Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rowing Club Recommendations

Options
  • 20-03-2017 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭

Anyone have any recommendations for a good rowing club in Cork ?
    Looking at starting for recreational purposes first and will see where I go from there.
    Not sure what clubs offer beginners courses for adults ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I'd also be interested in this. Used to row back home when I was in school and would be interested in starting up again.

As far as I know most the clubs are based in Blackrock. Not sure about training times or new members..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I'm only an occasional rower, so someone else might have better information, but here you go anyway.

The three in a row by blackrock are
    -Cork rowing club
    -Lee rowing Club
    -Shandon rowing club

Shandon def does adult rowing, I've gone there myself. The others probably do too.

There's the huge rowing center out by Farran woods as well, the national center where the olympians train.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

The three clubs listed above run adult beginner training courses during the year AFAIK, usually during the summer. All three clubs are "Olympic-style" rowing.

There is also a coastal rowing club based in Blackrock (you can find them on Facebook), and Meitheal Mara in the city centre who build and row currachs (I think they launch from the Marina, next to the Shandon boat club).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,033 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

The rowing club part of Meitheal Mara is http://www.naomhogachorcai.com/

Mostly recreational and very social.
    You can try it out on a Saturday morning.

And, yes, they operate out of the Shandon boat club grounds on the Marina.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Thanks all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement