Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilmessan GP. Sunday, March 26th

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

InTheAttic wrote: »
    There is a presentation before the season starts. There's also a personal assessment (mate of mine did his in phoenix park) to see which category you go into. But that assessment is not the same as riding in a bunch at high speed.

Also, I thought 1-day-open-racing-licenses had been done away with last year?

No I think 1 day licenses are still available up until the end of April.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭InTheAttic

Sarz91 wrote: »
    No I think 1 day licenses are still available up until the end of April.

Is that the same every year, where 1-day licenses are only available for the first few weeks of the season?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

Is that the same every year, where 1-day licenses are only available for the first few weeks of the season?

It's the same the past two years. I'm not sure about previous years but I believe they were available all season at the discretion of the race day organisers. As still is the case. I'm not 100% on that though so someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Derrydingle

InTheAttic wrote:
    Also, I thought 1-day-open-racing-licenses had been done away with last year?

They should be. Anyone who really wants to race have a full racing licence not just someone fancy giving it a go cos they watched it on eurosport last week. Also races should be limited to 100 reg on line that way no one is turned away that morning

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Glass Prison 1214

Sarz91 wrote: »
    No one was calling out obstacles or vehicles up the front of the bunch so some lads only saw the obstacle last second. I don't know what happened the first crash I just say a UCD rider down in the middle of the road.

The main crash, in which close to half the field was involved (not everyone came down but you know what I mean) was due to an oncoming car. Nothing to do with the driver or anything like that. Nothing was called out, some lads say it last second and tried to squeeze where there was no room. Ended in a massive pileup with some grim injuries from what I heard. Some lad ended up with a dislocated elbow apparently. Just about managed to avoid the crash myself and had to chase on for a bit.

There apparently was another up the climb to the finish on the second lap. I was in the break and didn't see it but I think it was a touch of wheels and a few lads went down.

There was Moto Marshall ahead and at intermittent stages a Marshall would shoot by us so I don't think it had anything to do with that. I think it was the number of riders. With one day licenses still available couples with the good weather it seemed as if everyone was out.

I am the UCD rider that crashed. I hit a bump in the road on the downhill section and it caused my hands to bounce off the handlebars for a split second and I went down. The bump wasn't very noticeable so it wasn't the fault of the riders in front of me, it was just one of those things.

Thankfully I didn't take anyone down with me, which was a minor miracle because I was in the centre of the road.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I am the UCD rider that crashed. I hit a bump in the road on the downhill section and it caused my hands to bounce off the handlebars for a split second and I went down. The bump wasn't very noticeable so it wasn't the fault of the riders in front of me, it was just one of those things.

Thankfully I didn't take anyone down with me, which was a minor miracle because I was in the centre of the road.

You won the most important race of the weekend too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Glass Prison 1214

Weepsie wrote: »
    You won the most important race of the weekend too.

Thats for sure ;)

It partially makes up for the damage I did to myself and my stuff in the crash.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭DKmac

Hands in the drops, should sort that out for ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

I know that exact bump from yest, bars nearly went out of my hands as i hit it and about two wheels back i heard a lad go down from it. thought i was out of the woods till i hit the deck myself later in the race

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭boysinblack

Was involved in the big A4 crash. Not really sure what happened seemed to be a sudden stop to up front because of a jeep anyways it filtered back and I couldn't avoid the guy in front of me and end up breaking my collarbone. Sickening but guess that's racing ...

• Advertisement

Was involved in the big A4 crash. Not really sure what happened seemed to be a sudden stop to up front because of a jeep anyways it filtered back and I couldn't avoid the guy in front of me and end up breaking my collarbone. Sickening but guess that's racing ...

Really sorry to hear that dude. Wish you a speedy recovery. Are you the bray wheelers lad who was lying to the left of the road? Bad crash in A3 as well where someone reached for their water bottle, swerved and took a few down. A bad day for a few riders it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Stevieg2009

Sorry to hear that I was a couple of bike lengths behind you managed to avoid it with a quick swerve to the left you hit the ground some whack if it's any consolation there was sweet f-all you could do from what I saw no fault of yours

• Registered Users Posts: 26 jalock20

Really sorry to hear that dude. Wish you a speedy recovery. Are you the bray wheelers lad who was lying to the left of the road? Bad crash in A3 as well where someone reached for their water bottle, swerved and took a few down. A bad day for a few riders it seems.

I mean if ya can't reach for a bottle without swerving and bringing riders down, you should probably take a break and practice basic bike handling skills. That is poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭boysinblack

Sorry to hear that I was a couple of bike lengths behind you managed to avoid it with a quick swerve to the left you hit the ground some whack if it's any consolation there was sweet f-all you could do from what I saw no fault of yours

Possibly that wasn't me. Im not the poor bray wheelers guy he looked in a bad way. I was towards the back of the crash and ran over some lad who did a tumble on his bike in front of me. Lucky he was fine though. The parademic told me I was ok after the accident but unfourantely my shoulder was a lot worse than it looked :/

Possibly that wasn't me. Im not the poor bray wheelers guy he looked in a bad way. I was towards the back of the crash and ran over some lad who did a tumble on his bike in front of me. Lucky he was fine though. The parademic told me I was ok after the accident but unfourantely my shoulder was a lot worse than it looked :/

I saw you then. You were folded up on top of another lad. I dismounted and ran around yous and saw the bray lad off to the left and he was cut up bad. Someone was shouting "Now is not the place lads" so I don't know if somebody had a go at someone else over the spill. I hope not!

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Big Mig

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Am I right in thinking that the Vets have to do some kind of safety course before they are allowed race? Maybe something like that needs to be brought into the CI events. Theory test before getting the license

There was a crash in the Vets race on Sunday too!!
    I think track accreditation before being let into an open race would help. Its all about observation and being aware of what's going on around you which can only be a good thing in an open race for someone new.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Crash looked nasty alrite:

***Video deleted

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Crash looked nasty alrite:
    Whoever recorded that is breaking CI rules and by putting it up on YouTube leaving themselves open to further sanction

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

On a YouTube account with their f'kin name on it?

Beasty wrote: »
    Whoever recorded that is breaking CI rules and by putting it up on YouTube leaving themselves open to further sanction

What rules are being broken can I ask? I'd assume one for the camera. Is the fact that there seems to be loads of riders on either side of the road a problem too, considering they're open roads?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Recording equipment on racing bikes is banned following some negative publicity arising from people putting such stuff up on social media and internet discussion sites...

EDIT: I know of at least one CI Commissaire with a Boards account ;)

On a YouTube account with their f'kin name on it?
    I was hoping the message would get back to the individual giving them chance to take it down before it gets reported

Weepsie wrote: »
    Is the fact that there seems to be loads of riders on either side of the road a problem too, considering they're open roads?
    That's exactly the sort of stuff people were putting up a couple of years ago which resulted in CI banning cameras

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Pity he didn't record the hilarious start of the race where about a quarter of the bunch struggled to clip in or threw gears.

It's gone now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Beasty wrote: »
    Recording equipment on racing bikes is banned following some negative publicity arising from people putting such stuff up on social media and internet discussion sites...
    Isn't that some crock of horse's shíte?!! Rather than use the footage to address the issue of careless/dangerous riding and hand out penalties to offenders we'll ban cameras so no one can prove anything.
    It'd make more sense to have multiple cameras fitted to random bikes before the race starts and commisares reviewing footage afterwards.

A camera is another piece of equipment that can come off a bike and cause issues too though ( i discovered this on the Sally gap at the weekend)

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭benneca1

Cant see it any more pity heard it was bad

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭happyhappy

Isn't that some crock of horse's shíte?!! Rather than use the footage to address the issue of careless/dangerous riding and hand out penalties to offenders we'll ban cameras so no one can prove anything.
    It'd make more sense to have multiple cameras fitted to random bikes before the race starts and commisares reviewing footage afterwards.

Yep, shooting the messanger is easier than fixing the actually issues.

I have a club mate who was injured last Sunday as a result of the crash (he's in the vid lying on the ground in a bad way) which has made me think about this.

Racing crashes happen - I was injured myself last year and missed most of the season but it occurred in a sprint and couldn't have been foreseen, it was just one of those things. However, The crash on the video where the car is coming against the bunch was totally avoidable.

This isn't a go at Skane Wheelers at all who are a great club - it's widespread in loads of races - why do we insist on putting 100+ Racing cyclists down a narrow open country road with cars coming against them and simply say 'stay on your own side of the road'. It's impossible. That video shows it.

Another example: The starter at race a few weeks back started the A4 race with an oncoming vehicle 50 metres away instead of waiting 15 seconds for it to clear. The bunch was squeezed and split and it was a mess. 200 metres up the road there was a massive puddle wit a car in it which forced everyone out again into oncoming traffic. What other sport would do this??

Last year another race went thru a temporary set of traffic lights on a fast part of the course. If a car had come thru on a legitimate green the opposite way there would have been carnage. I pointed it out to the comms prior to the race who told me that the civil defence would control the lights. As we passed there was a young civil defence lad who looked no more than 14 standing stopping the traffic at a green traffic light. Fair play to him but 450 odd cyclist came thru that red light at speed several times and there was huge potential for an accident. Again, what other sport who tolerate this lads.

I accept all the bad behaviour of riders, and some of it is shocking, but when are we going to start to get realistic above running these races without hoping for the best and properly fully risk assessing them.

The issue is the media get hold of it and use it against cycling in general and racing in particular. Then you potentially influence the attitude of AGS, particularly when the general public submit links along with their complaints about cyclists going over the white line and riding 3, 4 or 5 abreast. So yes - go ahead and publicise it as much as you want!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

the Commisares using cameras is a good idea...posting the footage online and making it public is a Bad idea!

I think if riders knew that there every move was recorded and could result in sanctions it would definitly help make riders behave better.

Advertisement