Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tipping the pizza guy.

Options
  • 20-03-2017 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭

Do you tip for takeway delivery?

My nephew got a job doing pizza delivery, and I was suprised when I remarked that he must make good tips, and he replied that on average it's only one in eight that tip.

Never crossed my mind not to give a €uro or two to the delivery person.
    (Depending on size of order)

Just wondering what ye think.

Tom

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

I would, if it was convenient.

O

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Always do its a nice thing to do and the money they get for doing it in the 1st place is sh1t.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Candlewick

I gather that pizza delivery people are paid very little. I'd imagine tips would make all the difference to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Candlewick wrote: »
    I gather that pizza delivery people are paid very little. I'd imagine tips would make all the difference to them.

Quit posting on the internet will ya and hurry up with my pizza.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭PhuckHugh

I'd generally throw them 2euro if i I have cash on me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Candlewick wrote:

Hmm you live in Ireland where there's a minimum wage so no!

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭The other fella

MayoSalmon wrote: »

Yes. With the fuel bill for your car in that job, you would come out with very little.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭DontThankMe

New a fella that delivered for dominos pizza earned €4:50 per hour and got €1:50 per delivery. If it was a slow night and he only did 2 deliveries an hour he was only getting €7:50. So some of them aren't earning minimum wage all the time therefore, tips can make a big difference to the amount they end up with at the of their shift.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

Actually, since I started paying with card on justeat I dont tend to tip as I dont have change. Must rectify that.

What I meant was for the job they do. I've passed a young pizza delivery guy on a bike, taking his life in his hands, in the dark, several times in recent weeks and it's damn hard work, for the minimum wage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Nope.

I have paid for my food, paid for delivery.

There not getting any more money for doing their job.

I use deliveroo a lot and usually tip 10%.

Yes. With the fuel bill for your car in that job, you would come out with very little.

And your point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭hungry hypno toad

What I meant was for the job they do. I've passed a young pizza delivery guy on a bike, taking his life in his hands, in the dark, several times in recent weeks and it's damn hard work, for the minimum wage.

No lights on the bike?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭hungry hypno toad

I prefer to pick up my takeaways.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Glen_Quagmire

I was only speaking to a mate about this the other night. He does deliveries for a Chinese and he gets 40 euro off them for a shift from 5pm to 12am. He gets to keep the delivery charge for every delivery too. To make it worth his while he relies on tips.

I always tip unless I litteraly have no change on me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Does the delivery charge go to the driver of the outlet?

I usually do €2. The few times Ive not tipped is because the food has been very late.

I prefer to pick up my takeaways.

I have never had a takeaway delivered but it's more practical for some and for others, it's probably just a habit or maybe a touch of laziness.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

Anytime I get pizza I collect it so I don't understand the tipping philosophy? If they are not being paid minimum wage then surely it is up to them to fight for more? Also I'm sure they are aware of the associated costs when they get the job.

That being said if I am ever to order for delivery I'd happily throw in a tip especially if it's a miserable night (which is the only reason I'd get pizza delivered).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Unless the are complete tools "as in the same fella evertime cannot find the house" I would tip, especially too if they are delivering in really ****ty weather.. Sometimes it might just be €1 or €2 euro but I would always try my best...Out of curiosity how much do drivers get paid

• Advertisement

Milly33 wrote: »
    Unless the are complete tools "as in the same fella evertime cannot find the house" I would tip, especially too if they are delivering in really ****ty weather.. Sometimes it might just be €1 or €2 euro but I would always try my best...Out of curiosity how much do drivers get paid

Well minimum wage at least over 18 €9.25..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

If there's a delivery charge, I don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Since using online sites I tip less as I generally don't have cash on me.

When I am paying by cash i make my decision based on the fumble in the pocket rule.
    If I get my change back immediately then I tip.
    If they try and pretend they don't know where their change is a fumble about in their pocket then I wait for every last cent. It does my head in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

I've passed a young pizza delivery guy on a bike, taking his life in his hands, in the dark, several times in recent weeks and it's damn hard work, for the minimum wage.

Heres my tip for that guy on the bike.

Wear a high vis vest and have lights fitted on the bike. Its too dangerous cycling the streets with no lights/safety gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

To think of all the ladies I've satisfied over the years with just the tip. They do appreciate it.

Really think it's important to tip young waitresses, as previously pointed out it's not a very well paid job and you have to respect people working it to try make a living a d better themselves.

myshirt wrote:
    Really think it's important to tip young waitresses, as previously pointed out it's not a very well paid job and you have to respect people working it to try make a living a d better themselves.

Then they should upskill themselves and get a new job. Tipping originates in the states where 1 waitresses are actually paid a lot less there here and 2 as an incentive to actually give good courtesy service.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

myshirt wrote: »
    To think of all the ladies I've satisfied over the years with just the tip. They do appreciate it.

The pot washer and trainee chefs also deserve a tip in that case.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

kingtut wrote: »
    The pot washer and trainee chefs also deserve a tip in that case.

Absolutely. I agree.

If you can afford to eat at a moderately priced restaurant, surely you can stretch it to throwing something into the tip bowl to share out amongst the low paid staff. I just think it's bad form not to.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Tom44

Then they should upskill themselves and get a new job. Tipping originates in the states where 1 waitresses are actually paid a lot less there here and 2 as an incentive to actually give good courtesy service.
    Quite a lot of student have part time low pay job's to try help get them through college.

• Advertisement

Tom44 wrote:
    Quite a lot of student have part time low pay job's to try help get them through college.

And?!! They have low paid jobs because their students who by rights haven't acquired the necessary skills or experience for a high paying job.

Advertisement