Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tipping the pizza guy.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    And?!! They have low paid jobs because their students who by rights haven't acquired the necessary skills or experience for a high paying job.

Are you Steve Buscemi by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Not in Cork first off.
    When I used to live where there was pizza delivery, we used to tip €2-€3 all the time. Drivers get crap wages so every little bit helps. Sometimes that could be a 30% tip but still.....

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭CitizenFloor

Is the delivery charge for the drivers or the establishment?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 DCD162

Every time i order my delivery charge jumps from €3.70 to €5 after my order is confirmed so I certainly dont tip! Thats with one specific restaurant obviously!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

No thats where I would cut the line I would not tip everyone.. Like waitresses if they are crap i wont tip them as I dont see why I would tip them for being crap... If it is a low paid job then they should be trying even harder to get tipped.... Is min wage that low I thought was more on €10...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

myshirt wrote: »
    To think of all the ladies I've satisfied over the years with just the tip. They do appreciate it.

Really think it's important to tip young waitresses, as previously pointed out it's not a very well paid job and you have to respect people working it to try make a living a d better themselves.

And what about the young low paid hard working waiters??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭11214

:eek: Christ we have some scabby feckers in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

ongarboy wrote: »
    And what about the young low paid hard working waiters??

Fair enough.

Just my own experience that it is mostly ladies in this space. I don't entirely tip the older women as much, maybe 5%, but I just like to tip the young girls a good tip. A lot of young Irish people don't have the right attitude and do not want to do these jobs, so i have great respect for young girls trying to earn a crust, I'll always encourage it and thank them.

Also, pro-tip, two people you have to treat well in your life are those that you're riding and those that are feeding you. Cork people of all people should know this. Anytime i ever seen a Cork person at even a Sunday carvery they'll always be the one to try charm the young lady into giving them an extra scoop of mash.

Always, always treat people well who are feeding you.

What thats mad so you tip a young person but not an older person, or lady shall we say!! Should you not tip because they have done a good job not because of their age.. Sure thats teaching them nothing.. Madness and to try and say we as Cork people abuse our Charm!! Well now, sure the charm is built in we dont abuse it just other people fall in love with our natural beauty.. :)

which i would like to follow up, i know it has nothing to do with this thread but the Cork Banter is the best, so much crack!! I have been testing it in the west and it just gets weird looks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Candlewick

Speaking of tipping, at least there's nothing quite as annoying as the tipping regime in the States. It's an awful racket. I remember being in a restaurant with some American friends, in America. Our server was really 'working her tip' with a completely insincere charm offensive. My American friends were totally taken in, the server got a big tip and it maddened me. I, of course would have left a tip but not the one they suggested, as it was excruciatingly insincere.

When I think of the job the pizza delivery guy does, now he earns his tip.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Tom44

Candlewick wrote: »
    Speaking of tipping, at least there's nothing quite as annoying as the tipping regime in the States. It's an awful racket. I remember being in a restaurant with some American friends, in America. Our server was really 'working her tip' with a completely insincere charm offensive. My American friends were totally taken in, the server got a big tip and it maddened me. I, of course would have left a tip but not the one they suggested, as it was excruciatingly insincere.

When I think of the job the pizza delivery guy does, now he earns his tip.
    In America some waitresses jobs are $2 per hour or less, basically because the are expensive restaurants with big tippers.
    The mind boggles :confused:

On the radio lately, it was Joe Duffy, live line.
    Waitresses/ waiters on minimum wages were forced to pay customers bill if customer did a runner.:mad:

Other topic
    To get their job, some had to work a night or two without pay as they were on trial !!!
    Jist of the radio show, was this was this system was abused constantly by some restaurants on more than a regular basis with a big turnover of staff.

I have no personal knowledge, but it was on the radio.

Tom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭JimmyTClarke

Are you Steve Buscemi by any chance?

And he's playing the world's smallest violin.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭LovelySpuds

I work for a big pizza franchise and delivery drivers get E4.50 an hour plus E1.50 per delivery. Drivers are "independent contractors" so this is how they are getting paid so little.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I always tip after eating a meal. If he's still there after I've finished a pizza he's not getting a tip. That's kinda weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭con___manx1

I tip because I have worked these low paying kind in the past. At least they are not sitting on there hole on the dole. A euro or two won't break the bank .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

I work for a big pizza franchise and delivery drivers get E4.50 an hour plus E1.50 per delivery. Drivers are "independent contractors" so this is how they are getting paid so little.

Yup and deliveroo I think are are on 6.40 an hour? Was in the news there recently wasn't it?

I do tip, even a euro. If the food is late, I still tip though. As it isn't late due to the driver ( you can see tracking on most deliveries )

So remember that. Tip the driver even if the order is late as he probably did his job and got it delivered within 10 mins, but the order was delayed any the store. After all the tip is for the driver only.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭WoolyJumper

When I used to pay at the door I'd always say keep the change for yourself which usually worked out to be 2/3€ but now I pay online it suddenly feels patronising to hand them over €2 euro as a tip. I know its probably illogical and they would rather I gave them the tip but every time it comes to it, it feels to awkward and I never bother.

I dont think id survive in american with system they have there.. I know they are paid less but again in my head I would be thinking then why do a job that pays that much money.. Im am honestly shocked to read how badly paid they are here, how do places get away with it..It doesnt even make sense really to do the jobs as, it seems it would cost more to be a delivery driver

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    Hmm you live in Ireland where there's a minimum wage so no!
    When he's not driving, he's not working, thus some places don't pay you when you're doing nothing.

=-=

When I regularly got pizza, I'd tip, as my food would get to me quicker.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

If I'm charged for delivery, I don't tip. Particularly if I order from Justeat, as they charge 50c for card payment as well.
    Pay at the door and I usually say keep the change

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

Just remember guys

Tipping the driver is a tip for the driver. Not the business or anything related to it.

so if Justeat charge 50C for the delivery, just eat get that money - not the driver,

so in this case, the driver won't get a tip as Just eat charge 50c seems at odds with the original intent of the tip in the first place.

He doesn't have any say in the company, so if the company does **** to you, then by not tipping the driver, the company won't take that as any lesson. Just seems weird not to tip based on reasons outside the driver, when in fact it is the driver you are tipping

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Its 50c for a credit/debit card charge, its €2 charge for delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Tom44

When I used to pay at the door I'd always say keep the change for yourself which usually worked out to be 2/3€ but now I pay online it suddenly feels patronising to hand them over €2 euro as a tip. I know its probably illogical and they would rather I gave them the tip but every time it comes to it, it feels to awkward and I never bother.
    Tip is a tip, doubt delivery guy will be to offended, but fair play to him for putting the tip in his pocket to save you the embarrassment of him or her handing it back to you.

Ha ha

flexcon wrote: »
    Yup and deliveroo I think are are on 6.40 an hour? Was in the news there recently wasn't it?

I do tip, even a euro. If the food is late, I still tip though. As it isn't late due to the driver ( you can see tracking on most deliveries )

So remember that. Tip the driver even if the order is late as he probably did his job and got it delivered within 10 mins, but the order was delayed any the store. After all the tip is for the driver only.
    I read someone on here saying they got the minimum wage, which this is very definitely not.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tracey turnblad

My son works for deliveroo. They don't get an hourly wage. They get paid per delivery something like 4.25, I'm not 100% sure. They are self employed deliveroo pays them their money and they have to do their own taxes etc. My son is in college so it suits him because he's his own boss and can work whatever hours suits him. I usually order on just eat and as it's card payment I used to not tip because I usually had no cash. Now I make it my business to make sure I have €2 to give to the driver. My son cycles the legs off himself for the night and doesn't get paid enough for the job he does it's tough, but at the moment it's all he can do with college and his football etc. He loves cycling luckily enough

My son works for deliveroo. They don't get an hourly wage. They get paid per delivery something like 4.25, I'm not 100% sure. They are self employed deliveroo pays them their money and they have to do their own taxes etc. My son is in college so it suits him because he's his own boss and can work whatever hours suits him. I usually order on just eat and as it's card payment I used to not tip because I usually had no cash. Now I make it my business to make sure I have €2 to give to the driver. My son cycles the legs off himself for the night and doesn't get paid enough for the job he does it's tough, but at the moment it's all he can do with college and his football etc. He loves cycling luckily enough
    Good to be able to get some extra money and a bit easier from now on, I reckon, with the brighter evenings. Pretty awful money though, especially if you had an unlucky night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭enzo roco

Nope.

I have paid for my food, paid for delivery.

There not getting any more money for doing their job.

The anger in you is high.
    Do you tip for a taxi???
    Do you tip in a restaurant???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

Its a **** job, so I always pay a tip to these types of jobs.

• Advertisement

You should tip to insure some whats against "extra toppings" on the next delivery.

Advertisement