Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€300M Investment into Waterford City

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Motivator wrote: »
    Brown Thomas? Are you on drugs? The busiest retail outlet in Waterford is Pennys and there’s a reason. No high end shop has ever done well in Waterford. Pamela Scott and Tommy Hilfiger are two that spring to mind. One closed and the other has never ever been busy, I’m not sure how they’re still open. If you think of the most expensive retail outlets in Ireland would even think about coming to Waterford you haven’t the slightest idea about the city.

There’s no jobs in the city, there’s no money in the city. That’s the bottom line unfortunately. People need to face facts instead of saying everything is grand. It isn’t grand, the city has been dying for years and the City Council are 100% the ones are to blame.

What are you on about? So we should not look to the likes of BT? Cop on.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭somahoney74

Motivator wrote: »
    Brown Thomas? Are you on drugs? The busiest retail outlet in Waterford is Pennys and there’s a reason. No high end shop has ever done well in Waterford. Pamela Scott and Tommy Hilfiger are two that spring to mind. One closed and the other has never ever been busy, I’m not sure how they’re still open. If you think of the most expensive retail outlets in Ireland would even think about coming to Waterford you haven’t the slightest idea about the city.

There’s no jobs in the city, there’s no money in the city. That’s the bottom line unfortunately. People need to face facts instead of saying everything is grand. It isn’t grand, the city has been dying for years and the City Council are 100% the ones are to blame.

You are talking complete rubbish. The Tommy Hilfiger store in the city is one of the busiest in the country. That is a fact. The Pamel Scott shop is also one of the busiest in the country. Your assumptions are just that. Now stop talking about something you know nothing about.
    Sorry for the rant.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭MoashoaM

dzilla wrote: »
    I wonder could the unit be split and partitioned up more putting units/shopfronts facing onto Bakehouse lane and lady lane. Be a massive job all the same.

Lady Lane was an elegant street. It's a pity how the designers of CS never made High Street and Lady Lane a part of the shopping experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Internet shopping took off in the UK faster than anywhere else in the western world and I think Ireland wasn't far behind once we started to get 1 MB lines to zoom about with. There's something about the aesthetic of shopping in much of continental Europe - trams, shops, plazas, cafes, fountains, the sun - "la dolce vita" while we're scurrying about in rain and windswept car parks attached to low grey boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭road_high

dzilla wrote: »
    +1, I think they put a big push in the last 18 months on becoming more online based and mixing this with the high street. They began offering click and collect and free returns to store. I think it might have been too little too late however. They carried more premium brands online but not in store. I think offerings they had instore in Waterford at least where poor, red herring/ mantarray etc just never did it for me anyway. Always thought such a department store should be focused on more premium brands like Arnotts in Dublin do.

Yeah definitely, its a national issue more than a Waterford issue really, the high street is under threat.

Yes you are right, at the time Roches kept ownership of the property as per -
    https://www.rte.ie/archives/2016/0726/804939-roches-stores-sell-to-debenhams/

I liked aspects of Debenhams but boy did they stock a lot of boring unstylish tat. Endless rows of boring, substandard clothes often piled into endless Blue X rails. Not a very enticing set up. Accessories and house hold stuff were better in my experience.
    Some of the brands were poor - Red Herring stuff wasn’t much better than Penney’s but three times the price

• Advertisement

🧵
    You are talking complete rubbish. The Tommy Hilfiger store in the city is one of the busiest in the country. That is a fact. The Pamel Scott shop is also one of the busiest in the country. Your assumptions are just that. Now stop talking about something you know nothing about.
    Sorry for the rant.

Tommy Hilfiger is one of the best in Waterford in my opinion. Staff are really good there, very friendly and helpful. Service is second to none but it is a premium product. I hope they survive

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭azimuth17

Internet shopping took off in the UK faster than anywhere else in the western world and I think Ireland wasn't far behind once we started to get 1 MB lines to zoom about with. There's something about the aesthetic of shopping in much of continental Europe - trams, shops, plazas, cafes, fountains, the sun - "la dolce vita" while we're scurrying about in rain and windswept car parks attached to low grey boxes.

Nail on the head. Waterford tried to introduce pedestrianisation and created some beautiful streets and even though its only a short distance to walk from anywhere, some people went cracked. Irish people want their cars. Maybe we are peasants on a rain soaked island anyway and lack mainland European sophistication , and climate and trams although new bus services are excellent and working well and will change the dynamic. City centre does need a lift in retail. Everyone agrees on that. Whether that will happen AC remains unclear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Deiseen

alta stare wrote: »
    How dare you question this spoo....sorry man.

That is harsh. You might not like the way he comes across but he has submitted a gargantuan amount of documentation for planning permission and brought the attention of Waterford to a big developer willing to invest money in our forgotten city. Without him, would we even be talking about the moving of the station and the pedestrian bridge? I'm not so sure we would.

He took a gamble on his home county and I'm sure this Covid-19 situation has him under unimaginable pressure.

This is what happens when you stick your neck out in Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭jelutong

Hopefully we might see the Ard Ri hotel being developed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

jelutong wrote: »

Have a break will yee!! The best thing we can all do is watch that TV show Grow Cook Eat in Grow HQ

We are totally fooooooooooked.

• Advertisement

Deiseen wrote: »
    That is harsh. You might not like the way he comes across but he has submitted a gargantuan amount of documentation for planning permission and brought the attention of Waterford to a big developer willing to invest money in our forgotten city. Without him, would we even be talking about the moving of the station and the pedestrian bridge? I'm not so sure we would.

He took a gamble on his home county and I'm sure this Covid-19 situation has him under unimaginable pressure.

This is what happens when you stick your neck out in Waterford.

Forgotten city :D such dramatics.

His gamble hasn't paid off yet has it so id hang on there with your celebration of him just yet.

This what happens when you stick your neck out?????? Will you give over for gods sake.

Forgotten city :D such dramatics.

His gamble hasn't paid off yet has it so id hang on there with your celebration of him just yet.

This what happens when you stick your neck out?????? Will you give over for gods sake.

1. Waterford is a forgotten city, within a forgotten region. FACT.

2. I'm not celebrating him and didn't say his gamble had paid off. I'll celebrate when/if the thing is built. I'm just pointing out that you are out of line to call him a spoofer.

2. I'm not celebrating him and didn't say his gamble had paid off. I'll celebrate when/if the thing is built. I'm just pointing out that you are out of line to call him a spoofer.

Forgotten by who? What about all the other towns in Ireland? Jesus some of ye have a complex about any government in this country. How about thinking that Waterford is clearly not that as important as ye think and i say all this being from Waterford and working in Waterford. Face the facts...our dear ol city isnt as important to the government as ye like to think.

We will all celebrate if not only this is built but it is successful. Do i believe this will happen....no...why.... because i believe Rob Cass is a spoofer.....am i allowed hold and express that view..... yes.

Now i have done all this before with you and others joined in so much to the point that i was attacked from angles so i think we will agree there is no point in doing so again but if you insist on it then im fair game.

Forgotten by who? What about all the other towns in Ireland? Jesus some of ye have a complex about any government in this country. How about thinking that Waterford is clearly not that as important as ye think and i say all this being from Waterford and working in Waterford. Face the facts...our dear ol city isnt as important to the government as ye like to think.

We will all celebrate if not only this is built but it is successful. Do i believe this will happen....no...why.... because i believe Rob Cass is a spoofer.....am i allowed hold and express that view..... yes.

Now i have done all this before with you and others joined in so much to the point that i was attacked from angles so i think we will agree there is no point in doing so again but if you insist on it then im fair game.

So you think we have publc services and receive government investment comparable to other regions in areas of health, education and infrastructure?

If you want to call him a spoofer would care to explain why? Hes

• Registered Users Posts: 38,363 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Is it possible to do a boatrip tour from quay out to Dunmore/Woodstown and back again ??

So you think we have publc services and receive government investment comparable to other regions in areas of health, education and infrastructure?

If you want to call him a spoofer would care to explain why? Hes

We have less than Dublin Cork Galway Limerick etc but we havemore than most so what's your problem? Would i like us to have more..of course but we just arent important to the government or pretty much any previous governments before. We had Martin Cullen do so much for us and people still gave out. We can try do loads of positive things to make our city better and people have tried but in the grand scheme of things we just arent strategically important for those in power.

I told you before i think he is a spoofer due to public criticism of the government. He done it here just so he could get thanks off the usual crowd on here. He does it on Twitter. No professional would go about business in that manner.

Have you memory loss or are you really that bored today? We have done all this before and iv no interest in doing so again.

We have less than Dublin Cork Galway Limerick etc but we havemore than most so what's your problem? Would i like us to have more..of course but we just arent important to the government or pretty much any previous governments before. We had Martin Cullen do so much for us and people still gave out. We can try do loads of positive things to make our city better and people have tried but in the grand scheme of things we just arent strategically important for those in power.

I told you before i think he is a spoofer due to public criticism of the government. He done it here just so he could get thanks off the usual crowd on here. He does it on Twitter. No professional would go about business in that manner.

Have you memory loss or are you really that bored today? We have done all this before and iv no interest in doing so again.

Well at that stage, he hadn't done anything.

But now we have the bridge construction going to tender, planning permission submitted for the development, plans for the station moving ahead and millions guaranteed from the government to allow for infrastructure around the development. He's been central to all of this.

At what point does he stop being a spoofer?

jelutong wrote: »

Unfortunately the hotel and leisure sector is taking a pounding. Can’t under stand why it was never redeveloped before now but definitely won’t be any time soon. Let’s hope the country’s existing hotels survive

Well at that stage, he hadn't done anything.

But now we have the bridge construction going to tender, planning permission submitted for the development, plans for the station moving ahead and millions guaranteed from the government to allow for infrastructure around the development. He's been central to all of this.

At what point does he stop being a spoofer?

How about you go into the city and take a walk around when it is quiet. Take in how nice it is. Walk the streets. Get a feel for how much better it is than say Dublin or Cork. We dont need some massive development to have a nice progressive place to live and work in. The city is doing fine, relax and enjoy it... you might then give up on winding yourself up on what someone else on Boards thinks.

I dont know when he stops being a spoofer nor do i know when he started. To be fair i dont really care either. He means nothing to me but he clearly means something to you. Boards has some strange people on it at times. You do realise you are falling all over yourself to try and defend him....mad i tells ya.... But i know and accept you will try to justify your comments while calling out mine as if you are the almighty defender of Rob and our City.

I wouldn’t say so. For its population the infrastructure is second to none. The M9 motorway and N25 bypass are superb, the rail line is pretty good, WIT is an excellent third level facility.
    There’s regions and counties up the midlands and northern half of the country that don’t have the colour of this infrastructure, their population density is not especially lower. If you moved down from say Sligo or Monaghan for example then you’d be a lot better served in a pace like Waterford city or county

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Alta,

Honestly that's just deluded, the place is full of bad metrics. Educational achievement, job creation, health care, per capita income. You name it.

How about you go into the city and take a walk around when it is quiet. Take in how nice it is. Walk the streets. Get a feel for how much better it is than say Dublin or Cork. We dont need some massive development to have a nice progressive place to live and work in. The city is doing fine, relax and enjoy it... you might then give up on winding yourself up on what someone else on Boards thinks.

I dont know when he stops being a spoofer nor do i know when he started. To be fair i dont really care either. He means nothing to me but he clearly means something to you. Boards has some strange people on it at times. You do realise you are falling all over yourself to try and defend him....mad i tells ya.... But i know and accept you will try to justify your comments while calling out mine as if you are the almighty defender of Rob and our City.

The only thing I have said to you is that your comment was unfair and look how worked up you are getting.

Town is not doing well and you've admitted in your other posts that we are forgotten even though you told me I was being dramatic when I said it!

I'm sorry but what actual planet are you on?

Alta,

Honestly that's just deluded, the place is full of bad metrics, educational achievement, job creation, health care, per capita income. You name it.

On Waterford’s educational attainment? Why is it Lower than places that don’t even have such a facility? That’s not going to change if you stick a university sign over the gate.

road_high wrote: »
    I wouldn’t say so. For its population the infrastructure is second to none. The M9 motorway and N25 bypass are superb, the rail line is pretty good, WIT is an excellent third level facility.
    There’s regions and counties up the midlands and northern half of the country that don’t have the colour of this infrastructure, their population density is not especially lower. If you moved down from say Sligo or Monaghan for example then you’d be a lot better served in a pace like Waterford city or county

Waterford is not comparable to Sligo or Monaghan. It's the main city within the South East Region.

WIT punches above its weight and we are luvky to have it but it's living off peanuts in comparison to other educational institutions.

Take this as one example of many -
    https://www.breakingnews.ie/business/over-300-jobs-announced-as-part-of-university-of-limericks-multi-million-euro-expansion-961116.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭azimuth17

Alta,

Honestly that's just deluded, the place is full of bad metrics. Educational achievement, job creation, health care, per capita income. You name it.

The SEEM report reports the same difficult metrics for the entire south east. That has to be said, instead of giving the impression that we are alone. We require a political solution. Will be difficult to achieve AC, but must be worked at.

The only thing I have said to you is that your comment was unfair and look how worked up you are getting.

Town is not doing well and you've admitted in your other posts that we are forgotten even though you told me I was being dramatic when I said it!

I'm sorry but what actual planet are you on?

:D

No im most definitely not getting worked up.

You are suggesting we are in the mire but we arent in the grand scheme of things. Do i think we are thriving... Of course i dont but we wont turn into a dirty old run down City if this development doesnt happen.

I'm on planet earth just like you.

:D

No im most definitely not getting worked up.

You are suggesting we are in the mire but we arent in the grand scheme of things. Do i think we are thriving... Of course i dont but we wont turn into a dirty old run down City if this development doesnt happen.

I'm on planet earth just like you.

Your saying we are not viewed as important as Cork, Dublin, Limerick or Galway. But we are supposed to be recognised at exactly the same level as them. Can you please explain what that means?

It is a dirty (not the streets) run down old city. It's improved a lot since the recession but dirty and run down it most definitely still is.

Alta,

Really? We have a modern hospital which is better than most around the country. We have a massive well regarded institute of technology. As pointed out we have some good road infrastructure. We do have a decent amount of retail quality. Absolutely we could do better just as alot of places could The city isnt as bad as some make it out to be. Id love it if this development made this city better than what it is but it doesnt mean if it doesn't go ahead that the city will fail.

Your saying we are not viewed as important as Cork, Dublin, Limerick or Galway. But we are supposed to be recognised at exactly the same level as them. Can you please explain what that means?

It is a dirty (not the streets) run down old city. It's improved a lot since the recession but dirty and run down it most definitely still is.

We are not as important to those in power as those above are. I didn't say we are recognised as the same level as the above.

• Advertisement

We are not as important to those in power as those above are. I didn't say we are recognised as the same level as the above.

The fact is, we are recognised on the same level in every development plan going. If we are not getting comparable funding to the other cities because we are not deemed as important by those in charge then that means we are..........

Come on say it!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement