Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€300M Investment into Waterford City

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Deiseen wrote: »
    The fact is, we are recognised on the same level in every development plan going. If we are not getting comparable funding to the other cities because we are not deemed as important by those in charge then that means we are..........

Come on say it!

Not important to those in power.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Deiseen

alta stare wrote: »
    Not important to those in power.

So forgotten then

So forgotten then

No. They know where we are they just dont care enough or think we are needed as much as we sorry ye like to think Waterford is. We are not forgotten at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Waterford is not comparable to Sligo or Monaghan. It's the main city within the South East Region.

WIT punches above its weight and we are luvky to have it but it's living off peanuts in comparison to other educational institutions.

Take this as one example of many -
    https://www.breakingnews.ie/business/over-300-jobs-announced-as-part-of-university-of-limericks-multi-million-euro-expansion-961116.html

Yes but in reality it’s a small city in a small country with a tier of small cities. A bit of perspective is badly needed. Proportional for a small city that isn’t that far from Dublin or cork it does rather well in terms of infrastructure. Everyone tends to think their own areas are hard done by, it’s a natural bias. Dubs think they are subsidising the rest of us. In some ways they are.
    I travel the country a lot with work and the notion Waterford is completely ignored does not stack up- sorry. You probably have to live outside it to see that. Some parts of the country don’t even have a railway line or natural gas lines serving then, reasonably large towns too.

road_high wrote: »
    Yes but in reality it’s a small city in a small country with a tier of small cities. A bit of perspective is badly needed. Proportional for a small city that isn’t that far from Dublin or cork it does rather well in terms of infrastructure. Everyone tends to think their own areas are hard done by, it’s a natural bias. Dubs think they are subsidising the rest of us. In some ways they are.
    I travel the country a lot with work and the notion Waterford is completely ignored does not stack up- sorry. You probably have to live outside it to see that. Some parts of the country don’t even have a railway line or natural gas lines serving then, reasonably large towns too.

That kind of thinking doesnt suit the narrative here so be gone with you :D

• Advertisement

Look, there are plenty of forgotten places in Ireland but none of them are meant to be the drivers of entire regions like Waterford is.

Its over double the size of the next biggest town so if its going to be compared, it needs to be compared with Cork, Dublin, Galway and Limerick. Compared to those we are anonymous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

Actually it does stack up.

https://www.wit.ie/schools/business/south-east-economic-monitor

As stated you can't compare Waterford to "a lot of the country" just to Cork, Dublin, Galway and Limerick. It is frankly laughable to suggest we get a fair crack of the whip compared to Cork, Dublin, Galway and Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭decies

Right am going to talk about the elephant in the room here . Waterford people don’t support their own enough , during the so called Celtic Tigers years, huge numbers were either heading north or flying to New York on dedicated shopping trips. Then the recession hit , followed by the rise of internet shopping so lots of shops struggling before this damn virus hits and we head into the mother of all recession . Finally people have been complaining about the price of parking in the city for 20 years !! So any chance that north Quays is built or a success you have to attract the big uk stores to get the customers from surrounding areas . There was always the possibility that a recession would hit before it got going , the timing is unfortunate but the chances are literally receding by the week of this thing happening . To be honest it’s going to be a struggle just to keep what we got now in coming months / years then taking on a whole new project .I Hope am bloody wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Flow Motion

decies wrote: »
    Right am going to talk about the elephant in the room here . Waterford people don’t support their own enough , during the so called Celtic Tigers years, huge numbers were either heading north or flying to New York on dedicated shopping trips. Then the recession hit , followed by the rise of internet shopping so lots of shops struggling before this damn virus hits and we head into the mother of all recession . Finally people have been complaining about the price of parking in the city for 20 years !! So any chance that north Quays is built or a success you have to attract the big uk stores to get the customers from surrounding areas . There was always the possibility that a recession would hit before it got going , the timing is unfortunate but the chances are literally receding by the week of this thing happening . To be honest it’s going to be a struggle just to keep what we got now in coming months / years then taking on a whole new project .I Hope am bloody wrong.

Sadly you are not wrong. You speak the truth. And a lot of sense to boot. The shops have been closed since around Paddy's day and being optimistic it will be June at the earliest before they open. Probably longer. It's going to be one hell of a comedown. Forget recession it's shaping up to be another great depression.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭imacman

Well at that stage, he hadn't done anything.

But now we have the bridge construction going to tender, planning permission submitted for the development, plans for the station moving ahead and millions guaranteed from the government to allow for infrastructure around the development. He's been central to all of this.

At what point does he stop being a spoofer?

Those millions guaranteed are going to disappear as the recession / depression that is coming starts to bite.There will be lots of hard choices to be made and faciilting private developers on a risky development ,( which will only become more risky ) will be the one first things to go. The NQ is dead duck in its current form

• Advertisement

imacman wrote: »
    Those millions guaranteed are going to disappear as the recession / depression that is coming starts to bite.There will be lots of hard choices to be made and faciilting private developers on a risky development ,( which will only become more risky ) will be the one first things to go. The NQ is dead duck in its current form

It's very possible but for now we just do not know so lets wait and see.

The government money does not facilitate private developers on a risky development. It facilitates the development of a large part of the city and is independent of this specific North Quays development. People need to begin to understand this. This money is not for the developer.

It's very possible but for now we just do not know so lets wait and see.

The government money does not facilitate private developers on a risky development. It facilitates the development of a large part of the city and is independent of this specific North Quays development. People need to begin to understand this. This money is not for the developer.

Do you think the foot bridge will go ahead when the recession takes hold?

If we could get that at least, then it'll be a start.

A lot of economists are saying that we need to handle the aftermath of this different to the last financial crisis, and that means spending our way out of it.

So who knows, maybe it might benefit the North Quays. Lets just wait and see because nobody has a clue what's going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Dexpat

Who knows what will happen economically but the bridge needs to be done as a statement of ambition. It will also link the Waterford greenway which will be extended up to the clock tower with the greenway being developed from New Ross. Even if the NQ is delayed or doesn't happen in its present scale it will help develop the tourism sector that Waterford has been lacking in. This then helps to stimulate demand for bars, hotels retail etc. The bridge will then be in place to facilitate development when eventually the tide turns.

It will be a long few years before we get through this but doing nothing shouldn't be an option.

Dexpat wrote: »
    Who knows what will happen economically but the bridge needs to be done as a statement of ambition. It will also link the Waterford greenway which will be extended up to the clock tower with the greenway being developed from New Ross. Even if the NQ is delayed or doesn't happen in its present scale it will help develop the tourism sector that Waterford has been lacking in. This then helps to stimulate demand for bars, hotels retail etc. The bridge will then be in place to facilitate development when eventually the tide turns.

It will be a long few years before we get through this but doing nothing shouldn't be an option.

Spot on. If we repeat the procedure from the last crisis then Ireland is doomed. The country will not survive a repeat of the last decade or so.

That's why I think people saying that this development is finished are wrong.

We need development like this to get us out of the hole that we will find ourselves in. If that just means the infrastructure around the development then it sets us up for the future.

If we could get that at least, then it'll be a start.

A lot of economists are saying that we need to handle the aftermath of this different to the last financial crisis, and that means spending our way out of it.

So who knows, maybe it might benefit the North Quays. Lets just wait and see because nobody has a clue what's going to happen.

I agree that it should go ahead no matter what but whether it will remains to be seen. I hope it does. I also hope we get a new vehicle bridge but i guess ill have to wait a long time for that to happen :D

Dexpat wrote: »

You are absolutely correct...doing nothing should not be an option and i hope the City Council see it that way.

I agree that it should go ahead no matter what but whether it will remains to be seen. I hope it does. I also hope we get a new vehicle bridge but i guess ill have to wait a long time for that to happen :D

The infrastructure planned for the NQ area facilitates the construction of a new bridge at the tower hotel.

The infrastructure planned for the NQ area facilitates the construction of a new bridge at the tower hotel.

I dont envision a new bridge being built in that location. It would do nothing to solve traffic flow.

I dont envision a new bridge being built in that location. It would do nothing to solve traffic flow.

Its a foot bridge!!!

• Advertisement

Its a foot bridge!!!

We are not on about the footbridge we are referring to the possibility of a vehicle bridge near the tower. Go back and read the previous posts and you will see that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

We are not on about the footbridge we are referring to the possibility of a vehicle bridge near the tower. Go back and read the previous posts and you will see that.

That's a 20 year job I think. Not on the immediate horizon.

hardybuck wrote: »
    That's a 20 year job I think. Not on the immediate horizon.

I think you could be right.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭imacman

Spot on. If we repeat the procedure from the last crisis then Ireland is doomed. The country will not survive a repeat of the last decade or so.

That's why I think people saying that this development is finished are wrong.

We need development like this to get us out of the hole that we will find ourselves in. If that just means the infrastructure around the development then it sets us up for the future.
    Problem is Waterford has no pull on the political stage , we may have had a chance if Sinn Fein had got in as David Cullinane would have been front bench but with a FF/FG Waterford will be at the back of the pack again.

WIT will be forced into a merger with ITCarlow to become a TU where Carlow will be the dominant party as they have political backing. (this has been actively pushed by FG over the last few years and there is massive reluctance in WIT to move forward knowing it will be marginalized by Carlow read back through
    this thread https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055386394 if you want an insight on how toxic that merger process is and it has barely started) Also I think the hospital will only get as much investment as is needed to keep people quite.

If Waterford has been at the bottom of the list for investment over the last 5 years of a growing economy I cant see that changing as a recession sets in especially when there will be no representative with any political influence at ministerial level.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

Hate to be pedantic but its a City not a town.

dzilla wrote: »
    Hate to be pedantic but its a City not a town.

Why don't you tell them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Town is a fine colloquialism for locals but not appropriate as a headline in the Paper of Record.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

Why don't you tell them?

The fact that I won't write letters to the editor because my interest level dosen't go that far dosen't mean I won't come on here and have a moan.

• Advertisement

dzilla wrote: »
    The fact that I won't write letters to the editor because my interest level dosen't go that far dosen't mean I won't come on here and have a moan.

Ha, quite right. Dear Sirs...that might be a rerun of the TV3 weather debacle again!

I'd say an email might suffice.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement