Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€300M Investment into Waterford City

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

hardybuck wrote: »
    Ha, quite right. Dear Sirs...that might be a rerun of the TV3 weather debacle again!

I'd say an email might suffice.

Done ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

Town is a fine colloquialism for locals but not appropriate as a headline in the Paper of Record.

The writer is a local too but your right headline should be city.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

dzilla wrote: »
    Hate to be pedantic but its a City not a town.

You are not being pedantic at all. It is actually funny this has come up today and is from a local journalist that should know better. Have been thinking lately we don’t push Waterford’s city status enough these days. Historically it was trumpeted at every opportunity. Next time you are in an old grave yard in the city look at how they even wrote “John whoever from the city of Waterford” on head stones. Waterford is one of only a few places in the country the term city stacks up. Don’t know why so many people here seem to think the title does not matter.

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/0414/1130475-plans-lodged-for-extension-of-liffey-valley-centre/

For those that think the shopping centre part of the north quays development and bricks and mortar retail in general is dead. Interesting retail development announced today. Waterford is not the only one who thinks retail has a future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭azimuth17

BBM77 wrote: »
    You are not being pedantic at all. It is actually funny this has come up today and is from a local journalist that should know better. Have been thinking lately we don’t push Waterford’s city status enough these days. Historically it was trumpeted at every opportunity. Next time you are in an old grave yard in the city look at how they even wrote “John whoever from the city of Waterford” on head stones. Waterford is one of only a few places in the country the term city stacks up. Don’t know why so many people here seem to think the title does not matter.

I posted this on the Coronavirus thread. It was aimed at no one in particular. It is more appropriate here. I don't know if the North Quays will ever see the light of day, but........

Wrong thread and aimed at no one in particular but: The ability of some to run down Waterford city is astounding. Are our own worse than anyone? I work part time in city centre and always try to help people in business there by shopping there. The meme that everything is bad wrong worse and/or not up to what is available everywhere else is incredible. We have problems which need a political solution but to keep kicking the s**t out of the place is a self reinforcing downward circle which benefits no one except those urban areas we compete with. Will an FF/FG/A N Other coalition solve the problems?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Deiseen

azimuth17 wrote: »
    I posted this on the Coronavirus thread. It was aimed at no one in particular. It is more appropriate here. I don't know if the North Quays will ever see the light of day, but........

Wrong thread and aimed at no one in particular but: The ability of some to run down Waterford city is astounding. Are our own worse than anyone? I work part time in city centre and always try to help people in business there by shopping there. The meme that everything is bad wrong worse and/or not up to what is available everywhere else is incredible. We have problems which need a political solution but to keep kicking the s**t out of the place is a self reinforcing downward circle which benefits no one except those urban areas we compete with. Will an FF/FG/A N Other coalition solve the problems?

I talk up Waterford every chance I get. At the same time, I am under absolutely no illusion that the other 4 cities are around a decade ahead of us (at least) and showing no signs of slowing down to wait for us.

azimuth17 wrote: »

Unfortunately, this is very true. Came across examples myself over the years of Waterford people ridiculously putting Waterford down when the reality actually is Waterford faired better.

Retail is a case in point. People see a few empty units or Debenhams closing and they say there is nothing in the city centre it is dead. I mean it is bull s***e. The reality is in spite of the challenges retailers face today Waterford city centre is holding up well compared to other places. When a good unit becomes available it gets taken up quickly. Even in the UK there are places the size of Waterford with virtually empty high streets.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭imacman

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/0414/1130475-plans-lodged-for-extension-of-liffey-valley-centre/

For those that think the shopping centre part of the north quays development and bricks and mortar retail in general is dead. Interesting retail development announced today. Waterford is not the only one who thinks retail has a future.
    I dont think you can compare the shopping center /mall developments in Dublin to Waterford . The population base in Dublin( 1.3 million) facilitates those massive shopping centers, and there are only 3 at that scale Blanchardstown , Liffey Valley and Dundrum. They have become destinations in themselves and they are not operating in the same circumstances as smaller regional shopping centers.

imacman wrote: »
    I dont think you can compare the shopping center /mall developments in Dublin to Waterford . The population base in Dublin( 1.3 million) facilitates those massive shopping centers, and there are only 3 at that scale Blanchardstown , Liffey Valley and Dundrum. They have become destinations in themselves and can't be compared to smaller regional shopping centers.

Was not comparing on population but the south east has the population for the north quays development. However it shows that a new shopping centre is not an outlier. Sure the whole point of the north quays is to make Waterford a destination. If you think Waterford cannot be a destination the I refer you to the last few posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭imacman

Unfortunately, this is very true. Came across examples myself over the years of Waterford people ridiculously putting Waterford down when the reality actually is Waterford faired better.

Retail is a case in point. People see a few empty units or Debenhams closing and they say there is nothing in the city centre it is dead. I mean it is bull s***e. The reality is in spite of the challenges retailers face today Waterford city centre is holding up well compared to other places. When a good unit becomes available it gets taken up quickly. Even in the UK there are places the size of Waterford with virtually empty high streets.
    Its a fair point , I was in Coalville in Leicester for work a number of years ago for work and its a town around 40,000 people, post industrial as it was a big coalmining area . All on the outskirts of the town there was a couple of shopping centres with tescos , dixons , mcdonalds , Asda etc and the center of the town was empty. I walked through an a summers evening an there was whole streets full on empty units and just a few restaurants and small shops open. I was a really stark example of how large out of town development had visibly killed what was once a vibrant town center.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Dexpat

Yeah I know easy to concentrate on the negatives, but Waterford still has a lot going for it and has an attrative city centre and some sort of a foundation to build on after all of this. We managed to avoid the large out of town centres which decimated other towns and cities in the UK, US and elsewhere. We especially dodged a bullet with the Ferrybank centre (Not looking to open up that can of worms again!!).

I think Limerick suffered more in that regard. I know that they've realised their mistakes and the Opera Centre in the city centre has recently received full planning. How far it proceeds now is another matter, but I'm sure it will eventually.

There's obviously a need for convenience, and parking in out of town centres is easy and will suit a lot of people, but a vibrant city centre is essential for giving an area a sense of pride. It just makes a city more attractive for inward investment as well as being easier to attract the people that comes with that.

We have to build on and support the existing city centre, but as I said before the NQ is still the city centre and has the critical mass to make a big difference in the medium/long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭gobo99

Dexpat wrote: »
    . We managed to avoid the large out of town centres which decimated other towns and cities in the UK, US and elsewhere. We especially dodged a bullet with the Ferrybank centre (Not looking to open up that can of worms again!!).

I think having 4 Tesco has had the same effect. Another in tramore mean theres 5 within 10 miles of each other. They kill competition and then cut back their range.
    Sell cheap meat fish poultry at meat counters > independent butchers close > tesco close meat counters and sell cheap poor quality prepack meat fish.
    Cheap DVDs CDs games at tesco > byebye Bpm > tesco cuts back range.
    This can be seen across a range of products and it's not just tesco but they have been the worst offenders. There have been some exceptions like the butchers in lisduggan who outlasted Tesco's meat counters, The book center etc, but they have closed hundreds of small shops around Waterford and now employ a handful of staff on increasingly terrible conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Dexpat

gobo99 wrote: »
    I think having 4 Tesco has had the same effect. Another in tramore mean theres 5 within 10 miles of each other. They kill competition and then cut back their range.
    Sell cheap meat fish poultry at meat counters > independent butchers close > tesco close meat counters and sell cheap poor quality prepack meat fish.
    Cheap DVDs CDs games at tesco > byebye Bpm > tesco cuts back range.
    This can be seen across a range of products and it's not just tesco but they have been the worst offenders. There have been some exceptions like the butchers in lisduggan who outlasted Tesco's meat counters, The book center etc, but they have closed hundreds of small shops around Waterford and now employ a handful of staff on increasingly terrible conditions.

I can't argure with most of that. Most big retailers do it to some degree and Tesco are notorious for it. Walmart in the US have torn the heart out of many towns as well. I just think in Waterford we've avoided the worst of it.

I know the City Council come in for a lot of criticism but at least they did try to reduce the affect of out of town shopping, although you coud argue that they did't do enough for the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,397 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

gobo99 wrote:
    I think having 4 Tesco has had the same effect. Another in tramore mean theres 5 within 10 miles of each other. They kill competition and then cut back their range. Sell cheap meat fish poultry at meat counters > independent butchers close > tesco close meat counters and sell cheap poor quality prepack meat fish. Cheap DVDs CDs games at tesco > byebye Bpm > tesco cuts back range. This can be seen across a range of products and it's not just tesco but they have been the worst offenders. There have been some exceptions like the butchers in lisduggan who outlasted Tesco's meat counters, The book center etc, but they have closed hundreds of small shops around Waterford and now employ a handful of staff on increasingly terrible conditions.

One of the main aims of monopolisation is to do just that, cause other businesses to go out of business, we ve largely accepted this, regularly labeling it as 'capatalism' or such things, but it's not really, it's just monopolisation

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Muttley79

I often wonder why people in Waterford city call it ‘town’ when it’s a city Yet people living in Kilkenny town call kilkenny a ‘city’ even though really it’s a town!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Don't you go into town?

Have you never been to the 'top of the town' - (Ballybricken, Yellow Road etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Muttley79 wrote: »
    I often wonder why people in Waterford city call it ‘town’ when it’s a city Yet people living in Kilkenny town call kilkenny a ‘city’ even though really it’s a town!!

Everyone says town. As in "going into town". Waterford. Kilkenny. New York. Tokyo. I've heard them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Bards

JohnC. wrote: »
    Everyone says town. As in "going into town". Waterford. Kilkenny. New York. Tokyo. I've heard them all.

Londontown.com being just one example of a large metropolitan City referring to itself as a town

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭jelutong

It was only a matter of time before someone dragged Kilkenny into the conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Muttley79

jelutong wrote: »
    It was only a matter of time before someone dragged Kilkenny into the conversation.

<SNIP>
    regards

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Leave out the personal insults please

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Anyone know if the planning application was granted yet?

They say city in Kilkenny but they don’t even believe it is a city from my experience.

Don’t think anybody has a problem with the spoken term town or “going into town” etc. I do not anyway. What bugged people was calling Waterford a town in a paper of record. Plus to make it worse in an article written by a local journalist. Who I happen to know lives in the city. That does matter. It is the same as a TD being called a councillor or not using the title doctor for someone with a PhD. You would expect the correct title to be used in articles from a “quality” paper in these cases, the same applies to Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Just listened to RTE News and when reporting on two Covid-19 related deaths of workers in St Lukes hospital, Kilkenny, they referred to 'the City'.

So it would appear actual status is of little importance to RTE!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Don’t think anybody has a problem with the spoken term town or “going into town” etc. I do not anyway. What bugged people was calling Waterford a town in a paper of record. Plus to make it worse in an article written by a local journalist. Who I happen to know lives in the city. That does matter. It is the same as a TD being called a councillor or not using the title doctor for someone with a PhD. You would expect the correct title to be used in articles from a “quality” paper in these cases, the same applies to Waterford.

The journo is at the mercy of the teenage interns who largely make up the sub-editing staff who write the heads, sub heads and photo captions in many supposedly prestigious news bodies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

It always amazes me how upset some of you people get over the word.

In law, it is allowed to use city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

It always amazes me how upset some of you people get over the word.

In law, it is allowed to use city.

Don't think anyone is upset.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Bhoy1967

Good God, this thread has turned into a pile of ****e!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

We'll be all pushing up daisies and this thread will still be going by our childer and dur childer!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement