Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€300M Investment into Waterford City

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,363 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

How come they never done up the old o Neil's/kings bar in Lombard Street ??

The old Alfie Hales is another place which is left to ruin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

[code]

[/code]
    PTH2009 wrote: »

Who wants to set up in Waterford?? The rates those lads have to pay are criminal

reckon a few developments are after hitting a crossroads

Walsh Park and Weatherspoons in particular. Must be a curse on them

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭imacman

You could also mention the Showboat, Harveys /Shefflins, Quayside tavern and T&H Doolins as well. I remember as a student living on Manor street in the mid 90s Sheffins was a great pub, we were always in there and I spent many an afternoon playing snooker in the Showboat .We used to go to T&H's a good bit too and of course the Roxy which has been replaced by an ugly apartment building .

imacman wrote: »
    You could also mention the Showboat, Harveys /Shefflins, Quayside tavern and T&H Doolins as well. I remember as a student living on Manor street in the mid 90s Sheffins was a great pub, we were always in there and I spent many an afternoon playing snooker in the Showboat .We used to go to T&H's a good bit too and of course the Roxy which has been replaced by an ugly apartment building .

Yeah they are eyesores but would you see any of that in other cities

As much as I hate to say it Kilkenny City is a goldmine with all there pubs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Yeah they are eyesores but would you see any of that in other cities

As much as I hate to say it Kilkenny City is a goldmine with all there pubs.

Of course you would.

Kilkenny is a nice spot for sure but lets not kid ourselves into thinking is it all too much better than Waterford. Anyway this thread is about the NQ's not Waterford v Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭imacman

Im out in Kilkenny a lot and the pub and restaurant scene is streets ahead of Waterford and there are no derelict pubs I can think of in the city center .But Kilkenny gets a lot more tourists and weekend visitors than Waterford and so the market is there.

imacman wrote: »
    Im out in Kilkenny a lot and the pub and restaurant scene is streets ahead of Waterford and there are no derelict pubs I can think of in the city center .But Kilkenny gets a lot more tourists and weekend visitors than Waterford and so the market is there.

I lived there for 4 years. The thing that struck me about the place is how small it really is which makes there only 1 area for people to really congregate and that area is the parade which happens to be where most of the pubs are. If the castle wasnt there Kilkenny would be nowhere near as busy as it is. Waterford has alot more to offer but for some reason it isnt as out there as much as places like Kilkenny. Dont get me wrong i liked living up there and id happily live there again but i wanted to come back to Waterford as i missed being here. There is loads to do in Waterford especially if you are into outdoor activities and sometimes i think Waterford gets overlooked in that regard.

If the NQ's do go ahead and they are a success then perhaps all those weekenders will visit here instead of Kilkenny. I guess that depends on what retailers setup there and only time will tell.

alta stare wrote: »
    I lived there for 4 years. The thing that struck me about the place is how small it really is which makes there only 1 area for people to really congregate and that area is the parade which happens to be where most of the pubs are. If the castle wasnt there Kilkenny would be nowhere near as busy as it is. Waterford has alot more to offer but for some reason it isnt as out there as much as places like Kilkenny. Dont get me wrong i liked living up there and id happily live there again but i wanted to come back to Waterford as i missed being here. There is loads to do in Waterford especially if you are into outdoor activities and sometimes i think Waterford gets overlooked in that regard.

If the NQ's do go ahead and they are a success then perhaps all those weekenders will visit here instead of Kilkenny. I guess that depends on what retailers setup there and only time will tell.

Small thing but Nowlan Park getting concerts helps. Obv not every year but they tend to do very in the hospitality sector

Meanwhile in Waterford we do/did have some events like ATN/Daytripper but the new Walsh Park is banned from hosting concerts of any note

Small thing but Nowlan Park getting concerts helps. Obv not every year but they tend to do very in the hospitality sector

Meanwhile in Waterford we do/did have some events like ATN/Daytripper but the new Walsh Park is banned from hosting concerts of any note

I get where you are coming from but to be fair Walsh Park not being allowed host concerts has nothing to do with how well Waterford is doing. There are plenty of other places where an outdoor concert could take up place.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I lived there for 4 years. The thing that struck me about the place is how small it really is which makes there only 1 area for people to really congregate and that area is the parade which happens to be where most of the pubs are.

errr, yet most of the crowds/pubs are down Rose Inn Street and John Street, the parrade doesn't have most of the pubs in Kilkenny......John St does.

Not sure how you've come to the conclusion that most of the pubs are on the parrade. It certainly isn't the case. On the Parrade itself there's only about 3-4 pubs.

Overall the nightlife is split over a large enough area in Kilkenny, you have John Street, Rose Inn Street, The Parrade, Lower High Street/Irish town area and even around Friary Street.

One thing about Kilkenny when compared to Waterford is in Kilkenny I've rarely heard people complaining about going from a pub in High Street down to John street, where as I've heard people moan about walking even 400metres in Waterford from one pub to another.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

So back to the North Quay, I'd strongly suspect this will very shortly be dead in the water again given the impending worldwide economic recession thats about to hit us.

Cabaal wrote: »
    errr, yet most of the crowds/pubs are down Rose Inn Street and John Street, the parrade doesn't have most of the pubs in Kilkenny......John St does.

Not sure how you've come to the conclusion that most of the pubs are on the parrade. It certainly isn't the case. On the Parrade itself there's only about 3-4 pubs.

Overall the nightlife is split over a large enough area in Kilkenny, you have John Street, Rose Inn Street, The Parrade, Lower High Street/Irish town area and even around Friary Street.

One thing about Kilkenny when compared to Waterford is in Kilkenny I've rarely heard people complaining about going from a pub in High Street down to John street, where as I've heard people moan about walking even 400metres in Waterford from one pub to another.

Kilkenny is centred around the parade as where most of the pubs are located...i never said they were on the parade did I? Kilkenny as a town is so small everything is centric to the main feature...the castle ie the parade.... Walk from most pubs in the town toward the parade and they will all be very close in terms of time taken.... so yes all mostly around the parade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Or it could be seen as a 'near' shovel ready project to boost the economy. Depends on how you view the future

Personally id much prefer kk to waterford,and even dungarvan to waterford for a night out

Theres a v.rough element/vibe to nightlife in waterford,that simply isnt there to same extent in kk,and kinda better craic,kinda clannish element to waterford aswell......quite how that is fixed,i havnt an iota...

but in all honesty,i couldnt recommend someone go to waterford for a night out(greenway/scenery/museum etc are good tbf)

Kilkenny is centred around the parade as where most of the pubs are located...i never said they were on the parade did I? Kilkenny as a town is so small everything is centric to the main feature...the castle ie the parade.... Walk from most pubs in the town toward the parade and they will all be very close in terms of time taken.... so yes all mostly around the parade.

So basically you count everything within 1-1.5km as "around the parade"
    :rolleyes:

You said
    there only 1 area for people to really congregate and that area is the parade which happens to be where most of the pubs are.

This is factually incorrect, it is not where most of the pubs are.

Or it could be seen as a 'near' shovel ready project to boost the economy. Depends on how you view the future

It can be near to shovel as you want, if the investers see it as risky given the current climate they can choose to postpone it. It certainly wouldn't be the only development to see this happen.

So basically you count everything within 1-1.5km as "around the parade"

You said

This is factually incorrect, it is not where most of the pubs are.

Yes everything around the area of the parade which is most of the town. Kilkenny is small. You'd walk the length of the town in 10mins.

You are implying i am referring to every pub in the town and you know i am not, you just want to do your usual thing by twisting words.

Yes everything around the area of the parade which is most of the town. Kilkenny is small. You'd walk the length of the town in 10mins.

You are implying i am referring to every pub in the town and you know i am not, you just want to do your usual thing by twisting words.

I quoted you, now you are trying to change the meaning of your quote.
    I'm not wasting time with such nonsense.

I quoted you, now you are trying to change the meaning of your quote.
    I'm not wasting time with such nonsense.

No im not. It is you who is spouting nonsense. You then run from your comments with posts like above. Pretty typical from you to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

So back to the North Quay, I'd strongly suspect this will very shortly be dead in the water again given the impending worldwide economic recession thats about to hit us.

Back on topic alright. This post sums up this thread, predicting ways the North Quays won’t happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭azimuth17

BBM77 wrote: »
    Back on topic alright. This post sums up this thread, predicting ways the North Quays won’t happen.

Exactly. NQ will happen if it does. Thread(s) is now a regular regurgitation of faults. Constant repetition of what is wrong with the place, plus kicks from commentators not living in or from Waterford of whom there seem to be more than a few posting here providing the background noise and reasons why things in Waterford simply won't work, can't work, will never work.

Waterford is where it is and has been trying hard to lift for the past politically difficult decade. It looks better than it has for decades. Of course it has issues, many of them shared by other urban areas. It still is the place that fought for medical and educational services in this region when all about us were sitting on their oars and often working to ensure failure. Do we really need the constant litany of pubs that are closed or shops that might never open again?

Who benefits from this narrative? Its certainly not the place I live in.

To be fair even those that really, really want this devlopment to happen have to live in the real world and realise that a worldwide recession likely much worse then 2008 is very likely to postpone it happening.

if you don't consider this is a very likely reality then you are ignoring whats going on right now. It's simply being realistic.

If this was any other devlopment any where else in the country I'd say the exact same, if it isn't turn key ready at this moment in time its extremely likely to be delayed or postponed in some manner (this goes for any dev). In fact by comparison Kilkenny has big plans for the Brewery site where Smithwicks used to be and this will likely massively effect it in the short term at the very least.

If proper construction has not even started (North Quays/Brewery Site) then its much more likely to be postponed and the longer that happens the more likely it is to be scrapped as the plannaing permission lapses and requirments, buillding regs and want an area wants/needs changes.

azimuth17 wrote: »
    Exactly. NQ will happen if it does. Thread(s) is now a regular regurgitation of faults. Constant repetition of what is wrong with the place, plus kicks from commentators not living in or from Waterford of whom there seem to be more than a few posting here providing the background noise and reasons why things in Waterford simply won't work, can't work, will never work.

Waterford is where it is and has been trying hard to lift for the past politically difficult decade. It looks better than it has for decades. Of course it has issues, many of them shared by other urban areas. It still is the place that fought for medical and educational services in this region when all about us were sitting on their oars and often working to ensure failure. Do we really need the constant litany of pubs that are closed or shops that might never open again?

Who benefits from this narrative? Its certainly not the place I live in.

Agreed. It’s certainly not the place I live in either. To me Waterford is a resilient, diverse and dynamic small European city. The number of start-ups in centres like Arclabs is proof of this. I mean the political crap Waterford has had to face has been appalling. I’d actually go as far as calling it vindictive and nasty. Literal letting people die on the side for the road in ambulances. And it still has come out as you say looking better than it has for decades. If that is not a sign of resilient I don’t know what is.

To be fair even those that really, really want this devlopment to happen have to live in the real world and realise that a worldwide recession likely much worse then 2008 is very likely to postpone it happening.

if you don't consider this is a very likely reality then you are ignoring whats going on right now. It's simply being realistic.

If this was any other devlopment any where else in the country I'd say the exact same, if it isn't turn key ready at this moment in time its extremely likely to be delayed or postponed in some manner (this goes for any dev). In fact by comparison Kilkenny has big plans for the Brewery site where Smithwicks used to be and this will likely massively effect it in the short term at the very least.

If proper construction has not even started (North Quays/Brewery Site) then its much more likely to be postponed and the longer that happens the more likely it is to be scrapped as the plannaing permission lapses and requirments, buillding regs and want an area wants/needs changes.

I think you know I meant from the start this thread has been turned into predicting ways the North Quays won’t happen not just since the pandemic.
    I don’t know what is going to happen. But did it occur to you that it may be more likely to happen. The government will want to stimulate the economy over the coming years. There may well be more incentives for developments like this. Specially with FF in power and their construction industry lobby backers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Deiseen

I think you know I meant from the start this thread has been turned into predicting ways the North Quays won’t happen not just since the pandemic.
    I don’t know what is going to happen. But did it occur to you that it may be more likely to happen. The government will want to stimulate the economy over the coming years. There may well be more incentives for developments like this. Specially with FF in power and their construction industry lobby backers.

The minister of finance has literally come out and backed any projects that fall under 2040. That means the North Quays.

Obviously an investor still needs to put the cash forward for the development itself but the infrastructure is very much on track.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Bards

This is a 3 to 5 year build... Over 50 % is already committed.. Retail is a tiny element of the overall project.

There will always be ups and downs in the economic cycle... Luckily this time it it is not caused by economic conditions but a medical Pandemic... In my opinion it will be built

Bards wrote: »
    This is a 3 to 5 year build... Over 50 % is already committed.. Retail is a tiny element of the overall project.

There will always be ups and downs in the economic cycle... Luckily this time it it is not caused by economic conditions but a medical Pandemic... In my opinion it will be built

I'll be honest, I'm not saying it will never be build.

But it will very likely be delayed.

Also it will be due to economic conditions, which have been caused by a worldwide lockdown. So economics very much comes into it ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Michael Walsh is on WLR talking about this among other matters. Also makes the point the new bridge and other works recently green lit are NOT linked specifically to the NQP. It's associated, not dependant upon.

• Advertisement

Michael Walsh is on WLR talking about this among other matters. Also makes the point the new bridge and other works recently green lit are NOT linked specifically to the NQP. It's associated, not dependant upon.

Yeah was listening to that alright and i got the impression they are going ahead regardless.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement