Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€300M Investment into Waterford City

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Why we need the jobs this would bring, sorry it's a bit small

?width=385&version=3445660

Nine unemployment black spots - 8 of them over 30%, second highest in the state.

With respect, I don't think the jobs created by the proposed development will have any impact on those areas. Long term voluntary unemployment is rampant in certain areas in most cities as per that report.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Not directly no, but the shop girls work in the shops when they are open. The tyre fitters fit tyres when people are buying cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Gavlor wrote: »
    With respect, I don't think the jobs created by the proposed development will have any impact on those areas. Long term voluntary unemployment is rampant in certain areas in most cities as per that report.

A thousand or so jobs always will be good, construction, retail, hotel, offices, etc etc...jobs there for nearly anyone interested.in a city with unemployment rate of 18.8% (today's Irish times), these jobs would have substantial impact.

Add, possibly misleading there....April 2016 census figures, national rate was 12.9 then.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭Gavlor

There's no doubt the jobs created will be fantastic for the south east but I'm not convinced that it will have any significant effect on the areas referenced in the report above.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

Gavlor wrote: »

Agreed, not sure what this even proves exactly.

Did anybody see RTE’s coverage about this in Waterford on the SixOne News yesterday? Just wondering if anybody else was annoyed by it? I thought it was patronising.

• Advertisement

BBM77 wrote: »

Did anybody see RTE’s coverage about this in Waterford on the SixOne News yesterday? Just wondering if anybody else was annoyed by it? I thought it was patronising.

Can you expand bbm,
    Ta

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

Max Powers wrote: »
    Can you expand bbm,
    Ta

This @ 16:30 mins

https://www.rte.ie/news/player/six-one-news/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I thought it completely unnecessary to show that fight scene in the Glass segment. It added nothing at all to the report.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Deiseen

Can you expand bbm,
    Ta

This @ 16:30 mins

https://www.rte.ie/news/player/six-one-news/
    Not too bad in fairness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭dadad231

Is part of this deal a mosque(s) ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭914

dadad231 wrote: »
    Is part of this deal a mosque(s) ?

Why would it be?

914 wrote: »
    Why would it be?

Because its Saudi investment.

So with the American investment into city Square will that consist of a Christian Church or jehovah witness praying area?

Keep your frankly silly dog whistle racist comments to yourself dadad.

Why would it be?

Ludicrous thought process.

BUT if it did, so what? There's one in Waterford already, if they wanted another or an improved one then so what? Let them have it.

Keep your frankly silly dog whistle racist comments to yourself dadad.

Racist ?
    What ?
    Saudi Arabia has been known to build mosques in lots of foreign cities!

Deiseen wrote: »

BUT if it did, so what? There's one in Waterford already, if they wanted another or an improved one then so what? Let them have it.

Id be worried about Wahhibism , Saudi funded mosques are known to be hotbeds of radicalism.

So with the American investment into city Square will that consist of a Christian Church or jehovah witness praying area?
    I wouldn't be too in favour of any christian churches being built either but I think America is not a theocracy - so silly comparison in fairness.

I wouldn't be too in favour of any christian churches being built either but I think America is not a theocracy - so silly comparison in fairness.

I just don't see why you associate a business investment with building religious centre's. It is possible to build a religious centre without investing 300million

Id be worried about Wahhibism , Saudi funded mosques are known to be hotbeds of radicalism.
    I understand that concern, considering the Saudi connection but just because a private company wants to invest money here, doesn't mean that they will build a Mosque (or that it will house extremists). The company needs to function as a business and I doubt it has money to throw around building Mosques for the craic!
    Likewise if the Saudis wanted to build Mosques then what's to stop them building one anywhere in Ireland? Nothing.

• Advertisement

Good , hope its just that a property investment, now there was no need for @Max Powers to call me a racist though!!

Good , hope its just that a property investment, now there was no need for @Max Powers to call me a racist though!!

Dog whistle racism dadad, don't post it and you won't be accused of it.

What the hell is Dog Whiste racism ?

And how can I be racist against Islam ?

What the hell is Dog Whiste racism ?

And how can I be racist against Islam ?
    Your one and only contribution to this thread was a post saying you hoped there wouldn't be a mosque built as part of this development. Kind of gives the wrong impression.....

Your one and only contribution to this thread was a post saying you hoped there wouldn't be a mosque built as part of this development. Kind of gives the wrong impression.....

Its not racism though !
    And I didnt - I asked was a mosque part of the plan.

Only reason I commented on the thread was I saw it on the homepage, or trending.

Its not racism though !
    And I didnt - I asked was a mosque part of the plan.

Only reason I commented on the thread was I saw it on the homepage, or trending.
    But why even ask that?

But why even ask that?

OK lets end it here , this will be my last post.
    It wasn't racist , it wasn't anti Muslim.
    My ears pricked up as soon as I seen it was a Saudi investment, as whatever way you look
    at it they are known to heavily invest in Mosques around the world - and I thought it was reasonable to wonder did a few mosques feature in this deal.

That's it , seems I am wrong, it is a pure infrastructure deal !

Great ! fantastic for jobs , they are a great bunch of lads.

But why even ask that?

OK lets end it here , this will be my last post.
    It wasn't racist , it wasn't anti Muslim.
    My ears pricked up as soon as I seen it was a Saudi investment, as whatever way you look
    at it they are known to heavily invest in Mosques around the world - and I thought it was reasonable to wonder did a few mosques feature in this deal.

That's it , seems I am wrong, it is a pure infrastructure deal !

Great ! fantastic for jobs , they are a great bunch of lads.
    I have the same concerns about Saudi Arabia myself but I see the separation between this investment and the Saudi regime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

Time of the month for Max!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭fuzzy dunlop

No they're not, this is a gross and ill informed misconception that has gained traction on social media by BNP and EDL types. Playing football and membership of a football club is a bigger factor and medium for so called radicals to interact. There won't be any moral painic about this anytime soon I suspect.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement