Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€300M Investment into Waterford City

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭spaceCreated

Dexpat wrote: »
    Well the developers seem ready to commit to the project despite everything. 'Crane by Christmas' mentioned by Rob Cass certainly fits the criteria of a crane ready project for stimulus funding so its up to the government to put up or shut up.

I think we all know they'll never put up and never shut up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Kilkenny Coco with pass marks for 4 North Quay related developments

https://waterford-news.ie/2020/07/06/ferrybank-urdf-projects-graded-favourably-in-pwc-study/

Nice "what might be" image

URDFPic-1536x1091.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

Looks impressive. Doesn't the South Quays look so much better without cars parked there. A large park going the length of the quay, with playgrounds, ice rink, plenty of green areas for picnics on summer days, extension of the Greenway would really add to our city and help attract more people to the city centre. Would love to see the council CPO them car parks.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Muttley79

Kilkenny Coco with pass marks for 4 North Quay related developments

https://waterford-news.ie/2020/07/06/ferrybank-urdf-projects-graded-favourably-in-pwc-study/

Nice "what might be" image

URDFPic-1536x1091.jpg

Hopefully Kilkenny council can see the economic benefits it would have for the whole south east region when Waterford/Kilkenny/Wexford pull together on projects.its time it stopped this hurling attitude of county Vs county and it's time it's started looking at a region as a whole as is so much to offer a population of 500k

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

Looks impressive. Doesn't the South Quays look so much better without cars parked there. A large park going the length of the quay, with playgrounds, ice rink, plenty of green areas for picnics on summer days, extension of the Greenway would really add to our city and help attract more people to the city centre. Would love to see the council CPO them car parks.

Council are part of the problem, they own some of them. But agree surly when the councils work is done with the north quay the next priority is to get ride of car parks on the quay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

It's the Port of Waterford who own most of them, not the council. Isn't the non-Port one owned by some of the businesses, grouped together under some name I can't think of?

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭aziz

I thought it's a mad situation that the port of Waterford owns the car parks and the council owns the marina's

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭south

JohnC. wrote: »
    It's the Port of Waterford who own most of them, not the council. Isn't the non-Port one owned by some of the businesses, grouped together under some name I can't think of?

Correct, well businessmen.

The council own the one under the crane.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

BBM77 wrote: »

Well if they do it’s operated privately then

• Advertisement

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Well if they do it’s operated privately then

Maybe they sold it on again. But definitely remember them buying it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭curmudgeonly

Keeverflow

Not actually owned but leased on a 35 year lease if memory serves, not too long to the end of that lease now.

Dexpat wrote: »
    Well the developers seem ready to commit to the project despite everything. 'Crane by Christmas' mentioned by Rob Cass certainly fits the criteria of a crane ready project for stimulus funding so its up to the government to put up or shut up.

Whose crane is the question, personally don't believe it will have anything to do with the existing promoters, the next couple of weeks could see rabbits and hats out of left field.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

Keeverflow

Mulligans Chemists,
    Granville Hotel,
    Fitzgeralds Menswear,
    Kneisels Jewellers,

AFAIK

• Registered Users Posts: 29,397 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Whose crane is the question, personally don't believe it will have anything to do with the existing promoters, the next couple of weeks could see rabbits and hats from left field.

who are left field?

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    who are left field?

My typo out of left field

Mulligans Chemists,
    Granville Hotel,
    Fitzgeralds Menswear,
    Kneisels Jewellers,

AFAIK

And Kathleen Fitzgerald

My typo out of left field

sorry im not fully understanding what you mean?

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    sorry im not fully understanding what you mean?

Its an Americanism from baseball, meaning unexpected and unforeseen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Dexpat

Its an Americanism from baseball, meaning unexpected and unforeseen.

I'm intrigued. Sounds like you might have more information than the rest of us.
    Idle speculation on my part but I wonder given the unprecedented situation we're in, whether the state would take a stake in the development?

Even if not it wouldn't be a surprise if the developers sell the site on or share the development once it has full planning. They can recoup a lot of what was invested and share the future risk. Hopefully if so it won't lead to further delays whatever happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

BBM77 wrote: »

No, that’s also the Port.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

down to the government now, on so many levels, this makes great sense for everyone, including the government

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Bhoy1967

Brilliant news - lets hope the government get behind this and come up with the necessary funding to make this happen!

Bhoy1967 wrote: »
    Brilliant news - lets hope the government get behind this and come up with the necessary funding to make this happen!

The government have actually dug themselves into a hole, if you pardon the pun. They said they are looking for shovel ready projects to stimulate the economy, if they do not get behind the north quays they will have shown that what they say is meaningless after only weeks in power.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

The comments on facebook about this project are attrocious. Some people saying "Not another empty shopping centre" even though there is going to be many offices too

The statement from the Dept of Housing etc was very mealy mouthed and straight faced. No actual welcome for 400m of private money!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Dexpat

To misquote Churchill "now this is not the end of the North Quays saga. It is not even the beginning of the end. It is perhaps the end of the beginning"

Really puts it up to the government and their commitment to regional development

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement