Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€300M Investment into Waterford City

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭spaceCreated

Ah balls. A "used" donkey. I knew there would be a catch. If ya take the donkey , can it be used as trade in against a new camel?

You've to go to the tax office for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭gw80

I see galway are in for a similar huge development .
    Watch it fly up ,building will probably start before Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,397 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

gw80 wrote: »
    I see galway are in for a similar huge development .
    Watch it fly up ,building will probably start before Christmas.

it is important to cross the t's and dot the i's in these type of situations, we have a tendency to get a little too excited when big money becomes involved, and easily overlook potential downfalls, or the negative aspects

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭gw80

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    it is important to cross the t's and dot the i's in these type of situations, we have a tendency to get a little too excited when big money becomes involved, and easily overlook potential downfalls, or the negative aspects

Didn't we have that galway lad who would object to everything and anything for that.

Like all the potential downfalls of the green way when it was first suggested? All the lads on dirtbikes and fellas driving sideways down the green way.

gw80 wrote: »
    Didn't we have that galway lad who would object to everything and anything for that.

Like all the potential downfalls of the green way when it was first suggested? All the lads on dirtbikes and fellas driving sideways down the green way.

unfortunately, we will probably always have people that object to things, continuously, sadly some are just simply wired that way.

unfortunately and sadly, full compliance to environmental rules and laws, werent actually adhered to while creating the greenway, and i do think there was/is better ways to approach such a development, but it is something to be proud of, really glad i walked it in its entirety pre greenway, some of the views are just stunning, we have such an amazing countryside, and now more can enjoy it via the greenway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

unfortunately, we will probably always have people that object to things, continuously, sadly some are just simply wired that way.

unfortunately and sadly, full compliance to environmental rules and laws, werent actually adhered to while creating the greenway, and i do think there was/is better ways to approach such a development, but it is something to be proud of, really glad i walked it in its entirety pre greenway, some of the views are just stunning, we have such an amazing countryside, and now more can enjoy it via the greenway

Could you elaborate a bit on your claim at start of second paragraph....and why do you say ‘sadly’.....where/what are you saying was done incorrectly/could have been done better....?

You did well to walk the entire route prior to construction particularly the bits around kilmeaden and durrow

Asdfgh2020 wrote:
    Could you elaborate a bit on your claim at start of second paragraph....and why do you say ‘sadly’.....where/what are you saying was done incorrectly/could have been done better....?

Apologies, but I'm not willing to discuss it in public, but I've been made aware of some issues, and it does indeed look like some environmental rules and regulations were indeed breached during construction, possibly unintentionally, but it's very divisive. I have been shown some nasty emails in relation to this, which has made me extremely suspicious, I'd say it's common enough to be honest, the planet is in trouble afterall, environmentally, for a reason. I think the use of the term 'sadly', is self explanatory now, but feel free to ask further, but I won't give details.

I personally feel some different materials could have been used, and alternative techiques to construct the greenway, that maybe a little more natural looking, such amenities are a fantastic addition to our landscape, but we regularly tend towards more accepted materials and techiques, for various reasons, and not just for financial reasons, but it can a critical factor. We cannot keep continuing like this, our planet will eventually collapse, environmentally, alternative materials and techiques are known, they sometimes may just cost more, to implement.
    Asdfgh2020 wrote:
    You did well to walk the entire route prior to construction particularly the bits around kilmeaden and durrow

Yea, I tried a few years ago with a machete, and there wasn't a hope, gave up at kilmeadan, but was successful, just as they cleared it at the beginning of construction, it was nice to experience in a more wilder form. Had to 'fracture' the odd rule and law here and there, to do it, was worth it though, tis fantastic to see it up and running though, and great addition to the county. Tried to do new ross line few years ago, same problems, was unable to due to over growth, lovely walk back to waterford though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

So are environmentalism and construction methodologies/materials your latest areas of expertise?

Also quite ironic that you "fractured the odd rule and law" yet complain that environmental rules and regs were breached during construction :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Gardner

Apologies, but I'm not willing to discuss it in public, but I've been made aware of some issues, and it does indeed look like some environmental rules and regulations were indeed breached during construction, possibly unintentionally, but it's very divisive. I have been shown some nasty emails in relation to this, which has made me extremely suspicious, I'd say it's common enough to be honest, the planet is in trouble afterall, environmentally, for a reason. I think the use of the term 'sadly', is self explanatory now, but feel free to ask further, but I won't give details.

I personally feel some different materials could have been used, and alternative techiques to construct the greenway, that maybe a little more natural looking, such amenities are a fantastic addition to our landscape, but we regularly tend towards more accepted materials and techiques, for various reasons, and not just for financial reasons, but it can a critical factor. We cannot keep continuing like this, our planet will eventually collapse, environmentally, alternative materials and techiques are known, they sometimes may just cost more, to implement.

Yea, I tried a few years ago with a machete, and there wasn't a hope, gave up at kilmeadan, but was successful, just as they cleared it at the beginning of construction, it was nice to experience in a more wilder form. Had to 'fracture' the odd rule and law here and there, to do it, was worth it though, tis fantastic to see it up and running though, and great addition to the county. Tried to do new ross line few years ago, same problems, was unable to due to over growth, lovely walk back to waterford though

ridiculous waffling,go see your GP. Oh is GP the Green Party :D

tonc76 wrote: »
    So are environmentalism and construction methodologies/materials your latest areas of expertise?

Also quite ironic that you "fractured the odd rule and law" yet complain that environmental rules and regs were breached during construction :rolleyes:

god no, there are no experts in anything in my world, just people that know a lot about some things, the term 'expert' has been bastardized in the modern age, its effectively a marketing term now, used by people to try sell their knowledge

not all rules and laws are there to benefit all in society, and to bring fairness to society, most humans break laws, regularly, unintentionally, i just admit to mine, particularly the intentional ones, dont worry, no kids were harmed!
    Gardner wrote: »
    ridiculous waffling,go see your GP. Oh is GP the Green Party :D

always interesting to engage in a mature way, particularly in relation to something extremely serious, speaking of which, i suspect the majority of citizens are actually concerned about the environment, but a large proportion simply hate the greens, something wrong there, the greens have a serious pr problem, and i think its getting worse!

• Advertisement

Doubt you can get in any trouble by describing in a bit more detail what you are referring to.....you don’t have to mention any names or locations...??

Asdfgh2020 wrote:
    Doubt you can get in any trouble by describing in a bit more detail what you are referring to.....you don’t have to mention any names or locations...??

Apologies, I'm not willing to, but when you see emails from some of the main drivers of the project become irradiate, it's a warning, somethings not right! I appricate, the enormous amount of effort which was done by many individuals, to get this great project over the line, but.....

Apologies, I'm not willing to, but when you see emails from some of the main drivers of the project become irradiate, it's a warning, somethings not right! I appricate, the enormous amount of effort which was done by many individuals, to get this great project over the line, but.....

‘Emails becoming irradiate’......what on earth do you mean......?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Bards

Meanwhile, back on topic.... It's September... Will we have news on govt funding for the North Quays this month?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 DubToDeise

I have a feeling it's what John Cummins is waiting for!

DubToDeise wrote:
    I have a feeling it's what John Cummins is waiting for!

Makes sense, must be preparing to out zoom his rivals

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Bards wrote: »
    Meanwhile, back on topic.... It's September... Will we have news on govt funding for the North Quays this month?

In September 2030 the North Quays will still be derelict.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭E38E3E38E3EE33

vriesmays wrote: »

You really need help with that stutter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Asdfgh2020 wrote: »
    ‘Emails becoming irradiate’......what on earth do you mean......?

Take everything Wanderer78 says with a lorry full of salt!,biggest spoofer on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭curmudgeonly

The North Quays, as I see the state of play at the moment is the following.

WCC seem to be moving ahead with enabling works and are reasonably confident that the money from Government will flow to finish said works.

Al Hokair are just waiting to get their planning fees back plus margin before they do a runner.

WCC need probably three developers to take a section of the site each to commence works of some type, bearing in mind they can literally build what they want up to 14 stories without fear of any objections.

Times are awful economically for both the Hotel and office business but not forever and if someone has the cojones no better time to start.

The next steps are all about confidence in the national economy and Waterford Inc.

Personally would love to see a bold move by the Government and relocate the WIT in its entirety to the site thereby adding 10k people to the city centre immediately and the critical mass that would bring.

My truppence h'alpenny worth.

• Advertisement

Take everything Wanderer78 says with a lorry full of salt!,biggest spoofer on here.

Haha excellent stuff, I'm not much of a fan of salt tbh

Al Hokair are just waiting to get their planning fees back plus margin before they do a runner.

Possibly, who knows, but hopefully this thing gets off the ground, we probably need it more now than ever

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭imacman

The North Quays, as I see the state of play at the moment is the following.

WCC seem to be moving ahead with enabling works and are reasonably confident that the money from Government will flow to finish said works.

WCC need probably three developers to take a section of the site each to commence works of some type, bearing in mind they can literally build what they want up to 14 stories without fear of any objections.

Times are awful economically for both the Hotel and office business but not forever and if someone has the cojones no better time to start.

The next steps are all about confidence in the national economy and Waterford Inc.

Personally would love to see a bold move by the Government and relocate the WIT in its entirety to the site thereby adding 10k people to the city centre immediately and the critical mass that would bring.

My truppence h'alpenny worth.
    Ha ha, WIT cant get money off the government to fix their main building leaky roof or clean the grime off their buildings , so I dont think the will be funded to up sticks and move to the NQ.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭curmudgeonly

imacman wrote: »
    Ha ha, WIT cant get money off the government to fix their main building leaky roof or clean the grime off their buildings , so I dont think the will be funded to up sticks and move to the NQ.

One can always dream? :)

One can always dream?

We ll build yea a river next to wit, there's already a stream there, shouldn't be a problem

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

I think at this stage and after so much heel dragging/ lack of any real action, we can say this development is unlikely to ever ahead and if it does it won't be anywhere near the scale first headlined.

I think at this stage and after so much heel dragging/ lack of any real action, we can say this development is unlikely to ever ahead and if it does it won't be anywhere near the scale first headlined.

I'd still have confidence, a lot of work has gone into this, and continues to, strangely enough, it could flip very quickly, the more things become uncertain, hopefully so anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Gardner

vriesmays wrote: »

Even though vriesmays maybe a raving lunatic but he isn't wrong here.

Gardner wrote:
    Even though vriesmays maybe a raving lunatic but he isn't wrong here.

We ve no clue how this is gonna work out, of course this could occur, but who knows

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

Having a third level institution in the City Centre is not such a bad idea.

We all know retail is on the wane, so populating city centres with under 30's keeps the place alive. They will probably prefer flats, are more tolerant of noise, do not need a car and contribute to both daytime and night economies. Not all have to be students either.

Anyway, the North Quay's as originally envisaged in probably not happening.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement