Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€300M Investment into Waterford City

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,397 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Dum_Dum wrote: »
    Having a third level institution in the City Centre is not such a bad idea.

We all know retail is on the wane, so populating city centres with under 30's keeps the place alive. They will probably prefer flats, are more tolerant of noise, do not need a car and contribute to both daytime and night economies. Not all have to be students either.

Anyway, the North Quay's as originally envisaged in probably not happening.

very good points

wouldnt knock nq yet though, but things are hanging in the balance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

As a plan B it would have a merit - it could also turn the centre/quays into a bicycling mecca using the bridge to the clock tower (which would surely have to be built in any case) and kicking the parked cars off the quay. So allowing people to take their place with small parades of popup retail and leisure alongside.

imacman wrote: »
    <quote>Having a third level institution in the City Centre is not such a bad idea.

We all know retail is on the wane, so populating city centres with under 30's keeps the place alive. They will probably prefer flats, are more tolerant of noise, do not need a car and contribute to both daytime and night economies. Not all have to be students either.

Anyway, the North Quay's as originally envisaged in probably not happening.</quote>
    To move all of WIT into the NQ you are probably talking at least 100 million if it is taking over 200 million to consolidate DIT/TUD onto the Grangegorman site. I can never see any government investing that much in Waterford ,

could be more than that, maybe a slow expansion into the nq

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭imacman

Having a third level institution in the City Centre is not such a bad idea.

Anyway, the North Quay's as originally envisaged in probably not happening.
    To move WIT to the NQ would cost at least 100 million as its costing over 250 million to consolidate DIT/TUD on to the Grangegorman campus. I can never see a time when any Irish government would invest that kind of money in Waterford

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

UCC's business school is moving to a new facility in the city centre as part of a big urban redevelopment project. It'll accommodate 4,000 students and 200 staff. UCC got €25m investment for this, but their main campus is nearly in the city centre anyway which makes things a bit easier.

As WIT have invested in Carriganore and the WIT Arena on the Cork Road they've really sunk their long term roots out that direction. They have the School of Architecture in the Granary on the Quay, and the College St Campus - that's probably the extent of their forays into the city centre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

Well maybe WIT with the assistance of WCC should build some properties

on the Glen to accommodate students which should be far enough away

from residential areas that they shouldn't cause a nuisance.

There's enough vacant properties lying idle for the last decade if not more!

Can you imagine if The Showboat re-opened the potential business it could create!

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭imacman

hardybuck wrote: »
    UCC's business school is moving to a new facility in the city centre as part of a big urban redevelopment project. It'll accommodate 4,000 students and 200 staff. UCC got €25m investment for this, but their main campus is nearly in the city centre anyway which makes things a bit easier.

As WIT have invested in Carriganore and the WIT Arena on the Cork Road they've really sunk their long term roots out that direction. They have the School of Architecture in the Granary on the Quay, and the College St Campus - that's probably the extent of their forays into the city centre.

WIT is closing down College street and the Granary and moving them back main campus when the new enormous building that is to start construction in 2021 is finished. WCFE is moving into college street and the granary is going back to the council

• Registered Users Posts: 14 TheGom

TheGom wrote: »
    The Ard Ri Hotel & Ferrybank shopping centre are the benchmarks business that side of the river.

Remember this one?

http://cjfa.ie/projects/waterford-south-quays-development-waterhaven-tower-south-quays-waterford-ireland

Outcome annoying traffic lights.

Total spoof job....

Monorail to WIT ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

The North Quays, as I see the state of play at the moment is the following.

WCC seem to be moving ahead with enabling works and are reasonably confident that the money from Government will flow to finish said works.

Al Hokair are just waiting to get their planning fees back plus margin before they do a runner.

WCC need probably three developers to take a section of the site each to commence works of some type, bearing in mind they can literally build what they want up to 14 stories without fear of any objections.

Times are awful economically for both the Hotel and office business but not forever and if someone has the cojones no better time to start.

The next steps are all about confidence in the national economy and Waterford Inc.

Personally would love to see a bold move by the Government and relocate the WIT in its entirety to the site thereby adding 10k people to the city centre immediately and the critical mass that would bring.

My truppence h'alpenny worth.

Can you explain how Al hokair are going to get their planning fees returned......’flipping on the site’....?

Also Anyone who uses the term ‘Waterford inc’ or ‘Ireland inc’ deserves to be flogged in public...a throw back to the ‘Keltic tiger‘ era When everyone thought they could walk on water and their farts didn’t smell.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭curmudgeonly

Asdfgh2020 wrote: »
    Can you explain how Al hokair are going to get their planning fees returned......’flipping on the site’....?

Also Anyone who uses the term ‘Waterford inc’ or ‘Ireland inc’ deserves to be flogged in public...a throw back to the ‘Keltic tiger‘ era When everyone thought they could walk on water and their farts didn’t smell.

Were you out last night? a tad sensitive maybe? If you are serious I would suggest you go forth and multiply, if all you can bring to the discussion is a semantics argument ,and to add insult to injury you spell Celtic with a K.
    Mutters to himself probably a f&&king Tan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭91wx763

Were you out last night? a tad sensitive maybe? If you are serious I would suggest you go forth and multiply, if all you can bring to the discussion is a semantics argument ,and to add insult to injury you spell Celtic with a K.
    Mutters to himself probably a f&&king Tan.

You had a small bit of credibility until you came out with that last statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭curmudgeonly

91wx763 wrote: »
    You had a small bit of credibility until you came out with that last statement.

Still no emoji for sarcasm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

2017 becomes mid 2018 becomes Q1, 2,3,4 2019 .....2023. At least the local politicos are getting some milage out of it. And not a brick has been harmed in the whole fiasco.

Has that Lyle Lanley guy ever come back with the fancy projections since?

Take everything Wanderer78 says with a lorry full of salt!,biggest spoofer on here.

I don't agree with a lot of what he says but he seems very well intentioned. No need to be mean :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭sweet_trip

I miss R&H Hall. :(

Kind of was a monument to the depressing neglected kip waterford is hahaha
    Hope they never knock down Jury's hotel.

There's a reason the cliffs coming into the city are called mount misery.
    It's all very romantic.

LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Dexpat

This thread has really gone to the dogs. Are there any mods to tidy it up and at least try to keep the pointless bickering and useless off topic posts to a minimum?

As far as I see it, things still seem to be moving in a positive direction. It looks like in the WORST case scenario the site has been cleared, funding for all the access works is in place or the council are sure it will be. The new bridge accross the river has full planning and funding. It will be built and will link the Waterford greenway which will come up along the Quay to the New Ross greenway (under construction) arriving at the north quays. This will have huge tourism benefits. There is also a strong possibility that moving the train station will be given the green light. Nothing as complex as this with so many interested parties and competing interests has probably been attempted in Ireland outside Dublin. The timeline has slipped and it might slip further but it would be amazing if it hadn't.

There seems to be an assumption that the developers of the commercial, retail and residential elements will dissappear once they recoup what they have invested. Maybe they will, but as far as I can see they have done what they have said they were going to do up to this point. Full plannning permission has been achieved and they always said it would begin once funding commitments were in place. The delay as is on the governments side as always in Waterfords case.

What has been achieved so far means that a large development on the north quays is inevitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

sweet_trip wrote: »
    I miss R&H Hall. :(

Kind of was a monument to the depressing neglected kip waterford is hahaha
    Hope they never knock down Jury's hotel.

There's a reason the cliffs coming into the city are called mount misery.
    It's all very romantic.

LOL

Think I read somewhere Mount Misery name coined after Cromwell's army besieging the city were camped up there and got Dysentery or some such. Which was nice.;)
    Waterford will prevail.

Dexpat wrote:
    There seems to be an assumption that the developers of the commercial, retail and residential elements will dissappear once they recoup what they have invested. Maybe they will, but as far as I can see they have done what they have said they were going to do up to this point. Full plannning permission has been achieved and they always said it would begin once funding commitments were in place. The delay as is on the governments side as always in Waterfords case.

Ah shur, I'm sure the rise in the value of property in the region, should be good anyway!

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Ah shur, I'm sure the rise in the value of property in the region, should be good anyway!

Ah shur maybe it will, and maybe it will give more people jobs (of all kinds) and at least be a start in reversing the need for a lot of people to leave the region every year.

We would all be in mud huts if development was always looked at as a bad thing. Maybe people were happier in mud huts with simpler lives but that's not the world we live in now. Development can and should be of benefit to the people living in an area as well as giving a return to those putting in the investment. I know it's very important to hold developers to account which I accept has been hugely lacking in the past. This development isn't perfect but on balance it's on the better end of the scale.

• Advertisement

So rising house prices and possibly the creation of many jobs of low wages and precarious employment!

No idea where you're going with mud huts????

So rising house prices and possibly the creation of many jobs of low wages and precarious employment!

No idea where you're going with mud huts????

In your world view taking it to its logical conclusion, all development from the dawn of civilisation which led to taking risks for personal gain seems to be bad.

I never mentioned that low wage jobs and precarious employment as being a good thing. Zero hour contracts etc are awful. I would never buy anything from amazon for example and I try to shop local or the city centre (in Dublin) when I can.

Paying people a decent living wage regardless of the job is essential. Paying CEOs of multinational companies hundreds of multiples of the average workers salaries is criminal. The fact is though, that some people will have worked harder, have more skills and do more challenging jobs and will be paid more. Lower paid jobs in retail, cleaning, security etc are necessary and suit a lot of people. It can get younger people into the workforce and give other people a purpose in life. What's the unemployment rate in Waterford at the moment?

Anyway I won't be joining you in the 'Economic implications of housing in Waterford' thread. I'd a bit of time on my hands today but I'll stick to the thread topic in future.

Dexpat wrote: »
    In your world view taking it to its logical conclusion, all development from the dawn of civilisation which led to taking risks for personal gain seems to be bad.

I never mentioned that low wage jobs and precarious employment as being a good thing. Zero hour contracts etc are awful. I would never buy anything from amazon for example and I try to shop local or the city centre (in Dublin) when I can.

Paying people a decent living wage regardless of the job is essential. Paying CEOs of multinational companies hundreds of multiples of the average workers salaries is criminal. The fact is though, that some people will have worked harder, have more skills and do more challenging jobs and will be paid more. Lower paid jobs in retail, cleaning, security etc are necessary and suit a lot of people. It can get younger people into the workforce and give other people a purpose in life. What's the unemployment rate in Waterford at the moment?

Anyway I won't be joining you in the 'Economic implications of housing in Waterford' thread. I'd a bit of time on my hands today but I'll stick to the thread topic in future.

not at all, no idea where your going with your logical conclusion???

so, whats the craic with this project, what is the over all types of jobs breakdown?

baring in mind, a large proportion of high level employees pay, such as ceo's and directors etc, is in fact in 'stock options', and in some cases, its the majority of their pay. its why i advocate that all employees should be paid a small extra bonus in stocks and shares, this might off set some of the negative aspects of these jobs. the same younger people, who might just be trying to get out of the family home, into the rental sector, or maybe even into the housing market, in the local region? havent a clue of unemployment level, but i suspect it wont be too good, come the new year.

fair play ta yea

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Bards

not at all, no idea where your going with your logical conclusion???

so, whats the craic with this project, what is the over all types of jobs breakdown?

baring in mind, a large proportion of high level employees pay, such as ceo's and directors etc, is in fact in 'stock options', and in some cases, its the majority of their pay. its why i advocate that all employees should be paid a small extra bonus in stocks and shares, this might off set some of the negative aspects of these jobs. the same younger people, who might just be trying to get out of the family home, into the rental sector, or maybe even into the housing market, in the local region? havent a clue of unemployment level, but i suspect it wont be too good, come the new year.

fair play ta yea

Rob issued a tweet saying the following "Good news; all 298 apartments have been pre-sold to US Community developer on North Quays, bringing a new low rent model to Ireland, with developer keen to roll out model to each city. All that’s needed is Cabinet funding green light"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

Bards wrote: »
    Rob issued a tweet saying the following "Good news; all 298 apartments have been pre-sold to US Community developer on North Quays, bringing a new low rent model to Ireland, with developer keen to roll out model to each city. All that’s needed is Cabinet funding green light"

The low rent model has been around for 60 odd years - it's called public housing. No private developer has ever come close to it. I suspect his version of low rent and mine differ by about 500 euro pcm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Bards

The low rent model has been around for 60 odd years - it's called public housing. No private developer has ever come close to it. I suspect his version of low rent and mine differ by about 500 euro pcm.

The main thing is the fact that the apartments and hotel are all pre-sold before a pile is driven into the bedrock.. This can only be a good thing with regards to the overall project proceeding

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

Bards wrote: »
    The main thing is the fact that the apartments and hotel are all pre-sold before a pile is driven into the bedrock.. This can only be a good thing with regards to the overall project proceeding

I've just read the to-fro on Twitter between Rob Cass and Cllr Eddie Mulligan and I'm still none the wiser. Looks like there are 'trust issues' still to be resolved.

Bards wrote:

Devil's in the detail! What is a community developer, and what's a low rent model? We could build our own public housing via our own public infrastructure bank, if only our politicians realised it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭jelutong

Did Mr Cass say how many retail units have been pre-sold?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

Devil's in the detail! What is a community developer, and what's a low rent model? We could build our own public housing via our own public infrastructure bank, if only our politicians realised it

It could be a ‘Pubic private partnership’ type of arrangement/investment.......?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement