Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€300M Investment into Waterford City

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Just thought I'd give this a cheeky bump with the gubberment announcement regarding capital spending - I'm going to assume the Suadi's will be spending more here than the state in the next strategic plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,397 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Just thought I'd give this a cheeky bump with the gubberment announcement regarding capital spending - I'm going to assume the Suadi's will be spending more here than the state in the next strategic plan.

is the government gonna put in any money at all for this investment?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    is the government gonna put in any money at all for this investment?

Council haven't put in their submission yet, they doing cost benefit, plans, etc...im assuming they know when requests need to be in.id say soon enough considering capital review is published in September.Council said recently, they'd have something published end July/start August , designs, etc.
    We should be sending letters and emails to the ministers responsible for deciding what money goes where...paschal donohoe,eoghan Murphy, Leo.I'd also let local td's in region know how important it is...the most important thing/opportunity in a lifetime, private investor willing to put in 250m.
    I got a few general responses from various govt departments, couple local td's, nothing sensational obviously but if everyone let's them know, less likely to ignore it.I know some think its a waste of time but I have gotten letters, emails and calls back from td's, ministers and a taoiseach once, sometimes all positive, sometimes mixed results.... if not successful, the negative moaners and nay sayers like below will be delighted they can say they were right to be so negative all along.again though, lot of positives there...SDZ, private funds, they have already committed in different report, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

It's just not going to happen!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Waterboy2014

I was just reading v interesting article in Munster Express RE Councils progress on CPO-ing several sites surrounding North Quays site. Looks like its moving again. I'm expecting some sort of announcement by Council over coming weeks about the development plans they have drawn up for site. Looking forward to seeing the plans

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Deiseen

I was just reading v interesting article in Munster Express RE Councils progress on CPO-ing several sites surrounding North Quays site. Looks like its moving again. I'm expecting some sort of announcement by Council over coming weeks about the development plans they have drawn up for site. Looking forward to seeing the plans

Good to hear. It's been a little quiet lately so nice to see that it's still moving.

Don't think it was ever the case that council weren't working on it, they have said numerous times they working on cost benefit analysis and plans last number of months and continuing to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭914

We must be getting close to being able to view the plans for the area?

914 wrote: »
    We must be getting close to being able to view the plans for the area?

Yeah, think so.I'd say extent of what council plan/would like will depend on level of gov't funding.e.g. they might want to do certain things but mightnt have money for it so wouldn't put 100% certainty in plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

The article in The Munster Express was interesting. They were suggesting that they were CPOing the industrial units on abbey road as access for construction traffic but also for a bridge across to join abbey road with the mall. This would be great. Along with the pedestrian bridge at the clock tower it would really bring Ferrybank into the city centre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭jelutong

Ive heard the thinking behind this is to relocate the car parks along the Quay to Ferrybank. Hence the need for two bridges.

kilkenny31 wrote: »
    The article in The Munster Express was interesting. They were suggesting that they were CPOing the industrial units on abbey road as access for construction traffic but also for a bridge across to join abbey road with the mall. This would be great. Along with the pedestrian bridge at the clock tower it would really bring Ferrybank into the city centre.

Think they said the vehicle bridge at mall is a long term item and main reason for CPO is north quays access.

Presumably they are fixed bridges, if so that is the end of cruise vessels docking in town

Here's that Munster story

http://www.munster-express.ie/community-notes/north-quay-cpo-is-biggest-of-its-kind-in-waterford-city/

Presumably they are fixed bridges, if so that is the end of cruise vessels docking in town

Don't think so no.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

I have to say this is all positive. They seem to be planning this as an extension of the city centre rather then just constructing buildings on the Docks. They are opening the whole area up and making it accessible from both ferrybank and the city centre. Plenty of planning gone into it. Now all we can hope for are some good quality buildings developed on the site. A nice hotel overlooking the river and south side of the city would be nice. The best view of Waterford is from Ferrybank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

Here's that Munster story

http://www.munster-express.ie/community-notes/north-quay-cpo-is-biggest-of-its-kind-in-waterford-city/

Some Cruise Liners are too big for Waterford Port, unlike Dublin Port so they anchor off Dunmore East. Passengers are transferred by bus from Dunmore East into Waterford City but nevertheless it should not be a fixed bridge!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

It literally says opening span bridge in the article you guys are talking about.

Some Cruise Liners are too big for Waterford Port, unlike Dublin Port so they anchor off Dunmore East. Passengers are transferred by bus from Dunmore East into Waterford City but nevertheless it should not be a fixed bridge!

The pesky River Suir and it's modest maximum depth! We should send it to Cork to be deepened.
    JohnC. wrote: »
    It literally says opening span bridge in the article you guys are talking about.

Well indeed it does though it's not a certainty as phrased below.
    The consultants have advised the Council that an access road should be provided on the Ferrybank side of the River Suir in the event of another opening span bridge being constructed in due course.

Clearly it would be the wise thing but the costs difference of fixed v opening is significant.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭gobo99

Building a fixed bridge downstream from an opening bridge would seem unlikely, no?

gobo99 wrote: »
    Building a fixed bridge downstream from an opening bridge would seem unlikely, no?

On the face of it but as far as I know the only traffic that might need a bridge lift now is at the Fastnet yard by the foundary and that really should be moved down river so all that area can be redeveloped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

On the face of it but as far as I know the only traffic that might need a bridge lift now is at the Fastnet yard by the foundary and that really should be moved down river so all that area can be redeveloped.

Is there not some requirement not to block traffic to upriver sites which might be (re-)developed in the future?

I would think there might be a serious objection from KKCC for instance that blocking access to the likes of Fidown is not acceptable.

I would imagine they would have reasonable grounds to object in that case.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭MentalMario

Is there not some requirement not to block traffic to upriver sites which might be (re-)developed in the future?

I would think there might be a serious objection from KKCC for instance that blocking access to the likes of Fidown is not acceptable.

I would imagine they would have reasonable grounds to object in that case.

The toll bridge blocks that access anyway, doesn't it?

The bypass bridge deck has a clearance of 14m which is high enough for anything likely to want to pass upstream

Been to Waterford last two weekends in a row.
    What an amazing beautiful city.
    The outdoor music at different parts of the city is amazing. beers outside, no messers, just great atmosphere

Well done good people of Waterford

Nice to hear brother Andy.

I saw a boat/barge with stilts/outriggers in river yesterday where new pedestrian bridge proposed, I'd guess they were doing that geo survey council advertised for some months ago.anyone else confirm if it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

Been to Waterford last two weekends in a row.
    What an amazing beautiful city.
    The outdoor music at different parts of the city is amazing. beers outside, no messers, just great atmosphere

Well done good people of Waterford

Lol sure you have the right city dude?
    That's actually opposite of a general sat night...

Hoffmans wrote: »

The two nights I was down recently were Saturday nights. I've been down many many times Before as I sail from there a lot, so I think I am able to give an honest appraisal.

an a separate note, sailing out to sea up the river is absolutely paradise

• Registered Users Posts: 29,397 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

an a separate note, sailing out to sea up the river is absolutely paradise

Done the river rescue run a while ago, lovely coming into the city on the river

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭gw80

Ah, get over yourself boi,
    Most people go out have a good time and go home, it can get a bit messy with the younger crowd but even the majority of them do the same, they are young, let them have some fun,
    What would you prefer, a continental style night out, a group of 20 year olds sitting around a table sipping tea, discussing politics, or worse, 4 or 5 kids sipping on one pint (iv seen it)and home by 10,
    And its not like it doesn't happen in every other city in ireland.

• Advertisement

Maybe Hoffman you should be looking at your own nights out, mates or behaviour if its the opposite to brother Andy's description.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement