Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€300M Investment into Waterford City

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40063934.html%3ftype=amp

Spot who isn't getting any more money....

On the plus side, Shannon and Cork airports are getting €10M each.....

The gubberment has already committed 5m for the runway extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭tbayers

Disappointing to say the least, unless they're holding back for one big announcement. I don't think they would hide a big announcement like it would be in a budget like this. Here's hoping

What are you looking for? Anything regarding NQP will be under the general Capital spend, and the airport is getting the 5m I mentioned plus the local/independent funding.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭tbayers

What are you looking for? Anything regarding NQP will be under the general Capital spend, and the airport is getting the 5m I mentioned plus the local/independent funding.

Isn't that the point, the big ticket items have been mentioned in the budget the NQP hasn't??

Not really, the total public spend would be about 100m, it's quite a lot but not blockbuster "gets it's own headline" type spending. And even if it were the examiner might be the last place it would be reported ;)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

The gubberment has already committed 5m for the runway extension.

And when did they forward that on? Or is it on the never never as well. Remember WIT were "going to be" building this Engineering building for about 20 years, who knows it might get done but unless you have a contract sealed in blood by a politician and start physically doing the work it's still fairytale forest stuff.

Good question, I have no answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

And when did they forward that on? Or is it on the never never as well. Remember WIT were "going to be" building this Engineering building for about 20 years, who knows it might get done but unless you have a contract sealed in blood by a politician and start physically doing the work it's still fairytale forest stuff.

Probably when it's actually needed.

A planning notice only went up for this in July.

hardybuck wrote: »

Ah yes, planning. I "plan" to take a **** soon. But until I plonk the cheeks above the porcelain throne and engage the sphincter, it's turtle neck danger zone.

Plans are great. But they don't get **** done.

Ah yes, planning. I "plan" to take a **** soon. But until I plonk the cheeks above the porcelain throne and engage the sphincter, it's turtle neck danger zone.

Indeed...but just to confirm - the State won't give money to a private company looking to build a runway before they have secured planning approval for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭spaceCreated

Have you ever been to WIT, its been needed for more than 20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Did the opriginal planning expire?

Did the opriginal planning expire?

No idea - did they previously get planning?

Have you ever been to WIT, its been needed for more than 20 years.

No I went to University.

Sorry couldn't resist it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Bards

Back on topic... Budget has been and gone... Any news on Govt Funding?

Bards wrote: »

There's always next year?

No, but no project specific list was drawn up for announcement beyond some transport commitments as far as I can see, to be honest the money in question should already be "in the system", not reliant on fresh capital from this budget. That said it would be nice to have a fresh commitment by the gubberment or one of their lackies locally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

The above deserves the most ‘Retarded comment Of the day award’

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

There's always next year?

The story now is the minister is drawing up a funding proposal according to the Taoiseach. The last time it was going to come before cabinet in September. It is an absolute joke. It is just the same old story when it comes to Waterford and the government. They are just a complete barrier to progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭imacman

No idea - did they previously get planning?

The WIT engineering building had planning permission and was weeks away from digging foundations and the project was pulled in 2011. Mysteriously the ITcarlow research building was in a similar situation at the same time but it got built , a certain disgraced former Carlow/kilkenny Td made sure it got done

• Advertisement

Asdfgh2020 wrote: »
    The above deserves the most ‘Retarded comment Of the day award’

You ok Hun? X X X

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭91wx763

Bards wrote: »

Mary the canary TD was on the radio yesterday saying she spoke to city manager and a memo has to go to governemnt ASAP, the minister Darragh O'Brien had told her 2 weeks ago that "it" would be happening in October and she was going off to chase him.

Whether the "it" was funding or a decision on funding is another story....

Matt Shanahan spoke in the Dail yesterday putting specific questions on funding to Michael Martin.

Matt Shanahan spoke in the Dail yesterday putting specific questions on funding to Michael Martin.

I mean you can just see through every word they say at this stage. He said

“I often felt we could have done better with financial services in Waterford from a foreign direct investment perspective, and I am keen on that.”

So he knows what we already know that a financial services company has taken space in the north quays development. So he is saying he is aspiring for Waterford to do better in financial services then will take credit when it happens that he has achieved this aspiration for Waterford. Even though in reality this is something he has done nothing to achieve. And in fact over his time in politics he has actively prevented government support for Waterford. This is a man who when he was minister for trade and enterprise removed the IDA regional director from Waterford. Listen to what he has said. Everything that is in his power now to work on, that he was asked about, he did not answer or fluffed over.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,397 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

BBM77 wrote: »

“I often felt we could have done better with financial services in Waterford from a foreign direct investment perspective, and I am keen on that.”

So he knows what we already know that a financial services company has taken space in the north quays development. So he is saying he is aspiring for Waterford to do better in financial services then will take credit when it happens that he has achieved this aspiration for Waterford. Even though in reality this is something he has done nothing to achieve. And in fact over his time in politics he has actively prevented government support for Waterford. This is a man who when he was minister for trade and enterprise removed the IDA regional director from Waterford. Listen to what he has said. Everything that is in his power now to work on, that he was asked about, he did not answer or fluffed over.

i hope hes considering the possible negatives of increasing financial services activities in the region!

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    i hope hes considering the possible negatives of increasing financial services activities in the region!

These kind of comments are starting to get like finger nails being dragged across a blackboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,397 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

These kind of comments are starting to get like finger nails being dragged across a blackboard.

good!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

Could you explain a bit better what you are trying to say here...? You start off saying that Matt shanahan put questions to ‘me-hole’......then you start a quote from someone talking about how Waterford should have more financial services type companies etc.....is this a quote from ‘me-hole’.......?

Asdfgh2020 wrote: »
    Could you explain a bit better what you are trying to say here...? You start off saying that Matt shanahan put questions to ‘me-hole’......then you start a quote from someone talking about how Waterford should have more financial services type companies etc.....is this a quote from ‘me-hole’.......?

Yeah, the quote was part of Micheal Martins reply to Matt Shanahan.

https://www.wlrfm.com/2020/10/15/waterford-td-asks-do-we-matter-in-health-education-and-economic-revival/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Deiseen

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    good!

Very very close to muting you Wanderer.

I know you are a decent person, unlike that other troll, but your derailing this thread every bit as much.

To insinuate that it would be bad to have additional financial companies in the area, providing well paying jobs to the people of waterford, is about as idiotic a statement as I've ever seen on here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement