Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€300M Investment into Waterford City

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

In Communist Russia, everybody equal. Nobody complain. Or else.

Some were/are always more equal than others though

• Registered Users Posts: 29,394 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Deiseen wrote:
    How do you actually think poverty levels have been reduced so drastically over the last century? By handing out the dole is it?

Gini coefficients (inequality) are on the rise, globally, there's a major disparity currently occuring between older and younger generations, largely due to asset ownership, this is heavily skewed, not just between the rich and lesser well off, but between these generations, the most notable, and most obvious asset ownership, being property.

Developments such as this cause a rapid rise in property prices in the region they occur in, but we currently exist in a low wage inflationary environment, stagnant in some cases, I.e. it's highly unlikely that we ll get an increase in pay, that will compensate for this rapid rise in property prices.

We ve been playing this game for a number of decades now, has it been working, has it improved our standard of living, particularly in relation to our property and working needs? For example, have our working lives become less stressful, are we working less hours, is it becoming easier to fulfill our debt obligations, particularly in relation to morgage debt?

You ll find, as we ve been playing this game, each new generation is getting a rawer deal than the previous one, particularly as they reach the ages of employment and requiring their own accommodation. this approach is now starting to fail significantly, particularly for these younger generations, and not just in relation to their working conditions and their property needs, anger is growing amongst them, and they're showing it in many ways, particularly at the poles.

By the looks of it, a large proportion of the longer term jobs of this project will be based in the retail and service sectors, have a guess who's most likely to take up most of these jobs, which generations? Retail and service sectors are well known for their generous pay and comfortable working conditions, aren't they? Maybe debenhams workers should just get over themselves!

We need developments such as this, we need visionaries such as rob cass, we need them for more than just creating jobs, we need them to help evolve our environments. we all know this region desperately needs major investment, and this probably is the project to do it, it's a truly astonishing vision, it has the potential to completely transform the region, but......

We need to try offset the negatives, because they are now unsustainable, we ve been ignoring them for too long, and it's now undermining everything, including those that have more skin in the game, particularly property owners, or those that have a claim on ownership (morgage holders). The game of continually rising asset prices is coming to an end, and not just here in Ireland, and the young have had enough of it, they've had enough of being continually screwed, because of it, expect voting outcomes to continue in a radical nature, until these folks get what they need.
    BBM77 wrote:
    So to you these types of developments are fundamentally flawed because of the inequality they create. However you can offer no alternative on how they could happen. Fair enough then!

Yes I do believe so, as outlined, and it's well supported by research from respected sources. patience, I'm working on it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Deiseen

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Gini coefficients (inequality) are on the rise, globally, there's a major disparity currently occuring between older and younger generations, largely due to asset ownership, this is heavily skewed, not just between the rich and lesser well off, but between these generations, the most notable, and most obvious asset ownership, being property.

Developments such as this cause a rapid rise in property prices in the region they occur in, but we currently exist in a low wage inflationary environment, stagnant in some cases, I.e. it's highly unlikely that we ll get an increase in pay, that will compensate for this rapid rise in property prices.

We ve been playing this game for a number of decades now, has it been working, has it improved our standard of living, particularly in relation to our property and working needs? For example, have our working lives become less stressful, are we working less hours, is it becoming easier to fulfill our debt obligations, particularly in relation to morgage debt?

You ll find, as we ve been playing this game, each new generation is getting a rawer deal than the previous one, particularly as they reach the ages of employment and requiring their own accommodation. this approach is now starting to fail significantly, particularly for these younger generations, and not just in relation to their working conditions and their property needs, anger is growing amongst them, and they're showing it in many ways, particularly at the poles.

By the looks of it, a large proportion of the longer term jobs of this project will be based in the retail and service sectors, have a guess who's most likely to take up most of these jobs, which generations? Retail and service sectors are well known for their generous pay and comfortable working conditions, aren't they? Maybe debenhams workers should just get over themselves!

We need developments such as this, we need visionaries such as rob cass, we need them for more than just creating jobs, we need them to help evolve our environments. we all know this region desperately needs major investment, and this probably is the project to do it, it's a truly astonishing vision, it has the potential to completely transform the region, but......

We need to try offset the negatives, because they are now unsustainable, we ve been ignoring them for too long, and it's now undermining everything, including those that have more skin in the game, particularly property owners, or those that have a claim on ownership (morgage holders). The game of continually rising asset prices is coming to an end, and not just here in Ireland, and the young have had enough of it, they've had enough of being continually screwed, because of it, expect voting outcomes to continue in a radical nature, until these folks get what they need.

Yes I do believe so, as outlined, and it's well supported by research from respected sources. patience, I'm working on it

1. What game was Waterford been playing the last few decades? If it's the "No Jobs Game" or the "Very Low Paid Jobs Game" then I agree with you but I don't think this is what you are talking about.

2. This development will employ everyone from cleaners to software developers (hopefully) to construction project managers. It will cover jobs for low skilled workers and hopefully many high skilled workers too. There will be more low skilled workers but that's just how life works and that is why they are called "skills" because not everyone has them! Or do you think a cleaner should be paid the same as a software engineer?

3. There are many people in Waterford who would love to love to become a retail assistant, barman, cleaner, etc etc and enjoy the flexibility that some of those jobs provide because they are young or because they have a family. Currently the jobs are not there but they might be after this development is built. Would you rather that these people stayed unemployed waiting for some worldwide revolution?

4. This inequality conversation between the rich and the poor is so off topic for this thread it is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I would not only expect this, but see it as beneficial.

Someone who has worked a few decades and 'invested' their excess earnings wisely Vs those who have been in the workforce a 'wet day' ........... what the heck is expected?
    Equality of asset ownership? gimme a break!

I would not only expect this, but see it as beneficial.

Someone who has worked a few decades and 'invested' their excess earnings wisely Vs those who have been in the workforce a 'wet day' ........... what the heck is expected?
    Equality of asset ownership?

this approach is actually underming your pension fund, and its ability to pay you enough in order to survive on, into the future

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Deiseen wrote: »
    1. What game was Waterford been playing the last few decades? If it's the "No Jobs Game" or the "Very Low Paid Jobs Game" then I agree with you but I don't think this is what you are talking about.
    Electing far left-wing councillors, declaring the city a sanctuary for asylum chancers, going on strike and forcing the smart youth to leave.
    2. This development will employ everyone from cleaners to software developers (hopefully) to construction project managers. It will cover jobs for low skilled workers and hopefully many high skilled workers too. There will be more low skilled workers but that's just how life works and that is why they are called "skills" because not everyone has them! Or do you think a cleaner should be paid the same as a software engineer?
    This development will be an eyesore worse than the Ardree. The only beneficiary will be Waterford Walls.

3. There are many people in Waterford who would love to love to become a retail assistant, barman, cleaner, etc etc and enjoy the flexibility that some of those jobs provide because they are young or because they have a family. Currently the jobs are not there but they might be after this development is built. Would you rather that these people stayed unemployed waiting for some worldwide revolution?
    Most low-paid work is now done by the non-nationals.
    4. This inequality conversation between the rich and the poor is so off topic for this thread it is ridiculous.
    There are no rich in Waterford only professionals in secret societies.

vriesmays wrote: »
    Electing far left-wing councillors, declaring the city a sanctuary for asylum chancers, going on strike and forcing the smart youth to leave.

who?

This development will be an eyesore worse than the Ardree. The only beneficiary will be Waterford Walls.

the ardree will more than likely be developed, if this project goes ahead

Most low-paid work is now done by the non-nationals.

evidence?

There are no rich in Waterford only professionals in secret societies.

what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

This thread is gone past ridiculous. Is their any mods anymore or has boards become a sanctuary for the loonies.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

This thread is gone past ridiculous. Is their any mods anymore or has boards become a sanctuary for the loonies.

I suppose with the pubs closed your man who knows everything but understands nothing had to find another outlet.

I suppose with the pubs closed your man who knows everything but understands nothing had to find another outlet.

whos that?

• Advertisement

whos that?

Vriesmays

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Vriesmays

There's two...

There's two...

whos the other one?

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I’ll be honest, I gave up reading it months ago, I’m only on here now as someone just reported a post here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

all systems go, by the looks of it, plans look great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Strikes me that a lot of of it's future and maybe Waterford's is in being cost competitive v Dublin. Bringing people back combined with having a reduced brain drain - just a pity the TUSE looks like such an academic lame duck. A properly funded university would go so far to turning the city round.

Strikes me that a lot of of it's future and maybe Waterford's is in being cost competitive v Dublin. Bringing people back combined with having a reduced brain drain - just a pity the TUSE looks like such an academic lame duck. A properly funded university would go so far to turning the city round.

yup, hes definitely selling the cost difference between waterford and dublin, which is currently very true, who the hell could afford to live in dublin, i know people slowly coming back from there, but this development alone will drive up the cost of property and land in the region, so that difference will more than likely decrease over time. id love to know exactly whos taking up the office spaces, incredible idea though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

If these will be international financial offices then it will be like the IFSC. Lots of companies with few workers, flying in a few days per month, using the location as a tax base. Empty most of the time with the main office abroad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

vriesmays wrote: »
    If these will be international financial offices then it will be like the IFSC. Lots of companies with few workers, flying in a few days per month, using the location as a tax base. Empty most of the time with the main office abroad.

Except there's no working airport to fly into. And the hotel they would stay at is currently a cross between The Shining and 28 Days Later.

• Advertisement

Rob talks a lot about how private capital can turn things around and it's a start. But with a hostile Government diverting resources away from WIT to Carlow and numerous other attacks due in the next few years, it's a case of running to stand still.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Bards

Dum_Dum wrote: »
    Rob talks a lot about how private capital can turn things around and it's a start. But with a hostile Government diverting resources away from WIT to Carlow and numerous other attacks due in the next few years, it's a case of running to stand still.

FF and FG are dinasours.. They have alienated all the young people with this lockdown... No way will the young vote for the status quo and the older generation who voted FF and FG is dying off... Times they are a changing

funnily enough, private capital also brought us the not so 'great moderation'!

funnily enough, private capital also brought us the not so 'great moderation'!

Let's just sort Waterford out first before we take on the global economic system.

Let's just sort Waterford out first before we take on the global economic system.

this is about waterford, its the same game going on here, i.e. encouragement of asset price inflation, particularly in relation to property and land, which ultimately raises private debt levels, i.e. the overall philosophy of the not so great moderation, leading us to 08!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

Passed along there today. Work seems to have stepped up gear. They are doing something around the old office block up from the bridge end. Scaffolding to one side. It is a great positive story to look at in these times when people are obsessed daily death counts.

Bards wrote: »
    "which is expected to receive the green light to begin in the coming weeks."

I've been listening to this "coming weeks" for 2 years now... When in gods name will the coming weeks actually get here... It's getting tiring at this stage

Another two weeks elapsed.

Another two weeks elapsed.

Paaaaaaaaainfully slow but it looks like there'll be something substantial on Tuesday.

Fingers crossed.

• Advertisement

Paaaaaaaaainfully slow but it looks like there'll be something substantial on Tuesday.

Fingers crossed.

cant see why it wont go ahead at all

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement