Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€300M Investment into Waterford City

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2017/0731/894185-taoiseach-opens-new-bausch-lomb-waterford-facility/

Although not directly associated with the theme of this thread, isn't it great to

see John Halligan associated with this development and all the hard work

attributed to him in retaining the company in Waterford!

If they were photographing the clearing of **** from the ground he would be somewhere in the background!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2017/0731/894185-taoiseach-opens-new-bausch-lomb-waterford-facility/

Although not directly associated with the theme of this thread, isn't it great to

see John Halligan associated with this development and all the hard work

attributed to him in retaining the company in Waterford!

If they were photographing the clearing of **** from the ground he would be somewhere in the background!

Damned if ya do ,damned if ya dont

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

Anyone know what the platform located in the river at the North Wharf is being used for. I wonder is it carrying out surveys of the river bed for the development?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

kilkenny31 wrote: »
    Anyone know what the platform located in the river at the North Wharf is being used for. I wonder is it carrying out surveys of the river bed for the development?

Id guess it is yeah, its been on that line where proposed bridge is since last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

http://www.wlrfm.com/2017/08/08/plans-progress-on-north-quays-development/

So it is official. Waterford city and County Council are applying for €61.5 million in state funding to develop infrastructure to allow the North Wharf to be developed. Maybe I am being naively positive but surely they must be pretty certain they will get it if they have started the CPO process already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Deiseen

"insert typical generic whinging comment here"

This is great news!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭914

Great news indeed, Leo now has a chance to put his words into action.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Taxburden carrier

While they are at it, could they do a CPO on the mile long south quay car park?

While they are at it, could they do a CPO on the mile long south quay car park?

No is the short answer,The hoped for 60mill only goes so far tax burden, we'd all like to see car parking reduced on south quays but we don't/will not have the money anytime soon for that, concentrate on north quays, pedestrian bridge, development there is name of game for next 3-5 years id expect, if north quays takes off, private and public money would be available for south quays.

BBM77 wrote: »
    http://www.wlrfm.com/2017/08/08/plans-progress-on-north-quays-development/

So it is official. Waterford city and County Council are applying for €61.5 million in state funding to develop infrastructure to allow the North Wharf to be developed. Maybe I am being naively positive but surely they must be pretty certain they will get it if they have started the CPO process already.

Bbm, I'd say they are fairly hopeful they will get some of it yeah, how much, we will see.it is unlikely they're gonna hand over 60m to council in one go so it might be a+b+c over certain time.
    It's positive that they had Leo down last week to outline all this to him, his words were positive, talk is cheap we all know, but positive all the same.as mentioned myself numerous times, we should be writing e-mailing to relevant ministers about this, make sure they know importance, once in lifetime opportunity, private investor,SDZ, committed to support in last capital review pan, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Which minister actually has the power to okay this money?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mickmackmcgoo

Pascal Donohue ultimately I'd think . But maybe it's environment?

As far as I'm aware, couple involved, minister finance paschal donohoe is clearly the money man, the taoiseach himself and I think eoghan Murphy involved too in relation to SDZs.I got one response from finance dept saying that about SDZ and eoghan Murphy in relation to north quays.

There is no way a road bridge will be built, the cost would be about 4 or 5 times as great due to load bearing design and materials, and the knock on engineering for sinking deep piers in the riverbed. A pedestrian bridge could be made of lightweight materials a road bridge of concrete and steel obviously would clock in at thousands of tonnes. Plus you'd have to redesign the point that the road bridge joins the south quay and extend the road from the Ferrybank DC to the exit point on the north quay

The span would need to be about 225 meters, here is the overview of Rice Bridge (which obviously being opening had additional construction costs) https://structurae.net/structures/brother-edmund-ignatius-rice-bridge
    Max Powers wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure it was yourself we talked before,i believe the suggestion was a bridge at tower hotel.......we have 2 fine vehicle bridges, one under used.to suggest another vehicle bridge in city centre is lunacy, what's the point when there is one a couple of hundred metres down the quay.another vehicle bridge out by Ballygunner or out that way yeah , is a vehicle bridge out that way more important than pedestrian (public transport capability great too if possible) linking south and north, not a chance.

It's not about going half way, its about sensible choices and money.

I'll say no more! Great reading in that report!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

What I would like to see on the North Quay (actually East Quay) is some sort of museum. Maybe a science or natural world museum?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

I think it would be cool to have a glass floor for the new bridge. Would a glass floor substantial increase the cost of construction I wonder?

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    I think it would be cool to have a glass floor for the new bridge. Would a glass floor substantial increase the cost of construction I wonder?

Unusual anyway, not to sure if people would walk on it and not really suitable for public transport vehicles I'd guess

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Unusual anyway, not to sure if people would walk on it and not really suitable for public transport vehicles I'd guess

I assume he's talking about the pedestrian bridge. No worry about vehicles.

I don't know about cost, but high valley pedestrian bridges and cliff walkways with glass floors seem to be all the rage in China the last few years.

JohnC. wrote: »
    I assume he's talking about the pedestrian bridge. No worry about vehicles.

I don't know about cost, but high valley pedestrian bridges and cliff walkways with glass floors seem to be all the rage in China the last few years.

As far as i know, the pedestrian bridge will have some form of public transport on it, in some of the computer generated pics you can even see what looks like a bus on it.the fourth bridge is for further down the line/year's, pedestrian bridge is the priority.Yeah saw those glass walkways in likes of grand canyon, don't think its a runner for a more functional bridge, not only engineering wise but I certainly would feel a bit uneasy crossing a length of glass anymore than a few meters long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

As far as i know, the pedestrian bridge will have some form of public transport on it, in some of the computer generated pics you can even see what looks like a bus on it.

I don't think so. The maps have it going from behind the Clock Tower (which I'm sure they've said isn't being moved) onto the docks at the other side with no road connection at either end.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Would be nice if it had a moving walkway ...... for those of us that are really lazy!

:D

JohnC. wrote: »
    I don't think so. The maps have it going from behind the Clock Tower (which I'm sure they've said isn't being moved) onto the docks at the other side with no road connection at either end.

Yeah, saw that, they will have to have some form of junction/plaza there, I'm going on what the pictures look and what i have heard the likes of Michael Walsh and other council people say on radio. The CG images are open to bit of change, you might remember seeing images of Apple market roof all glass and numerous other buildings with slight changes between CG and finished work.

Yeah, saw that, they will have to have some form of junction/plaza there, I'm going on what the pictures look and what i have heard the likes of Michael Walsh and other council people say on radio. The CG images are open to bit of change, you might remember seeing images of Apple market roof all glass and numerous other buildings with slight changes between CG and finished work.

Leave it there Max! Your view is as limited as your outlook!

You couldn't see past the kitchen sink!

Another non sensical post from quiet fella.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Have you considered going out and meeting people, you might find they make you a nicer person.

You post like someone with mild psychopathy

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Waterboy2014

Think you're right Max. Plan is for bridge to take public transport. Whether that will happen is another story. Yes images are only overview. Saw this other picture which looks even better but only bares a slight resemblance to other images in government submission

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭DE DEISE

News and star have some news on this Today

• Registered Users Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭Gavlor

DE DEISE wrote: »
    News and star have some news on this Today

Is it a secret or do you work for n&s and want us to buy a copy??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

If you're on Facebook, check out John Cummins page. He has lots of information. It looks impressive.

You can see the pictures on his page, but here's the text:

"The dream is steadily becoming a reality!

The Draft Plan for the Strategic Development Zone on the North Quays was presented to Council this evening and it makes for very exciting reading.

This plan, which I will pick out some key points from, is expected to go on public display from October 11th for a period of six weeks. I would encourage everyone to engage with the public consultation process as it will be a chance to be part of the largest and most positive development that Waterford has ever seen.

The Draft Plan states that

- The North Quays will be raised by approximately 6 metres, which will facilitate underground parking for 1600-2000 vehicles.

- There will be up to 38,000 sq/m of retail space, which is expected to include such shops as Zara, Monsoon, GAP, Top Man, Marks and Spencer’s etc.

- There will be up to 30,000 sq/m of office space which will be filled by internationally known companies, who are expected to work, live and bring vibrancy to the North Quays.

- Additionally, there will be 11,500 sq/m of beverage/leisure facilities, 15,000 sq/m hotel/events centre, 15,000 sq/m tourism/community facilities and 300 residential units above the car park.

- The new Pedestrian Bridge will cross the River Suir at the Clock Tower, delivering people right into the new Retail Centre. This bridge will include transport that will link the North Quays with Barronstrand Street, Broad Street and the new Michael Street Shopping centre.

- The development will be mixed use and include a number of attractive outdoor features, play areas, cafes, bars, restaurants, cultural and community areas and much more. A boardwalk will run the entire length of the North Quays also…imagine all the power walking that will be done in the evenings!

- The Abbey Road will be widened to allow access to the new Development and another entrance will be facilitated by a new junction on the Dock Road.

- The Draft Plan goes into comprehensive detail about other elements of the development such as flood relief, energy efficiency, building heights (50-60 metres for some landmark buildings), sustainability and future proofing, and much more.

The positivity this development has generated in our city is enormous, when I walk the streets of the city and meet business owners their sense of optimism is palpable – it cannot happen quick enough as far as I am concerned. No longer should we put a ceiling on our city’s ambition,
    this development will enable us to become a destination city."

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement