Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€300M Investment into Waterford City

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Teebor15

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    cant see why it wont go ahead at all

Really?...even with all that asset wealth gini extraction inflation coefficients going on?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,394 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Teebor15 wrote: »
    Really?...even with all that asset wealth gini extraction inflation coefficients going on?

absolutely, our traditional government parties, particularly ffg, have always encouraged this type of wealth extraction and rent seeking behaviour, its the usual game, increase property and land prices, tis all good, the tide trickles down, and all that jazz

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Deiseen wrote: »
    Paaaaaaaaainfully slow but it looks like there'll be something substantial on Tuesday.

Fingers crossed.

Close this thread on Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

TBH would have expected Martain or Leo to attend such an event however Butler appears to confirm funding.

https://www.wlrfm.com/2020/11/04/butler-says-housing-ministers-visit-to-north-quays-site-on-tuesday-wont-be-just-for-a-walk/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I expect both know they would be given pelters if they were seen in public, the housing minister is a non entity in terms of public recognition

https://twitter.com/Robcass78/status/1324451905754570752

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    TBH would have expected Martain or Leo to attend such an event however Butler appears to confirm funding.

https://www.wlrfm.com/2020/11/04/butler-says-housing-ministers-visit-to-north-quays-site-on-tuesday-wont-be-just-for-a-walk/

Not Leo’s department so would be classed as unessential travel. As for Martin it would probably given a Cork politician a stroke to see government investment coming to Waterford so he probably classes it as a high risk trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Dexpat

I expect both know they would be given pelters if they were seen in public, the housing minister is a non entity in terms of public recognition

It's been a long long road but it seems like it is actually going to happen.
    I was half expecting the minister to come down on Tuesday and make an announcement that there will be an anouncement about funding in another 2 or 3 weeks.

I remember there was a November deadline set by the developers and fair play to the government it looks like being met (o yeah that was 2019).

Fair play to everyone involved for getting to this stage though especially Rob Cass and those involved in the council. (I'm sure Mary Butler and John Cummins will be at centre stage when it's announced.)

The project only has to be delivered now. The ball is in developers court.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭JimWinters

Looks like they’re investing in a lot more than just the North Quays!
    https://www.wlrfm.com/2020/11/06/north-quays-funding-set-to-unlock-wider-developments-in-waterford/

JimWinters wrote: »
    Looks like they’re investing in a lot more than just the North Quays!
    https://www.wlrfm.com/2020/11/06/north-quays-funding-set-to-unlock-wider-developments-in-waterford/

sounds about right, monopolisation of property and land

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

I’m afraid to ask but how the hell is owning one 18 acre site and investing in houses that are going to be sold on to people monopolisation of property and land?

• Advertisement

BBM77 wrote: »
    I’m afraid to ask but how the hell is owning one 18 acre site and investing in houses that are going to be sold on to people monopolisation of property and land?

the funding for all these developments are probably backed by the developers entire portfolio, as rob cass explained, these developments will drive up the cost of property and land in the region, making it difficult for others to compete, it gives the developers the upper hand, as id imagine, their current portfolio would be substantial

Hardly a monopoly when there's at least 8 other housing developments going on around the city. 18 acres is a very small parcel of land, there's plenty more zoned for residential around the city. Would you prefer if there was zero investment in Waterford and zero new developments? At least then there wouldn't be any wealth to extract, we could just continue to export a few more generations of young people!

JimWinters wrote: »
    Hardly a monopoly when there's at least 8 other housing developments going on around the city. 18 acres is a very small parcel of land, there's plenty more zoned for residential around the city. Would you prefer if there was zero investment in Waterford and zero new developments? At least then there wouldn't be any wealth to extract, we could just continue to export a few more generations of young people!

not at all, we need these developments, but we also need a fairer share of the overall wealth created, that probably wont happen though, and by the looks of it, a large proportion of the overall jobs created will be low waged and precarious, related to retail and service sectors

not at all, we need these developments, but we also need a fairer share of the overall wealth created, that probably wont happen though, and by the looks of it, a large proportion of the overall jobs created will be low waged and precarious, related to retail and service sectors

At least 10% of all of the houses being built in these developments will be for social housing. The council gets thousands in development levies for each house and for non-residential: https://www.waterfordcouncil.ie/media/planning/Adopted%20Dev%20Con%20Scheme%202015.pdf. That alone is going to be a lot of wealth redistributed in the city.

From my understanding, the office space will be taken up by tech companies. The wages in these companies are far from low, currently paying very competitive wages and attracting people away from Dublin. They will not be precarious, nor will the retail jobs, even if they are low paid. But that's better than no job right?

They are also providing free office space for startup companies and low-cost housing in the North Quays apartments, still waiting on the full details on the later. Overall, this seems like a very sustainable and socially responsible development.

All of the above is completely separate from Ireland's corporate tax rates, loopholes in tax write-offs and profits moving away from Ireland.

I believe all Waterford people will benefit from this development. The inequities that exist in Ireland will not be solved by this development or anything else we do in Waterford. Instead, Waterford will become more impoverished without it and we will continue to lose generations to bigger cities with the kind of opportunities this development enables.

If not this, and other local developments locally, what do you think we should do get a fairer share of the wealth created?

When it comes to wealth extraction I would be more concerned about online shopping and other activities that see money leave the region and country without providing any jobs etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

North ‘keys’.....:seeing will be believing and by seeing I mean we need to see at least half a dozen tower cranes on the site, Roadstone trucks Q’ing up to get to the site to shoot their load and and a couple of 100 luminous jacket type breakfast roll men showing plenty of builders arse like locusts crawling all around the place

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Dexpat

Asdfgh2020 wrote: »
    North �� ‘s......:seeing will be believing and by seeing I mean we need to see at least half a dozen tower cranes on the site, Roadstone trucks Q’ing up to get to the site to shoot their load and and a couple of 100 luminous jacket type breakfast roll men showing plenty of builders arse like locusts crawling all around the place

Yeah I suppose that's what it comes down to now. I can't fault the developers so far but it's time to 'walk the walk' now and deliver it.

Any chance of changing the thread title to reflect the actual value of the investment? It seems to be well over double the €300m estimate when the project was first mooted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

North ‘keys’.....:seeing will be believing and by seeing I mean we need to see at least half a dozen tower cranes on the site, Roadstone trucks Q’ing up to get to the site to shoot their load and and a couple of 100 luminous jacket type breakfast roll men showing plenty of builders arse like locusts crawling all around the place

Not forgetting the obligatory strike.

vriesmays wrote: »
    Not forgetting the obligatory strike.

Can you elaborate.....are you insinuating that there would be a strike during the construction phase or something......numerous large scale construction projects have been completed locally never heard Any reports of strikes....?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

So our old friend Rob is back with tail cocked again. As intimated by others and as shown by Rob, he is well able to talk the talk but we've yet to see any walking.

A veritable bevvy of builders cleavage must be present locally in the immediate future or it is just more pretty but idle talk.

When was the last strike in Waterford? Better still stick that "fella" on ignore.

• Advertisement

When was the last strike in Waterford? Better still stick that "fella" on ignore.

Any further updates from Mary butler etc Re da ‘moo-la’ for the Saudis......???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Deiseen

Can you elaborate.....are you insinuating that there would be a strike during the construction phase or something......numerous large scale construction projects have been completed locally never heard Any reports of strikes....?

Put him on mute. Please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Deiseen

Any further updates from Mary butler etc Re da ‘moo-la’ for the Saudis......???

Nothing yet. Might get a few hints over today and a much better idea tomorrow.

Rob has said that Mary has put in good work so fair play to her. Credit where credit is due.

I'd say Rob Cass and the council are quietly cheering the news from Pfizer this lunchtime, should their findings be confirmed - 90% success rate for their vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I'd say Rob Cass and the council are quietly cheering the news from Pfizer this lunchtime, should their findings be confirmed - 90% success rate for their vaccine.

I hope it proves out but I would not get overly excited yet .........
    The data presented is not the final analysis. It is based on the first 94 volunteers to test positive for Covid - the precise effectiveness of the vaccine may change when the full results are analysed.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-54873105

So this news is based on 94 out of 43,500 ........ lets hope the other 43,406 give similar results.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Bards

Minister is now not coming to Waterford tomorrow...the wait continues

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

I hope it proves out but I would not get overly excited yet .........

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-54873105

So this news is based on 94 out of 43,500 ........ lets hope the other 43,406 give similar results.

Its the first 94 to test positive, not the first 94 volunteers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Bards wrote: »
    Minister is now not coming to Waterford tomorrow...the wait continues

Cabinet meetings normally take place on Tuesday mornings, and the Sinn Fein motion of no confidence in the Tanaiste will also be debated and voted upon in the Convention Centre tomorrow evening.

and I thought we smelt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

and I thought we smelt.

Yeah and the motion was only brought by SF at fairly short notice as well so the debate and vote was only scheduled this afternoon.

Every Government TD and Minister will be expected to attend that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement