Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€300M Investment into Waterford City

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Almost got sick listening to Deise AM

The amount of self praise and slapping on the back of the politicians was a bit OTT. Swear they single handily responsible for getting the funds

Who did all the work......hardly the council staff....?

ExoPolitic wrote: »
    I notice John Cummins crawled out from under his rock and plastered his name allll over this one...

He referenced a speech he made to his fellow senators last week urging them to support the project.....this may have gotten the funding ‘over the line’ or in waterfords case ‘over the bridge’ :)

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭JimWinters

batman75 wrote: »
    Because of online shopping going to a city to shop will over time dwindle apart from food shopping. I used love going to Dublin to look around Hodges Figgis and Waterstones. With online that experience isn't the same now as virtually anything can be got online.

For this development to work it is going to have to offer an enjoyable day out with nice eateries, leisure options and shops like M & S and H & M etc.

The difference with this development is that Al Hokair already have the franchise for big brands and shops. They won't be looking for the big stores as tenants. Here's a list of brands they hold franchises for and might bring to the new development: https://www.fahretail.com/en-us/Pages/Brands

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Not referencing anyone in particular here, but politicians really are damned if they do and damned if they don't. If nothing happens, they are written off as "useless", and if there's some big announcement, they get accused of bandwagoning.

If your job depends on getting people to vote for you, why wouldn't you shamelessly promote your involvement in good news? Nobody else is going to do it for you, and your competitor sure is going to big himself or herself up.

The truth is probably that an awful lot of words had to be dropped in an awful lot of ears for this to happen, so they should all take the credit.

The seminal event though was when the SDZ was created, and by all accounts it's an ex-politician, Paudie Coffey, who can claim a big share of the credit for that. As I understand it, that's what put Waterford on the radar for this project (there were only two other SDZs at the time, both in Dublin). Rob Cass has heaped credit on Paudie for this too, so kudos to him.

BTW, before ye all pile on, I have no affiliation with any political party or friendship with any politician!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Damo is having a right go at the Housing minister (?) and I'm not sure why other than to catch our attention. Asking about things which are outside the ministers competence and other issues that are by their nature unknown.

and in the blink of an eye he reigns it in, someone must have told him to calm down!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

JimWinters wrote: »
    The difference with this development is that Al Hokair already have the franchise for big brands and shops. They won't be looking for the big stores as tenants. Here's a list of brands they hold franchises for and might bring to the new development: https://www.fahretail.com/en-us/Pages/Brands
    They seem to hold franchises in certain countries. ALDO for example is operated by ALDO in the UK and Ireland rather than franchises. There's certainly no guarantee that brands on that page will become part of this development especially where they are already operating in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

fricatus wrote: »
    Not referencing anyone in particular here, but politicians really are damned if they do and damned if they don't. If nothing happens, they are written off as "useless", and if there's some big announcement, they get accused of bandwagoning.

If your job depends on getting people to vote for you, why wouldn't you shamelessly promote your involvement in good news? Nobody else is going to do it for you, and your competitor sure is going to big himself or herself up.

The truth is probably that an awful lot of words had to be dropped in an awful lot of ears for this to happen, so they should all take the credit.

The seminal event though was when the SDZ was created, and by all accounts it's an ex-politician, Paudie Coffey, who can claim a big share of the credit for that. As I understand it, that's what put Waterford on the radar for this project (there were only two other SDZs at the time, both in Dublin). Rob Cass has heaped credit on Paudie for this too, so kudos to him.

BTW, before ye all pile on, I have no affiliation with any political party or friendship with any politician!

Was listening to the WLR podcast on the north quays announcement yesterday. Paudie Coffey gave a lot of credit to a senior civil servant in the dept of the environment who is from Waterford and did a lot of pushing to make this happen also. Forget his name now. Think everybody saw this and agreed it is an opportunity that cannot be missed. The whole thing is a great lifter of spirts in these glum times we live in.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,521 ✭✭✭cgcsb

All this vaccine talk seems to given new life to developments in Dublin also, lots of developers sitting on planning permissions for months have issued commencement notices, most notably the 22 storey Tara St tower.

BBM77 wrote: »
    Paudie Coffey gave a lot of credit to a senior civil servant in the dept of the environment who is from Waterford and did a lot of pushing to make this happen also. Forget his name now.

Liam Cahill... same name as the hurling manager!

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭invara

Liam Cahill... same name as the hurling manager!

He can found on twitter under the handle @LiamCahill2013 and his blog https://liamcahill.wordpress.com/

• Advertisement

invara wrote: »
    He can found on twitter under the handle @LiamCahill2013 and his blog https://liamcahill.wordpress.com/

A guy with the same name used to run e ‘An fear rua’ gaa web site back in the day.......could this be the same person.......he seemed to have a leaning towards ‘Waterford’........!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

ExoPolitic wrote: »
    I notice John Cummins crawled out from under his rock and plastered his name allll over this one...

He should have resigned back when he was caught out at the golf dinner. But the pension and money in the party is quite decent so he was always going to play the whole "im in it with the people" line. Sickening.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

He should have resigned back when he was caught out at the golf dinner. But the pension and money in the party is quite decent so he was always going to play the whole "im in it with the people" line. Sickening.

He likely sees this as the chance to resurrect his political career. The unpleasant truth is it probably is. Never underestimate the sheer abject stupidity of the general public.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,359 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

He likely sees this as the chance to resurrect his political career. The unpleasant truth is it probably is. Never underestimate the sheer abject stupidity of the general public.

His Dad also have very nice connections too

I wonder if asked would senator Cummins give some details of what he actually did over the past 3/4 years in order to progress the project......??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

Asdfgh2020 wrote: »
    I wonder if asked would senator Cummins give some details of what he actually did over the past 3/4 years in order to progress the project......??

Was thinking the same thing myself. He is claiming credit for everything happening at the minute. Considering he has never even been a TD its a bit hard to take him seriously.

Asdfgh2020 wrote: »

Best of luck with that.Took him about 6 years to answer for Golfgate. If he did do anything, was it legit/above board.

He strikes me as a bit of a "Tim Nice but Dim" character. Keep him talking for too long and he'd be in trouble most likely.

Rob Cass has singled out Paudie Coffey for SDZ designation and John Cummins for helping get the funding over the line. Now many of you are turning on him, "Tim nice but dim", "he should have resigned" etc. If he had of resigned perhaps we would not have the funding for the North Quays.

Long-term he is going to be a strong politician for Waterford and god knows we need one of them! I'm not a Fine Gael fan, I didn't vote for John in the last election and I do think his actions around golf gate were reprehensible. He has been punished by the party, the chap knows he f**ked up and I can't blame him for going into hiding, I'd be mortified too.

The abuse our local politicians get, even when they get €110 million in funding for infrastructure in the city and land almost €750 million investment. No wonder we've had such bad representation over the last few decades if that's the response someone gets when they deliver. There are some seriously ungrateful people on this forum and in Waterford. You'll complain when politicians don't do something and complain when they do. No politician is perfect but at least try to recognise when one does a good thing

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭curmudgeonly

Rob Cass has singled out Paudie Coffey for SDZ designation and John Cummins for helping get the funding over the line. Now many of you are turning on him, "Tim nice but dim", "he should have resigned" etc. If he had of resigned perhaps we would not have the funding for the North Quays.

Long-term he is going to be a strong politician for Waterford and god knows we need one of them! I'm not a Fine Gael fan, I didn't vote for John in the last election and I do think his actions around golf gate were reprehensible. He has been punished by the party, the chap knows he f**ked up and I can't blame him for going into hiding, I'd be mortified too.

The abuse our local politicians get, even when they get €110 million in funding for infrastructure in the city and land almost €750 million investment. No wonder we've had such bad representation over the last few decades if that's the response someone gets when they deliver. There are some seriously ungrateful people on this forum and in Waterford. You'll complain when politicians don't do something and complain when they do. No politician is perfect but at least try to recognise when one does a good thing

+10000000000000000000000000000

• Registered Users Posts: 29,394 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

cummins isnt actually very intelligent, hes well proved himself to be very ignorant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭tbayers

Actually I disagree a bit here. People can do both. I believe both were key in bringing the required funding to Waterford and highlighting its need.

But, we can also say he messed up during golf gate. We can also assume that people simply won't vote for him again because of it. Does one smallish wrong out do major right? Personally I don't think so but this is politics and the bad news is remembered a lot more. The personal abuse is unforgivable though, its as if the people dishing it out have never ever made a mistake at work before. Criticise his actions yes, but not him personally

tbayers wrote: »
    Actually I disagree a bit here. People can do both. I believe both were key in bringing the required funding to Waterford and highlighting its need.

But, we can also say he messed up during golf gate. We can also assume that people simply won't vote for him again because of it. Does one smallish wrong out do major right? Personally I don't think so but this is politics and the bad news is remembered a lot more. The personal abuse is unforgivable though, its as if the people dishing it out have never ever made a mistake at work before. Criticise his actions yes, but not him personally

The main difference being for most of us mere mortals: If we make a "mistake" at work, and in this instance the "mistake" given the nature of the role should represent gross misconduct, we would be summarily fired on the spot , regardless of previous or subsequent performance. The same rules clearly don't apply to all.

And criticising the person? Well what particular skills or qualifications does the charmless Mr Cummins bring to the role beyond the sense of entitlement to hold public office that comes with all our self anointed political dynasty families. This kind of crap should be rooted out everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

The main difference being for most of us mere mortals: If we make a "mistake" at work, and in this instance the "mistake" given the nature of the role should represent gross misconduct, we would be summarily fired on the spot , regardless of previous or subsequent performance. The same rules clearly don't apply to all.

And criticising the person? Well what particular skills or qualifications does the charmless Mr Cummins bring to the role beyond the sense of entitlement to hold public office that comes with all our self anointed political dynasty families. This kind of crap should be rooted out everywhere.

He doesn't bring anything special to politics and you're right. He's only there because his father was a politician. He didn't mind standing behind dear leader when Leo wouldn't believe the reports about the mortuary, he kicked up a fuss during the debates and behaved like a petulant child - Darren Skelton said so himself at the debate in the WIT arena. He would happily **** over the people of Waterford if it meant rubbing shoulders with the big boys.

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    cummins isnt actually very intelligent, hes well proved himself to be very ignorant

Of course I would prefer all our politicians to be like Peter Sutherland, able to discuss the arts and sciences in French and Spanish, and to be able to switch readily from discussing theoretical physics to monetary policy.

In the absence of someone like that, I'm happy to have a plodder who can get a project like NQ over the line. If Rob Cass has singled him out for praise, I feel it's genuine. He's criticised politicians when they deserved it, remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Could you give an example of another profession where an individual would receive summary dismissal for attending an event in your personal time, when the organisers didn't follow the public health guidelines properly?

For the record I think Cummins had displayed naivety and poor judgement, but genuinely interested to see how your suggestion might play out in the real world.

Worth noting that as an elected official he will have 3-4 years in the Seanad to try and rectify his mistakes and then try and secure enough votes from people in Waterford to get into the Dàil, or from around the country for the Seanad. He might even look to get back on the Council.

Worth noting also that he lost the FG whip he is effectively excluded from the party now.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,394 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Of course I would prefer all our politicians to be like Peter Sutherland, able to discuss the arts and sciences in French and Spanish, and to be able to switch readily from discussing theoretical physics to monetary policy.

In the absence of someone like that, I'm happy to have a plodder who can get a project like NQ over the line. If Rob Cass has singled him out for praise, I feel it's genuine. He's criticised politicians when they deserved it, remember.

id rather politicians that actually have an element of intelligence, a willingness to learn, particularly in relation to critical issues such as monetary policy, banking and money creation, and not allow themselves to be bullsh1tted by 'advisors' with pure fcuking nonsense. we have a perfect opportunity once again, to self finance the public infrastructure required for this project, but we ll just default once again, via taxation, and encourage another building boom in the region, largely based via credit created by private sector financial institutions, surely we ll get it right this time!

tbayers wrote: »

I think we’re agreeing on more than we’re disagreeing on :)

For his faults he has delivered for Waterford this week. He has helped convince the government to fund the largest single investment in the South East. As you can see, there’s a vocal majority here that do nothing but criticise him personally and professionally.

Would it hurt you all to say the boy done good this time?! Are you really that bitter that you’ll post personal jibes against a politician who’s actually brought something to Waterford? Can you not take a break from doing it for one day to say he’s done something good?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Bards

I think we’re agreeing on more than we’re disagreeing on :)

For his faults he has delivered for Waterford this week. He has helped convince the government to fund the largest single investment in the South East. As you can see, there’s a vocal majority here that do nothing but criticise him personally and professionally.

Would it hurt you all to say the boy done good this time?! Are you really that bitter that you’ll post personal jibes against a politician who’s actually brought something to Waterford? Can you not take a break from doing it for one day to say he’s done something good?

I think it might have been good that we didn't elect a single FG candidate at the GE.. It proved that we will vote on performance and not what our daddies and mammies voted for... Fail to deliver will result in election failure for TDs

Bards wrote: »
    I think it might have been good that we didn't elect a single FG candidate at the GE.. It proved that we will vote on performance and not what our daddies and mammies voted for... Fail to deliver will result in election failure for TDs

Agreed, and John Deasy’s performance is why I didn’t vote FG. Based your logic JC might deserve a vote now because of his performance on the North Quays & getting govt funding for Waterford...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Bards wrote: »

It also demonstrates a naivety about how politics works. It's a profession, and the new ones coming in take a bit of time to understand how everything works, and to build up relationships with their colleagues.

There is a balance to be struck though, you don't want anyone getting complacent.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement