Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€300M Investment into Waterford City

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

From that article

I am not sure who or what part of the admin is 'management' in this case or who 'the council' refers to. Some decision at a full council meeting?

This is not just an individual making an error.

There very well might be something very wrong here.

Lets assume an error was made and those 63 vans should have been 6 vans.

When the error was discovered it should have been corrected.
    It was not.

In May there was a clear statement the vans were not needed ...... still no action taken.

Depreciation alone must have cost a bundle, plus the cost of storage and maintenance and security.

From where were these 63 vans procured?

This thread is about €300 million investment not the procurement of 63 vans/vehicles.....can people return to the tipic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Deiseen

Road-Hog wrote: »
    From that article

I am not sure who or what part of the admin is 'management' in this case or who 'the council' refers to. Some decision at a full council meeting?

This is not just an individual making an error.

There very well might be something very wrong here.

Lets assume an error was made and those 63 vans should have been 6 vans.

When the error was discovered it should have been corrected.
    It was not.

In May there was a clear statement the vans were not needed ...... still no action taken.

Depreciation alone must have cost a bundle, plus the cost of storage and maintenance and security.

From where were these 63 vans procured?

This thread is about €300 million investment not the procurement of 63 vans/vehicles.....can people return to the tipic

Its important and it looks really bad. The only way it would be good, is if Leo was invovled in the company that the vans were bought from.

I have to say thr council do seem to be on the ball with the quays but this doesnt help.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Deiseen wrote: »
    Its important and it looks really bad. The only way it would be good, is if Leo was invovled in the company that the vans were bought from.

I have to say thr council do seem to be on the ball with the quays but this doesnt help.

The concern is that if things like this do not get acted upon promptly and properly resolved it will be noted by others who might have the power to make things difficult in the future.

Would any of us be willing to give funding to people who cannot seem to manage smaller amounts correctly?

hardybuck wrote: »
    If something over €50,000 for example, a public tender must be advertised as part of a formal tendering process. That'll give you an idea of the amount of procedure that needs to be followed when spending public money, and rightly so.

Someone very senior, most likely the Chief Executive, would need to sign off on payments of that size. It could have been broken up into smaller amounts, but you'd expect anyone in accounts to wonder what that was all about.

Maybe you should look up the 'e-tenders' web site and check if there was a tender advertised for the supply of the 'vans'....or was it as reported an individual thought it was a good idea to blow €1.3million on vehicles that were not needed

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Maybe you should look up the 'e-tenders' web site and check if there was a tender advertised for the supply of the 'vans'....or was it as reported an individual thought it was a good idea to blow €1.3million on vehicles that were not needed

Haha, maybe I should get a career as an investigative journalist while I'm at it.

Again, someone has to sign a contract for the job, and someone has to sign off on the expenditure. If this was one individual I'd be surprised.

• Advertisement

hardybuck wrote: »
    Haha, maybe I should get a career as an investigative journalist while I'm at it.

Again, someone has to sign a contract for the job, and someone has to sign off on the expenditure. If this was one individual I'd be surprised.

A bit of searching on www.etenders.ie will probably reveal at least proof that an actual competition took place.....you would want to be an idiot of the highest calibre to say that the 'vehicles' were not required if a tender for them was advertised......I don't think the skills of an 'investigative journalist' would be challenged too much to check this out ?

Anyway this thread needs to get back to the original topic as I said earlier.has anyone any update on the 'north quays' such as when will public see the master plan etc, what period of time will the 'head bangers'/ non constructive critics/cynics etc be given to make their submissions etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Anyway this thread needs to get back to the original topic as I said earlier.has anyone any update on the 'north quays' such as when will public see the master plan etc, what period of time will the 'head bangers'/ non constructive critics/cynics etc be given to make their submissions etc?

The local papers seem to be the place to get decent info.master plan out in couple weeks I think, said in paper,I don't think there will be much different to what we already have seen/know.I think there will be some time for head bangers to make submissions but I think since its a SDZ, they are limited, thankfully

Does anyone know if that last remaining fairly ugly rectangular building on the north quays site will be staying r going. Noticed. Couple of guys in there the other day when I passed they seemed to be putting up hoarding etc. Will be interesting to see if it becomes part of the new development if it ever happens. More than likely we will be looking at it in five years time?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Does anyone know if that last remaining fairly ugly rectangular building on the north quays site will be staying r going. Noticed. Couple of guys in there the other day when I passed they seemed to be putting up hoarding etc. Will be interesting to see if it becomes part of the new development if it ever happens. More than likely we will be looking at it in five years time?

The big hennebique one, yeah that'll be gone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

Pascal Donohue heading to city on Monday for an announcment apparently. The 60m funding ??

thomasm wrote: »
    Pascal Donohue heading to city on Monday for an announcment apparently. The 60m funding ??

60m but over what time frame?? 10 years??

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mickmackmcgoo

Road-Hog wrote:

No the majority of it needs to be front loaded . Road infrastructure and relocating of the train station would all be done early enough. I just hope the full amount requested is delivered rather than some fudge like 50% of it etc. This investment will be cost beneficial to the exchequer in the long term . Potential of a lot of extra jobs in the city and region. Going forward it's predicted the city needs another 1500 hotel beds to fill extra tourism numbers alone .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭914

Possibly just announcing the new advanced technology building. Don't think a decison on the €60 million will be made till November.

If it was the €60 million I'd say leo himself would be down, one of the biggest investments outside of dublin, he would want his name all over that.

Opportunity for the 'head bangers' to get started...........

http://www.waterfordcouncil.ie/waterfordnorthquayssdz/index.htm

Above link to WCCC home page gives all the details you need to make you submission

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Is Brendan McCann still active?

Is Brendan McCann still active?

I think so but he has gone back to concentrating on his day job........!

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭jimbo1979

Does anyone know what date when we get a yay or nay on this project.fingers crossed it really does happen to bring life back into the city.there is massive development happening in Dublin cork and Limerick.waterford needs to start building again

jimbo1979 wrote: »
    Does anyone know what date when we get a yay or nay on this project.fingers crossed it really does happen to bring life back into the city.there is massive development happening in Dublin cork and Limerick.waterford needs to start building again[/quot

3-4 months depending on the amount of 'head banger' submissions 😀

Does anyone know what date when we get a yay or nay on this project.fingers crossed it really does happen to bring life back into the city.there is massive development happening in Dublin cork and Limerick.waterford needs to start building again[/quot

3-4 months depending on the amount of 'head banger' submissions 😀

Section 6 of the first document outlines a rough timeline of how things might progress. ....

• Advertisement

Section 6 of the first document outlines a rough timeline of how things might progress. ....

Thanks for the info back on this.is it just me or does anyone feel Waterford is the only place outside the other 4 cities where there is little or no developments happening.i know both cork and limerick are booming at the moment and crying out for workers.if this north development doesn't happen Waterford is doomed as a city in Ireland so this really needs to happen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

Thanks for the info back on this.is it just me or does anyone feel Waterford is the only place outside the other 4 cities where there is little or no developments happening.i know both cork and limerick are booming at the moment and crying out for workers.if this north development doesn't happen Waterford is doomed as a city in Ireland so this really needs to happen

Senior council officials have said failure is not an option with the North Wrath development. I think that says it all. The biggest problem is when comparing Waterford to Cork, Limerick and Galway is we just do not have the same level of representation in government. This is constantly tying one hand behind our back. I mean Deasy is a disgrace!

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Waterboy2014

BBM77 wrote: »

Senior council officials have said failure is not an option with the North Wrath development. I think that says it all. The biggest problem is when comparing Waterford to Cork, Limerick and Galway is we just do not have the same level of representation in government. This is constantly tying one hand behind our back. I mean Deasy is a disgrace!

I think biggest indicator of whether this will proceed or not is not related to planning permission but rather whether the council secures the €60mil required to build bridge, build transport hub and complete road improvements. This will be announced in government capital development plans I'm November/December time.

BBM77 wrote: »

Totally agreed,Waterford had a lot going for it 30 years ago,a busy port,good airport,loads of i.d.a investment as the head I.d.a office was in Waterford,factories wanting to allocate here,however a few weak politicians and business people sold out Waterford and it feels we are the only city that is not showing an ounce of recovery compared to dublin,cork and limerick.these 3 cities have their own airports,ports,universities and hospitals with plenty of infrastructure and employment going on.is Waterford ever going to recover?

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Teebor15

I also agree that failure is not an option with the North Quay. If it goes ahead as planned it really will get us back in the game and hopefully along with all the good work the council are doing with the Viking Triangle, The Apple market, Arundle Square, the new culture Quarter, The Greenway, etc it could make us the next "Destination city".

The media love a good destination to fawn about and once it get a bit of momentum suddenly its the only place to go for weekend breaks, business conferences, shopping, tourism. Galway and to a lesser extent Kilkenny have had their day in the sun but I think the country is ripe for a new location and if the above goes ahead I can see it being us.

You can already see what the greenway alone has done for the county. Its being raved about nationally, People I interact with through work who have never been near Waterford are now telling me they have been or are planning a trip down to Waterford. Those who have have visited are telling me they never realised what a nice place it was, the beaches, the coastline, the mountains, and Waterford city itself. So imagine the reaction we might get if we can bring the city to the next level.

If we can bring the North Quays project to fruition, then more and more private investment will follow, the jobs will follow, the population will grow, the hospital will be back where it belongs, a proper hospital for the south East, the Tech uni will follow, the port, the airport, IDA visits, etc. All from a meagre 60 million investment of our tax money, money that Waterford people have already paid into the big pot. A rising tide will lift all boats.

The investment is a no brainer, especially when its required to bring in 300 million of foreign money. This is not money that will be coming into the country either way. This is money that will be spent elsewhere in the world if we don't commit.

If the North Quay development doesn't go ahead then we can wave our peer cities goodbye as they disappear in to the sunset and say hello to the other county towns, like Sligo, Athlone, Navan. Even the likes of Dundalk and Drogheda will smile as they pass us by.

I believe we will get the money and that all the above will happen...failure is NOT an option!

Teebor15 wrote: »
    I also agree that failure is not an option with the North Quay. If it goes ahead as planned it really will get us back in the game and hopefully along with all the good work the council are doing with the Viking Triangle, The Apple market, Arundle Square, the new culture Quarter, The Greenway, etc it could make us the next "Destination city".

The media love a good destination to fawn about and once it get a bit of momentum suddenly its the only place to go for weekend breaks, business conferences, shopping, tourism. Galway and to a lesser extent Kilkenny have had their day in the sun but I think the country is ripe for a new location and if the above goes ahead I can see it being us.

You can already see what the greenway alone has done for the county. Its being raved about nationally, People I interact with through work who have never been near Waterford are now telling me they have been or are planning a trip down to Waterford. Those who have have visited are telling me they never realised what a nice place it was, the beaches, the coastline, the mountains, and Waterford city itself. So imagine the reaction we might get if we can bring the city to the next level.

If we can bring the North Quays project to fruition, then more and more private investment will follow, the jobs will follow, the population will grow, the hospital will be back where it belongs, a proper hospital for the south East, the Tech uni will follow, the port, the airport, IDA visits, etc. All from a meagre 60 million investment of our tax money, money that Waterford people have already paid into the big pot. A rising tide will lift all boats.

The investment is a no brainer, especially when its required to bring in 300 million of foreign money. This is not money that will be coming into the country either way. This is money that will be spent elsewhere in the world if we don't commit.

If the North Quay development doesn't go ahead then we can wave our peer cities goodbye as they disappear in to the sunset and say hello to the other county towns, like Sligo, Athlone, Navan. Even the likes of Dundalk and Drogheda will smile as they pass us by.

I believe we will get the money and that all the above will happen...failure is NOT an option!

From what I have read of the documents available on line there is likely to be fairly tall building, can see The 'head banger brigade' doing their best to put a spanner in the works with regards to this?

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Well those draft documents are all based on the maximum allowable under the sdz criteria so they won’t actually have to go through the same planning process as it would have to if this was a normal development. So my understanding is it would have to be an exceptional reason for something within the sdz guidelines to be stopped, hence this is the main attraction to this particular site.

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Well those draft documents are all based on the maximum allowable under the sdz criteria so they won’t actually have to go through the same planning process as it would have to if this was a normal development. So my understanding is it would have to be an exceptional reason for something within the sdz guidelines to be stopped, hence this is the main attraction to this particular site.

I suppose 'Father Time' will tell....!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭jelutong

Planning permission applied for to demolish R&H Halls. Notice posted on the railings at Dock Road.

• Advertisement

jelutong wrote: »
    Planning permission applied for to demolish R&H Halls. Notice posted on the railings at Dock Road.

Hopefully it comes down as this building is not of any use to anybody or the development that's proposed.this proposal is the make or break of Waterford as a city and to compete with the other cities of Ireland for investment into the future

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement