Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€300M Investment into Waterford City

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Waterboy2014

I think government are to announce Capital Investments on Jan 26th. €62 million required for infrastructure will hopefully be announced at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

iseegirls wrote: »
    Is the redevelopment of Jury's waiting on the verdict of this as well?

No, separate project.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

I think government are to announce Capital Investments on Jan 26th. €62 million required for infrastructure will hopefully be announced at this stage.

http://www.munster-express.ie/front-page-news/top-stories/save-the-hennebique/

But wait! We have PBP screaming to halt the demolition of this fabulous building
    so what monies are there to protect it? Are these people for real???

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Government offices are hardly back open yet are they?

If they are, they won't do anything of note for at least a fortnight apart from asking how all their colleagues Christmas' were.

If it's still radio silence at the end of the month, I'll be a little worried.

Government offices open on Dec 27th. Some people working on Christmas and St Stephen's Day.

hardybuck wrote: »
    Government offices open on Dec 27th. Some people working on Christmas and St Stephen's Day.

I’d really love to know what government offices were open on Christmas and St Stephen's Day?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

http://www.munster-express.ie/front-page-news/top-stories/save-the-hennebique/

But wait! We have PBP screaming to halt the demolition of this fabulous building
    so what monies are there to protect it? Are these people for real???

Here we are making the same mistakes we did in the 1960s...sure that's an old building we no longer need, we better knock it regardless of its history.

This mentality has resulted in the destroying of so many historical buildings in our country.

The building shouldn't be knocked, no more then the crane on the other side should be knocked, they are a link to our historic past and they should remain.

BBM77 wrote: »
    I’d really love to know what government offices were open on Christmas and St Stephen's Day?

While straying off topic slightly, I'll answer you. If you read my post again you'll note that I said that Government Offices would be open on the 27th, but some people would be working on 25th and 26th.

Government Buildings themselves are accessible 24/7. There are Gardai and Military Police on site and who let staff in for the very unsociable hours that some work.

Off the top of my head, the Department of Foreign Affairs would have staff covering for situations where Irish citizens require their assistance overseas.

The Coast Guard come in under the Department of Transport. They were recovering corpses in Mayo on Christmas Day.

The Revenue Commissioners would have staff on for their very broad range of operations, including Customs.

The National Emergency Coordination Center have staff from a lot of different Departments. They would have been in working to plan the response to the various storms we've had.

You'd have guys working in IT trying to watch out for cyber attacks.

Just off the top of my head, I'm sure there are a good few more.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Cabaal wrote: »
    Here we are making the same mistakes we did in the 1960s...sure that's an old building we no longer need, we better knock it regardless of its history.

This mentality has resulted in the destroying of so many historical buildings in our country.

The building shouldn't be knocked, no more then the crane on the other side should be knocked, they are a link to our historic past and they should remain.

Whilst I agree with your point in general, there has to be a happy medium between protecting buildings of the past and progress. This building is not fit for any purpose, is not in anyway aesthetically pleasing, is not ancient and is not being retained as a link to our historic past. It should absolutely be knocked if it is standing in the way of progress.

I’d rather see it restored. But if it makes the north wharf project more viable and likely to happen then it is a sacrifice worth making. It is not City Hall, Bishops Place etc we are talking about here. It is not like when they knocked Bishop Foys School on The Mall or the old jails church and gate. Now they were crimes.

hardybuck wrote: »
    While straying off topic slightly, I'll answer you. If you read my post again you'll note that I said that Government Offices would be open on the 27th, but some people would be working on 25th and 26th.

Government Buildings themselves are accessible 24/7. There are Gardai and Military Police on site and who let staff in for the very unsociable hours that some work.

Off the top of my head, the Department of Foreign Affairs would have staff covering for situations where Irish citizens require their assistance overseas.

The Coast Guard come in under the Department of Transport. They were recovering corpses in Mayo on Christmas Day.

The Revenue Commissioners would have staff on for their very broad range of operations, including Customs.

The National Emergency Coordination Center have staff from a lot of different Departments. They would have been in working to plan the response to the various storms we've had.

You'd have guys working in IT trying to watch out for cyber attacks.

Just off the top of my head, I'm sure there are a good few more.

Fair enough. But none are anything to do with the allocation of infrastructure funds.

• Advertisement

BBM77 wrote: »
    Fair enough. But none are anything to do with the allocation of infrastructure funds.

I gave the response to the initial smart alecky comment. Government Buildings, and DPER in particular, open on Dec 27th.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭PistolsAtDawn

That's your opinion ...

My opinion is to flatten that horrible disgusting structure as soon as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭buzzinfly83

In this weeks news and star Kilkenny are objecting to the North Quays development. Such a bitter bunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

In this weeks news and star Kilkenny are objecting to the North Quays development. Such a bitter bunch.

Wouldn't take any notice of that objection.

I think SDZ project go straight to An Bord Planeala, who almost act like a mediator looking for solutions that a Council might be slow to resolve. Local Councillors are taken out of the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭buzzinfly83

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Wouldn't take any notice of that objection.

They should be glad to have such a development on their doorstep but they would rather live in the stone age.

They should be glad to have such a development on their doorstep but they would rather live in the stone age.

Need to launch another land grab to distract them :p

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

They are only submissions, this development will not require planning as long as it stays inside the agreed framework set out in the SDZ plans. Submissions would have to be of a very serious nature for them to be taken on board.

Oh and Kilkenny Country Council didn’t take a blind bit of notice about Waterford city councils objections when the Ferrybank shopping centre was been approved and built.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭fuzzy dunlop

You see the thing you have to remember is KK want to pretend Ferrybank is a separate town to Waterford. The frightening thing for them is the city is growing Northwards and Sliverue and Milepost are almost absorbed as it is. They can fight the boundary extension but they know themselves that half the population growth in the county is coming from Waterford. They say Ferrybank in their reports but any fool can see through that. They are in a catch 22. A growing population in SKK whether or not they identify as Waterford means a political power shift to the South of the County.

Who cares what they think? We need in Waterford to not care about anywhere else and push these things through no matter how much anybody outside may object. Because quite frankly that is what is being done to us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭jimbo1979

Front page of this week's Munster express.kilkenny seems to have a major problem with the north quays development saying it will effect them massively.boo hoo they had no bother trying to hijack everything away from Waterford the last number of years.Kilkenny has it in for waterford big time.as a region we should be all pulling together to bring benefit to the south east but it seems Kilkenny want it all for themselves.how can a town like Kilkenny always pull against waterford city as the main hub of the south east.disgraceful carry on from them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭jelutong

What exactly have Kilkenny tried to hijack from Waterford over the last number of years ?

jelutong wrote: »
    What exactly have Kilkenny tried to hijack from Waterford over the last number of years ?

WIT’s upgrade to university status for one thing. They had no interest in it until it started to look like it was going to happen. Then the great Phil Hogan and Brenden Howlin got interested and the rest is history.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭914

jelutong wrote: »

Lack of support for WIT to upgrade to full Uni.

The destruction of WRH as KGH shifted to side Dublin hospitals in the hope for St Lukes to advance beyond WRH.

Preventing the independent report in favour of a boundary extension to allow Waterford to develop on the North side.

The building of Ferrybank shopping centre to try and lure brands from Waterford City Centre.

Lack of support for Waterford Airport which would have huge benefits to the region is successful.

The mass objection to the m9 from Waterford Dublin.

Have I missed anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭fargojones123

Why should Kilkenny care about what is happening in another City. Do they make objections to developments in Dublin or Cork as well. Did Waterford make objections when MacDonagh Junction was being developed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭fuzzy dunlop

jimbo1979 wrote: »
    Front page of this week's Munster express.kilkenny seems to have a major problem with the north quays development saying it will effect them massively.boo hoo they had no bother trying to hijack everything away from Waterford the last number of years.Kilkenny has it in for waterford big time.as a region we should be all pulling together to bring benefit to the south east but it seems Kilkenny want it all for themselves.how can a town like Kilkenny always pull against waterford city as the main hub of the south east.disgraceful carry on from them

The funny thing is the double standards are so obvious. They are worried the NQ will negatively affect KK as a shopping destination. Yet they were intentionally trying to do just that with Ferrybank SC.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

The funny thing is the double standards are so obvious. They are worried the NQ will negatively affect KK as a shopping destination. Yet they were intentionally trying to do just that with Ferrybank SC.

The difference being Ferrybank SC would generate rates for Kilkenny C.C. to siphon off and reinvest 30 miles up the road. The North Quays will not.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

I know people are a bit annoyed over objections coming from Kilkenny but does anyone find the News and Star and munster front pages a bit embarrassing this week and a little tabloid like. Cat grab with pictures of a Kilkenny flag and the other saying hands off our history in reference to what was discovered in cork suggesting it is older then previously thought and could be older then Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Deise boii

So Kilkenny fought tooth and nail to keep a part of Ferrybank and now after successfully doing that they are trying to stifle the growth of said Ferrybank.

• Advertisement

kilkenny31 wrote: »
    I know people are a bit annoyed over objections coming from Kilkenny but does anyone find the News and Star and munster front pages a bit embarrassing this week and a little tabloid like. Cat grab with pictures of a Kilkenny flag and the other saying hands off our history in reference to what was discovered in cork suggesting it is older then previously thought and could be older then Waterford.

Kilkenny people or whatever its called had similar type headlines around the boundary report.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement