Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€300M Investment into Waterford City

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Kilkenny people or whatever its called had similar type headlines around the boundary report.
    Which was also embarrassing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Kilkenny should be behind Waterford to get this up and running. Where do they think positions will be filled from - only Waterford?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭fuzzy dunlop

kilkenny31 wrote: »
    Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Kilkenny people or whatever its called had similar type headlines around the boundary report.
    Which was also embarrassing.

That was the point. It is a spin on the land grab nonsense that emanated from the KK people. The Cork one was simply calling that out for what it was BS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭fuzzy dunlop

Kilkenny should be behind Waterford to get this up and running. Where do they think positions will be filled from - only Waterford?

That's the thing. It's proof positive that they don't give a sh1t about South Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

kilkenny31 wrote: »
    I know people are a bit annoyed over objections coming from Kilkenny but does anyone find the News and Star and munster front pages a bit embarrassing this week and a little tabloid like. Cat grab with pictures of a Kilkenny flag and the other saying hands off our history in reference to what was discovered in cork suggesting it is older then previously thought and could be older then Waterford.

A bit silly yeah, what's even more silly/embarrassing though is actual negative submissions from kk chamber and other kk sections highlighted in article.id agree with other poster,re: boundary the rhetoric from kk representatives and media was at best embarrassing, especially since proposals/adjustments for boundary changes are based on common sense, not gaa colours stuff.I do agree, maybe we're a bit sensitive here about certain things, however we have been getting raw end of stick with regards to education, health, jobs, etc for a long time, that is not just a Waterford issue but should concern rest of SE too.last thing you would expect is neighbours trying to torpedo economic development which will benefit every county, you would expect full support on issues like the regional hospital,uni too, unfortunately that has not always been very strong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

914 wrote: »
    Lack of support for WIT to upgrade to full Uni.

The destruction of WRH as KGH shifted to side Dublin hospitals in the hope for St Lukes to advance beyond WRH.

Preventing the independent report in favour of a boundary extension to allow Waterford to develop on the North side.

The building of Ferrybank shopping centre to try and lure brands from Waterford City Centre.

Lack of support for Waterford Airport which would have huge benefits to the region is successful.

The mass objection to the m9 from Waterford Dublin.

Have I missed anything.

Paranoid, rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Chiparus wrote: »
    Paranoid, rubbish.

Think 914 pretty much spot on there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Deiseen

Lack of support for WIT to upgrade to full Uni.

The destruction of WRH as KGH shifted to side Dublin hospitals in the hope for St Lukes to advance beyond WRH.

Preventing the independent report in favour of a boundary extension to allow Waterford to develop on the North side.

The building of Ferrybank shopping centre to try and lure brands from Waterford City Centre.

Lack of support for Waterford Airport which would have huge benefits to the region is successful.

The mass objection to the m9 from Waterford Dublin.

Have I missed anything.

Paranoid, rubbish.

He is dead right, saying otherwise is ignoring the obvious.

Deiseen wrote: »

What?
    Kilkenny developed a shopping centre on the outskirts of waterford, to try to lure brands away from waterford in some sort of subterfuge ?

This is staight out of Halls Pictorial weekly.

Max Powers wrote: »
    Think 914 pretty much spot on there

Are you saying that Kilkenny people did not support the airport because it was in Waterford?

Dublin Airport is 1 hr 20 mins from Kilkenny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

just to clarify... the development is it mainly retail? i know a few offices.. any idea how big shopping mall they want to build in ferry bank...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭jelutong

If the North Wharf project falls through it will be Kilkennys fault I suppose?
    The preferred location for the airport was in South Kilkenny by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭914

jelutong wrote: »

No it won't be Kilkenny's fault if it falls through it would be once again be a government failing to invest in the South East.

Although it isn't fully helpfull if kk cc or kk chamber are not fully in favour of the project.

The region needs Waterford to be the economic driver. A strong Waterford benefits the region.

As for the airport, south Kilkenny is completely the wrong place for it as the area is further above sea level and would more at risk to fog than its current location. Sure Dublin airport should have been built in Athlone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

jelutong wrote: »

It's always someone else's fault down there when things go wrong!
    I was listening to it for years!!! Small town mentality!

However in saying that I knew a guy from south Kilkenny who was adamant
    that his land wouldn't be used for a motorway into Waterford and he
    worked in Waterford all his life!
    He now unfortunately is pushing up daisies and we have a motorway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭PeterCasey

Is there not three counties the m9 goes through.

What?
    Kilkenny developed a shopping centre on the outskirts of waterford, to try to lure brands away from waterford in some sort of subterfuge ?

This is staight out of Halls Pictorial weekly.

Theres a very detailed article written a year or two ago about the dirty tricks that were pulled by KK CC to get the Ferrybank shopping centre approved after it was initially refused planning permission.

Find it, read it and come back to me.

Theres a very detailed article written a year or two ago about the dirty tricks that were pulled by KK CC to get the Ferrybank shopping centre approved after it was initially refused planning permission.

I think It was done to get development levies, nothing to do with trying to attract "brands" away from Waterford.

Could you link the article?

Spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

A shop owner in Kilkenny told me that they had the worst December trading in 5 years. They are holding back rates until the council take some sort of action. Shops are talking about leaving the shopping centre at the train station, all lost money last year. I would say KK council are clutching at straws now by objecting to the north quays.

You see the thing you have to remember is KK want to pretend Ferrybank is a separate town to Waterford. The frightening thing for them is the city is growing Northwards and Sliverue and Milepost are almost absorbed as it is. They can fight the boundary extension but they know themselves that half the population growth in the county is coming from Waterford. They say Ferrybank in their reports but any fool can see through that. They are in a catch 22. A growing population in SKK whether or not they identify as Waterford means a political power shift to the South of the County.

All about the property tax- Ferrybank is a cash cow thats why they dont want to let it go.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

All about the property tax- Ferrybank is a cash cow thats why they dont want to let it go.

To be fair, if it was the other way around Waterford would be the exactly same, they wouldn't want to give up income from an area like that

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Waterboy2014

Cabaal wrote: »
    To be fair, if it was the other way around Waterford would be the exactly same, they wouldn't want to give up income from an area like that

Well actually Waterford has come to this exact arrangement with Co Tipperary about a part of Carrick-on-suit that is in the County of Waterford. So they wouldn't do the same thing. Kilkenny made it sound like some form of land invasion and ranted about GAA etc. Was absolute rubbish as it would have only changed the administrative boundary and not the actual county boundary. KK CC have done nothing for Ferrybank!!!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Well actually Waterford has come to this exact arrangement with Co Tipperary about a part of Carrick-on-suit that is in the County of Waterford. So they wouldn't do the same thing. Kilkenny made it sound like some form of land invasion and ranted about GAA etc. Was absolute rubbish as it would have only changed the administrative boundary and not the actual county boundary. KK CC have done nothing for Ferrybank!!!

Is it like with like though to be fair?

Carrick-on-suir isn't exactly the same as Ferrybank

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

PeterCasey wrote: »
    Is there not three counties the m9 goes through.

Well this little piece of the motorway is just over the river and to your left
    as if you were facing due north!

A shop owner in Kilkenny told me that they had the worst December trading in 5 years. They are holding back rates until the council take some sort of action. Shops are talking about leaving the shopping centre at the train station, all lost money last year. I would say KK council are clutching at straws now by objecting to the north quays.

Cannot be true surely?

I think It was done to get development levies, nothing to do with trying to attract "brands" away from Waterford.

Could you link the article?

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.waterfordboundaryreview.ie/submissions/online/Stephanie%20Taheny.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjr4O7OqfrYAhUEJVAKHZCuAPMQFjAAegQIDBAB&usg=AOvVaw1BEm5E4W3_NOcCD7sYKcyi

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭914

Cannot be true surely?

I wouldn't think so. Kilkenny has a good showing in both tourism and retail so I couldn't imagine this is true.

I also don't think the North Quays will have a huge impact on Kilkenny. The region has under performed massively in retail and tourism compared to other regions and the NQ's will help to strenght and develop the region as a whole.

Wonder will we see many objections to Carlow???

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/retail-and-services/penneys-to-anchor-new-70m-shopping-centre-in-carlow-1.2952475?mode=amp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭PeterCasey

Well this little piece of the motorway is just over the river and to your left
    as if you were facing due north!

That's how far ye can see down there over the river no further.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

Kilkenny has a good showing in both tourism and retail so I couldn't imagine this is true.

Do you work in retail?

I'll give another example. I work close with a Carlow company that has outlets all over the southeast. They expanded the KK shop a few years ago, last week they reduced it again. Moved two staff to Waterford and one to Carlow.

I know a guy who shut a shop on Rose inn street in 2016. Shop is empty with zero interested shown since then.

Retail in Kilkenny is on the down big time. Tourism/pub trade is on the up.

• Advertisement

Again this is not subterfuge to attract "brands" away from Waterford, this is a council seeing the opportunity to make millions in development levies ( and to hell with the consequences.)

Waterford Council in its previous incarnation did the exact same.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement