Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€300M Investment into Waterford City

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭iseegirls

I walked through the city on Saturday and along the Quays and it was a poor reflection on the city. There were so many places that were closed down or just derelict and some just not open

What's the opposite of having rose tinted glasses?
    I walked from Reginald's Tower to the Clock Tower and counted 4 empty shops, 3 of them you could barely swing a cat. Amongst those there are wonderful restaurants like McLearys and La Fontana, great local cafes like Larder and Berfranks, heritage pub with Jordan's, the tourist office, small and well known clothes and boutique shops, fieldmaster, Kelly's and more. But I know you'd rather focus on the one idle shop that measures 10 inches width because your persona on here is to focus on the negatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

iseegirls wrote: »
    What's the opposite of having rose tinted glasses?
    I walked from Reginald's Tower to the Clock Tower and counted 4 empty shops, 3 of them you could barely swing a cat. Amongst those there are wonderful restaurants like McLearys and La Fontana, great local cafes like Larder and Berfranks, heritage pub with Jordan's, the tourist office, small and well known clothes and boutique shops, fieldmaster, Kelly's and more. But I know you'd rather focus on the one idle shop that measures 10 inches width because your persona on here is to focus on the negatives.

I doubt if there is an urban area in the country much different than Waterford with regard to vacant/empty/derelict units.....

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭spaceCreated

heyyyyyy wanna go to Dundrum/Dublin and wait for 2 hours in traffic for Christmas shopping or 10 minutes in Waterford, I wonder where everyone in the south east will go?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

Max Powers wrote: »
    There is so much wrong, so simplified, so uninformed with quiet fellas demolish it proposal that i find it hard to believe it comes from an adult. What we have seen time and time again in his posts are this ridiculous demolish it nonsense, nothing on the complexities of doing that, nothing on where funds come from and little rational thought in what to replace it with,I believe his previous proposal was demolish all of O'Connell street area, replace with red brick Georgian style houses, pure illogical fantasy stuff.time and time again, his postings have been hyper critical, with little basis, on things happening locally, eg Apple market etc, now a resounding success. at one stage he was saying the city is dirty/littered, yet we are cleanest city in Ireland for 2 years.his thought that we should build a road bridge at tower hotel before a pedestrian one further indicates his complete lack of awareness in what Waterford needs.

Wat%20Image_zpsxh1g1phj.jpg

A beautiful city indeed Max!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

^^ Ah here, I'm not blind to Waterford's flaws, but you could take a picture of an alley full of rubbish in Salzburg or Siena and use it to support your view that either is a dirty, ugly city.

Don't mean to be funny, but your post is literally a load of rubbish!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

Wat%20Image_zpsxh1g1phj.jpg

A beautiful city indeed Max!

This post is utterly pathetic. I know exactly were this is. It is a private apartment block on Thomas St. You stood on the street and took a picture in the gate. The rubbish probably just had not been collected yet that week. To get there you would have to walk along streets with little or no rubbish, a lot of them have been power washed recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭azimuth17

As only a very occasional poster I must say it is amazing to see how many people want to suggest that Waterford city could not should not cannot have any retail improvement. In all honesty I wonder are these Waterford people? We all know the place has faults but it is coming back together and has 90,000 people within its immediate catchment. This population deserves a sensible retail offering in comparison goods to match the offer in convenience and other retailing such as car sales, white goods etc.. Conventional wisdom on this thread is that that is not available. €70 million in comparison spend leaking from the area every year demonstrates the need. Michael Street was designed to capture that leakage but was not ready. Ferrybank tried (illegally ) to do so by breaching the Retail Planning Guidelines. Mischievous people here suggesting that if proper comparison retailing becomes available here that it will not work. That is laughable IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭fargojones123

heyyyyyy wanna go to Dundrum/Dublin and wait for 2 hours in traffic for Christmas shopping or 10 minutes in Waterford, I wonder where everyone in the south east will go?

Depends on what shops we get

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

I dont know why people are still replying to the quite fella he comes on here every week posting the same crap just looking for a reaction and he gets it,lads just ignore him and he will eventually go away..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭fuzzy dunlop

I dont know why people are still replying to the quite fella he comes on here every week posting the same crap just looking for a reaction and he gets it,lads just ignore him and he will eventually go away..
    Thank you...He is clueless and contradicts himself half the time. The ultimate Culchie who moves to Dublin and goes on like nobody else has been or lived there:) I was back in Ireland twice in the last  few weeks and had the fortune or misfortune of having to spend a couple of days in Dublin. An hour plus on a bus from the airport to O'Çonnell Street.  Every Red Line Luas Stop in town has security dressed like Russian Spetznaz! Stayed with a friend in Drimnagh! As well as the joy of seeing teenagers riding down the street bareback on a pieball horses the journey back to town on the Red Luas involved witnessing a dozen guaranteed Irish junkies shouting and screaming abuse at each other and at foreigners who actually work for a living. The money that pours into Dublin continuoulsy has seemingly done nothing to alleviate the same problems it has always had.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭spaceCreated

Depends on what shops we get

True, however I do get the impression that the retail giants planning to setup here come with a lot of big brand names as standard

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Update from John Cummins:
    Historic meeting of Waterford Council tonight.. I was delighted to propose the adoption of the North Quays SDZ Planning Scheme which was passed unanimously by council with some minor amendments! As Mayor I had the honour of launching the SDZ with Minister Paudie Coffey & it is this designation & Scheme that has us on the brink of half a billion euro worth of investment in our city across 2 sites!

I sincerely hope that the scheme will not be appealed to An Bord Pleanala over the next 4 weeks, I think it would send a very strong message that Waterford is open for business if it wasn’t!

The planning scheme can be appealed to Bord Pleanala but not actual plans. Will Killkenny have one last throw of the dice??

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mickmackmcgoo

An unnamed FG councillor confirmed at the council meeting today that the government will fund the 70 million investment required and will be announced officially in 2 weeks.
    As for the 4 week period for appeals to An Bord Pleanala, there will be objections a plenty

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

An unnamed FG councillor confirmed at the council meeting today that the government will fund the 70 million investment required and will be announced officially in 2 weeks.
    As for the 4 week period for appeals to An Bord Pleanala, there will be objections a plenty

Agreed, it is bound to be appealed. There is always some crank or sectional interest that would like to stop things like this. Like the person who objected to the Michael St shopping centre saying that there should not be shops in the city centre!

As the Michael St shopping centre is clear of planning now hopefully they can start this while the appeals are overcome.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mickmackmcgoo

BBM77 wrote:
    Agreed, it is bound to be appealed. There is always some crank or sectional interest that would like to stop things like this. Like the person who objected to the Michael St shopping centre saying that there should not be shops in the city centre!

For sure he would like to see the north quays left derelict. His objections to Michael street were ridiculous . There will be objections from a few in ferrybank too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Feck the begrudgers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

BBM77 wrote: »

As the Michael St shopping centre is clear of planning now hopefully they can start this while the appeals are overcome.

Is this development not protected to an extent from prolonged objections by the SDZ status. I thought that was one if the main benefits of SDZ

thomasm wrote: »

Is this development not protected to an extent from prolonged objections by the SDZ status. I thought that was one if the main benefits of SDZ

After this no more appeals allowed.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »

I am confused by this too. What appeals are allowed after ABP?

The planning scheme can be appealed now once that process is finished no other appeals can be made to planning applications within the project plans once they are in the not in breach of conditions of the overall scheme.

• Advertisement

The planning scheme can be appealed now once that process is finished no other appeals can be made to planning applications within the project plans once they are in the not in breach of conditions of the overall scheme.

Ok got it! Its encapsulated. Still depressing though considereing what Michael St. went through.

Ok got it! Its encapsulated. Still depressing though considereing what Michael St. went through.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

Just reading this article from the Kilkenny people https://www.kilkennypeople.ie/news/home/295837/waterford-north-quays-plan-has-potential-to-be-positive-for-region-with-cooperation.html

It makes some valid points. Many from here have been getting upset about Kilkenny having a say on whats going on in Waterford but the point made by Kilkenny chamber of commerce is that if Waterford is to be the gateway city for the south east then interests of the other counties in the south east should be listened too. I think people need to decide they are either for Waterford being the gateway city for the south east, with that comes the prospect of other counties in the region having a say or Waterford drops the aim of being a gateway city and goes it alone and competes with other towns in the region.

The Waterford media have made a big deal out of this to sell a few papers. The way i look on it is if Waterford wants to be the gateway city then they are going to have to listen to the interests of the whole south east region.

and yes Kilkenny Co Council approved Ferrybank SC and yes it was a bad decision. I dont think it was a concerted effort to lure shops away from Waterford. I think it was another bad boom time desicion along with all the out of town retail parks Waterford City Council allowed go ahead.

All of your conclusions are incredible distortions of reality! And that is no surprise really. The Kilkenny support for the gateway status is pure lip service and always will be. The Gateway status is not predicated on other counties "having a say", nor should it be. It just needs enforcable planning guidelines.It would be the death of it as the Kk in particular would do there best to undermine it.

Ferrybank is a suburb of Waterford and KK are nor able to deal with this fact. So they insist on calling it a separate town. In their sick world view Ferrybank supports the Waterford's economy rather than the reality of it being 100% dependent on Waterford economically. In KK newspeak the "tail wags the dog". And Ferrybank SC specifically was built to block retailera going to Waterford. All of this is plain to see in the LAP for the area. Giving KK a say in anything in Waterford is pure lunacy! It would be akin to giving an active Junkie work experience in a pharmacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭jelutong

I can't recall anyone from Waterford objecting to the sewage treatment plant being located in Kilkenny. I wonder why?

jelutong wrote: »
    I can't recall anyone from Waterford objecting to the sewage treatment plant being located in Kilkenny. I wonder why?

Because that was the best place for it. In suburban Waterford where the future capacity is needed. KK is not a sovereign country. It is an administration that by accident administers Waterfords northern suburban area. Its about time they did it properly and not going on like the County Council and County Board are one and the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Did u ever read anything as ridiculous as kk31s supposed reasoning, the kk chamber and councils nay sayers is beyond pathetic and beyond justifiable, it's equivalent of Waterford chamber objecting to dundrum shopping centre, mahon, mcdonagh centre or another centre about an hour away.it shows an attitude of 'try to trip up your neighbour'. KK has never bought into region and regional issues, see lack of support on regional things like infrastructure, hospital, uni, etc.There has been some coming together in recent years on some things like cardiac care but a lot of other stuff, very quiet or downright hostile.kk31 trying to say that the local papers are to blame then is incredulous,I mean, there would be no paper story if there wasn't objections from kk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Deiseen

kilkenny31 wrote: »
    Just reading this article from the Kilkenny people https://www.kilkennypeople.ie/news/home/295837/waterford-north-quays-plan-has-potential-to-be-positive-for-region-with-cooperation.html

It makes some valid points. Many from here have been getting upset about Kilkenny having a say on whats going on in Waterford but the point made by Kilkenny chamber of commerce is that if Waterford is to be the gateway city for the south east then interests of the other counties in the south east should be listened too. I think people need to decide they are either for Waterford being the gateway city for the south east, with that comes the prospect of other counties in the region having a say or Waterford drops the aim of being a gateway city and goes it alone and competes with other towns in the region.

The Waterford media have made a big deal out of this to sell a few papers. The way i look on it is if Waterford wants to be the gateway city then they are going to have to listen to the interests of the whole south east region.

and yes Kilkenny Co Council approved Ferrybank SC and yes it was a bad decision. I dont think it was a concerted effort to lure shops away from Waterford. I think it was another bad boom time desicion along with all the out of town retail parks Waterford City Council allowed go ahead.

I agree that there should be more cohesion in the region between all the counties but its quiet obvious that the other counties (particularly Kilkenny) refuse to buy into Waterfords status.

We literally have guys on here from Kilkenny all the time (road high being main culprit) trying to convince us that Waterford is too big for its boots and that everyone in the south east should just commute to Dublin for work. He was even on the Carlow board trying to convince everyone that WIT should never be allowed become a Uni. There's a phrase for that attitude and its called cutting your nose off to spite your face. This is why we don't have a top class hospital, a university and an unemployment issue in the south east because he is not alone with this attitude. People in Waterford can be guilty of this too but its more organised and militant in Kilkenny.

This is why the whole region has suffered.

I would never begrudge Kilkenny getting anything but it seems many in Kilkenny are very begrudging of the little piece of the pie that Waterford/South east receives.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Deiseen wrote: »
    I agree that there should be more cohesion in the region between all the counties but its quiet obvious that the other counties (particularly Kilkenny) refuse to buy into Waterfords status.

We literally have guys on here from Kilkenny all the time (road high being main culprit) trying to convince us that Waterford is too big for its boots and that everyone in the south east should just commute to Dublin for work. He was even on the Carlow board trying to convince everyone that WIT should never be allowed become a Uni. There's a phrase for that attitude and its called cutting your nose off to spite your face. This is why we don't have a top class hospital, a university and an unemployment issue in the south east because he is not alone with this attitude. People in Waterford can be guilty of this too but its more organised and militant in Kilkenny.

I would never begrudge Kilkenny getting anything but it seems many in Kilkenny are very begrudging of the little piece of the pie that Waterford/South east receives.

Oh go way would ya. Like I keep saying, posters are absolutely obsessed with kilkenny and assuming dominance over the rest of the SE. This is why this so called SE region is an utter farce, people like you and your incessant BS forcing us into something we aren't interested in and has never worked.
    I never said everyone "should commute to Dublin". I'm just realistic enough in a very small country to realize that a place like Kilkenny needs to hitch itself to the capital city which is the driver the Irish economy and where all the jobs and investment follow. Not glorified county towns that happen to be closer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Deiseen

road_high wrote: »
    Deiseen wrote: »

Oh go way would ya. Like I keep saying, posters are absolutely obsessed with kilkenny and assuming dominance over the rest of the SE. This is why this so called SE region is an utter farce, people like you and your incessant BS forcing us into something we aren't interested in and has never worked.
    I never said everyone "should commute to Dublin". I'm just realistic enough in a very small country to realize that a place like Kilkenny needs to hitch itself to the capital city which is the driver the Irish economy and where all the jobs and investment follow. Not glorified county towns that happen to be closer.

Thanks ever so much for coming on here and proving my point!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement