Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€300M Investment into Waterford City

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭space2ground1

Cheers Rob! Appreciate your reply. Agree that parts of it are astounding but not overly surprising. Delighted to hear about the work Paudie has done.

My point about the cathlab was that I don’t think the government is short the €4million for the cathlab and that I’m questioning whether the reasons not to put it in are based on govt finances at all. If they have €60+ million for the North Quays, I’m wondering out loud what’s stopping the cathlab. That’s off topic I know but just to explain where I was coming from.

I too would love to have an outline of the timeline for the North Quays so that we can all have a reasonable expectation of the progress. Thanks again!!

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Waterboy2014

I know I'm going back to Cath Lab discussion but I'm confused why everyone is confused about why government haven't delivered it. My understanding is that it has nothing to do with money but rather the government believe they are making an evidence based decision on the provision of service, based on the Herity Report. I know this report is deeply flawed in how it calculated population and regional need but that's the crux of it in my opinion. Government believe they are sticking to evidence and are not caving into local pressures. Actually, the principle is quite good in my opinion - every town can't have top notch health services so they're has to be evidence backing policy. However, big problem is that the "evidence" they using (ie the Herity Report) isn't factual.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Perhaps I am asking a question which has already been asked and which i missed the answer so apologises if that is the case.

How does anyone know if "rob" is who he says he is? Has it been verified or whats the story?

No offence meant for rob im just curious is all as i could come on here and say anything i want about the north quays and people could believe me. To be fair alot of it is still in the dark for the general public so some people would believe anything they hear.

If there is proof that he is in the know id love to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭fuzzy dunlop

alta stare wrote: »
    Perhaps I am asking a question which has already been asked and which i missed the answer so apologises if that is the case.

How does anyone know if "rob" is who he says he is? Has it been verified or whats the story?

No offence meant for rob im just curious is all as i could come on here and say anything i want about the north quays and people could believe me. To be fair alot of it is still in the dark for the general public so some people would believe anything they hear.

I am curious as to why yiu think it is important.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I can confirm that Rob is 100% who he says he is. My brother knows him well and has confirmed that he set up this boards acc to give actual factual updates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Deiseen

Aquos76 wrote: »

I can confirm that Rob is 100% who he says he is. My brother knows him well and has confirmed that he set up this boards acc to give actual factual updates.

How do we know your brother is who he says he is!

:D Because i like to ask questions about stuff im unsure of is that ok with you? For all we know he could be any joe soap having a good ol laugh filling us up with ****e. If the man is legit then happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭914

Deiseen wrote: »
    How do we know your brother is who he says he is!

I can also confirm Rob is highly involved in the North Quays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Completely fascinating insight in to our TD's who are being paid over 80k a year to represent our interests (cos we all know how the system works!) and do the best for the overall well being of the State.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Due to the detail provided I did not question the validity of the posts.

I too think it is important to know the source is genuine.

Do you not think so?

Do you believe everything you read on d'internet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I know I'm going back to Cath Lab discussion but I'm confused why everyone is confused about why government haven't delivered it. My understanding is that it has nothing to do with money but rather the government believe they are making an evidence based decision on the provision of service, based on the Herity Report. I know this report is deeply flawed in how it calculated population and regional need but that's the crux of it in my opinion. Government believe they are sticking to evidence and are not caving into local pressures. Actually, the principle is quite good in my opinion - every town can't have top notch health services so they're has to be evidence backing policy. However, big problem is that the "evidence" they using (ie the Herity Report) isn't factual.

Regional City.
    Regional Gateway.
    University Hospital.

It was deemed necessary to put the regional hospital in Waterford .... but it is not necessary to provide the full range of services for the region?

The Herity report was/is a scam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Not saying he isnt who he says he is as i believe he is 100% genuine,but he set up his account nearly 2 years ago so i doubt he set it up to post specifically in this thread :)

Due to the detail provided I did not question the validity of the posts.

I too think it is important to know the source is genuine.

Do you not think so?

Do you believe everything you read on d'internet?

Exactly. Things can get so muddled and false on the internet these days so having a verified source is always important.

Not saying he isnt who he says he is as i believe he is 100% genuine,but he set up his account nearly 2 years ago so i doubt he set it up to post specifically in this thread :)

Maybe this deal was going to be announced earlier than turned out to be the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Maybe this deal was going to be announced earlier than turned out to be the case.

I can vouch for ‘rob’ also and his involvement in the project.......good friend of mine had been working on the project (not locally - Dublin based) for last year or so.

He (rob) has also Expressed very positive sentiments about our local council which again is contrary to what the majority out there think...does this question his genuineness...?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 DubToDeise

Road-Hog wrote: »
    He (rob) has also Expressed very positive sentiments about our local council which again is contrary to what the majority out there think...does this question his genuineness...?

I think there's a few councillors who genuinely want the best for our city.

Long time lurker here.

I've seen Rob post on Facebook posts about developments for a while and thought "Is this guy for real?" He's so passionate about it. When I saw him post on here, I asked a friend of mine who's a councillor that exact question and he confirmed that he is. He's posts on here have been informative and lacking bull**** which is great to see.

I have had a thought that I've not seen discussed. What happens to the old bus station when it moves to the Transport Hub? Would be good to see it as a "fairgrounds" type site for temporary attractions - the ice rink, the carnival, stalls for Harvest Festival, circuses. Just an idea but having something like that (obviously well landscaped and left looking well when not in use) could really add to tourist offering.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Deiseen

DubToDeise wrote: »
    Road-Hog wrote: »

I think there's a few councillors who genuinely want the best for our city.

Long time lurker here.

I've seen Rob post on posts about developments for a while and thought "Is this guy for real?" He's so passionate about it. When I saw him post on here, I asked a friend of mine who's a councillor that exact question and he confirmed that he is. He's posts on here have been informative and lacking bull**** which is great to see.

I have had a thought that I've not seen discussed. What happens to the old bus station when it moves to the Transport Hub? Would be good to see it as a "fairgrounds" type site for temporary attractions - the ice rink, the carnival, stalls for Harvest Festival, circuses. Just an idea but having something like that (obviously well landscaped and left looking well when not in use) could really add to tourist offering.

I'm sure Rob has this covered too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Teebor15

Robs great. I Love Rob! ðŸ˜

From reading the SDZ planning framework and the Integrated Transport Plan I don't think the bus station is actually moving to NQ. There'll be a bus stop over there but my understanding is that bus station will remain put. Pedestrian bridge will create strong link between bus and new train station.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 DubToDeise

Some of the renders show what looks like stands for a bus station outside the transport hub

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭robcass78

Teebor15 wrote: »
    Robs great. I Love Rob! ðŸ˜

Wife and kids might have a problem with that...

Transport interchange (bus/train/greenway) will be the first of it's kind in Ireland when it interlinks with the "Mercato" (food hall concept; look at Time Out Lisbon) is a superb way to put the best of good food, drink out there.

https://www.timeout.com/lisbon

That then opens up the opportunity to have monthly markets and festivals alongside the existing experiences, as the 1m visitors, or about 40-50k a week April - September, is the size of the current city (people) and that money is "new money" as they don't shop or visit here at the moment.

The 800 folk in the offices then can keep a regular flow at lunchtime; tech folk don't stay at their desks much.

Such a transport interchange, which doesn't exist in Ireland but look at Kings Cross as a good example of great integrated amongst all walks of life, allows the great food & drink brands that are up & coming to a huge audience; 5-10 times the current footfall. Then in finer weather, there is open space for vans for food.

On the South Quays; that has similar make-over plans. Looks great. Can't have one side of the Quays looking superb and the other looking like a carpark.

Forum not for South Quays.

On timescales:

-CP's completed end of July for CIE detailed designs/Fiskars design & contracts/Govt funding
    -Detailed designs completed end of December
    -Construction contracts award-Feb
    -Construction begins - April
    -Construction completes April 2021
    -Handover & opening of retail, offices & visitor experience centre-June 2021

-Infrastructure tenders & build (i.e. the roads expansion, bridge and new train station) can start in parallel once govt announces funding.

Michael St

-Start build-Aug 18
    -Finish build-Aug 19
    -60 day handover/snag complete-Nov 19
    -Doors open-Dec 19 (trade for Christmas)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Between the timelines and the lack of engagement from certain ministers you’ve just provided next weeks “exclusive” headlines for the Munster express & news and star!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

robcass78 wrote: »
    Michael St

-Start build-Aug 18
    -Finish build-Aug 19

I had assumed this was on the long finger! How realistic is this timeline? I'm sure you're familiar with whatever hurdles are yet to be jumped!

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

914 wrote: »
    I can also confirm Rob is highly involved in the North Quays.

Just to reiterate what's already been said, I've been in contact with Rob myself and am happy that he is the genuine article. It's fascinating to get an inside look at what's happening even for a non-native of Waterford, so thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Irishlad2014

-CP's completed end of July for CIE detailed designs/Fiskars design & contracts/Govt funding
    So Waterford Crystal is moving to NQs?

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭fargojones123

robcass78 wrote: »

Michael St

-Start build-Aug 18
    -Finish build-Aug 19

Surprised that Michael street is still happening giving the lack of recent news on it.

Thanks for the update Rob. Exciting times ahead.

Re Waterford Crystal, I've heard that they were moving but never any ofofficial announcements. But if Fiskars are working on designs that sounds v promising. There is so much potential for this to be a class tourist experience.

Re train station marked on renders, I don't think any of the designs shown to date are actually accurate depictions of the plan. As far as I know, images haven't been released yet. Also, my understanding is that there will be a bus stop but not an actual bus station.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Gardner

Rob

Can you confirm that John Halligan has done nothing on this? pure wink and nod stuff and smile for the cameras?

Surprised that Michael street is still happening giving the lack of recent news on it.

Its part of the Saudi scheme as discussed a few pages back, PP granted last spring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Gardner wrote: »
    Rob

Can you confirm that John Halligan has done nothing on this? pure wink and nod stuff and smile for the cameras?

Have a read of his posts as opposed to stirring the pot.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement