Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€300M Investment into Waterford City

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

BBM77 wrote: »
    You are correct it is understandable people are annoyed. The petrol station fella is getting the market value of the site plus some. If people were not getting a fair price for CPO’d property, then the whole CPO system nationally would fall apart. I think it is fair to say that he is chancing his arm to get more money. Also, the fella objecting because of cruise liners is talking nonsense. I don’t know what his motivation for objecting is. Frankly I think they are both looking to be paid off to solve the problem.

Regardless motivation, if the appeal has merit then it will be considered, as it should be.
    If not it will be dismissed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 southbound

Is democracy the tyranny of the few?

Heard John Cummins on WLR commenting derisively about the objectors. He's an example of nepotism at work. I know the best and brightest don't necessarily go into politics but surely he can invest in his education and communication skills.

People are desperate for development this development to go ahead because our politicians and council are failing to improve the city. Just remember pretty much the same (uninformed and unqualified) people who signed off on the previous National Development Plan are driving the 2040 Development Plan. For that reason alone we should welcome objections instead of blindly selling out to foreign investors or any other plan presented as 'the answer' to economic and social improvement in Waterford.

The 2040 plan aims to increase footfall in Waterford and the population. Quality of footfall is a key consideration for the local economy.

Know its a different issue but we also need to sort out ghettos in the town and maximise the existing potential before getting carried away about extending boundaries into Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Waterboy2014

Can I make a suggestion... can people who are against the SDZ development go set up a second group that discusses the possible pitfalls of the development. All those people interested in looking at this can post on this thread.

Would it be possible to use this thread to discuss updates, etc. on the SDZ application and the building work (hopefully in time). I'm not saying it has to be all positive, but I'm getting very frustrated listening to people who actually believe that this development won't be significantly progress Waterford. Are we not past that point already???

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭IanVW

Looking on an bord pleanalas website the update list shows only 1 valid objection and 2 invalids

IanVW wrote: »
    Looking on an bord pleanalas website the update list shows only 1 valid objection and 2 invalids

Where do you see this info on ABPs website? I can't find it. That might be a minor consolation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Where do you see this info on ABPs website? I can't find it. That might be a minor consolation

I assume it's what's on page 10 of this
    http://www.pleanala.ie/lists/2018/new/New%20Cases%20Week%20Ended%2009-03-2018.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

JohnC. wrote: »

Looks more like 3 valid to me....add..Sorry yeah I see the invalid written there now...my bad.
    At this stage,I wouldn't trust BPs document

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I wouldn't take that as gospel lads, when I spoke to ABP on Monday, they were adamant that Pat Moran and Eddie Lynch had submitted valid objections, there was an issue surrounding the third one at that stage and they were not in a position to comment. I find it strange now that the website is saying something different now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Aquos76 wrote: »
    I wouldn't take that as gospel lads, when I spoke to ABP on Monday, they were adamant that Pat Moran and Eddie Lynch had submitted valid objections, there was an issue surrounding the third one at that stage and they were not in a position to comment. I find it strange now that the website is saying something different now.

Never realized that ABP would engage with a member of he general public......must remember

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Road-Hog wrote: »
    Never realized that ABP would engage with a member of he general public......must remember

Why wouldn’t they? It’s a public process and the information will always be in the public domain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/articles/2017-11-26/saudi-alhokair-mall-ipo-said-to-be-derailed-as-billionaire-held
    This may be a bigger curveball than the abp submissions, which raise valid points on this vulture selloff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Deiseen

Hoffmans wrote: »
    https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/articles/2017-11-26/saudi-alhokair-mall-ipo-said-to-be-derailed-as-billionaire-held
    This may be a bigger curveball than the abp submissions, which raise valid points on this vulture selloff

Old news Hoffman's, the prince was happy enough when he got all the money from the people he was holding.

Can you suggest someone else who is going to invest €350 million into this land please?

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭spaceCreated

southbound wrote: »

Know its a different issue but we also need to sort out ghettos in the town

What? :pac:

fricatus wrote: »
    Lads, I have to say I'm not really comfortable with all this talk of concrete shoes and guillotines. .

The guillotine was clearly a joke? It wouldnt work anyway, his neck would break the thing first anyway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 29,397 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Deiseen wrote:
    Can you suggest someone else who is going to invest €350 million into this land please?

It probably is possible with some European funding, but unfortunately, current EU structures doesn't truly allow this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

What? :pac:

South Central Ballybeg, presumably. It's striking how the least well off area of any size in Waterford is literally across the road from the largest centre of learning and the main industrial zone in the region.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,397 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

South Central Ballybeg, presumably. It's striking how the least well off area of any size in Waterford is literally across the road from the largest centre of learning and the main industrial zone in the region.

Great statement, but ballybeg is doing much better nowadays than its earlier years, but it will always have it's problems unfortunately, due to the complexity of the beast.

I've seen on WLR that ABP may consider an oral hearing. To be decided after Easter. Anyone know what would this mean?

The public funding for this, the "seed money" won't be released until Jan 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

• Advertisement

I've seen on WLR that ABP may consider an oral hearing. To be decided after Easter. Anyone know what would this mean?

Think it's basically a place for objectors and or representatives to speak their mind.council also speaks at it.Im not 100% sure then if BP make a decision.

Max Powers wrote: »
    Think it's basically a place for objectors and or representatives to speak their mind.council also speaks at it.Im not 100% sure then if BP make a decision.

Ok thanks. So it doesn't necessarily speed up the process. I'm sure we'll hear more about it if it is to go ahead

Just listening to someone from the council on the WLR business programme, nothing of any interest said (or any enthusiasm expressed) by the head of the Michael Walsh (I think it was) who has a very downbeat style in his presentation I must say. I'd not be rushing to a public forum he was a key speaker at, engaging the listener is vital how else does one sell a message?

Just listening to someone from the council on the WLR business programme, nothing of any interest said (or any enthusiasm expressed) by the head of the Michael Walsh (I think it was) who has a very downbeat style in his presentation I must say. I'd not be rushing to a public forum he was a key speaker at, engaging the listener is vital how else does one sell a message?

He may not be a slick presenter but he's done a lot of good since taking over so really who gives a F about engaging the listener on wlr, no offence to your good self Harry. all we all really care about is their work and for now removing any nuisance that delays or jeopardises the massive opportunity we have.all people in business care about is bottom line so engaging the audience is nice but frankly it doesn't really matter much,when I see a slick presentation, I'm thinking, show me the stuff that matters.we've had plenty of good engaging talkers here in Ireland, most of em, useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

Are you for real? Michael Walsh has done an incredible job for Waterford since he became the city manager/council CEO. Your comments are harsh to put it mildly. Before Michael Walsh became the city manager/council CEO all the city council seemed to be interested in was building roads around the city. The city centre was starting to die and that was even before the economic crash in 2008. The city centre is fair from dying now and a large part of that is down to the efforts Michael Walsh and his team. Before Michael Walsh the whole tourism product of the Viking triangle did not exist and jobs associated. I heard one of the people who came up with the idea of the greenway say they could not get the idea of the ground until Michael Walsh came onboard. He generally understands the importance of the city centre. Before Michael Walsh the council seemed to have no clue of how important a vibrant city centre is.

I know I have gone on a bit and of topic. But I think Michael Walsh and his team deserve our praise and support for what they are doing. We all know that they have to do it with little help from our frankly pathetic TD’s.

PS I did go to a public forum where he was a key speaker and his talk was one of the best talks I have heard.

Lovely, all I can do is judge on what I heard. I'm glad he is successful so far,.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mickmackmcgoo

Lovely, all I can do is judge on what I heard. I'm glad he is successful so far,.

He is very matter of fact when speaking, but that's much better than being a spoofer and waffling. He gets things done and has been an excellent manager and the longer he stays at it the better.

Why are you so negative? First ballybeg is a slum now Michael Walsh is boring?

Every time I heard him he sounds quite organised, knowledgeable and easy to listen to which is more than can be said for the vast majority of engineers in Ireland today which seem to shout at each other to decide which contractor pays for a f#ck up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

This thread has gone very quiet... any recent news or updates on this project?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

fricatus wrote: »
    This thread has gone very quiet... any recent news or updates on this project?

Did you not hear.......on Sunday one of the saudis reps (that rob I assume) said that the investment was pulled due to the number of anti social ‘cat fights’ noted around John Roberts square in recent weeks. What ever about male v male engaging in fisty cuffs the repeated occurrences of females going for each other was a step to far.....the thoughts of similar incidents happening regularly in the proposed new center led to the decision

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement