Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€300M Investment into Waterford City

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

dzilla wrote: »
    Does anyone think the span of the footbrige is realistic to think people would move between both retail sections of the town?

I don't think you necessarily want that. One of the criticisms I'd have is that the city centre feels spread out/a bit dead as it is.

I think you'd be better off with the type of retail and services that would keep a mixed development of that size operational. Cafe/restaurants, a bar, your Subway/Chopped + convenience store option, a barbers, dentists, creche - that sort of effort.

Let people cross the bridge if they want to get the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

hardybuck wrote: »
    I don't think you necessarily want that. One of the criticisms I'd have is that the city centre feels spread out/a bit dead as it is.

I think you'd be better off with the type of retail and services that would keep a mixed development of that size operational. Cafe/restaurants, a bar, your Subway/Chopped + convenience store option, a barbers, dentists, creche - that sort of effort.

Let people cross the bridge if they want to get the rest.

ya i get ya. Because the clock tower to the north quay would be similiar to the clock tower back to the paddy powers across from dealz. Thats a good stretch on a footbridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

ya i get ya. Because the clock tower to the north quay would be similiar to the clock tower back to the paddy powers across from dealz. Thats a good stretch on a footbridge.

Isn’t there a light rail line running along the footbridge in the designs?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Isn’t there a light rail line running along the footbridge in the designs?

Yep, maybe not light rail but some sort of public shuttle bus, tram type thing part of plans.might be wrong, maybe it is light rail.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭SOPHIE THE DOG

Max Powers wrote: »
    Yep, maybe not light rail but some sort of public shuttle bus, tram type thing part of plans.might be wrong, maybe it is light rail.

Shuttle Bus

• Advertisement

never noticed that now

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭IanVW

An Bord Pleanala’s Oral Hearing into the two objections (and one observation) to the North Quay’s SDZ, will take place on June 6 at 9:30am in Treacy’s Hotel (in the Bridge Room). Could go on for three days (if needed). Read more in this week’s @WaterfordNS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

IanVW wrote: »
    An Bord Pleanala’s Oral Hearing into the two objections (and one observation) to the North Quay’s SDZ, will take place on June 6 at 9:30am in Treacy’s Hotel (in the Bridge Room). Could go on for three days (if needed). Read more in this week’s @WaterfordNS

It will be interesting to see if the objectors show up.

BBM77 wrote: »

Of course they will, maybe in the form of the consultants the ferrybank top petrol station fella hired. Its quite clear these lads are willing to jeopardise a project of massive importance to the city / region for their own benefits/selfish reasons

• Registered Users Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Its quite clear these lads are willing to jeopardise a project of massive importance to the city / region for their own benefits/selfish reasons

In fairness, what would you do....would you cast aside any opportunity for personal financial gain for the benefit of the area?

Just playing devils advocate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

BBM77 wrote: »

I would hope so, as the hearings are being held on the basis of their submissions.

In fact I would like to think some form of penalty could be applied if they did not show ..... I have no idea if that is the case or not.

It is sad it takes about two months for ABP to have such a hearing, which all adds to the delays in the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭fargojones123

I would hope so, as the hearings are being held on the basis of their submissions.

In fact I would like to think some form of penalty could be applied if they did not show ..... I have no idea if that is the case or not.

It is sad it takes about two months for ABP to have such a hearing, which all adds to the delays in the process.

It would be strange if they or at least someone representing them didn't show up, how are they going to have a hearing about their objection if they don't explain their objections

Cortecs wrote: »
    In fairness, what would you do....would you cast aside any opportunity for personal financial gain for the benefit of the area?

Just playing devils advocate.

Yes.there will be plenty to gain without jeopardizing project

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

IanVW wrote: »

:eek: So it really will be D-Day!

:eek: So it really will be D-Day!

Thought that too when I read it Harry...you'll never guess which Stephen Ambrose book I'm reading at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Waterboy2014

Great to see demolition on R&H Hall start...

Didn't see...Good stuff water boy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Deiseen

So, the hearing is tomorrow. Any updates?

Deiseen wrote: »
    So, the hearing is tomorrow. Any updates?

Interesting unconfirmed on wlr...one objector pulled out...

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Waterboy2014

Interesting unconfirmed on wlr...one objector pulled out...

That would be unexpectedly good news Max. Hoping that's true.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

What's taking them so long to demolish it?

Are they waiting for something to happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

What's taking them so long to demolish it?

Are they waiting for something to happen?[/quote

They are waiting on the required ‘explosives’ to arrive from the Czech Republic and the weather to deteriorate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭914

From Waterford News and Star Facebook page

The oral hearing into the North Quays Strategic Development Zone opened briefly at 9.30am this morning at Treacy's Hotel, with Hugh Mannion of An Bord Pleanála telling the meeting that it will recommence at 9.50am as discussions which could result in the appeal of Eddie Lynch being withdrawn are ongoing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭914

From Damien Tieran on Twitter

Second and final objection now withdrawn at An Bord Plannala hearing into proposed North Quays development in Waterford

All good news this am :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

914 wrote: »
    From Damien Tieran on Twitter

Second and final objection now withdrawn at An Bord Plannala hearing into proposed North Quays development in Waterford

If it is true, fair play to the objectors for not dragging the process out once their concerns were addressed.

So does this mean there is going to be a second white elephant getting built in the North of the City?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,397 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

So does this mean there is going to be a second white elephant getting built in the North of the City?

ah come on, this potentially could be one of the biggest positive changes to our local economy, give it a chance at least, even from a seasoned cynic such as myself

I like elephants!

:D

• Advertisement

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    ah come on, this potentially could be one of the biggest positive changes to our local economy, give it a chance at least, even from a seasoned cynic such as myself

Ah it will definitely be nice to look at. Ferrybank SC is a lovely building too

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement