Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€300M Investment into Waterford City

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭fargojones123

34582845_1673654739377864_8219772504881758208_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=a3a1b5c79f61026e10d84558a82fc7eb&oe=5BAB5251

Progress on the last mill taken on Wednesday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

34582845_1673654739377864_8219772504881758208_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=a3a1b5c79f61026e10d84558a82fc7eb&oe=5BAB5251

Shame to see these historic buildings ripped down

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

dzilla wrote: »

Whatever goes up in its place will be historic for the following generations ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

If no structures were ever knocked we'd still be living in squalor. I know some people think pre-cast concrete sheds and silos are the bees knees but it's not as if the ones on the North Quays were unique even in an Irish context. Fans of monolith structures can go to Cork and see basically the same building built for the same company

http://www.buildingsofireland.ie/niah/search.jsp?type=record&county=CC&regno=20508069

• Registered Users Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭Gavlor

dzilla wrote: »

Nope

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

Whatever goes up in its place will be historic for the following generations ;)

Like the ESB building in town or the original government buildings in the Glen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Thank God that concrete jungle is coming down. Looking North of the River has always been an ugly sight. It's so asymmetrical comparing it to the city from the Ferrybank side.

A pedestrian bridge would be so good too! Imagine tourists could walk across from retail outlets in North Warf and then walk across the bridge at to the Clock Tower then up the Viking Triangle.

Our city was really devastated. Here's a video from 2012 of shops that closed down

https://youtu.be/oX1OktbFkXw

The place absolutely epitomised depression. Thankfully things are on the up.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,397 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Our city was really devastated. Here's a video from 2012 of shops that closed down

To be fair, we probably weren't as badly hit as some smaller towns and villages around the country, but it is good to see things picking up

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    To be fair, we probably weren't as badly hit as some smaller towns and villages around the country, but it is good to see things picking up

That's true, but as regional hub we were disproportionately affected more than places like Cork, Dublin, Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

That's true, but as regional hub we were disproportionately affected more than places like Cork, Dublin, Galway.

That is because as regional hub we get disproportionately less support from government than places like Cork, Dublin, Galway.

• Advertisement

BBM77 wrote: »
    That is because as regional hub we get disproportionately less support from government than places like Cork, Dublin, Galway.

And often less IDA visits.

I was listening to a feature on Dublin rents/accommodation crisis on RTE radio the other morning, the correspondent mentioned how companies like Facebook, google etc would be looking at satellite locations in more affordable places like "Cork, Galway and....Athlone" which just said it all really. We still don't register. This investment needs to be a calling card as much as anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

I was listening to a feature on Dublin rents/accommodation crisis on RTE radio the other morning, the correspondent mentioned how companies like Facebook, google etc would be looking at satellite locations in more affordable places like "Cork, Galway and....Athlone" which just said it all really. We still don't register. This investment needs to be a calling card as much as anything.

Is the new bridge part of the overall development?

Was just thinking it would be great to make it as architecturally unique and interesting as possible - maybe add viewing areas, cafes and recreational areas on it.

This is possibly too ambitious but it would send out a statement.

Honestly if this development falls through I think I'll emigrate. I can't see It falling through. This development is absolutely necessary for the expansion and development of the city.

Honestly if this development falls through I think I'll emigrate. I can't see It falling through. This development is absolutely necessary for the expansion and development of the city.

well as time passes, its looking more and more certain. ireland isnt really that bad, but of course thats all relative

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

All gone quiet over there for the past fortnight; what gives? It's like they bashed it up enough so any last gasp objections would be futile but now they can leave it sit there in all its splendid gap-toothed ugliness until construction actually begins on the new development! :(

All gone quiet over there for the past fortnight; what gives? It's like they bashed it up enough so any last gasp objections would be futile but now they can leave it sit there in all its splendid gap-toothed ugliness until construction actually begins on the new development! :(

From what I heard, they are waiting on more equipment, apparently what they have at the moment isn't big enough

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

Its probably full of Rebar it could take ages to cut through it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

Patience, give me some of that sweet patience lord

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

Not to worry, they are back working on it today. The equipment they have on site looks plenty big enough to pull the building down!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

I heard they were back; I think my post at noon made them pull the finger out. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Off topic a bit, but does anyone know what's into the old Salvage Yard past Johns Park?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Dom84

I think it's social housing/apartments

I heard they were back; I think my post at noon made them pull the finger out. ;)

Well they are back working, also it seems another machine is removing all the plants from behind the old houses/buildings

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Well they are back working, also it seems another machine is removing all the plants from behind the old houses/buildings

What sort of plants are you taking about....Japanese knot weed...?

Road-Hog wrote:

That knot weed sounds like some disaster, tons of it down near the greenway by bilberry

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    That knot weed sounds like some disaster, tons of it down near the greenway by bilberry

I don't think you can pull knotweed out though, needs chemical treatment so I guess whatever plants OP mentioned on north quays it ain't knotweed.

Max Powers wrote: »
    I don't think you can pull knotweed out though, needs chemical treatment.

yea it doesnt seem like you can, theres an interesting thread about it on boards, nasty plant

Knotweed to basically evil, once it's established it very hard to fully eradicate as it moves underground with a creeper rhizome system what you get up has to be burnt.

• Advertisement

Road-Hog wrote: »

No, all the plants behind the old house opposite the Ard Rí

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement