Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€300M Investment into Waterford City

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭914

No, all the plants behind the old house opposite the Ard Rí

When you say plants, do you mean plants like weeds/flowers and plants as in buildings?

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭fargojones123

35792895_1691118260964845_671947646344101888_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=7e123d476c512a331773c295b0515ca6&oe=5BB9EF69
    35528732_1691118280964843_6989798419401277440_o.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=9953cb198bd543acb0336d8cea49e08a&oe=5BB426CF

Pics taken today, making some progress now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

I would have been someone who though that it would be better to restore this building but knocking it is a sacrifice worth making to help the North Quays project happen. Now looking at it from the angle of the second picture. Never realised how out of place it is in the streetscape of the river front area on both sides of the river. Actually, glad it is coming down now.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Muttley79

Does anybody know when construction might start on this new development

Muttley79 wrote: »
    Does anybody know when construction might start on this new development

Towards the end of the first quarter 2019. So most likely march/april 2019

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I hardly ever leave my local ring road environs never mind cross the river but did so today and driving along the DC it was really nice to be able to see across the river almost unimpeded. Obviously this state of affairs needed to be brought to an end as quickly as possible! :p

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mickmackmcgoo

Does anyone know when the build of Michael street is to start? All gone very quiet about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Deiseen

Does anyone know when the build of Michael street is to start? All gone very quiet about it.

Apparently will be started around same time now.

Deiseen wrote:

I could be wrong but I thought it was mentioned it was starting in August and would take a year to do but obviously it's not gonna happen in August now

Deiseen wrote:

I could be wrong but I thought it was mentioned it was starting in August and would take a year to do but obviously it's not gonna happen in August now

Heard that myself and I think it was john cummins (could be wrong) saying it would all start in the new year. He could also be wrong on that as it sounded more like an opinion than a fact but its obviously based on something

• Advertisement

I thought it was rob cass who said it but not certain. I know that some of the funds they are seeking from government is related to road improvements in that part of the city

I thought it was rob cass who said it but not certain. I know that some of the funds they are seeking from government is related to road improvements in that part of the city

Cummins said this after Rob said that.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

Would I be right in saying that planning permission will now have to be applied for the buildings that will be built on the north quays. So we should soon start to see what buildings are going there. I know it's a SDZ so plans will be fast tracked.

kilkenny31 wrote: »
    Would I be right in saying that planning permission will now have to be applied for the buildings that will be built on the north quays. So we should soon start to see what buildings are going there. I know it's a SDZ so plans will be fast tracked.

Nope, that's the difference with SDZ. As long as the buildings meet the guidelines then its approved.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

Deiseen wrote: »
    Nope, that's the difference with SDZ. As long as the buildings meet the guidelines then its approved.

So when are we likely to see plans?

In the coming weeks/months I would imagine. I think the design team were selected in the past three months so I would imagine they are working away on them!

There are a few preliminary designs floating around the interweb.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Waterboy2014

I've heard September mentioned on a few occasions as a date for submission of detailed plans. If Q1 2019 is the target start date for construction, the plans probably would want to be submitted by Autumn. I'm hoping we get to see some plans for the bridge, road improvements around then as well.

Don't think any of them are actually linked to the plans but rather a design by the council to give an idea of what it could look like.

Don't think any of them are actually linked to the plans but rather a design by the council to give an idea of what it could look like.

Nope, some of them are definitely by the designers. Obviously not gonna be 100% what is there but it gives an idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Gardner

this could all blow up if BAM get their hands on this and become the Main Contractors.

thanks for the tender....... hmmm variations, lets say nothing to client...... award of contract, eh we didn't allow for this we didn't allow for that......... delay,costs and who knows what will happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Gardner wrote: »
    this could all blow up if BAM get their hands on this and become the Main Contractors.

thanks for the tender....... hmmm variations, lets say nothing to client...... award of contract, eh we didn't allow for this we didn't allow for that......... delay,costs and who knows what will happen.
    Don't know why you bring up BAM and blowing up, just seems like more over pessimism, no contracts awarded and if there is significant variations in any job mid contract, then often contractor will be paid, standard practice for all major and minor jobs/contractors.
    I'd be sceptical of anything anyone seen on web unless it's on WCC page, loads of computer generated images out there of rough idea what look like, nothing fixed yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Gardner

Max Powers wrote: »
    Don't know why you bring up BAM and blowing up, just seems like more over pessimism, no contracts awarded and if there is significant variations in any job mid contract, then often contractor will be paid, standard practice for all major and minor jobs/contractors.
    I'd be sceptical of anything anyone seen on web unless it's on WCC page, loads of computer generated images out there of rough idea what look like, nothing fixed yet.

you must have skipped over the word "if" in my post in relation to your first point :o

you also skipped over "hmmm variations, lets say nothing to client...... award of contract" im talking about awarding the contract and the identification of variations pre award. BAM are notorious for this hiding stuff in their tender clarifications and then when the contract is awarded there in straight away with the variations. i have seen them doing this on about 4 different projects in the last 4/5 years.

Gardner wrote: »
    you must have skipped over the word "if" in my post in relation to your first point :o

you also skipped over "hmmm variations, lets say nothing to client...... award of contract" im talking about awarding the contract and the identification of variations pre award. BAM are notorious for this hiding stuff in their tender clarifications and then when the contract is awarded there in straight away with the variations. i have seen them doing this on about 4 different projects in the last 4/5 years.

I'm not sure what you are on about, this type of stuff goes on a lot in construction as I'd say you know, probably especially with big contractors. Just seems over pessimistic predicting disaster when nothing announced,designed, tendered, awarded yet.it is a beautiful day and the project is moving nicely so far, happy days eh.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭curmudgeonly

Max Powers wrote: »
    I'm not sure what you are on about, this type of stuff goes on a lot in construction as I'd say you know, probably especially with big contractors. Just seems over pessimistic predicting disaster when nothing announced,designed, tendered, awarded yet.it is a beautiful day and the project is moving nicely so far, happy days eh.

When you award a contract and twenty six portakabins arrive on site loaded with QS's and Project managers, you know you're in trouble!

Great to see R&H Building nearly completely demolished. I wonder what the next step is??? Surely plans for some part of the development will need to be submitted (bridge, road improvements vs actually building designs) in the next while.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭fargojones123

37382780_1733792710030733_810561329206132736_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=cfb067c37f039e5b8cd2f412d59dbb45&oe=5BD45F67

37335362_1733792753364062_5241479750467190784_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=b8f6ceb4e7200b95233f0b23582abe94&oe=5BD55A2C

The mill's gone now and public consultation on the new footbridge will be happening soon

37382780_1733792710030733_810561329206132736_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=cfb067c37f039e5b8cd2f412d59dbb45&oe=5BD45F67

37335362_1733792753364062_5241479750467190784_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=b8f6ceb4e7200b95233f0b23582abe94&oe=5BD55A2C

The mill's gone now and public consultation on the new footbridge will be happening soon

Public consultation is happening this very minute. It was advertised in paper and wlr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭jelutong

A word of warning to anyone walking close by the wall to the left of the area shown in that photograph. There's a very nasty hole there about 8 ins across and 18 inches deep. You could break a leg there no bother.

• Advertisement

A contractor is to be appointed for the Michael Street development in mid september for demolition works to make way for the €58 million shopping centre development on the site.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement