Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€300M Investment into Waterford City

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Waterboy2014

debok wrote: »
    He also mentioned something about kilbarry project awhile back. It's all good anyway

Rob Cass made reference in a tweet this morning to a possible €400m investment into the Southeast by a Chinese Renewable Energies company. I wonder is this what he was referring to?

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭robcass78

kilkenny31 wrote: »
    Haha. Sorry missed that post from him.

Regional; not just Waterford. It's one part of a jigsaw ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,399 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

robcass78 wrote:
    Regional; not just Waterford. It's one part of a jigsaw

What's the crack with the renewable energy project?

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭robcass78

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    What's the crack with the renewable energy project?

It's not wholly relevant to the thread, but if we save the region money on energy, it a) offsets the risk of rising energy costs b) puts more money into the region & communities, which is good for the region & the development and c) put South East leading other regions as "why not" rather than "why?"

Case in point; homes to get fined 200 a year due to missing targets comes out of peoples pockets, for politicians and civil servants failings. I can't still fathom why that's accepted/acceptable so I'm still acclimatising to that being "ok" in Ireland; the taxpayer pays the tab, rather than simply the public & civil servants doing what's right.

https://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/families-to-pay-200-in-extra-taxes-over-states-failure-to-hit-its-climate-targets-37258909.html

Can't say much as things have a habit of getting legs, but let's say I, alongside a few others in business in the region, view renewables as one way to differentiate the region in terms of growth out to 2040, and can be a key creator of high value jobs. Why not have the community benefitting from renewables rather than why. We spend about 2bn on energy a year, and ship most of it to ESB and then onward to UK; why not keep the majority of that money in our communities? 1bn reversed is 2bn net gain i.t.o GDP, which is sizeable to retain in the region.

-Anyone know the size of the county economy?

-The size of the region's economy?

-If North Quays is 250m in economic impact, what's that as % of the economy (County & region)?

-If North Quays is 2,500 jobs on site and 6,000 in the total region, what's that as % of unemployment reduction?

-Anyone know how much is spent on a typical homes oil, gas, coal, wood, elec, petrol & diesel a year? And what about those least well off; in carehomes, in schools & creches, on pay meters?

-What's the energy spend as % of the economy (county & region)?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I think this is the wrong time to raise the price of diesel.
    Most (nearly all) heavy transport uses diesel, so raising the price could seriously affect businesses.

Hopefully within the next five years or so there will be family cars available that are battery powered. A lot of effort is going into those presently with Tesla being the most talked about.
    But what is needed are vehicles that replace the family hatchback, and station-wagon (estate) from several manufacturers, so purchasers have a choice such as they are used to.
    We need BEV equivalents for Ford Fiesta, Ford Focus, Mondeo, Mondeo estate etc etc (and their equivalents from other manufacturers).

To encourage non-business use of BEV vehicles all taxes should be dropped ..... including import, VRT, VAT and also a reduction in cost of electricity to charge the vehicles. Give the buyers some guarantee of a number of years use at the low rates.

At present there are no viable alternatives, except in a niche market or two, to the ICE vehicles.
    That must change, and costs must be considerably lower, to really encourage people to change from ICE to BEV.

It is a question of ..... do we spend the money paying for lack of carbon reduction, or pay the money to actually reduce carbon reduction?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Gardner

this thread has slowly developed into a wankfest for the Greens.

and Rob's quote of "but if we save the region money on energy, it a) offsets the risk of rising energy costs b) puts more money into the region & communities, which is good for the region & the development" is factually 100% inaccurate. :o

monorail monorail monorail!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Deiseen

Gardner wrote: »
    this thread has slowly developed into a wankfest for the Greens.

and Rob's quote of "but if we save the region money on energy, it a) offsets the risk of rising energy costs b) puts more money into the region & communities, which is good for the region & the development" is factually 100% inaccurate. :o

monorail monorail monorail!!!!

Can you explain how its incorrect? Its 100% factual to say that any money not leaving the country on fuel/energy, is actually retained in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Gardner

Deiseen wrote: »
    Can you explain how its incorrect? Its 100% factual to say that any money not leaving the country on fuel/energy, is actually retained in the country.

hmmm read his comment and the quote, he said region. if he said country just like you did he maybe correct....

Gardner wrote: »

hmmm read his comment and the quote, he said region. if he said country just like you did he maybe correct....

You can boil that same fact down to region, county and city/town/village.

Care to explain why it's wrong if you say it stops money from leaving the region?

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

So whens this big announcment happening?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Teebor15

About quarter to 9.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭DE DEISE

Teebor15 wrote: »
    About quarter to 9.
    What announcement ????????????????????

DE DEISE wrote: »

Big jobs announcment that rob cass was on about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

Let me guess...

Another coffee shop or gadget shop...

dzilla wrote: »
    Let me guess...

Another coffee shop or gadget shop...

Some project involving a patent and around €150 million investment.

Contracts have been signed but he can't give much away other than that due to the patent..

DE DEISE wrote: »
    Big jobs announcment that rob cass was on about.
    Some project involving a patent and around €150 million investment.

Contracts have been signed but he can't give much away other than that due to the patent..

Another second hand shop?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

So was there an announcement last night or not?

JohnC. wrote: »
    So was there an announcement last night or not?

It was last week. Unless I missed another update?

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Muttley79

What's the story with this big news for Waterford or is somebody blowing hot air

Rob Cass said the announcment was due last week but it never happened. Everything else was just speculation and some small nuggets of information from Rob.

• Advertisement

Rob Cass said the announcment was due last week but it never happened. Everything else was just speculation and some small nuggets of information from Rob.

It did happen. Contracts were signed. He can't say much other than that due to a patent...

It did happen. Contracts were signed. He can't say much other than that due to a patent...

That's not an announcement. It's like the opposite.

It's another kebab House isnt it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Be better to say nothing, then you can't be wrong or have events get the better of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭curmudgeonly

The boy who called wolf. have any of you read it?

Some bunch of dopes on here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

Half people on here hope things don't work out just say they can give out. Like actually wishing things not to happen so they can say i told you so . Is it a Waterford thing because we seem to have alot of begrudgers in this county.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Muttley79

Yeah won't see a county with as many begrudges in it,people hate to see other people doing better than them,it's in the blood in waterford

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

It's a countrywide phenomenon. I've lived in 5 different parts of Ireland in my time and it's the exact same anywhere you go.
    The only thing I would add to that is that it's typically the locals (born and raised) themselves that are most guilty of it.
    Those of whom move to a different town or county to live tend not to be the types to begrudge imo.

• Advertisement

To clear this up, two pages ago there was talk of an announcement happening on Monday evening (3/9) at about 8:45. This is the announcement that is being asked about, not something teasing an announcement a week earlier. Nobody seems to have heard this announcement. It would be nice to know what it was, if it even happened.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement