Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€300M Investment into Waterford City

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Deiseen

JohnC. wrote: »
    Deiseen wrote: »
    It did happen. Contracts were signed. He can't say much other than that due to a patent...

To clear this up, two pages ago there was talk of an announcement happening on Monday evening (3/9) at about 8:45. This is the announcement that is being asked about, not something teasing an announcement a week earlier. Nobody seems to have heard this announcement. It would be nice to know what it was, if it even happened.

Kilkenny31 asked about an announcement when it had already been made. Then Teebor made a joke saying 8:45 and then this spiralled out of control. Announcement had been made before this.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

Kilkenny31 asked about an announcement when it had already been made. Then Teebor made a joke saying 8:45 and then this spiralled out of control. Announcement had been made before this.

But the announcment has not been made. Rob cass said that there was a big announcment for jobs in the south east. Then he came on here and gave a few small clues to what was happpening. But the official announcment has not happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Waterboy2014

kilkenny31 wrote: »
    But the announcment has not been made. Rob cass said that there was a big announcment for jobs in the south east. Then he came on here and gave a few small clues to what was happpening. But the official announcment has not happened.

But he mentioned that an announcement would not be made for another 2-3months. I suppose time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Simple answer please: Are we getting this investment in Waterford or not?

Yes but it's for whole south east and we have to wait for further details.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

I still think it is the biggest april fools joke around 😂

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

alta stare wrote: »
    I still think it is the biggest april fools joke around ��

You can't be saying things like that and upsetting people! :D

This is Blaa Blaa land that we're living in here in the sunny south east!

I still think it is the biggest april fools joke around ��

You can't be saying things like that and upsetting people! :D

This is Blaa Blaa land that we're living in here in the sunny south east!

If it was a faceless unknown person like you with zero credibility, then I'd say you are probably right. But Rob is a real person, doesn't hide behind a pseudonym and is heavily involved in the North Quays project.

If it was a faceless unknown person like you with zero credibility, then I'd say you are probably right. But Rob is a real person, doesn't hide behind a pseudonym and is heavily involved in the North Quays project.

Ah i know how these things can appear to be going nowhere whereas it probably is moving along nicely behind the scenes. I hope it does happen as it will transform Waterford but at the same time if it does fall apart then i would not be surprised either. Here's hoping to some good news soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭robcass78

Gardner wrote: »
    hmmm read his comment and the quote, he said region. if he said country just like you did he maybe correct....
    Ah i know how these things can appear to be going nowhere whereas it probably is moving along nicely behind the scenes. I hope it does happen as it will transform Waterford but at the same time if it does fall apart then i would not be surprised either. Here's hoping to some good news soon.

It's an investment in the South East, and it's subject to a few conditions being met (patent wise). Until we've performed some legal checks, I'm not announcing anything, as that would be a bit stupid, as announcing it also would invalidate the patent, plus increase likelihood of competitor stealing it, or vested interests attempting to block yet another FDI investment that's good for the region.

Region. Not Country. Concluded mid-end November. Not related to North Quays.

If only everything was black & white, the world would be a much simpler place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭914

robcass78 wrote: »
    , I'm not announcing anything, as that would be a bit stupid, as announcing it also would invalidate the patent, plus increase likelihood of competitor stealing it, or vested interests attempting to block yet another FDI investment that's good for the region.

Thats normally what politicians do! Jump the gun and hamper the development.

Thanks for the update, good to hear this is also progreessing well like the North Quays.

Gardner wrote: »
    hmmm read his comment and the quote, he said region. if he said country just like you did he maybe correct....

It's an investment in the South East, and it's subject to a few conditions being met (patent wise). Until we've performed some legal checks, I'm not announcing anything, as that would be a bit stupid, as announcing it also would invalidate the patent, plus increase likelihood of competitor stealing it, or vested interests attempting to block yet another FDI investment that's good for the region.

Region. Not Country. Concluded mid-end November. Not related to North Quays.

If only everything was black & white, the world would be a much simpler place.

Will they begin clearing Michael Street this month Rob?

Will they begin clearing Michael Street this month Rob?

No idea where that date is coming from; Michael St is tied to North Quays; work won't start until contract completed, which is lead-time driven by Irish Rail (who are being superb by the way, contrary to perception, as it's the first "new" train station in a long time) and government funding, then our own debt funding process follows on from that, which is normal process but takes 3-12 months, depending on bankers.

All this assumes government fund what gives the south east a benefit to the economy, on our latest numbers, of 377m a year in benefits and 3425 direct jobs, compared to a once off cost of only 51m, means taxpayers are getting an immediate return of 7 fold on the total cost. Before all the other years of operation also deliver upward of 377m a year, and that's also before the multiplier effect kicks in.

I'd like to see a better returning project on the "building roads to nowhere" infrastructure capital spend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

No idea where that date is coming from; Michael St is tied to North Quays; work won't start until contract completed, which is lead-time driven by Irish Rail (who are being superb by the way, contrary to perception, as it's the first "new" train station in a long time) and government funding, then our own debt funding process follows on from that, which is normal process but takes 3-12 months, depending on bankers.

All this assumes government fund what gives the south east a benefit to the economy, on our latest numbers, of 377m a year in benefits and 3425 direct jobs, compared to a once off cost of only 51m, means taxpayers are getting an immediate return of 7 fold on the total cost. Before all the other years of operation also deliver upward of 377m a year, and that's also before the multiplier effect kicks in.

I'd like to see a better returning project on the "building roads to nowhere" infrastructure capital spend.

You said back in February
    Michael St

-Start build-Aug 18
    -Finish build-Aug 19
    -60 day handover/snag complete-Nov 19
    -Doors open-Dec 19 (trade for Christmas)

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=106163295&postcount=712

Thanks. No way would I have imagined it would take government funding at least 9 months to invest in such a return, but then, I'm getting used to Ireland's polictical and civil servant complete lack of delivery.

I'm sorry; I should be adding decades to deadlines so the life and energy is sucked out of any desire to make a difference for a community, and we stumble onwards to end up paying 200bn for civil servants pension deficit.

Not relevant to Thread I guess, or can I Segway back to the benefits of the development and ask how much funds pensions rather than cathlab and Council built affordable homes or childcare subsidies or grants for those who've left to move back and start businesses?

Thanks. No way would I have imagined it would take government funding at least 9 months to invest in such a return, but then, I'm getting used to Ireland's polictical and civil servant complete lack of delivery.

I'm sorry; I should be adding decades to deadlines so the life and energy is sucked out of any desire to make a difference for a community, and we stumble onwards to end up paying 200bn for civil servants pension deficit.

Not relevant to Thread I guess, or can I Segway back to the benefits of the development and ask how much funds pensions rather than cathlab and Council built affordable homes or childcare subsidies or grants for those who've left to move back and start businesses?

Which TD's are fighting to get this money released Rob? All of them I hope! But I know you mentioned that some were doing more than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Rob, I'm not fully up to speed on what you do exactly in your career, but it seems to require your influencing skills to get projects over the line.

Just a suggestion, but maybe it's not sensible for you to be quite as openly negative towards the Government, the Councils and the Civil Service seeing as you need their co-operation and support on so many fronts.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,399 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

hardybuck wrote:
    Just a suggestion, but maybe it's not sensible for you to be quite as openly negative towards the Government, the Councils and the Civil Service seeing as you need their co-operation and support on so many fronts.

It's also important to note the level of powerlessness that's currently occurring within our political institutions across the EU in resolving our most critical of needs

Which TD's are fighting to get this money released Rob? All of them I hope! But I know you mentioned that some were doing more than others.

No TD's have requested meetings on North Quays.

Cabinet ministers and 2 senators locally are pushing it.

I'm not 'openly negative' just telling the truth. We have so much opportunity.

The cabinet ministers and the senior servants I've met are superb and supportive; they've all backed what we do.

Calling out average or underdelivery; our communities want & deserve brilliance.

If someone doesn't deliver, up the game.

Some superb civil servants and politicians serve their community.

Community first is my principle; if we are all working towards that, great, but I don't believe in licking arse, particularly when there is poor track record.

Government is there to support growth of communities, not hammer, block or stop it.

If people don't like the benefits of 3,700 jobs, or chance to change the region for the better, and want to put their own ego first, so be it but that's not me. I want North Quays and South East to be vibrant and have a vision and track record for it.

'Hate the game, not the player.'

The cabinet ministers and the senior servants I've met are superb and supportive; they've all backed what we do.

Calling out average or underdelivery; our communities want & deserve brilliance.

Community first is my principle; if we are all working towards that, great, but I don't believe in licking arse, particularly when there is poor track record.

Government is there to support growth of communities, not hammer, block or stop it.

If people don't like the benefits of 3,700 jobs, or chance to change the region for the better, and want to put their own ego first, so be it but that's not me. I want North Quays and South East to be vibrant and have a vision and track record for it.

You seem to alternate between your criticism of the game and the players.

The Government is generally responsible for seeing - insofar as is practicable that the needs of the public are addressed and that any dangers threatening the interests of the public are averted.

While I wouldn't doubt your intentions, you will be wearing the hat of Fawaz Al Hokair as you seem to be employed by them. Public officials need to consider the broader situation, and I'm glad that you've had such good interactions with them.

It seems as though this project was put in the SDZ to fast track the planning. It also seems as though the Government have committed to the funding you sought as part of the National Development Plan to enable you guys to go ahead and get moving on it.

Best of luck with your efforts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Just curious. When you refer to snr civil servants are they the Dublin based ones or those locally ie our council employees......those who get the blame for wrecking the city with traffic plans such as quays, the more recent bath street/ manor set up and countless others, the tolled bypass etc...?

You generally present a balanced view in any case not like the majority of the moaners on this thread/site who already see the glass half empty.

Road-Hog wrote: »
    Just curious. When you refer to snr civil servants are they the Dublin based ones or those locally ie our council employees......those who get the blame for wrecking the city with traffic plans such as quays, the more recent bath street/ manor set up and countless others, the tolled bypass etc...?

You generally present a balanced view in any case not like the majority of the moaners on this thread/site who already see the glass half empty.

Council staff are public servants. People who work for Government Departments, e.g. Department of Finance, are Civil Servants.

hardybuck wrote: »
    You seem to alternate between your criticism of the game and the players.

The Government is generally responsible for seeing - insofar as is practicable that the needs of the public are addressed and that any dangers threatening the interests of the public are averted.

While I wouldn't doubt your intentions, you will be wearing the hat of Fawaz Al Hokair as you seem to be employed by them. Public officials need to consider the broader situation, and I'm glad that you've had such good interactions with them.

It seems as though this project was put in the SDZ to fast track the planning. It also seems as though the Government have committed to the funding you sought as part of the National Development Plan to enable you guys to go ahead and get moving on it.

Best of luck with your efforts.

Protecting the public; 10,000 homeless, record health waiting lists, declining education rankings, worst-in-EU climate action/sustainability, over concentration of tax on select multinationals, budget deficit at the top of economic cycle, 200,000 waiting on homes; 10 years before that crisis is fixed. A rising student debt crisis. Running a 200bn public pension deficit. Civic and cultural spend that's the lowest per capita in EU. School waiting lists. 1 in 4 in fuel poverty.

That's not 'protecting citizens' as it's not helping the most vulnerable and pretty woeful. Or, it's terrible public service.

We would be an amazing country if we didn't have such terrible public & civil delivery. I would go so far as best in the world, but ineptness holds us back.

That 99% in public sector see themselves as 'doing a good job' tells me there is a gap between the poor delivery reality and drinking the kool aid daily at work, as if hypothetically someone landed one day Mars and looked at things objectively that a country is rich but is so poor at governance, you'd conclude the same.

Maybe my experience globally allows me to look at things objectively.

Applying such poor delivery to policy in Waterford costs €1.6bn a year; about 16,000 jobs. To be blunt; poor governance & civil + public delivery costs jobs and holds back about 40% economic growth.

I'd suggest those in civil & public service ask or poll the public on how they rate the service they get. If you're such a servant, create a survey monkey poll.

Or a dashboard measuring performance; there are none in Waterford (housing, shocking IDA & EI poor performance, climate action, tourism etc) beside the central health waiting lists.

Yes; I work full-time for Fawaz Alhokair. Have done for on & off 10 years. Delighted to have delivered over 15,000 jobs as it's a great feeling to made a community better.

There's nothing wrong with asking for better service and calling it out to say we've to improve. It doesn't serve the community or future generations by saying 'it's ok, to be crap' or live in denial as some do saying 'the system works.' It doesn't work well to give all the public & civil service led issues above.

That our politicians don't see or do something about this means they like the poor results and indicates the further growth potential we have if we fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Bards

If the govt somehow manage not to give us the money we need would we be be better off breaking away from the republic and gaining independent status

Ask yourselves this. What has ROI Inc ever done for us?

University..nope.. and looks like hq of new USE will not be in Waterford

WRH.being downgraded daily until they have an excuse to remove more services to Cork

Third level teaching college .. closed down
    Hq VEC... Moved to Wexford
    GPO Sorting office... Moved to cork

These are just off the tip of my tongue..and I am sure there are loads more.

So again I ask what has ROI Inc ever done for us?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I do not accept
    robcass78 wrote:
    That our politicians don't see or do something about this means they like the poor results

I think you should look for another reason for such (from a societal point of view) poor performance.

There are many possibilities, not least of which is being subject to influences that might appear to be benign but which are damaging to our society.

Let us not lose sight of the fact that businesses (your employers?) have one motive in such projects as described here ...... profit.

That there are likely be be considerable societal benefits locally is more of a by-product, but also helps ensure the future profitability of the project, which no doubt is factored in to the planning.

I am very much in favour of projects that help localities/regions with employment and resulting benefits of such employment, but let us not be blind to the real reason for such investment, and what that means.
    The profits from such endeavours benefit owners/shareholders, which are rarely local or regional based.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,399 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

robcass78 wrote:
    Protecting the public; 10,000 homeless, record health waiting lists, declining education rankings, worst-in-EU climate action/sustainability, over concentration of tax on select multinationals, budget deficit at the top of economic cycle, 200,000 waiting on homes; 10 years before that crisis is fixed. A rising student debt crisis. Running a 200bn public pension deficit. Civic and cultural spend that's the lowest per capita in EU. School waiting lists. 1 in 4 in fuel poverty.

It's important to realise the complexity of these issues, you will find many of these issues are actually very common across the world, particularly in free market economies, we have allowed highly complex, plutocratic forces, some of which you have mentioned, to become extremely powerful, more so powerful than our political institutions, rendering these institutions effectively powerless in helping us provide for ourselves. In my opinion, I do believe, it effectively doesn't actually matter who's voted in, many of these issues are largely unchangeable until a realisation of the failures of the free market ideology, in particular the neoliberal/neoclassical ideology, is largely accepted, we re playing a very dangerous game here.

That's not 'protecting citizens' as it's not helping the most vulnerable and pretty woeful. Or, it's terrible public service.

We would be an amazing country if we didn't have such terrible public & civil delivery. I would go so far as best in the world, but ineptness holds us back.

That 99% in public sector see themselves as 'doing a good job' tells me there is a gap between the poor delivery reality and drinking the kool aid daily at work, as if hypothetically someone landed one day Mars and looked at things objectively that a country is rich but is so poor at governance, you'd conclude the same.

Maybe my experience globally allows me to look at things objectively.

Applying such poor delivery to policy in Waterford costs €1.6bn a year; about 16,000 jobs. To be blunt; poor governance & civil + public delivery costs jobs and holds back about 40% economic growth.

I'd suggest those in civil & public service ask or poll the public on how they rate the service they get. If you're such a servant, create a survey monkey poll.

Or a dashboard measuring performance; there are none in Waterford (housing, shocking IDA & EI poor performance, climate action, tourism etc) beside the central health waiting lists.

Yes; I work full-time for Fawaz Alhokair. Have done for on & off 10 years. Delighted to have delivered over 15,000 jobs as it's a great feeling to made a community better.

There's nothing wrong with asking for better service and calling it out to say we've to improve. It doesn't serve the community or future generations by saying 'it's ok, to be crap' or live in denial as some do saying 'the system works.' It doesn't work well to give all the public & civil service led issues above.

That our politicians don't see or do something about this means they like the poor results and indicates the further growth potential we have if we fix it.

Are you sure you don't have an unbalanced view on matters?

Maybe it's unfair to expect you to have a balanced view because you don't have the full picture.

Regarding the Civil Service, as you pointed out they generally get very positive feedback. The last customer survey conducted in 2017 highlighted that 83% of customers were happy with the service they received. That was up from 76% in 2015. I'm not sure if the public service, which includes teachers, nurses, Gardai, Army, local councils etc. have anything similar.

By the way, if you're really interested public life, there will be local and European elections next May. There are also regular opportunities for people like yourself to take up roles in the public service if you're interested in a challenge.

Once again, best of luck delivering all the jobs that have been promised now that the Government have supported you with the funding to enable the €280m investment from your Saudi employers. I'm genuinely looking forward to seeing it all come together as promised.

Bards wrote: »
    If the govt somehow manage not to give us the money we need would we be be better off breaking away from the republic and gaining independent status

Ask yourselves this. What has ROI Inc ever done for us?

University..nope.. and looks like hq of new USE will not be in Waterford

WRH.being downgraded daily until they have an excuse to remove more services to Cork

Third level teaching college .. closed down
    Hq VEC... Moved to Wexford
    GPO Sorting office... Moved to cork

These are just off the tip of my tongue..and I am sure there are loads more.

So again I ask what has ROI Inc ever done for us?

Would you go back to the UK or try and go solo like somewhere like Andorra?

I would seriously question if Waterford could be solvent if it wasn't supported by funding from somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭mart 23

Just a reader of this forum. robcass78 where have u delivered these 15000 jobs. In Ireland or else where ?

• Advertisement

Why does rob think its ok to go online criticising the government the same government his supposed employers are asking for money from???? Is it really best practice or even professional to being doing such a thing??? Surely if you are that well up in this group you would know (you say you have experience)it would be better off if you kept your mouth shut in public about our government.

And before any of the usual suspects come in with their knickers in a twist i am firmly in favour of this development. I hope it happens i hope it transforms this wonderful city (it also may not), a city i am proud to be from.

I do not have to believe everything i hear or read tho and in doing that it most certainly does not mean i am being negative or a whinger. That type of label is used by the lazy blinkered people, the ones who think they are the almighty, its your choice not to question anything therefore i reserve the right to do the opposite yet to some whoever questions it they are screamed at as being the negative ones, the whingers, the moaners.....that small mind attitude is pathetic and thankfully there is only a handful who partake in such behaviour. It actually laughable how some of ye carry on and to be honest I personally just dont hang on every word this man lays in front of us and seeing his long post criticising the very people he is meant to be doing business with speaks volumes to me that he may be in fact in the words of Eammon Dunphy........ a spoofer.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement