Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€300M Investment into Waterford City

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭gw80

Motivator wrote: »
    Well I think the better option would be to start at a smaller project, let’s say 10% of the proposed project. That’s €30 million to get something off the ground. Jobs will still be created and a new €30m development would be started. When is the last time there was even €3m invested in Waterford? Starting a €300m project where there is literally nothing to use as a reference point i.e a smaller project that was a big success is just madness in my opinion. Why go all out and build one of the biggest projects, if not the biggest, in a city that is absolutely dead on its feet? It just doesn’t make sense. If this gets the go ahead I cannot see how they’re going to fill it with premium retail names. Let’s take the Tommy Hilfiger shop in Waterford. I try and give them business whenever I can but it’s a once in every few months purchase I’ll be making. A friend of mine works close to it and he’s always in there but he has admitted he never buys anything. Trade is slow enough in there by all accounts. Now, if people can’t afford to shop in Tommy Hilfiger, let’s be honest not everyone can - myself included which is why it’s the odd purchase when I’m in the city, then how do we expect multiple premium brand stores to do well in a shopping centre than spans I don’t know how many thousand square feet? As someone above has mentioned, Penny’s is the only retail space in Waterford city centre that’s anyway busy. What id like the city council to do is fix the problems in the CBD in town. Drop rates and get tenants in to the city centre again. The place is dead and it’s got no atmosphere. Instead, this new proposed development is a vanity project for the city council. They want their name in lights by the look of things.

Would it be such a terrible idea to improve the city centre, then build a small development worth around €30 m and if that takes off then keep adding to it? If the city centre was revamped and a smaller, but still expensive new development, was successful then we’d see more and more interest in the city. What I’m fearful of is that they’re going to take one Hail Mary shot at this and when it fails, which it will because there’s not enough money or people in the city to justify it or make it work, then the city is going to be in serious trouble.

Lastly, make it big in Cork? There’s no need for a snide comment. I moved to Cork when I met my now wife. I work my hole off down here and I get back home as much as I can. I’d love to be back in Waterford but guess what - I can’t find a job there which goes back to my original point.
    To be fair, the city centre is being improved, the apple market, the Viking triangle, Arundel square, and the proposed o, connel st refurb, all this has been going on for years here, and the newgate st shopping centre.
    It's not great that it's the only game in town at the moment but it's the only game in town at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

30m? The Al Hokair Group don't piss about with that sort of development. Why would they.

And before someone says well then maybe you could get someone else to invest in a small project (30m gets you another City Square at most), the whole point is that someone did the metrics and saw what was possible and they have a big cheque and they are going in big because going in small and incrementally makes absolutely no sense for them or the region - and that's worth mentioning. Clearly the NQP is not just for Waterford - that's just where it is as putting it anywhere else would also make no sense for planning and supporting infrastructure reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭914

I think everyone is getting carried away with all of these ambitious plans and apparent billion euro investments in the city. Waterford has no industry of note and it will never attract any multinationals that will give jobs to hundreds and hundreds of people. Yes, we have Genzyme and Westpharma but we don’t have a Microsoft, a Vodafone, a PWC where there are hundreds of highly skilled and highly paid workers. If you look at any mid twenty something person who is ambitious career wise, they are in Dublin. Waterford has nothing for these people and it never has had. What can the city offer any local who has an Economics and Finance degree? Or someone with a degree in Accountancy? A friend of mine is a qualified accountant and in the last 18 months there has been one job that has been advertised in the city and county that he would have been willing to take. He wants to move back to Waterford and buy a house but wasnt willing to take a job that will cut his take home pay each year in half. I know four college graduates from the last couple of years, all of whom have honors degrees in Economics and Finance from both UCC and UCD. They would like to come home and work in Waterford but again, there’s nothing here for them. What can Waterford offer its young people? Eishtec? Work in factories like B&L? I know these are good local employers but these aren’t places where people can go and build a long term career. Waterford is an industrial city and our long term problem is that we had it so good for so long with Waterford Crystal. The glass factory was seen as a gravy train for a huge percentage of the population in Waterford and many people who are now in their mid to late 30s are stuck in low skilled, low paying jobs because they thought they’d come straight from school and jump on the gravy train like their parents did 30 years before.

Waterford got nailed in the recession and felt the effects of it harder and longer than any other “big city” in Ireland because there was little to no diversity in the jobs and businesses that were on offer. I could name 100+ people that I personally know that lost their jobs in clothes shops and factories around Waterford. There isn’t a big enough spread of varying companies or jobs appealing to highly skilled or highly educated workers. None of these ambitious plans for retail, high end apartment blocks or fancy hotels will ever come to fruition because the city just doesn’t have the appeal or jobs which can offer the the high disposable income necessary to make these proposed projects a realistic success.

Before anyone jumps down my throat or belittles my post, sit back and think about it for a second. We have one of the most ambitious retail and hospitality projects ever seen in the country that is proposed for a city that offers absolutely nothing to the proposition’s target market. I love Waterford and so does my wife, I come home every chance possible with her from Cork but I can’t see how any of this is going to be a success.

That is a very honest and truthful post but while as you point out we may currently lack economic of finance, the IT and pharma industry is on the up here....

Redhat
    Nearform
    Se2
    Sunlife
    Dataworks
    StitcherAds
    Radius
    Routematch
    Arch lads
    Box works

Just to name a few. Have a browse of crystalvally and you will be surprised by the amount of tech companies in Waterford and the SouthEast.

Outside of that look at the high-end pharma jobs

West pharma
    Sanofi
    Eirgen

Again just to name a few.

Then look at Kilkenny, a 20 minutes or so drive from the North Quays, and they have economic/finance companies the likes of

State street
    VHI
    Glanbia

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Deiseen

€600 million + retail leakage alone to other regions lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

914 wrote: »
    That is a very honest and truthful post but while as you point out we may currently lack economic of finance, the IT and pharma industry is on the up here....

Redhat
    Nearform
    Se2
    Sunlife
    Dataworks
    StitcherAds
    Radius
    Routematch
    Arch lads
    Box works

Just to name a few. Have a browse of crystalvally and you will be surprised by the amount of tech companies in Waterford and the SouthEast.

West pharma
    Sanofi
    Eirgen

Then look at Kilkenny, a 20 minutes or so drive from the North Quays, and they have economic/finance companies the likes of

State street
    VHI
    914 wrote: »

Redhat
    Nearform
    Se2
    Sunlife
    Dataworks
    StitcherAds
    Radius
    Routematch
    Arch lads
    Box works

West pharma
    Sanofi
    Eirgen

State street
    VHI
    Glanbia

Good response but I think there is no converting mr (de) motivator to a more favorable view on the project but in reality he via his negativity will have no influence on the project....if however you do listen/read and try and understand the basis for the developers decision and banish the local ‘waterford’ negative/glass half empty mind set then it is possible that they may have done their homework and that the project could actually work.....a few of their points in summary are:

1. The South east has no ‘urban/destination / attraction’ for shopping....locals ( mostly females) will happily drive to Mahon pt/dundrum/Kildare village etc for their shopping fix at weekends......some of that could easily be reversed if there was a sufficient offering locally - mr and Mrs (de) motivator might be tempted to visit home more often and have a lot more places other than hildiger to buy their shirts etc

2. As well as reversing the habits of the locals there is also potential to have an influx of non locals checking out the new shopping offer at least once and by word of mouth will end up spreading the word to their friends/colleagues which is of course only if the development is of sufficient scale with the right mix of brands etc.

3. The site has fast track planning and limited if any risk of planning appeals and it is most likely also that the cost of the land is significantly less expensive than other urban areas of the county in a similar way that house prices are lower also in south east

4. Luckily the it appears that they local council has been supporting the project from day one and doing and carrying out all the necessary improvements to make the site properly accessible, CPO new bridge etc

Time as always will tell all, in ten years time will we have a bustling notrh quays centre and city center or will it be lying empty like the copper clad building 1km up the road at Ferrybank..?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭curmudgeonly

I think everyone is getting carried away with all of these ambitious plans and apparent billion euro investments in the city. Waterford has no industry of note and it will never attract any multinationals that will give jobs to hundreds and hundreds of people. Yes, we have Genzyme and Westpharma but we don’t have a Microsoft, a Vodafone, a PWC where there are hundreds of highly skilled and highly paid workers. If you look at any mid twenty something person who is ambitious career wise, they are in Dublin. Waterford has nothing for these people and it never has had. What can the city offer any local who has an Economics and Finance degree? Or someone with a degree in Accountancy? A friend of mine is a qualified accountant and in the last 18 months there has been one job that has been advertised in the city and county that he would have been willing to take. He wants to move back to Waterford and buy a house but wasnt willing to take a job that will cut his take home pay each year in half. I know four college graduates from the last couple of years, all of whom have honors degrees in Economics and Finance from both UCC and UCD. They would like to come home and work in Waterford but again, there’s nothing here for them. What can Waterford offer its young people? Eishtec? Work in factories like B&L? I know these are good local employers but these aren’t places where people can go and build a long term career. Waterford is an industrial city and our long term problem is that we had it so good for so long with Waterford Crystal. The glass factory was seen as a gravy train for a huge percentage of the population in Waterford and many people who are now in their mid to late 30s are stuck in low skilled, low paying jobs because they thought they’d come straight from school and jump on the gravy train like their parents did 30 years before.

Waterford got nailed in the recession and felt the effects of it harder and longer than any other “big city” in Ireland because there was little to no diversity in the jobs and businesses that were on offer. I could name 100+ people that I personally know that lost their jobs in clothes shops and factories around Waterford. There isn’t a big enough spread of varying companies or jobs appealing to highly skilled or highly educated workers. None of these ambitious plans for retail, high end apartment blocks or fancy hotels will ever come to fruition because the city just doesn’t have the appeal or jobs which can offer the the high disposable income necessary to make these proposed projects a realistic success.

Before anyone jumps down my throat or belittles my post, sit back and think about it for a second. We have one of the most ambitious retail and hospitality projects ever seen in the country that is proposed for a city that offers absolutely nothing to the proposition’s target market. I love Waterford and so does my wife, I come home every chance possible with her from Cork but I can’t see how any of this is going to be a success.

OR

Waterford, a City on its knees, cheap property prices,a willing local Authority a very low footfall with huge unfulfilled tourist and shopping potential, an enormous sunny aspect waterfront property available.
    An international Property group trying to invest large sums of money with post oil in mind, proven ability in building destination shopping centres with their own portfolio of brands on board, Firdaws for Al Hokair.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,404 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Waterford, a City on its knees, cheap property prices,a willing local Authority a very low footfall with huge unfulfilled tourist and shopping potential, an enormous sunny aspect waterfront property available. An international Property group trying to invest large sums of money with post oil in mind, proven ability in building destination shopping centres with their own portfolio of brands on board, Firdaws for Al Hokair.

Is raising the price of property in a region, really that good, and retail isn't exactly known for its good pay and conditions? Even though this development brings enormous amounts of positives to this region, it's important to be aware of its negatives, and to try reduce their impacts.

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Is raising the price of property in a region, really that good, and retail isn't exactly known for its good pay and conditions? Even though this development brings enormous amounts of positives to this region, it's important to be aware of its negatives, and to try reduce their impacts.

I was making a point about perspective, which you unknowingly doubled down on, well done my friend we know how full your glass is!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,404 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I was making a point about perspective, which you unknowingly doubled down on, well done my friend we know how full your glass is!

This is nothing to do with things being half full or empty, these are known issues with such developments, many well respected economic commentators have been writing about these issues for a long time, some even mentioned by Rob cass himself, are people prepared to pay more for their property in the region due to this development? We need to implement wealth capturing mechanism along with this development, in order to reduce growing inequalities and also to reduce worker insecurities in the region , to truly benefit from this amazing development.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭engiweirdo

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Waterford, a City on its knees, cheap property prices,a willing local Authority a very low footfall with huge unfulfilled tourist and shopping potential, an enormous sunny aspect waterfront property available. An international Property group trying to invest large sums of money with post oil in mind, proven ability in building destination shopping centres with their own portfolio of brands on board, Firdaws for Al Hokair.

Well that's the significant bugbear with it tbh. Unless there is something substantial outside of retail to go in there it's not that great a plan.

Break it down by our cities and we have: Dublin: Basically everything but lets say Big Tech, Finance and Government; Cork: Pharma(may well be Europe leading) + Tech + Finance; Limerick: Aerospace +Electronics; Galway: IDA Darling, Medtech and Tech

Waterford: Sprinkling of (largely homegrown, fűck you IDA) tech companies, Sprinkling of mid size pharma plants.

Now all the other cities are getting targetted investment in their strength areas in tandem with retail development not retail in place of industry. Unless this happens it will be a real case of building the house on sand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I find it rather amusing that some keyboard warrior can dismiss the potential of success of this project
    None of these ambitious plans for retail, high end apartment blocks or fancy hotels will ever come to fruition
    a city that offers absolutely nothing to the proposition’s target market
    this new proposed development is a vanity project for the city council
    when it fails, which it will

Apparently the belief is that those investing in the project have no idea what they are doing; have not done their 'homework'; and are only considering the city and its inhabitants as their target market.

As has been explained many times by the representative of the investors, none of those are factual, and simply reading the posts in this thread and the links within some of those posts shows that.

I do agree somewhat with the concern about the effect on the region of such a large 'sudden' development.
    In the past we have gotten used to gradual development and the effects of each 'step'.
    In this case we might find the effects a bit overwhelming.
    What we can do to prepare for this I am unsure, but hopefully some thought has been given to it and maybe even preparations made.

It would also be a huge boost to the local economy if the investors committed to investing, on a continuing basis, a small percentage of their profits from the project, in the immediate locality.

BTW, I have not read anything of late about the plans for moving the railway station or what the timeline might be for that etc. etc..

I find it rather amusing that some keyboard warrior can dismiss the potential of success of this project

Apparently the belief is that those investing in the project have no idea what they are doing; have not done their 'homework'; and are only considering the city and its inhabitants as their target market.

As has been explained many times by the representative of the investors, none of those are factual, and simply reading the posts in this thread and the links within some of those posts shows that.

I do agree somewhat with the concern about the effect on the region of such a large 'sudden' development.
    In the past we have gotten used to gradual development and the effects of each 'step'.
    What we can do to prepare for this I am unsure, but hopefully some thought has been given to it and maybe even preparations made.

It would also be a huge boost to the local economy if the investors committed to investing, on a continuing basis, a small percentage of their profits from the project, in the immediate locality.

BTW, I have not read anything of late about the plans for moving the railway station or what the timeline might be for that etc. etc..

I agree , I think you may hear the words "phased development" soon enough, CIE have agreed the move but have said they have no money for it is the latest I have heard.

Have people actually read what is going into the North Quays? Because it seems like they are complaining for the sake of complaining without knowing the full details. It's got:

Retail
    Housing
    Hotel + Conference Centre
    Tourist Centre
    Train Station
    Offices
    Passenger Bridge

It literally has everything that everyone on here is moaning about Waterford not having...

Maybe they will attract a big name into the offices and I am sure that they are already in discussions with a few.

Also with regard to the development being so big and expensive. If you broke down all the investment that went to other cities, which we have missed out on over the last 10/15 years then this will probably just bring us in line.

If Waterford had been heavily built up like other cities during this period and then they were proposing this, then I could understand those concerns but this investment is just making up for 15 years of nothingness.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

It's amazing that some people are trying to turn the best good news story this City has had in generations into a negative!!!!

Someone described it as battered wife syndrome about 25 pages back, it does feel like some people are just assuming the worst will happen no matter what.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Motivator

Do you even know what the term keyboard warrior means? Giving some people on this thread some facts about my doubts surrounding the proposed development hardly qualifies me as being a keyboard warrior. I suggest you learn what the term means before using it.

For the record, I’d love nothing more than for this development to be a success. Just because I have serious doubts about it doesn’t mean I don’t want it to work. Who in their right mind would want it to fail? Being realistic and being an asshole are too very different things.

People are under the assumption that IF this development happens that it will suddenly be the white knight that Waterford needs. It could well be in years to come but I stick by my original point - we have no money in the town to transform the fortunes of the city and until more jobs for highly skilled workers are created then the town will continue to suffer. This isn’t made up stuff, it’s fact. If this development goes ahead, as someone above said the property prices in Waterford will rise and so too will the day to day cost of living as every greengrocer, barber and corner shop owner will eventually raise their prices. The problem of a lack of high skilled jobs for highly educated people remains. As I said, I’m not belittling anything or bashing anything for the sake of it. These are legitimate concerns.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭azimuth17

Negative comment about Waterford (nothing in the town boy, and no money in the town, boy and the town is f****d boy) comes from two sources. Employees (understandable) and their families who lost everything when major industry closed and a section of people in south Kilkenny who see any positive for Waterford as a negative for Kilkenny. Maybe that's understandable too, but its interesting to read the posts on this thread to allocate the appropriate connection. Whenever I see "ye" i immediately reserve judgement. We all know that the city has had a very difficult time. The fact that this development is even being contemplated is amazing and I hope it comes off for all our sake. It always amazes me for a place with nothing supposedly going on the amount of traffic arriving and leaving the city ever day at rush hour. Every evening RTE radio traffic news has a story about traffic on the Waterford city side of New Ross. Where do people think that comes from?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 cactus jacks

For the record, I’d love nothing more than for this development to be a success. Just because I have serious doubts about it doesn’t mean I don’t want it to work. Who in their right mind would want it to fail? Being realistic and being an asshole are too very different things.

People are under the assumption that IF this development happens that it will suddenly be the white knight that Waterford needs. It could well be in years to come but I stick by my original point - we have no money in the town to transform the fortunes of the city and until more jobs for highly skilled workers are created then the town will continue to suffer. This isn’t made up stuff, it’s fact. If this development goes ahead, as someone above said the property prices in Waterford will rise and so too will the day to day cost of living as every greengrocer, barber and corner shop owner will eventually raise their prices. The problem of a lack of high skilled jobs for highly educated people remains. As I said, I’m not belittling anything or bashing anything for the sake of it. These are legitimate concerns.

Just out of curiosity, how do you suggest we attract these companies that will provide these highly skilled jobs and the people to work in them to Waterford without this development? How do we grow our population etc? An investment of 30 million isn’t going to cut it; because as another poster here has pointed out that might just about get us another city square or a couple of really nice office blocks, but they would remain empty because all of the mod con’s people/companies are looking for will still be missing from the city.

Also despite the lack of investment and complete neglect of Waterford by successive governments, we have a lot of things to be proud of in our small city. We have some great festivals, we have a growing tech scene that provides a lot of highly skilled well paid jobs, they may not be as numerous as other cities but they are still something we should be proud of. Imagine what we could achieve if this development is successful.

This development will not fix all of Waterford’s problems but it will certainly go a long way towards addressing a number of them. One thing I do know is that without this development Waterford is in serious trouble but with it, it might just have a fighting chance. That’s the reality. Only time will tell not speculation.

azimuth17 wrote: »
    It always amazes me for a place with nothing supposedly going on the amount of traffic arriving and leaving the city ever day at rush hour. Every evening RTE radio traffic news has a story about traffic on the Waterford city side of New Ross. Where do people think that comes from?

It’s amazing? What’s so amazing about the traffic? The City Council made a bollocks of the Quay is the one and only reason why there’s a daily traffic report on the news. The main roadway in and out of the City has been designed so badly that an Ambulance often has to go up the Quay on the wrong side of the road to avoid being stuck in traffic for 15 or 20 minutes. There’s plenty of videos that have done the rounds on Facebook and I’d bet they’re on YouTube too which highlight the problems that emergency service vehicles have trying to negotiate the traffic on the Quay. This isn’t exclusive to rush hour traffic either - I was driving up the Quay a few weeks ago on a Sunday evening at around 7 o clock in the evening and there was a trafffic jam.

Just out of curiosity, how do you suggest we attract these companies that will provide these highly skilled jobs and the people to work in them to Waterford without this development? How do we grow our population etc? An investment of 30 million isn’t going to cut it; because as another poster here has pointed out that might just about get us another city square or a couple of really nice office blocks, but they would remain empty because all of the mod con’s people/companies are looking for will still be missing from the city.

Also despite the lack of investment and complete neglect of Waterford by successive governments, we have a lot of things to be proud of in our small city. We have some great festivals, we have a growing tech scene that provides a lot of highly skilled well paid jobs, they may not be as numerous as other cities but they are still something we should be proud of. Imagine what we could achieve if this development is successful.

This development will not fix all of Waterford’s problems but it will certainly go a long way towards addressing a number of them. One thing I do know is that without this development Waterford is in serious trouble but with it, it might just have a fighting chance. That’s the reality. Only time will tell not speculation.

The IDA are responsible for attracting companies to Waterford and we lose out on investment for a number of reasons. The lack of University status is a very easy one to start with. Galway, Cork, Limerick and Dublin land big investment deals with large companies because they’ve got universities in their city. Foreign companies see universities as a major plus and probably a number one requirement when planning to invest in a particular area because highly educated and skillful people are at their disposal and until WIT becomes a university we will always lag behind. To answer your question, I don’t know how to attract more jobs to the city - without being smart with you, it isn’t my job to think of these ideas. It’s the IDA and the City Council’s responsibility.

I’m not for one second arguing the fact that Waterford has some great companies and highly skilled jobs and highly skilled people - the problem is that there’s not near enough of them on offer. In my original post, I mentioned a friend that was looking for a job in Waterford and in 18 months only one position became available for an accountant. That’s a shocking state of affairs whatever way you dress it up. Yeah, Waterford has lots of tech companies but these are all SMEs with a very small, but undoubtedly skilled and educated, workforce. I haven’t got a clue of the actual figure but I would hazard a guess that the biggest tech company in Waterford has a workforce of less than 50. In any other major city in Ireland that figure would be twenty times bigger.

Look, I know I’m coming across as being negative and talking down the City. That’s not my intention at all. I’m simply trying to highlight the fact that this development won’t be the big savior and gravy train that people suspect it will be. I hope it will be and I would love to be proven wrong further down the line. Time will tell I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Waterboy2014

I'm not being negative BUT...

I actually laughed out loud.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Bards

It's far easier to attract companies of scale with developments like this as they know staff will be easier to hire and relocate when they have plenty of leisure and shopping facilities for them.

It's a catch 22 and at long last one major deficit will be put right

That's true, whenever a relocation is mooted usually it's not the position that's the issue it's the location - house prices, schools, weather, shopping, leisure. Can't do a lot about weather but the rest are open to positive development.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭azimuth17

It’s amazing? What’s so amazing about the traffic? The City Council made a bollocks of the Quay is the one and only reason why there’s a daily traffic report on the news.
    You failed to read or understand my post. Its the traffic entering New Ross from Waterford every evening I meant. This must be the result of economic activity in Waterford. I have no intention of arguing with you about the merits or otherwise of the quays in Waterford. The arguments for and against have been well thrashed out. Regardless of the sensible points in your posts, and there are many, you come across as the kind of person who believes and posts that nothing positive can or will happen here. Get it into your head that very many people are busting their nuts to try and end the deficits that affect this place and at least be proud of and give credit for effort. I have met too many of our own working away who will gladly tell you that "nothing in the town boy". At least you have latterly started to refer to Waterford as "city".

• Registered Users Posts: 38 cactus jacks

The lack of University status is a very easy one to start with. Galway, Cork, Limerick and Dublin land big investment deals with large companies because they’ve got universities in their city.

I agree the lack of a university is a major problem and one of the main reasons we miss out on so much, but people have been fighting for one in Waterford for a long time and pretty much every government in the last 30 years has said there's no way we're getting one so we need to look at alternative ways of attracting these companies. I think this development will definitely help with that as it will make Waterford a much more attractive place to invest in. Maybe the TUSE if funded properly will be the answer but I doubt that alone will change our fortunes.

It’s the IDA and the City Council’s responsibility

Rob Cass has said many times that Michael Walsh and others in the council have done/are doing massive work to get this development over the line. So in fairness to them they really are trying to change the cities fortunes and attract investment. I think huge credit must be given to all involved for their efforts.

azimuth17 wrote: »
    You failed to read or understand my post. Its the traffic entering New Ross from Waterford every evening I meant. This must be the result of economic activity in Waterford. I have no intention of arguing with you about the merits or otherwise of the quays in Waterford. The arguments for and against have been well thrashed out. Regardless of the sensible points in your posts, and there are many, you come across as the kind of person who believes and posts that nothing positive can or will happen here. Get it into your head that very many people are busting their nuts to try and end the deficits that affect this place and at least be proud of and give credit for effort. I have met too many of our own working away who will gladly tell you that "nothing in the town boy". At least you have latterly started to refer to Waterford as "city".

I did read it, I fail to see your point. There’s been bad traffic out that way for years. Even in the height of the recession there was bad traffic. It’s gotten worse due to the way the quay has been messed up and has shag all to do with more jobs or increased visitors to the city which is what you seem to be suggesting. I didn’t actually say it, but there is “nothing in the town boy”. I don’t shop in Penny’s and I don’t like discount shops, phone shops or sports shops. There’s plenty of **** in the town and nothing that will attract any punters. Go in to Waterford city centre on a Saturday afternoon and walk around. Fat ones with prams and non nationals drinking cans is all you’ll see.

I did read it, I fail to see your point. There’s been bad traffic out that way for years. Even in the height of the recession there was bad traffic. It’s gotten worse due to the way the quay has been messed up and has shag all to do with more jobs or increased visitors to the city which is what you seem to be suggesting. I didn’t actually say it, but there is “nothing in the town boy”. I don’t shop in Penny’s and I don’t like discount shops, phone shops or sports shops. There’s plenty of **** in the town and nothing that will attract any punters. Go in to Waterford city centre on a Saturday afternoon and walk around. Fat ones with prams and non nationals drinking cans is all you’ll see.

Sooo what you are saying is that we need to build a massive retail development in the centre of town to fill the void that you just explained in your post?

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Teebor15

Deiseen wrote: »
    Sooo what you are saying is that we need to build a massive retail development in the centre of town to fill the void that you just explained in your post?

Just let him off...he is spouting so much now that he is arguing with himself!

Deiseen wrote: »

Where did I say build a massive retail development in the centre of town? I haven’t said that anywhere, not once. Try not to twist my words to suit yourself.

• Advertisement

Where did I say build a massive retail development in the centre of town? I haven’t said that anywhere, not once. Try not to twist my words to suit yourself.

Sorry, I thought your post was complaining about the lack of decent retail in town.

Oh wait.... it was!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement