Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€300M Investment into Waterford City

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Deiseen wrote: »
    Sorry, I thought your post was complaining about the lack of decent retail in town.

Oh wait.... it was!!

Some City traders/retailers even moan about winterval......something that brings additional footfall to the ‘town/city’......so can only imagine whAt they must think of the proposed north quays. An extra 5,000 punters wandering around the streets won’t all spend bit a certain percentage will do more than just window shop....not sure what sustained increase footfall the north quays might bring but I think any increase has to be welcomed. A lot of people have this myoptic view/make lazy assumptions that everyone thinks like them......too much self reference like (de)-motivator. He relays anecdotes to this forum based on his own narrow view of what he sees and how he and probably a small circle of like minded friends/acquaintances think an urban area should develop and then extrapolates this onto the wider population.....?

A bit like how the Dublin taxi driver has all the answers to the capitals traffic woes as well as the broader issues in society...!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Motivator

Road-Hog wrote: »
    Some City traders/retailers even moan about winterval......something that brings additional footfall to the ‘town/city’......so can only imagine whAt they must think of the proposed north quays. An extra 5,000 punters wandering around the streets won’t all spend bit a certain percentage will do more than just window shop....not sure what sustained increase footfall the north quays might bring but I think any increase has to be welcomed. A lot of people have this myoptic view/make lazy assumptions that everyone thinks like them......too much self reference like (de)-motivator. He relays anecdotes to this forum based on his own narrow view of what he sees and how he and probably a small circle of like minded friends/acquaintances think an urban area should develop and then extrapolates this onto the wider population.....?

A bit like how the Dublin taxi driver has all the answers to the capitals traffic woes as well as the broader issues in society...!

I’m much happier living in the real world than believing everything that the City Council comes out and says. They sat on their holes for 10 years and did nothing only raise rates which drove already struggling business out of business. Their only action for years was to set up roadworks every few months in the city. Now they come out with this audacious proposed development and the uneducated halfwits in Waterford are lapping it up. Dream on lads. Adios.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭azimuth17

Motivator wrote: »
    I did read it, I fail to see your point. There’s been bad traffic out that way for years. Even in the height of the recession there was bad traffic. It’s gotten worse due to the way the quay has been messed up and has shag all to do with more jobs or increased visitors to the city which is what you seem to be suggesting.
    I was someway sympathetic to Mr Motivator, but when he cannot distinguish between rush hour traffic from Waterford causing a large jam every evening as it enters New Ross (15 miles away) as evidence of some economic vitality in Waterford, and traffic on our quays then i begin to worry about his bona fides. Another lurker from foreign parts. No one is saying that we don't have problems, but we are trying to work out of them. Why would anyone knock that effort to end known deficits?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

I’m much happier living in the real world than believing everything that the City Council comes out and says. They sat on their holes for 10 years and did nothing only raise rates which drove already struggling business out of business. Their only action for years was to set up roadworks every few months in the city. Now they come out with this audacious proposed development and the uneducated halfwits in Waterford are lapping it up. Dream on lads. Adios.

Relax boy . Ya said a while back you weren't being negative but realistic but when people offer different opinion than yours you start calling them uneducated halfwits. If you were being realistic surely you realise not everyone has same opinion. This is positive for Waterford and maybe it is happening ten or 15 years too late but don't be bitter because it didn't happen when you were still living here. Hopefully it will make the future of Waterford better

azimuth17 wrote: »
    I was someway sympathetic to Mr Motivator, but when he cannot distinguish between rush hour traffic from Waterford causing a large jam every evening as it enters New Ross (15 miles away) as evidence of some economic vitality in Waterford, and traffic on our quays then i begin to worry about his bona fides. Another lurker from foreign parts. No one is saying that we don't have problems, but we are trying to work out of them. Why would anyone knock that effort to end known deficits?

When someone resorts to name calling sarcasm and dismissiveness its time to start ignoring them. He kept a lid on it up until now but the masked slipped with his last post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Deiseen

Road-Hog wrote: »
    When someone resorts to name calling sarcasm and dismissiveness its time to start ignoring them. He kept a lid on it up until now but the masked slipped with his last post.

I love these lads that move away and then think their superior. It's only cork like for feck sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭914

They sat on their holes for 10 years and did nothing only raise rates which drove already struggling business out of business. .

Are you ignoring the fact that we were in the depths of a recession for those 10 years where Waterford was hammered and had little or no government support?

While also ignoring the development of the viking triangle, ensuring we kept some part of Waterford Crystal and moving the tourist centre into the city centre.

Just recently completing a €20 milliom redevelopment of the city centre?

Realising we couldn't survive on just waterford crystal and manufacturing, the council decided to explore other ways in how Waterford could be successful, exploring our history and promoting us a tourist destination, creating of the greenway to attract cycling/fitness tourists.

To say the council has done nothing is just silly. To assess all this we also can not just assess the city but the county as a whole.

Water improvement works ensure we have a number of blue flag beaches, redevelopment of Gratton square dungarvan. Taking over control of mount congreve.

Realising we are behind on retail and look to be very close on securing the largest fdi investment the country has seen outside of dublin.

Looks like they just "sat on their holes as you say" allowing waterford to fall further behind. Open your eyes buddy and embrace some positivity

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

I did read it, I fail to see your point. There’s been bad traffic out that way for years. Even in the height of the recession there was bad traffic. It’s gotten worse due to the way the quay has been messed up and has shag all to do with more jobs or increased visitors to the city which is what you seem to be suggesting. I didn’t actually say it, but there is “nothing in the town boy”. I don’t shop in Penny’s and I don’t like discount shops, phone shops or sports shops. There’s plenty of **** in the town and nothing that will attract any punters. Go in to Waterford city centre on a Saturday afternoon and walk around. Fat ones with prams and non nationals drinking cans is all you’ll see.

I see the issues on the quay myself everyday i travel it but its not all down to the new design of it. From my experience iv noticed the real issues are the following, the ferrybank side backs up due to people not being able to use the roundabout correctly at the train station.. The schools by the park cause back up by the tower.. The council put the traffic lights down by the plaza on flashing amber to help any back up which to be fair has helped. Im not a fan of the layout of the quay as it does create problems for ambulances and the likes but to say it creates big issue's is not true.

The traffic in New Ross is mostly down to trucks travelling the quays there and not commuters from travelling between Waterford and New Ross.

There is nowt all wrong with Penny's if there was it wouldn't be thriving like it is all over the country. There are plenty of towns and cities in Ireland which have multiple discount stores so its not unique to Waterford.

I dont know what part of Waterford you seem to be going to if all you see is fat ones and foreigners. I see a busy town which is clean, has good people, plenty of shops, loads to do its a place im proud to call home and it is a shame you have such a small minded view it.

Deiseen wrote: »
    I love these lads that move away and then think their superior. It's only cork like for feck sake.

He probably has the slight ‘cork accent’ too like lots who live down there acquire so that they don’t stick out too much as a ‘blaa’😀😀

alta stare wrote: »
    I see the issues on the quay myself everyday i travel it but its not all down to the new design of it. From my experience iv noticed the real issues are the following, the ferrybank side backs up due to people not being able to use the roundabout correctly at the train station.. The schools by the park cause back up by the tower.. The council put the traffic lights down by the plaza on flashing amber to help any back up which to be fair has helped. Im not a fan of the layout of the quay as it does create problems for ambulances and the likes but to say it creates big issue's is not true.

Fully agree with this. Everyone seems to have amnesia regarding the Quay.

Even when it had four lanes traffic was at a stand still on the Quay. The inner lane was mainly used by people abandoning their cars, it never worked as four lanes or a dual carriageway, at least now it is far more pedestrian friendly due to wider foothpaths.

Before the outter ring road and bypass, I remember traffic stretching from the bridge hotel back as far past as WIT.

From bridge street back as far as keanes road.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

A being true does not mean B is false.

What has this got to do with anything.

Due to an amazing summer retail took a hit as people hit the coast as oppossed to hitting towns.

Everyone has agreed at some point that waterford has an issue with disposal income.

The north quays/micheal st developments will offer a greater shopping experience in Waterford hence attracting people from outside waterford to come and shop here while also preventing those who have disposal incoming spinning up the m9/n25 for a better shopping experience.

914 wrote: »

Due to an amazing summer retail took a hit as people hit the coast as oppossed to hitting towns.

Everyone has agreed at some point that waterford has an issue with disposal income.

The north quays/micheal st developments will offer a greater shopping experience in Waterford hence attracting people from outside waterford to come and shop here while also preventing those who have disposal incoming spinning up the m9/n25 for a better shopping experience.

As I said above. Retailers etc in city Centre have been know to complain about winterval and how it
    Had impact on their turnover, they seem to always put on the poor mouth.

I bet a very wet summer would have made them express the same views.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

I don't think it will. It will only create greater issues for the retailers.
    People will only have so much disposable income regardless!

Traffic issues need to be dealt with. There is no incentive to travel
    to Waterford to shop when you can get the bus/train to Dublin
    where you are dropped in the city centre or you can catch a train to Dundrum!

More people appear to be shopping in the centres outside of the city
    such as the Outer Ring Roads! And I would suggest that the ease of
    parking is drawing people to these centres.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭engiweirdo

Actuallt Id say the main selling point of NQ if they can get Irish Rail on board is the ability for anyone outside the commuter belt to avoid Dublin altogether. It's no picnic tbh spending 2+ hours on a bus/train to Dublin and then navigating crowded streets/crowded public transport to reach your destination of choice. Whether the disposable cash is there outaide the commuter belt is the question.

The New development will have a train and bus drop off right on its door step.....along with a significant amount of car Parking within.....again the whole basis/model of the development is (flawed as it appears to many) is that it will not be dependent solely on the indigenous population.....it will attract and ‘dam’ the leakage of the region to Mahon pt/dundrum/Kildare village etc, it would be comforting to get some stats etc from the developer on how their developments in other countries have or are performing and how they have impacted on the local economy.

Re parking pt. if shoppers are using the out of town centres more and more as you say then why Are the car parks on the quay almost always full or close to it....?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Are you seriously suggesting there is an incentive to travel to Dublin to shop?? Any person who does such a thing needs their head examined. For some reason people think just because they arent in their home town shopping they will get a deal in the exact same store a store they actually have in their home town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

You'd have to laugh at the exiles who left the barren wastelands of Waterford and set up new lives in the utopias of Cork and Dublin,their eyes are agaze with these lands of wonder there's no way the Deise could ever possibly match these magnificent cities!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭azimuth17

Another lurker? Nothing will ever work here etc. Change nothing . Attempt nothing. All the while failing to understand the difference between convenience and big box shopping which is very heavily represented in Waterford city suburbs, (i think from City Dev Plan over twice the floor space of any other urban area in the south east) and comparison shopping for higher order goods, which should be in the city centre, but is not adequately developed. Hence the Michael Street and North Quays proposals which hope to retain/regain the leakage in comparison spending which is currently leaving Waterford and its environs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭somahoney74

In fairness your talking absolute ****e!!

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Teebor15

In fairness your talking absolute ****e!!

He's a troll...at it for years!

Teebor15 wrote: »
    He's a troll...at it for years!

Can't believe he's still getting bites! No wonder Waterford has such a bad name with fellas like this living in Dublin and making us all look like total eejits!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Motivator

You'd have to laugh at the exiles who left the barren wastelands of Waterford and set up new lives in the utopias of Cork and Dublin,their eyes are agaze with these lands of wonder there's no way the Deise could ever possibly match these magnificent cities!

Laugh away, all earning more money than you.

Don't let us bring you down MK! Plenty of room up here if you're brave enough!
    You won't be looking back though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭engiweirdo

Don't let us bring you down MK! Plenty of room up here if you're brave enough!
    You won't be looking back though!
    If you just get over the small hurdle of paying some greedy baxtard €2k+ a month for the privilige of living in such a fantastic city eh?

Being from Waterford, you know loads of people who have to move away for various reasons. But All the people I know, speak very fondly Waterford (but they still see the drawbacks as we all do) and would love to return. Obviously there are advantages/disadvantages to living somewhere like Waterford over the likes of Dublin/London/Sydney so its not always an easy choice either way.

These two lads are just nasty bitter pricks and I imagine the reason why they hate Waterford so much is that they just never fit in here. Going by their posts I can see why, but they need a big bowl of cop on to blame the town for everything the way they do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Laugh away, all earning more money than you.

Im doing very well for myself kid,and i couldn't care less what you Cork lads are earning.

engiweirdo wrote: »
    If you just get over the small hurdle of paying some greedy baxtard €2k+ a month for the privilige of living in such a fantastic city eh?

I purchased during the crash! Sold a couple a few years later and made a tidy profit!
    The Waterford Mafia has the city in the state that it's in. Nothing will ever happen in
    Waterford during the remainder of my lifetime at least! A constant downward spiral!
    Same oulde heads and surnames always popping up in some shape or form.

People down there live in a fantasy world but that's all gone now!
    Waterford Crystal, Iron Foundry, The Chipboard to name but a few that have
    all ceased to exist and plenty more to add to that. We excel in mediocrity and
    that's nothing to be proud of! Look at Dublin, Cork or Galway! All thriving
    and booming with great investment in their centres.

But ye'll elect the same shower of rats to represent ye for another five years
    and get absolutely nothing for ye're perceived loyalty! And then ye'll ask why?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

Have loads of friends living and working in Dublin. All of them loved it in their 20s. Now they all hate the place and would do anything to get back to Waterford, if they could only get a job here.
    Maybe motivator and the quite fella never want to move back but then why are ye always posting on the Waterford city page. I don't post on the Wexford, Carlow, Dublin or cork pages as I don't live there and never want to.
    A bitterness comes across in yere posts and that's a bit sad really.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement