Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€300M Investment into Waterford City

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Deiseen

hardybuck wrote: »
    Thank you very much, however I must reiterate that I'm trying to steer this thread away from quite negative posting, much of which seems to have been directed at the posters rather than the posts.

To round this off, it appears that this Saudi company has it's own retail interests which it hopes to include in the development.

I do not have any knowledge of what the strategy is to fill the office space, and I'd also love to know more about the residential elements to this proposed development.

WRT the office space, Rob has said they are in discussions with some big names.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Deiseen wrote: »
    WRT the office space, Rob has said they are in discussions with some big names.

Jesus, if they do pull this off, it will be some shot in the arm for Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Deiseen

fricatus wrote: »

Just need that government money now.

Might be wise to email our TD's and even the Taoiseach and Finance Minister maybe. Even TD's from Wexford/KK/Tipp. Email everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Saw elsewhere in the Sunday papers that Marks & Spencer are looking for locations in Waterford.

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/347106/marks-spencer-about-to-agree-new-store-location-for-limerick.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭engiweirdo

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Saw elsewhere in the Sunday papers that Marks & Spencer are looking for locations in Waterford.

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/347106/marks-spencer-about-to-agree-new-store-location-for-limerick.html
    Fail to see the obsession with M&S tbh lads. Apart from a few sweets and nice desserts it's all just overpiced versions of the same stuff you'd get anywhere. Almost exclusively imported from UK too, at least in Ardkeen Stores it's expensive yeah but they support local vendors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

engiweirdo wrote: »
    Fail to see the obsession with M&S tbh lads. Apart from a few sweets and nice desserts it's all just overpiced versions of the same stuff you'd get anywhere. Almost exclusively imported from UK too, at least in Ardkeen Stores it's expensive yeah but they support local vendors.

Was in one recently. Pure crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭curmudgeonly

This combined with the Enniscorthy/New Ross bypass, which is a sleeping giant creeping up on us which very few see the significance for Waterford and it's environs.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Waterboy2014

Sure but a nook here and a cranny there is of little value when looking for significant tenants - many companies really need scale in one location and does anyone know of such that is free in the centre at the moment?

Just heard that the gubberment cash will come in two tranches.

I thought the government funds were to be delivered in 4 separate tranches: 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022? That's what is laid out in council application

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Oh right, I heard or misheard that on WLR news.

Public consultation open

http://waterfordcouncil.ie/projects/public-consultations/index.htm

This combined with the Enniscorthy/New Ross bypass, which is a sleeping giant creeping up on us which very few see the significance for Waterford and it's environs.

Very true. The New Ross bypass strictly links Kilkenny and Wexford counties, but like you allude to, the biggest beneficiary by far will be Waterford city, since it will bring so much of our hinterland closer.

• Advertisement

Shush! They'll put in a toll at Mooncoin :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭iseegirls

engiweirdo wrote: »

They do great deals at times. The wine and dine for 14euro for a bottle of wine, main, 2 sides and a starter for 2 people is very good.

Their quick microwavable food for 1 and 2 is decent, and a huge selection of oven ready meals - ranging from Indian, Chinese, pub carvery cuisine etc. Their food has a quick turnaround date, so you shop past 3pm and see plenty of discounted items.

Now you can go in there and see broccoli for 4euro, and that of course can turn you off. But if in the mood for something special, I'd rather get something in here. I wouldnt do a weekly shop though. But we need more choice here, and so an M&S is needed for a city of ours.

Very true. The New Ross bypass strictly links Kilkenny and Wexford counties, but like you allude to, the biggest beneficiary by far will be Waterford city, since it will bring so much of our hinterland closer.

It might also push on the plans for the New Ross bypass to eventually link up to the Waterford bypass which would be a good thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭engiweirdo

iseegirls wrote: »
    They do great deals at times. The wine and dine for 14euro for a bottle of wine, main, 2 sides and a starter for 2 people is very good.

Their quick microwavable food for 1 and 2 is decent, and a huge selection of oven ready meals - ranging from Indian, Chinese, pub carvery cuisine etc. Their food has a quick turnaround date, so you shop past 3pm and see plenty of discounted items.

Now you can go in there and see broccoli for 4euro, and that of course can turn you off. But if in the mood for something special, I'd rather get something in here. I wouldnt do a weekly shop though. But we need more choice here, and so an M&S is needed for a city of ours.

Used to go in there for a few bits in somewhere else I was living alright but it's definitely a "nice to have" place. Wouldn't be a dealbreaker at all. It's calmed down a bit now (prob out of no-one believing they'll ever open here) but jaysus some people were go in on at one stage you'd swear it was Michelin star in plastic tubs and we'd starve on the streets in their absence.lol

Anyway back to NQ, I'm a man of simple tastes which would be sated by a decent Mexican restaurant, a city centre KFC and maybe a Krispy Kreme/Dunkin outlet. If any/all of these are there I'll be a regular visitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Lord Derpington

To round this off, it appears that this Saudi company has it's own retail interests which it hopes to include in the development.

Some of these you would have to assume
    ttp://www.fawazalhokairfashion.com/brands/ this would mean that Waterford would become a regional shopping destination, fantastic news if it comes true.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

ttp://www.fawazalhokairfashion.com/brands/ this would mean that Waterford would become a regional shopping destination, fantastic news if it comes true.

Aldo, Banana Republic, Bershka, New Look, Clark’s, F&F, GAP, Monsoon, Topshop and Zara.

Any combination of these and Waterford would become a fantastic shopping destination. Would be a real shot in the arm for the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Aldo, Banana Republic, Bershka, New Look, Clark’s, F&F, GAP, Monsoon, Topshop and Zara.

Any combination of these and Waterford would become a fantastic shopping destination. Would be a real shot in the arm for the city.

Actually think bricks and mortar shopping has a very uncertain future.

Destination shopping is the thing - that and the cheapsters like Iceland, Lidl, Aldi etc.

It's the sagging middle of the road retailers who are in trouble from the internet (and tech sellers).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

Chiparus wrote: »
    Actually think bricks and mortar shopping has a very uncertain future.

Clothes shopping will always be a thing, there will always be a desire in people to try things on and see clothes in the flesh

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Clothes shopping will always be a thing, there will always be a desire in people to try things on and see clothes in the flesh

The trend in England has indicated otherwise, and the death of their 'highstreet' has been well documented.

But destination shopping is indeed popular. Kildare Village will valet your car etc. and it's a day out for some people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Bards

An awful lot of people have free travel and Waterford is very accessible from nearly all population centres by public transport which will drop people off right in the center... Except to see increased usage of all modes of public transport when this is operational

The trend in England has indicated otherwise, and the death of their 'highstreet' has been well documented.

But destination shopping is indeed popular. Kildare Village will valet your car etc. and it's a day out for some people.

Yeah but they are the saggy middle I mentioned, the Zara's of this world are still thriving in the UK. The problem names are legacy chains which are expensively structured, too big, slow witted with vanilla stock.
    Bards wrote: »
    An awful lot of people have free travel and Waterford is very accessible from nearly all population centres by public transport which will drop people off right in the center... Except to see increased usage of all modes of public transport when this is operational

I look forward to the first shopping express from Dublin arriving 8.30 am December 8th 2022.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,585 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

I can't imagine they own the rights to those brands in Europe though, presumably they have the Middle East/Asian franchises.

Look at this, and they have next to no stores in Europe http://www.fawazalhokairfashion.com/about-us/global-operations/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

Motivator wrote: »
    Laugh away, all earning more money than you.

That sort of comment is so vulgar, I'm embarrassed for you.

There's positives and negatives to living and working anywhere. I'm from Dublin originally and miss things about it but there's plenty of things I don't miss. I moved down here 10 years ago and for the first 5 or so years, nothing was happening in Waterford and it seemed like nothing ever would but, over the past 5 years, they have made a lot of changes to Waterford and it would appear there is plenty more to come. Don't write the place off just yet.
    alta stare wrote: »
    It might also push on the plans for the New Ross bypass to eventually link up to the Waterford bypass which would be a good thing.

Does anyone know what actually happened with those plans? I know there was talk of it a few years ago but then, I think the authorities said there was no money for it?

erica74 wrote: »
    That sort of comment is so vulgar, I'm embarrassed for you.

There's positives and negatives to living and working anywhere. I'm from Dublin originally and miss things about it but there's plenty of things I don't miss. I moved down here 10 years ago and for the first 5 or so years, nothing was happening in Waterford and it seemed like nothing ever would but, over the past 5 years, they have made a lot of changes to Waterford and it would appear there is plenty more to come. Don't write the place off just yet.

Does anyone know what actually happened with those plans? I know there was talk of it a few years ago but then, I think the authorities said there was no money for it?

Its on the long finger as is the new road to Rosslare from the Enniscorthy bypass. As far as i know the New Ross bypass is being made ready at Glenmore that if they do go ahead with it that it wont be a massive job to redirect it.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Lord Derpington

I can't imagine they own the rights to those brands in Europe though, presumably they have the Middle East/Asian franchises.

Look at this, and they have next to no stores in Europe http://www.fawazalhokairfashion.com/about-us/global-operations/

You look to correct, although the holding of such a large quantity of franchises elsewhere may be enough to influence setup here.
    It does look as though they own a Spanish Company called "Blanco" which I must admit I've never heard of and are in talks with Aldo and Monsoon.
    Source: https://ww.fashionnetwork.com/news/Al-Hokair-reportedly-finalizing-deal-for-first-business-in-Europe,374373.html.

Looks to be a good indication that they very keen on European retail expansion. By the time the works on this venture are complete, they could have quite a substantial portfolio here.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭rekdtangle

Tony Kirwan has been appointed to begin demolition works for the Micheal St development. Good to see progress there too.

If the carpark is being levelled presumably a replacement is being built first.

I very much doubt that. I can't think of any reason why a developer would do that unless it was a legal obligation.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mickmackmcgoo

Isn't the car park staying as part of the development?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement