Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€300M Investment into Waterford City

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Hoffmans wrote: »
    If this "investment" more like peanuts for vultures feeding on he last bits of carcass left around the country,
    Its a bailout for a Saudi company in trouble and all possibility it could come to a halt mid build and the taxpayer foot the bill to complete the project which will have rocketed to 900 million by then, sound familiar?

Yes. You are dead right.....off with these Saudi chancers. They think they can 'sell beer to the Irish'. How dare they

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

If this "investment" more like peanuts for vultures feeding on he last bits of carcass left around the country,
    Its a bailout for a Saudi company in trouble and all possibility it could come to a halt mid build and the taxpayer foot the bill to complete the project which will have rocketed to 900 million by then, sound familiar?

Literally any project can stop half way...this is a well experienced, well funded with major track record proposing investment..+ as far as we can guess, money is coming from non Irish sources and banks so it doesn't really get much better, unless a government or local mystery billionaire was funding it and even govt has limits, see that cinema in Galway.
    These investors are far from the vulture fund crowds you mention but i doubt know what are, its like the PBP rubbish often trotted out,a lot of rhetoric,like the other nonsense posted here about govt should put 50m into housing instead...like that 50 would be even considered without this outside investment.I'm positive on it anyway, hopefully as said before we'll see action sooner rather than later, I'd be happier then.

Just looking back there, it was actually yourself Hoffman,who said the govt should give the millions to hospital (not housing as I mentioned in my previous )instead of facilitating this 300m private investment....you lose all credibility with your negative comments when you can't understand...No private investment means no extra money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Deiseen

If this "investment"   more like peanuts for vultures feeding on he last bits of carcass left around  the country,
    Plenty of Irish Based developments that stopped mid-way when the country went bust. Going by your logic then we shouldn't build anything in case the company goes tits up mid way.
    I'm skeptical about this whole thing, I'm in a bit of "I'll believe it when I see it fully built" kind of stance, but I'm still extremely positive and optimistic about it. I don't understand how any true Waterford person could be any different about something that will literally lift our city from the dirt and bring it on a level playing field with the rest of the cities. 
    If you want to wallow in negativity and hope that Waterford under performs just so you can carry on giving out about everything then that's your issue but don't try to dampen everyone else's optimism unless its with some genuine constructive conversation. 
    Your issue here seems to be more about what country the money is coming from, I'm not a huge fan of the Saudis either but this should be embraced to the fullest extent as it is good for Waterford, and at the end of the day that's all that really matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Deiseen

If this "investment"   more like peanuts for vultures feeding on he last bits of carcass left around  the country,
    Plenty of Irish Based developments that stopped mid-way when the country went bust. Going by your logic then we shouldn't build anything in case the company goes tits up mid way.
    I'm skeptical about this whole thing, I'm in a bit of "I'll believe it when I see it fully built" kind of stance, but I'm still extremely positive and optimistic about it. I don't understand how any true Waterford person could be any different about something that will literally lift our city from the dirt and bring it on a level playing field with the rest of the cities. 
    If you want to wallow in negativity and hope that Waterford under performs just so you can carry on giving out about everything then that's your issue but don't try to dampen everyone else's optimism unless its with some genuine constructive conversation. 
    Your issue here seems to be more about what country the money is coming from, I'm not a huge fan of the Saudis either but this should be embraced to the fullest extent as it is good for Waterford, and at the end of the day that's all that really matters.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I know expressed opinions and free thinking are central planks of a democracy but some people really do abuse the privilege

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭fuzzy dunlop

Great interview on WLR with Seamus Walsh who bought the Ardree. His  "Team Waterford" idea hits the nail on the head because I have been saying it for a long time that we are not very politically savvy in Waterford.

http://www.wlrfm.com/shows/4-deise-today/4741-listen-seamus-walsh-who-has-bought-the-ard-ri-speaks-exclusively-to-eamon-keane-on-deise-today.html

I have seen on this forum people say that they are going to vote John Halligan because "he got me mother a house". I saw some guy on the paper doing something similar for Brendan Keneally. This frankly is a wasted vote and if you vote for this reason then you are a cheap date. So expected to be treated like a cheap date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

I have seen on this forum people say that they are going to vote John Halligan because "he got me mother a house".

He put his own Mother out to allow them in! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 38,359 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

knw its nothing to do with this development but Supermacs are opening a drive thru resteraunt on the cork road in the former premises of an old tile store just behind PC world

Mcdonalds and Rockin Joes will not be happy i imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Mcdonalds and Rockin Joes will not be happy i imagine

nothing like a bit of competition.

• Advertisement

Great to see ad in the Munster express that council putting tender out to do the core drill and investigations preliminary stuff in preparation for pedestrian bridge and other stuff, there'll be many boxes to be ticked, progress being made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

We are in bad need of a Pedestrian bridge. Its 2017 and I cannot believe we don't have a bridge just for pedestrians .

We are in bad need of a Pedestrian bridge. Its 2017 and I cannot believe we don't have a bridge just for pedestrians.

In more need of a second bridge to cater for both traffic and pedestrians!
    Unlikely though as it would impact on the toll bridge! :(

In more need of a second bridge to cater for both traffic and pedestrians!
    Unlikely though as it would impact on the toll bridge! :(

I'd disagree on that, we have been over this before,pedestrian bridge linking quays more important and funding is the issue, not toll bridge,

Max Powers wrote: »
    I'd disagree on that, we have been over this before,pedestrian bridge linking quays more important and funding is the issue, not toll bridge,

What would the cost difference be between both structures?

Surely with the new developments being suggested for the North Quays we
    need a proper bridge to cater for increased volumes of traffic?

I'm not against a pedestrian bridge but why only go halfway?

There is no way a road bridge will be built, the cost would be about 4 or 5 times as great due to load bearing design and materials, and the knock on engineering for sinking deep piers in the riverbed. A pedestrian bridge could be made of lightweight materials a road bridge of concrete and steel obviously would clock in at thousands of tonnes. Plus you'd have to redesign the point that the road bridge joins the south quay and extend the road from the Ferrybank DC to the exit point on the north quay

The span would need to be about 225 meters, here is the overview of Rice Bridge (which obviously being opening had additional construction costs) https://structurae.net/structures/brother-edmund-ignatius-rice-bridge

I'm pretty sure it was yourself we talked before,i believe the suggestion was a bridge at tower hotel.......we have 2 fine vehicle bridges, one under used.to suggest another vehicle bridge in city centre is lunacy, what's the point when there is one a couple of hundred metres down the quay.another vehicle bridge out by Ballygunner or out that way yeah , is a vehicle bridge out that way more important than pedestrian (public transport capability great too if possible) linking south and north, not a chance.

It's not about going half way, its about sensible choices and money.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Where would you propose we put a third bridge, the whole N Quays development will be accessible via the purposed pedestrian bridge which will link directly to the city centre.

I think the whole mentioning the toll bridge and vehicle bridge won't be built was some sort of conspiracy type suggestion, like the council are in league with the toll operators...this is just nonsense, not thought out and gonna happen when you throw out such comments consistently.

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Where would you propose we put a third bridge, the whole N Quays development will be accessible via the purposed pedestrian bridge which will link directly to the city centre.

My previous suggestion was from the Tower Hotel but in hind sight it probably wouldn't have worked!
    I just hope that this bridge will be wide enough, not just a token effort!

• Advertisement

My previous suggestion was from the Tower Hotel but in hind sight it probably wouldn't have worked!
    I just hope that this bridge will be wide enough, not just a token effort!

They mentioned, ideally they want pedestrian with some form of shuttle between north quays and Michael street, probably big wish but would be fantastic of worked out like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Suryavarman

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Very common statement on boards, and its sad to see. It's very obvious, to me anyway, that the (not so) free market has actually failed in regards our housing needs.

You are correct when you say "not so free market". We have some of the most strict planning laws in the developed world, and they are also the most expensive to comply with. We also have dual aspect ratio regulations and a mountain of other regulations that drive up the cost of housing.

We need Government oversight of construction and provision of housing for the worst off in society. It's completely disingenuous to say that our current problems are the result of a free market in housing. Admittedly we need the Government to do a lot more in some areas, but we also need the Government to step back and do a lot less in other areas. Blaming everything on the free market reveals a pretty poor knowledge of the current housing market and more than a bit of bias on your side..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

You are correct when you say "not so free market". We have some of the most strict planning laws in the developed world, and they are also the most expensive to comply with. We also have dual aspect ratio regulations and a mountain of other regulations that drive up the cost of housing.

We need Government oversight of construction and provision of housing for the worst off in society. It's completely disingenuous to say that our current problems are the result of a free market in housing. Admittedly we need the Government to do a lot more in some areas, but we also need the Government to step back and do a lot less in other areas. Blaming everything on the free market reveals a pretty poor knowledge of the current housing market and more than a bit of bias on your side..

Off topic again....this thread is not about solving the nations housing crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,394 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

It of course is a multitude of failures but the failures of the free-for-all market are well documented, but this probably is a debate for another thread

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    It of course is a multitude of failures but the failures of the free-for-all market are well documented, but this probably is a debate for another thread

Wanderer, you might not be wrong but you write the same or similar stuff about capitalism time and time again, and then say probably not suitable for this thread, might be time to actually start a thread on it.No offence intended but it has no place in this thread or bull about housing...whoever keeps bringing that up, maybe start that thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭invalid

If you look at the development plan you will see the third crossing is proposed to start at Maypark Lane and cross the river into cat land there.

The idea of the crossing at the tower looks great for symmetry but sucks for traffic management. It was all planned out over 12 years ago with the Waterford City PLUTS report.

I was thinking where is cat land, then the penny dropped.

The proposed road into Maypark will be a disaster should be come to fruition. Imagine the trucks thundering into the old Ardkeen roundabout and then crawling along the old section of the ring road during peak hours traffic?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

If there were a new bridge built there, I'd imagine other associated work/upgrades on roads it connects to would be carried out too.

JohnC. wrote: »
    If there were a new bridge built there, I'd imagine other associated work/upgrades on roads it connects to would be carried out too.

Find the space on google maps and come back to me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Maybe the hospital will be downgraded out of existence by the time it happens.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement