Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€300M Investment into Waterford City

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Gardner

just saw the front page of the Waterford News & Star and a huge blunder by Darren Skelton...... AGAIN!

I wouldn't be one bit surprised going by his articles over the past few months that he has a personal vendetta against John Halligan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

Gardner wrote: »
    just saw the front page of the Waterford News & Star and a huge blunder by Darren Skelton...... AGAIN!

I wouldn't be one bit surprised going by his articles over the past few months that he has a personal vendetta against John Halligan

I think a lot of people have a personal vendetta against John Halligan in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭azimuth17

Just read paper. Headline "Slap in the face for Waterford" is a direct quote from a statement by Fianna Fail TD Mary Butler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

tonc76 wrote: »
    From Cllr John Cummins FB page last night:

I’ve received many queries in relation to the North Quays funding announcement yesterday.. To reiterate what CEO Michael Walsh said at our Council budget meeting this evening, ‘the announcement is being mischaracterised in some quarters, the €6m is an initial allocation from the Urban Regeneration & Development fund & we are satisfied that we will have the funds required for 2019’ - the next tranche will come on stream in February 19’ & we’ll be working on getting certainty around the future rounds in the coming weeks at departmental level & via the NTA.

Our funding requirement for 2019 is €13m, this is due to a Q3 start rather than the Q2 start intended at the time of application, therefore the larger funding requirement is pushed out to 2020-2022. On top of the €6m we have an initial allocation of aprox €2m secured from the NTA for 2019 & €1.7m allocation from our own resources pencilled in & we will not be short for next year! It’s also good to see representatives of the developer expressing positive comments about yesterday’s announcement!

So just under €10m and more to come in February,and people are still saying this is dead in the water!

Its actually a really embarrassing front page how the editor or whoever approved it is beyond me,look at The Munster and you'll see the difference in the quality and professionalism of journalism in both papers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

azimuth17 wrote: »
    Just read paper. Headline "Slap in the face for Waterford" is a direct quote from a statement by Fianna Fail TD Mary Butler.

I'll happily take €7.35m for a slap in the face if anyone is offering.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭engiweirdo

As ever we can belueve when we see bricks and mortar come to fruition. And not till then. Been an awful lot of talk so far.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

What was the "huge blunder"?

Oh, and for clarity, yes I am Darren's brother, how about you coming clean on you connection to halligan now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

Aquos76 wrote: »
    What was the "huge blunder"?

Oh, and for clarity, yes I am Darren's brother, how about you coming clean on you connection to halligan now!

He is Kim Jong Uns brother.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Bards

Any word on the cerimonial contract signing that was slated for end of November last....

Has this now been put on hold due to the meager funding announcement from Govt?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Anyone passing by browns lane off new street. Looks like that old WIT place is being ripped apart at last. Anything to do with Michael st I wonder...?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

That's the new car park, well some of it and it's Johns Lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Waterboy2014

Has the demolition started? I know a contractor had been appointed and demolition was die to start end of November, start of December. That would be good news... at least it's some actual movement on site.

https://soundcloud.com/wlrfmwaterford/deise-today-friday-december-7-2018

Listened to John Paul Phelan on WLR last Friday and his comments about the North Wharf are seriously worrying! He basically said that there are “problems” with the development, that there was “too much commercial development” and not enough housing. It just has parish pump bulls**t written all over it. And explains why commitment was not made to the full amount. Or to put it another way in the space of a few weeks the government has gone from being right behind the development to there being problems with it.

Anyway, my point is, have heard it mentioned before of seeking other sources for the funding. Does anybody know is this a real possibility? If it is I think it is time to start looking for it. This development much happen we cannot let the government sabotage it like they sabotage all progress in Waterford.

BBM77 wrote: »
    https://soundcloud.com/wlrfmwaterford/deise-today-friday-december-7-2018

Listened to John Paul Phelan on WLR last Friday and his comments about the North Wharf are seriously worrying! He basically said that there are “problems” with the development, that there was “too much commercial development” and not enough housing. It just has parish pump bulls**t written all over it. And explains why commitment was not made to the full amount. Or to put it another way in the space of a few weeks the government has gone from being right behind the development to there being problems with it.

Anyway, my point is, have heard it mentioned before of seeking other sources for the funding. Does anybody know is this a real possibility? If it is I think it is time to start looking for it. This development much happen we cannot let the government sabotage it like they sabotage all progress in Waterford.

Does he have a point though? If there isn't enough housing, there is a risk that the place is a complete ghost town at a certain time in the evening.

If there isn't enough housing, everyone working there needs to get there from somewhere else, with other implications for transport. If there is a good mix between residential and commercial you can have a proper living space.

Does anyone know how much housing is proposed by the way?

hardybuck wrote: »
    Does he have a point though? If there isn't enough housing, there is a risk that the place is a complete ghost town at a certain time in the evening.

If there isn't enough housing, everyone working there needs to get there from somewhere else, with other implications for transport. If there is a good mix between residential and commercial you can have a proper living space.

Does anyone know how much housing is proposed by the way?

There are 200 residential units planned. But come on there is no problem with lack of housing, the site is surrounded by housing.

You see this time and time and time again ad nauseum. The government talks about developing Waterford but as soon as concrete action starts the barriers and problems start being put in the way by regional and government self-interests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The North quay will have a hotel, conference center and apartments so it's not going to just go quiet at 6 pm.

I'd ignore the passing thoughts of Phelan, Ferrybank will clearly have more life than is currently the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Waterboy2014

I've just listened to the interview now. There's a mixture of positive and negative there. I think it's a fair point that government wouldn't have given the €6million if there wasn't intention to give more... whether they give enough is another story. I also saw a tweet from Rob Cass on Twitter yesterday. Someone asked if planning was still to be lodged in January (as previously stated) and he replied "No.". Not a very reassuring answer. I'm generally fairly upbeat bit I'm starting to worry about this project.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,404 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

We need to make sure we obtain more access to the wealth created from this amazing project, as this could truly transform our city.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    We need to make sure we obtain more access to the wealth created from this amazing project, as this could truly transform our city.

Taxing them more is a great idea, they’ll jump at that. We’ll obtain wealth from the direct and indirect employment creared and the city council will benefit from rates etc. I’d imagine very little of the profits generated by the developers or retailers will be retained in the local economy.

Gavlor wrote: »
    Taxing them more is a great idea, they’ll jump at that. We’ll obtain wealth from the direct and indirect employment creared and the city council will benefit from rates etc. I’d imagine very little of the profits generated by the developers or retailers will be retained in the local economy.

we ve been doing this for decades now, its clearly not working. again, we have an over reliance on the taxation of labour, and and under reliance of the taxation of capital, and we re not the only country currently experiencing this. if fd investors are that interested in integrating into our society, they should be interested in sharing the wealth created from their investments, as it can be mutually beneficial, if done correctly. our continual encouragement of asset price inflation and low wage inflation is unsustainable and frankly dangerous, it is leading to dramatic wealth inequality. this doesnt necessarily need to be done via taxation, mechanisms such as sovereign wealth funds can be used, but in saying that, i still agree with other wealth capturing policies such as land value taxes, even the Saudis use sovereign wealth funds to try redistribute wealth

• Advertisement

I've just listened to the interview now. There's a mixture of positive and negative there. I think it's a fair point that government wouldn't have given the €6million if there wasn't intention to give more... whether they give enough is another story. I also saw a tweet from Rob Cass on Twitter yesterday. Someone asked if planning was still to be lodged in January (as previously stated) and he replied "No.". Not a very reassuring answer. I'm generally fairly upbeat bit I'm starting to worry about this project.

Absolutely, there is no financial reason why the government could not commit to the full funding over 4 or 5 years, can’t remember the period. When they come out one week giving only €6 million when they were talking about giving 50% or all the week before and another week talking about fanciful problems with the development serious alarm bells start ringing.

I really think it is time to look else where for the money or at least some of it to make up the shortfall.

BBM77 wrote: »
    There are 200 residential units planned. But come on there is no problem with lack of housing, the site is surrounded by housing.

You see this time and time and time again ad nauseum. The government talks about developing Waterford but as soon as concrete action starts the barriers and problems start being put in the way by regional and government self-interests.

200 units is fair enough alright in my opinion.

we ve been doing this for decades now, its clearly not working. again, we have an over reliance on the taxation of labour, and and under reliance of the taxation of capital, and we re not the only country currently experiencing this. if fd investors are that interested in integrating into our society, they should be interested in sharing the wealth created from their investments, as it can be mutually beneficial, if done correctly. our continual encouragement of asset price inflation and low wage inflation is unsustainable and frankly dangerous, it is leading to dramatic wealth inequality. this doesnt necessarily need to be done via taxation, mechanisms such as sovereign wealth funds can be used, but in saying that, i still agree with other wealth capturing policies such as land value taxes, even the Saudis use sovereign wealth funds to try redistribute wealth

The purpose of Capitalism is wealth inequality. I’m happy if people invest in capital projects and milk profit from it while employing locally and thereby keeping the wheels moving. It’s a lot better than hoping for a charitable bunch of investors to literally share their return on capital invested with the morons that can’t be arsed getting a job or those with a huge sense of entitlement. You bang this eutopian drum every day on here and are focusing on taxing wealth and capital. The saudis redistributing wealth is bloody hilarious!! Do some readingn on the Saudi royal families theory of social responsibility, all they are doing at the minute is debating some of the recent direct (non income) tax increases . Lol, can’t belive you’ve used them as your mecca

Gavlor wrote:
    The purpose of Capitalism is wealth inequality. I’m happy if people invest in capital projects and milk profit from it while employing locally and thereby keeping the wheels moving. It’s a lot better than hoping for a charitable bunch of investors to literally share their return on capital invested with the morons that can’t be arsed getting a job or those with a huge sense of entitlement. You bang this eutopian drum every day on here and are focusing on taxing wealth and capital. The saudis redistributing wealth is bloody hilarious!! Do some readingn on the Saudi royal families theory of social responsibility, all they are doing at the minute is debating some of the recent direct (non income) tax increases . Lol, can’t belive you’ve used them as your mecca

The neoliberal/neoclassical ideology of free market economics is in fact the utopian model, with its trickle down and rising tide nonsense, which really means increasing worker insecurity via methods such as rapid asset price inflation and low wage inflation etc... Mecca, what planet are you on? Swf are successfully used all over the world, commentators such David mcwilliams and Joe stigltz have been banging on about them for a long time, even the folks at the financial times agrees with mcwilliams

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Deiseen

The neoliberal/neoclassical ideology of free market economics is in fact the utopian model, with its trickle down and rising tide nonsense, which really means increasing worker insecurity via methods such as rapid asset price inflation and low wage inflation etc... Mecca, what planet are you on? Swf are successfully used all over the world, commentators such David mcwilliams and Joe stigltz have been banging on about them for a long time, even the folks at the financial times agrees with mcwilliams

Wanderer can you stay on topic please. I'm sure there is some other forum where you can talk about this but you drag this into every thread and it adds nothing.

Deiseen wrote:
    Wanderer can you stay on topic please. I'm sure there is some other forum where you can talk about this but you drag this into every thread and it adds nothing.

In my opinion, it is on topic, it's also my opinion that moderators should be impartial in moderation, I.e. using comments such as 'adds nothing' is a method of controlling debates and may I also add, ignorance, and before you get all upset with your bans etc, I'm very grateful that mods like yourself give up your free time in doing so, as it's an extremely important aspect of running a public forum.

This thread is about this amazing project, which if does become a reality, will truly transform our city. I apologise for my approach of communication, but I have explained before why that is. Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Deiseen

In my opinion, it is on topic, it's also my opinion that moderators should be impartial in moderation, I.e. using comments such as 'adds nothing' is a method of controlling debates and may I also add, ignorance, and before you get all upset with your bans etc, I'm very grateful that mods like yourself give up your free time in doing so, as it's an extremely important aspect of running a public forum.

This thread is about this amazing project, which if does become a reality, will truly transform our city. I apologise for my approach of communication, but I have explained before why that is. Thank you

7 likes on my post shows that I'm not the only one and I'm not a mod btw!

I agree with most of what you say and I find it interesting BUT there is a time and a place and it is most definitely NOT the Waterford City forum!!

Deiseen wrote:
    7 likes on my post shows that I'm not the only one and I'm not a mod btw!

I actually noticed this upon posting, is the problem me or you?
    Deiseen wrote:
    I agree with most of what you say and I find it interesting BUT there is a time and a place and it is most definitely NOT the Waterford City forum!!

I do believe my opinions on any topic are just as valid as anyone else's, including yours. We all want what's best for our city, this is exactly what I want to, but we all know major problems exist here. thankfully it looks like we could be turning a major corner with this project, but we need to make sure our ducks are in a row, to make this project a successful for all, including investors and ourselves of course.

I actually noticed this upon posting, is the problem me or you?

I do believe my opinions on any topic are just as valid as anyone else's, including yours. We all want what's best for our city, this is exactly what I want to, but we all know major problems exist here. thankfully it looks like we could be turning a major corner with this project, but we need to make sure our ducks are in a row, to make this project a successful for all, including investors and ourselves of course.

Imagining up a eutopian taxation policy that will never come to be is totally off topic and irrelevant to this and most other threads in which you beat that drum. Saying it often enough on here won’t make it happen.

• Advertisement

Gavlor wrote: »
    Imagining up a eutopian taxation policy that will never come to be is totally off topic and irrelevant to this and most other threads in which you beat that drum. Saying it often enough on here won’t make it happen.

again, these mechanisms dont necessarily need to be in the form of 'taxation', we also have enough utopian ideologies on this planet, including left leaning ones, these mechanisms are also not 'imagined up', as they already exist on this planet

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement