Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€300M Investment into Waterford City

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

Why footbridge for god sake?? Why not normal one for cars?? There is a real disaster in the mornings/evenings and will be much worse when north quays finished. Doesnt make any sense to me. RIP Infrastructure in Waterford

Because this would affect the profitability of the toll bridge and make it less profitable than it already is! To be fair there should be a toll on both bridges with an even greater charge on Rice Bridge. Every car should be electronically registered and those who cross the bridge should be charged respectively!

Unfortunate the WCC don't have the balls to do that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Deiseen

Because this would affect the profitability of the toll bridge and make it less profitable than it already is! To be fair there should be a toll on both bridges with an even greater charge on Rice Bridge. Every car should be electronically registered and those who cross the bridge should be charged respectively!

Can you name a council in Ireland that actually has the balls to do that?

Deiseen wrote: »
    Can you name a council in Ireland that actually has the balls to do that?

Well let's become a first so!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭914

Nice to see demolishing works continuing on the old WIT site at Browns lane

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

Bescause it would be illegal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

A toll on Rice bridge???? Jesus lad have a day off :D

kilkenny31 wrote: »

And stupid.

kilkenny31 wrote: »

Don't be ridiculous! Illegal my ball locks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Bards

Why footbridge for god sake?? Why not normal one for cars?? There is a real disaster in the mornings/evenings and will be much worse when north quays finished. Doesnt make any sense to me. RIP Infrastructure in Waterford

Imagine the traffic jams..make the present situation on the Quays look like Sunday mornings at 7am

Bards wrote: »
    Imagine the traffic jams..make the present situation on the Quays look like Sunday mornings at 7am

There is quite an amount of congestion regardless but as I suggested it would
    be done electronically like the M50.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,404 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

further taxation of the general population, particularly workers, helps society by.......

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    further taxation of the general population, particularly workers, helps society by.......

Exactly. Lets tax people into destitution, that will help our city no end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Tax people to leave, not enter! :D

Tax people to leave, not enter! :D

Except Kilkenny people :D let them pay an entrance fee and double it any time they win an All Ireland. :D its the only hope we got.

Quadruple it if they beat Waterford on the way to the trophy.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Muttley79

Tax traffic on rice bridge!i never heard such a ridiculous idea,our city is dying a death to the other four cities in Ireland,we are trying to entice people and get development into our city not drive them away

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Motivator

Was home in Waterford yesterday and wandered in around town. Couple of places closing at the end of this month due to the rent and rates. The shops in Arundel Square up in arms because the council pedestrianised that street without any consultation with local businesses. You guys think bringing business across the bridge will work? The city council should be trying to save the city centre from what they’ve done to it before they focus on their vanity project. Very sad to see the town in such a state.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Yeah, the pedestrianisation of a very sort stretch (about 80m?) of a street will be the death of the city! If the people of Waterford are unwilling to walk a few meters, maybe they don't deserve the shops. Or maybe you're just blowing it out of all proportion.

And what's all this nonsense about no consultation? That's a pure lie. There's a whole process. It didn't just suddenly happen without anyone knowing.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mickmackmcgoo

Motivator wrote:
    Was home in Waterford yesterday and wandered in around town. Couple of places closing at the end of this month due to the rent and rates. The shops in Arundel Square up in arms because the council pedestrianised that street without any consultation with local businesses. You guys think bringing business across the bridge will work? The city council should be trying to save the city centre from what they’ve done to it before they focus on their vanity project. Very sad to see the town in such a state.

Do you really think Arundel Square was better when it was a rat run for cars from the quay to ballybricken with 7 or 8 parking spaces ? It looks far better with the works done to it and much safer for pedestrians . There is plenty of parking available in the general area .

Motivator wrote: »
    The city council should be trying to save the city centre from what they’ve done to it before they focus on their vanity project. Very sad to see the town in such a state.

Yep 80 meters of pedestrian space is going to kill the city. The work the council completed in upper/lower michael st, the apple market, lady lane, viking triangle should also help with killing the city!

Come on, arundal square was a disaster before it was redeveloped. I see the tucaway cafe now have a much larger seating area outside which surely benefits their business.

If business is lacking in arundal square its due a limited small number of shops there, front of CS, alfie hales, old bank and shop beside that. Fill them and footfall will increase in the area and benefit the shops which are currently present.

Harvest festival were able to hold a stage and band there over the weekend, markets for winterval and wheel present in arundal square none of which would of happened prior to the redevelopment.

Sure lets rip it back up and put it back to two lane traffic, put back the loading bay and 6 spaces that were previously there, that should save the city. Roll eyes!

As for no consultation, thats just daft, for the urban renewal plan, months of consultation took place and changes were made to some of the plans through consultation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

The clearing of the old anco building top of newstreet is causing havoc with rodents , the building was infested, and should have been addressed before demolition

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

Don't be ridiculous! Illegal my ball locks!

For a toll to be in operation there has to be a suitable toll free alternative.

Hoffmans wrote: »
    The clearing of the old anco building top of newstreet is causing havoc with rodents , the building was infested, and should have been addressed before demolition

Can you imagine the carnage when they develop Michael Street!
    I've said it here before and I'll say it again.
    People here are living in a slum and the sooner people realise that the better!

Buildings lying desolate for years and what then does the WCC expect.
    Bury their heads in the sand and the problem will just go away.
    Didn't the same happen on Doyle Street Upper!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Deiseen

Can you imagine the carnage when they develop Michael Street!
    I've said it here before and I'll say it again.
    People here are living in a slum and the sooner people realise that the better!

Bury their heads in the sand and the problem will just go away.
    Didn't the same happen on Doyle Street Upper!

Jaysis, you are obsessed with Doyle Street.

Did ya get your hole up there once or something?

To be fair tQF is right about pest control they appear on the surface to have learned nothing. Might be one to keep an ear to the ground about (not too close of course!). When people move out rats move in.

I don't think your Mother was operating there that night but....

What I'm trying to make clear is that this is not an isolated incident.
    The same issue on The North Quays when they demolished The Flour Mills!

These buildings were owned by a private developer and then by nama, what could WCC have done?

Now the council have taken ownership of them they are demolishing them to pave the way for the micheal street development, I can't see what your issue is here.

You will find even our great captial has buildings lying desolate for years

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/landowners-sitting-on-63-unused-acres-in-city-centre-1.1950097%3fmode=amp

914 wrote: »
    These buildings were owned by a private developer and then by nama, what could WCC have done?

Now the council have taken ownership of them they are demolishing them to pave the way for the micheal street development, I can't see what your issue is here.

You will find even our great captial has buildings lying desolate for years

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/landowners-sitting-on-63-unused-acres-in-city-centre-1.1950097%3fmode=amp

Don't compare the size of Dublin towards Waterford!
    Yes there are obviously issues up here and they need to be addressed
    but Waterford should be more manageable and there are laws and fines in regard to leaving buildings lye derelict!
    Or are WCC being derelict in their duty in imposing these fines on account of who owns these properties?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

From his previous posts his wife left him and he lost his kids and friends due to it,and he blamed Waterford for it thats why he left,maybe it all happened on Doyles st who knows,hes a very sad individual and i genuinely feel sorry for him but its best to just ignore him.

• Advertisement

Don't compare the size of Dublin towards Waterford!
    Yes there are obviously issues up here and they need to be addressed
    but Waterford should be more manageable and there are laws and fines in regard to leaving buildings lye derelict!
    Or are WCC being derelict in their duty in imposing these fines on account of who owns these properties?

How should waterford be more manageable? I'm not comparing size here, I'm stating every council, city town and village has problems with desolate buildings.

Very hard to impose fines on those who own properties when they are bust? You must wait to go through a process which goes to nama then try and purchase the buildings from nama which the council has done.

By the way it is possible to compare dublin to waterford. DCC budget must be massive compared to WCC amd yet they can't see to solve their desolate buildings.

Why hasn't DCC imposed the fines you talk of maybe they are also being derelict in their duty also?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement