Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€300M Investment into Waterford City

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Do you really think Arundel Square was better when it was a rat run for cars from the quay to ballybricken with 7 or 8 parking spaces ? It looks far better with the works done to it and much safer for pedestrians . There is plenty of parking available in the general area .

Agreed. Very much safer, especially when exiting from the Peter Marks side of City Square and walking down towards Blackfriars lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭fargojones123

The main problem with Arundel Square is the vacant shops on the City Square side, it looks depressing especially when they are large buildings as well. Hopefully they will be filled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

914 wrote: »
    Why hasn't DCC imposed the fines you talk of maybe they are also being derelict in their duty also?

Very true indeed. Just out of idle curiosity who own The Maryland and is that in use in any shape or form?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭914

Very true indeed. Just out of idle curiosity who own The Maryland and is that in use in any shape or form?

Thats is private ownership (can't remember the chaps name but he has owned it for donkeys years) actually is it Vincent O Toole? and could possible still be running as a business somehow (just accommodation)!

Don't see what the maryland has to do with a €300 million euro investment into Waterford. Think we need to get back on topic

Great to see that Michael Street is being dug up again so soon after in was finished! Does anyone know what they're doing?

• Advertisement

Great to see that Michael Street is being dug up again so soon after in was finished! Does anyone know what they're doing?

Where abouts on Michael street?

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭IanVW

914 wrote: »
    Where abouts on Michael street?

Just drove up there didnt see anything?

Could be a case they were removing old fittings, I know there were one or two jobs left to finish off, removing old light poles and the likes so might have been something small

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

IanVW wrote: »
    Just drove up there didnt see anything?

Drove up there myself and seen nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

alta stare wrote: »
    Drove up there myself and seen nothing.

Saw a big dirty hole (non human) outside TRH....! looks like traffic lights or electrical issue......lots of shovels being breast fed and guys looking into the hole scratching hard hats...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Road-Hog wrote: »
    Saw a big dirty hole (non human) outside TRH....! looks like traffic lights or electrical issue......lots of shovels being breast fed and guys looking into the hole scratching hard hats...

Was it dug up or is it an access shore?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

There's two fairly substantial holes dug, either side of the road. There were a couple of ESB vans there some of the times I passed too, in addition to the contractor, so maybe something to do with them.

JohnC. wrote: »
    There's two fairly substantial holes dug, either side of the road. There were a couple of ESB vans there some of the times I passed too, in addition to the contractor, so maybe something to do with them.

Issue with electricity getting to the AIB bank. Emergency repair work on the cabling.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭ArtVandelay76

I see the multi storey car park on new st. is closed until further notice and the old WIT building has been demolished.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

It is noticeable that robcass78 has not posted for a couple of months.

The quiet is a bit disconcerting considering all that is happening both within the country and next door.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭fargojones123

According to the Munster Express, the council won't go ahead with the North Quays unless the Government give them the €20 million in funding they asked

The quiet is a bit disconcerting considering all that is happening both within the country and next door.

Did you really believe that anything was going to happen on the NQ?

Pipe dreams is all they were, a figment of someone's imagination! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Irishlad2014

Did you really believe that anything was going to happen on the NQ?

Pipe dreams is all they were, a figment of someone's imagination! :eek:
    He just posted on twitter 5 hours ago "North Quays, like any other development, in any part of world, isn't just solely dependent on Government funding; other funds there. 144m in benefits a yr back to exchequer once North Quays starts is simple cashflow: start, bring in the 144m to state, then some comes to Council."

He just posted on twitter 5 hours ago "North Quays, like any other development, in any part of world, isn't just solely dependent on Government funding; other funds there. 144m in benefits a yr back to exchequer once North Quays starts is simple cashflow: start, bring in the 144m to state, then some comes to Council."

Always the optimist! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Muttley79

Is it just me or is the whole project gone severely quiet lately with no announcements in the local media about this since the government has short changed Waterford in giving out 6 million of the 20 million needed.if this was other cities in Ireland it would well be on its way by now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

What Walsh said and this is a very rough paraphrasing - "we will not put the council into debt in the hope of reimbursement from the government dept at a later date". So they are waiting on Dublin to get their act together.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Always the optimist! :D

Always the pessimist!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

Muttley79 wrote: »
    Is it just me or is the whole project gone severely quiet lately with no announcements in the local media about this since the government has short changed Waterford in giving out 6 million of the 20 million needed.if this was other cities in Ireland it would well be on its way by now

Things like this always go quite around Christmas/New Year. Don’t think there is much to read into that. It is not like there is no movment, the site up on Newgate St is being cleared now. Things are probably happening behind the scenes as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

BBM77 wrote: »
    Things like this always go quite around Christmas/New Year. Don’t think there is much to read into that. It is not like there is no movment, the site up on Newgate St is being cleared now. Things are probably happening behind the scenes as well.

True.the money thing is worrying though, I think the council may need to think about what they want and need to make it happen. Are the access works planned at eastern end essential now, probably not with existing ferrybank lights junction and upgraded access point by ard-ri too. Essentially, get the bridge started Asap and train station. Newgate street is ready to go once demolition takes place and road upgraded by old WIT art building (now gone I see).

iseegirls wrote: »
    Always the pessimist!

Always the realist!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Max Powers wrote: »
    True.the money thing is worrying though, I think the council may need to think about what they want and need to make it happen. Are the access works planned at eastern end essential now, probably not with existing ferrybank lights junction and upgraded access point by ard-ri too. Essentially, get the bridge started Asap and train station. Newgate street is ready to go once demolition takes place and road upgraded by old WIT art building (now gone I see).

Does anyone think that the train station could be at risk of being closed in next 30/40 years and that moving it could be a complete waste of money......I’ve no figures or stats to hand to back this up but I would think that train usage figures are at best static year on year and more than likely declining......but maybe the development would turn this around and generate increased passengers eager to come to w’ford To shop etc.....if proposed development does happen

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Does anyone think that the train station could be at risk of being closed in next 30/40 years and that moving it could be a complete waste of money......I’ve no figures or stats to hand to back this up but I would think that train usage figures are at best static year on year and more than likely declining......but maybe the development would turn this around and generate increased passengers eager to come to w’ford To shop etc.....if proposed development does happen

Irish rail are currently holding an open recruitment of train drivers for the first time ever as they need more drivers due to the an expanded service and increased passenger numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

Passenger numbers are higher than ever right now and predicted to rise by the company. A different type of daily passenger leaving Waterford in students and workers.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Mulbert

Moving the train station just about anywhere other than were it is currently would be a great idea, even if it went the opposite direction to Sallypark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Waterboy2014

Looks like the demolition work for Michael Street Shopping Centre is moving along nicely. I'm thinking that New Street car park is closing to allow for demolition of that building as well. Also, WCCC are holding a public consultation on the new bridge and consultations on the new road layout and rock stabilisation works finished in late December. Bridge plans are also lodged with ABP... All moving along nicely.

However, I find it worrying that plans for NQs have now been delayed until May 2019, 5 months later than initially thought. Time will tell but that part of it is moving quite slowly. Is this delay in response to the Gov't and their pitiful investment announcement in November or is it a separate issue?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement