Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€300M Investment into Waterford City

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Bards wrote: »
    That's the money we were promised this Month after the measly 6m we got in the first tranche

How do figure that? I didn't hear any 16m promises, my understanding is a portion of the money due to be announced in march its coming from various sources including the dept of transport, other areas too. I'm pretty sure it wasn't a north quay only announcement but multiple projects, like that motorway to Derry they suspended too I'd guess. This children's hospital is going to affect things but most departments are chipping in about 3-5 million, hardly end of the world stuff when you think about their budgets, doesn't help matters either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Bards

Max Powers wrote: »
    That's the money we were promised this Month after the measly 6m we got in the first tranche

How do figure that? I didn't hear any 16m promises, my understanding is a portion of the money due to be announced in march its coming from various sources including the dept of transport, other areas too. I'm pretty sure it wasn't a north quay only announcement but multiple projects, like that motorway to Derry they suspended too I'd guess. This children's hospital is going to affect things but most departments are chipping in about 3-5 million, hardly end of the world stuff when you think about their budgets, doesn't help matters either.
    From independent.ie

the operation and a draw down of expenditure of Ireland 2040 regeneration funds”, will all see spending diverted, according to Mr Donohoe.

From independent.ie

the operation and a draw down of expenditure of Ireland 2040 regeneration funds”, will all see spending diverted, according to Mr Donohoe.

I think there will still be money announced in march, obviously that doesn't improve the situation and how much money and where is still the question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

I think there will still be money announced in march, obviously that doesn't improve the situation and how much money and where is still the question.

Max i think its time to stop clutching at them straws,as much as we all hoped it would happen its looking very unlikely now.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Irishlad2014

Max i think its time to stop clutching at them straws,as much as we all hoped it would happen its looking very unlikely now.
    Well thanks for clearing that up, lets just close this thread now :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭curmudgeonly

The principals behind the NQ were in town yesterday all systems still go, November is their deadline if money not in place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

The principals behind the NQ were in town yesterday all systems still go, November is their deadline if money not in place.

A lot of things politically are going to happen between now and November with Brexit and the children's hospital ,did they seem confident that they would get the money by November?

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭curmudgeonly

A lot of things politically are going to happen between now and November with Brexit and the children's hospital ,did they seem confident that they would get the money by November?

Reading between the lines there seems to be surprise that WCC have not gone the route of Limerick and Cork and borrowed the money from the EIB on the strength of the government's promise.
    A sentiment I would not disagree with.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,404 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Reading between the lines there seems to be surprise that WCC have not gone the route of Limerick and Cork and borrowed the money from the EIB on the strength of the government's promise. A sentiment I would not disagree with.

What's the problem with the eib?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Waterboy2014

Reading between the lines there seems to be surprise that WCC have not gone the route of Limerick and Cork and borrowed the money from the EIB on the strength of the government's promise.

I was half hoping that the Council had started to pursue a loan from EIB? Are they staying firmly with the idea that central government will fork out the full amount?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Bards

I was half hoping that the Council had started to pursue a loan from EIB? Are they staying firmly with the idea that central government will fork out the full amount?
    EIB loan for NQs and Airport and try and recoup monies from Govt at some point would be the safest bet before the next recession kicks in and all expenditure is pulled

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Has anyone challenged Michael Walsh on this matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭azimuth17

I understood that the EIB money for Limerick is to do an actual development and that the North Quays money being sought from government is for infrastructure, normally supplied by the state, such as a transport hub, roads, a relocated rail station, a pedestrian bridge etc to access a site where a private developer will finance the build. In those circumstances why should council borrow EIB money? I know nothing about the Cork EIB details.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭invara

This is the road Wexford have gone down...
    https://www.independent.ie/regionals/newrossstandard/news/councillors-all-back-ambitious-40m-plan-36620730.html
    You do need visibility on the return and cashflow that will handle the payback. It is a very tough decision for a council and executive to take on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

azimuth17 wrote: »
    I understood that the EIB money for Limerick is to do an actual development and that the North Quays money being sought from government is for infrastructure, normally supplied by the state, such as a transport hub, roads, a relocated rail station, a pedestrian bridge etc to access a site where a private developer will finance the build. In those circumstances why should council borrow EIB money? I know nothing about the Cork EIB details.

The port of Cork borrowed money from the EIB for its new facility under construction in Ringaskiddy. Cork City Council haven’t borrowed money for office developments from the EIB like Limerick and actually came out to the media to say that they would not borrow money in this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Waterboy2014

Second wave of the Rural Regeneration Fund announced today. €64 million doled out and Waterford got €128,000. That's fairly measly. Is this a sign of a large announcement in the coming weeks for Waterford City from the Urban Regeneration and Development Fund?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

Thomastown got €2.1m allocated and all the praise is for a TD living in Ferrybank (JP Phelan) who is getting credit all over his Facebook for being such a good representative for his people....in Thomastown

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Good grief they really are stress testing the patience and good humour of the Saudis.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Good grief they really are stress testing the patience and good humour of the Saudis.

Would the Saudis be aware that Waterford isn't a rural location?

Second wave of the Rural Regeneration Fund announced today. €64 million doled out and Waterford got €128,000. That's fairly measly. Is this a sign of a large announcement in the coming weeks for Waterford City from the Urban Regeneration and Development Fund?

It's a sign that a project in rural West Waterford was successful in applying for funding from a fund which aims to reinvigorate towns and villages with populations under 10,000.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭91wx763

Has anyone challenged Michael Walsh on this matter?
    Hee hee, Eamonn Keane might have done but......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭jelutong

I've heard that some owners/occupiers of businesses in Ferrybank that were due be affected by the North Quay development have been told that nothing will happen for at least 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,404 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

jelutong wrote: »
    I've heard that some owners/occupiers of businesses in Ferrybank that were due be affected by the North Quay development have been told that nothing will happen for at least 5 years.

unfortunately this could be true, such large projects can take time to complete, i would expect a couple of years at least to completion

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    unfortunately this could be true, such large projects can take time to complete, i would expect a couple of years at least to completion

It's a 3 year construction phase project according to council and falcon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭Gavlor

It's a 3 year construction phase project according to council and falcon.

Just throwing a cat amongst the pigeons, I had a look at falcon real estates Ltd. It took all
    of 3 seconds as there isn’t a huge amount of info out there on the firm.

Some laugh if it was all a Walter Mitty stunt!

Gavlor wrote: »
    Just throwing a cat amongst the pigeons, I had a look at falcon real estates Ltd. It took all
    of 3 seconds as there isn’t a huge amount of info out there on the firm.

Some laugh if it was all a Walter Mitty stunt!

They (owner of falcon)have a lot of paid people talking for them, they have met the council and the taoiseach, they have done design work specific to the north quays and projects similar around the world. Falcon is probably just set up for this specific project, under a greater umbrella.there is lots of info out there

• Registered Users Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Related matter, how is there not a fast track for this kind of stuff?

https://twitter.com/damienwlrfm/status/1098128583317442561?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Muttley79

What a coincidence that the children's hospital runs way over budget in dublin and the north quays development looks to be put back.yet leo the spinner tells everyone that no project is effected!!!don't think the Saudi group are going to hang around much longer.meanwhile cork and Limerick are booming with development.the south east and Waterford is forgotten about once again

Muttley79 wrote: »
    What a coincidence that the children's hospital runs way over budget in dublin and the north quays development looks to be put back.yet leo the spinner tells everyone that no project is effected!!!don't think the Saudi group are going to hang around much longer.meanwhile cork and Limerick are booming with development.the south east and Waterford is forgotten about once again

Where have you seen that it's held back?

• Advertisement

Muttley79 wrote: »

That's a whole lot of nothing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement