Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€300M Investment into Waterford City

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Bards wrote: »
    The Govt takes in more than it spends on the S. E

Do you have any information to support this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Bards

hardybuck wrote: »
    The Govt takes in more than it spends on the S. E

Do you have any information to support this?
    Over a billion euro in 2017 out of Waterford alone and there is no where in hell we are getting close to any of that back

https://www.revenue.ie/en/corporate/documents/statistics/receipts/net-receipts-by-county.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Over a billion euro in 2017 out of Waterford alone and there is no where in hell we are getting close to any of that back

https://www.revenue.ie/en/corporate/documents/statistics/receipts/net-receipts-by-county.pdf

That’s a brilliant link but I think you are mixing up Westmeath and Waterford. What in the name of god is going on with the PAYE in Westmeath though??

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

snotboogie wrote: »
    That’s a brilliant link but I think you are mixing up Westmeath and Waterford. What in the name of god is going on with the PAYE in Westmeath though??

Michael O'Leary for one....

Just reinforces how reliant the State is on Dublin - 47 times Waterford's amount and about ten or eleven times it's size. Frightening.

The State will spend over €76bn this year alone, and will be continuing to borrow money. Think off all the teachers, nurses, Gardai, farmers, children's allowance, old age pension... adds up before you see any capital investment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

snotboogie wrote: »

The Dept of Education is headquartered in Athlone for reasons that I’m sure have nothing to do with the O’Rourkes and Lenihans. It’s a great money spinner for the area though with a constant throughout of courses, exam reviews, not to mention the benefit of spend by the Dept officials themselves.
    That actual PAYE figure is obviously a huge distortion though as it includes the tax from every teacher in the country. It does give you some idea of the pay levels to our underpaid teachers.

Deise Vu wrote: »
    The Dept of Education is headquartered in Athlone for reasons that I’m sure have nothing to do with the O’Rourkes and Lenihans. It’s a great money spinner for the area though with a constant throughout of courses, exam reviews, not to mention the benefit of spend by the Dept officials themselves.
    That actual PAYE figure is obviously a huge distortion though as it includes the tax from every teacher in the country. It does give you some idea of the pay levels to our underpaid teachers.

The Department of Education is headquartered in Dublin, but has offices in Westmeath.

Waterford has more Civil Servants working in it than Westmeath, and is further away to the headquarters of Government than Athlone is - so you'd probably need to thank Waterford's politicans for that one too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

The Department of Education is headquartered in Dublin, but has offices in Westmeath.

Waterford has more Civil Servants working in it than Westmeath, and is further away to the headquarters of Government than Athlone is - so you'd probably need to thank Waterford's politicans for that one too.

Teacher by any chance?

I am dying to hear your explanation as to how Westmeath is the third highest county for PAYE receipts in the country with over 5% of the total PAYE tax take in the country but has way less than 1% of the VAT receipts. Are they all tight-fisted up there or what?

BTW, I don't know what you point is, I was only answering a question as to why why a county as small as Westmeath would have nearly a €1Bn in paye receipts.

Deise Vu wrote: »
    Teacher by any chance?

I am dying to hear your explanation as to how Westmeath is the third highest county for PAYE receipts in the country with over 5% of the total PAYE tax take in the country but has way less than 1% of the VAT receipts. Are they all tight-fisted up there or what?

BTW, I don't know what you point is, I was only answering a question as to why why a county as small as Westmeath would have nearly a €1Bn in paye receipts.

I'm not no.

I have no idea about the PAYE aspect, that's why I haven't commented on it.

The point of my response was to tidy up the fact that the Department is not headquartered in Athlone. You also said that they have to thank politicans for that, and I'd agree with you. However, as Waterford has more positions, and is further away from the centre, I was also highlighting the work which Waterford politicans must have done to make that happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭robcass78

I'm not no.

I have no idea about the PAYE aspect, that's why I haven't commented on it.

The point of my response was to tidy up the fact that the Department is not headquartered in Athlone. You also said that they have to thank politicans for that, and I'd agree with you. However, as Waterford has more positions, and is further away from the centre, I was also highlighting the work which Waterford politicans must have done to make that happen.

Good to see the thread remains on track...Look at the number of council bod's per capita in a region, and the regional cities ought to have more, than counties as cities are the driver of growth, rather than putting them in a town where it's then simply driving commute to/from town to city to prompt sprawl.

The cost v benefits (direct, indirect & tertiary) were submitted to Councils, as one would expect on any FDI.

The interesting thing is that there is no FDI cost - benefit model for the state, like other states, nor transparency around FDI.

Or, there is no measurement of FDI / NEW investments won, on a county or regional level, so I'd like someone to show me where such data is, for input into a dashboard to highlight the opportunity of closing the gap on other regions.

Rob

• Advertisement

robcass78 wrote: »
    Good to see the thread remains on track...Look at the number of council bod's per capita in a region, and the regional cities ought to have more, than counties as cities are the driver of growth, rather than putting them in a town where it's then simply driving commute to/from town to city to prompt sprawl.

The cost v benefits (direct, indirect & tertiary) were submitted to Councils, as one would expect on any FDI.

The interesting thing is that there is no FDI cost - benefit model for the state, like other states, nor transparency around FDI.

Or, there is no measurement of FDI / NEW investments won, on a county or regional level, so I'd like someone to show me where such data is, for input into a dashboard to highlight the opportunity of closing the gap on other regions.

Rob

You could bring it back on track by responding to the few queries I put to you on those figures you lobbed into the discussion a couple of weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭robcass78

You could bring it back on track by responding to the few queries I put to you on those figures you lobbed into the discussion a couple of weeks ago.

All the figures went into the URDF funding application, via the Councils application for funding.

Pretty straightforward calculations based on a) the uses / sizes of the buildings and b) international benchmarks for jobs created directly/indirectly for such uses.

Rob

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

Good write up on Waterford in the Business Post yesterday. €750 million investment over the next 3 years. Hopefully it all plays out

• Registered Users Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭Gavlor

thomasm wrote: »
    Good write up on Waterford in the Business Post yesterday. €750 million investment over the next 3 years. Hopefully it all plays out

Thanks for the link!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

Gavlor wrote: »
    Thanks for the link!

Maybe he read the actual newspaper?

Here's the link: https://www.businesspost.ie/property/shot-arm-waterford-442183

You'll need to subscribe though...

Gavlor wrote: »
    Thanks for the link!

Behind a paywall so didn't see the point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Can someone do a summary for us cheapskates.

Here you go

Page 2

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Cranes over on the site the past couple of days. Any idea what they're doing there? Has some limited work commenced?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Thanks for that, interesting.

Apparently there's a presentation on North Quays this evening in Revolution. Anyone got details? Can anyone attend?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

fricatus wrote: »

Apparently there's a presentation on North Quays this evening in Revolution. Anyone got details? Can anyone attend?

It's on at 6:30. Yes, anyone can attend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

fricatus wrote: »

A presentation on a 350 million euro development in Revolution??? Who is involved in running that do you know? Seems an odd place to have a such a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,404 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

alta stare wrote:
    A presentation on a 350 million euro development in Revolution??? Who is involved in running that do you know? Seems an odd place to have a such a thing.

Flash?

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Flash?

Why would flash have such a thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

It’s part of the ‘festival of architecture’ the college arrange so maybe no big budgets. There’s also a fundraising quiz after so maybe it was a way of getting people to take part in that afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Deiseen

alta stare wrote: »
    Why would flash have such a thing?

He always has things like this...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

is he the saviour of the universe Waterford?

• Advertisement

sillysocks wrote: »
    It’s part of the ‘festival of architecture’ the college arrange so maybe no big budgets. There’s also a fundraising quiz after so maybe it was a way of getting people to take part in that afterwards.

Ah right so it isn't an official link to the project.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement