Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€300M Investment into Waterford City

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭south

The port company and other private companies own the car parks on quay.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭aziz

Max Powers wrote: »
    Council own very little car parks there AFAIK

What I think is crazy is that the council owns some of the marina's and the harbour commissioners owns some of the car parks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭Gavlor

aziz wrote: »
    What I think is crazy is that the council owns some of the marina's and the harbour commissioners owns some of the car parks

And a consortium of local businessmen own the clock tower car park....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Bards

Gavlor wrote: »
    aziz wrote: »

And a consortium of local businessmen own the clock tower car park....
    And then businesses complain about car parking so expensive... Need to address this issue at chamber level me thinks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Could the elected mayor pass an edict to bring all the car parks under unified control ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Bards wrote: »
    And then businesses complain about car parking so expensive... Need to address this issue at chamber level me thinks

A hotelier, retail magnate and car dealer are part of the consortium. The first two should know better!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Council own very little car parks there AFAIK

Oh right i thought they owned some of it. Its Probably a long shot so of it ever being developed into a boardwalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭914

alta stare wrote: »
    Oh right i thought they owned some of it. Its Probably a long shot so of it ever being developed into a boardwalk.

The last I heard in order to remove the car parks off the Quays the council would need to provide 1200 alternative car parking spaces.

Once this was achieved they could look at relocating the quay car parks.

Part of development of the foot brige will remove some of the car park by the clock tower so that's a start anyway.

With the introducing of bolton street, waterside and browns lane car park due to commence construction soon things are hopefully moving in the right direction.

Here is the image which I saw of the foot bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

914 wrote: »
    Here is the image which I saw of the foot bridge.

Looks great. Imagine if the car parks werent there and the quay was redeveloped to look as fresh and clean as it does in that picture. It would be fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

alta stare wrote: »
    Looks great. Imagine if the car parks werent there and the quay was redeveloped to look as fresh and clean as it does in that picture. It would be fantastic.

CPO way to go so.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭cgcsb

The last I heard in order to remove the car parks off the Quays the council would need to provide 1200 alternative car parking spaces.

Once this was achieved they could look at relocating the quay car parks.

Part of development of the foot brige will remove some of the car park by the clock tower so that's a start anyway.

With the introducing of bolton street, waterside and browns lane car park due to commence construction soon things are hopefully moving in the right direction.

Why would the council NEED to replace the spaces though? less parking = less cars which would tally with good urban planning. Isn't Waterford getting it's own version of BusConnects?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

That is great to see.

cgcsb wrote: »
    Why would the council NEED to replace the spaces though? less parking = less cars which would tally with good urban planning. Isn't Waterford getting it's own version of BusConnects?

To be honest I don't know. Maybe the car parking spaces will need to be provided for those travelling to Waterford from other counties, tourists etc as opposed to people living in the city

To be honest I don't know. Maybe the car parking spaces will need to be provided for those travelling to Waterford from other counties, tourists etc as opposed to people living in the city

That's hardly a compelling NEED though. It's not as if parking is scarce or the City is inaccessible by public transport. Besides nobody wants to visit a surface car park.

That's hardly a compelling NEED though. It's not as if parking is scarce or the City is inaccessible by public transport. Besides nobody wants to visit a surface car park.

The problem with public transport in Waterford is that it is often quicker to drive hence why people still drive.

If NQ and Michael St go ahead we will need parking spaces.

Close the Quay car parks from tomorrow and watch the manic with parking

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

The problem with public transport in Waterford is that it is often quicker to drive hence why people still drive.

Unusual hypothetitical there....The quays not closing to car parking anytime soon, there is plenty of car parking options in the city, I suspect the quay carparks could be halved at least and we would still have no problem finding spaces. There will be additional car parking spaces with north quays, its a non issue IMO, at the short to medium term anyway.

If the quays were bus only, driving probably would be slower, hence less people would drive. Besides Waterford is mostly car parks. If you can't be separated from your car then you can walk a few extra metres.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

I think a quick scan of the car registration plates will tell you a lot of them are from surrounding areas so they definitely need to be facilitated in coming for work and business.

The solution here might be a park and ride service from somewhere like Sallypark, or even the old train station if that's actually moving to a new facility.

• Advertisement

Unusual hypothetitical there....The quays not closing to car parking anytime soon, there is plenty of car parking options in the city, I suspect the quay carparks could be halved at least and we would still have no problem finding spaces. There will be additional car parking spaces with north quays, its a non issue IMO, at the short to medium term anyway.

I agree I want the car parks removed from the quays. They should never be there. I was only stating what I was told by the council that they would need to create 1200 car parking spaces if the quays were to be removed.

To be faor that was before bolton st/waterside so I would think progess has been made on those 1200 spaces

If the quays were bus only, driving probably would be slower, hence less people would drive. Besides Waterford is mostly car parks. If you can't be separated from your car then you can walk a few extra metres.

I'm all for walking. I get the bus to town when I can and when I have to drive I normally park at the waterside car park and then walk up town

hardybuck wrote: »
    I think a quick scan of the car registration plates will tell you a lot of them are from surrounding areas so they definitely need to be facilitated in coming for work and business.

The solution here might be a park and ride service from somewhere like Sallypark, or even the old train station if that's actually moving to a new facility.

Park and ride worked really well for both tall ships events and would be worth considering,

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭curmudgeonly

The privately owned car park some people seem to be so aggrieved about on here owned by Keverflow, imo opinion will not be viable to operate once the pedestrian bridge is built, as it will take so many parking spaces from them as to kill the critical mass for the operator, so changes are coming in some form.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Deiseen

If the North Quays car parks undercut the price of the Quay car parks then could it render the Quay car parks unsustainable? I am sure the NQ developers would prefer a beautiful open South Quays to a competitors car park?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

I agree that it is a non-issue in terms of parking. If all the car parks on the quay closed the slack would be taken up elsewhere. However, it is a big issue in terms of appearance and land use. A multi-storey carpark at the back of the book centre and another on Exchange St and another in the old An Post sorting office would be much more suitable and much less visually intrusive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭azimuth17

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

That's 12 years old. They didn't sell it, did they?

BBM77 wrote: »
    I agree that it is a non-issue in terms of parking. If all the car parks on the quay closed the slack would be taken up elsewhere. However, it is a big issue in terms of appearance and land use. A multi-storey carpark at the back of the book centre and another on Exchange St and another in the old An Post sorting office would be much more suitable and much less visually intrusive.

I wouldn't build one at the back of the book centre would be far too close to the city wall. Would prefer to see more i imagination in that area. Maybe tie in something with the cultural quarter.

Just go multi story in gasworks, millars marsh and then the new car park in browns lane

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Isn't the Waterside car park supposed to be temporary with the hope of something else being developed in there at some point?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement