Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€300M Investment into Waterford City

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Jack Barlowe

no sign of a Nth Quays Planning Application yet on W.C.C. website. no sign of further funding either. any updates due i wonder ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Bards

no sign of a Nth Quays Planning Application yet on W.C.C. website. no sign of further funding either. any updates due i wonder ?
    End of the month I do believe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Jack Barlowe

Thanks. not long more so

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Darren Skelton was on Twitter earlier saying that he's more confident than ever that this is now going to go ahead. I take this as a good sign, because, like me, he is a hopeful sceptic, having seen many false dawns, but knowing the potential that lies dormant in Waterford.

I can't link right now, but maybe someone helpful could find his post and provide the URL here?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,404 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

fricatus wrote:
    Darren Skelton was on Twitter earlier saying that he's more confident than ever that this is now going to go ahead. I take this as a good sign, because, like me, he is a hopeful sceptic, having seen many false dawns, but knowing the potential that lies dormant in Waterford.

That's good news

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Bards

He said to check out next week's news and star

• Registered Users Posts: 38 cactus jacks

fricatus wrote: »
    I can't link right now, but maybe someone helpful could find his post and provide the URL here?

https://twitter.com/Deisesupes/status/1141427509126475779?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Del Amitri should play a gig in Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 cactus jacks

I'm curious to know how all this works... they're submitting the planning application now, but An Bord Pleanála has already approved the development I thought?

Have I got that ar5eways or is there some special SDZ regime in place?

Does the SDZ count as the overall planning approval (up to ABP), and then the detailed design just has to be approved by the Council as meeting the terms of that approval?

I have to say I'm confused... maybe someone in the know can explain?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

I'm curious to know how all this works... they're submitting the planning application now, but An Bord Pleanála has already approved the development I thought?

Does the SDZ count as the overall planning approval (up to ABP), and then the detailed design just has to be approved by the Council as meeting the terms of that approval?

No expert but if the planning is in line with ABP approval and presumably council and councillors ok, its fine.No doubt a couple of councillors will want to raise some fairly minor thing to get their name out.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭curmudgeonly

Normally a planning is given but can be appealed to ABP, in the case of an SDZ it is reversed, it goes to ABP first and at this stage one can appeal, but after that it is a matter for the local planning body to pass the application if it is broadly within what was passed by ABP.
    The definition of broadly is an argument that could be had?

That N&S front page omitted Waterford's new mosque.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Deiseen

vriesmays wrote: »

Oh yeah, I completely forgot that this development comes with a free mosque. I wonder will they put it next to the synagogue that Teva built or perhaps maybe the Hindu temple that Tech Mahindra built.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I have the racist on ignore.

I have the racist on ignore.

Racist is one thing but effin painfully idiotic is another.

Then again, they usually go hand in hand with each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

I imagine most journalists are careful about what they say.

Don't want to end up cut into pieces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

Ah stop your a hoot.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

Deiseen wrote: »
    Oh yeah, I completely forgot that this development comes with a free mosque. I wonder will they put it next to the synagogue that Teva built or perhaps maybe the Hindu temple that Tech Mahindra built.

Or the pub next to Supervalu...... now there's a stereotype for ya:):)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Gardner

to me this is the type of development that the North Quay's should have been gearing towards. got to say Cork is very impressive with it's current ongoing developments in the City and the proposed developments in the link below

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/property/docklands-plan-to-see-cork-skyline-hit-new-heights-with-countrys-tallest-building-933245.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Interesting that they claim they need the rents to be over €2000 p/m to be financially viable. They obviously aren't predicting a change in government and/or government policy on housing.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Teebor15

Gardner wrote: »
    to me this is the type of development that the North Quay's should have been gearing towards. got to say Cork is very impressive with it's current ongoing developments in the City and the proposed developments in the link below

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/property/docklands-plan-to-see-cork-skyline-hit-new-heights-with-countrys-tallest-building-933245.html

Remember this...

https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/iconic-tower-to-lead-380m-waterford-urban-quarter-26440777.html

Different times...be interesting to see how it would have fared if it had been built back then...An iconic monument establishing the city as a major urban center...or a glorified white elephant to be ridiculed like the Ferrybank shopping center!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,404 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

cgcsb wrote:
    Interesting that they claim they need the rents to be over €2000 p/m to be financially viable. They obviously aren't predicting a change in government and/or government policy on housing.

Disturbing more like, this thinking is deeply imbedded into our economic systems, models, I've questioned people such as Rob Cass on this, I.e. known 'negative' aspects of such major projects, unfortunately such people are simply not interested in hearing this. This thinking is deeply imbedded in the neoliberal/neoclassical economic model, we are now watching this ideology fail, and not only in this country. We cannot live in a society of continual asset price inflation, in particular in housing, and continue with policies such as relatively low wage inflation, as the outcomes are now obvious. We have to start radically changing this, and quickly. Policies such as land value taxes etc are urgently required to start addressing these issues.

This project will dramatically transform the region, it has potential to be one of finest ever created here, but.....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭cgcsb

I meant it's interesting in the sense that there's an election to take place, possibly during construction of their scheme, and the current right wing housing policy is deeply unpopular, but they have the confidence to proceed none the less. If policy changes, and housing becomes affordable for the middle class, the number of people interested in €24k per annum apartments is bound do be greatly reduced.

It says in the N&S that they can't put the water piping beneath the wharf so have to come up with another solution.

It says in the N&S that they can't put the water piping beneath the wharf so have to come up with another solution.

Niall Harringto gave it as an example of challenges they had to overcome. Sounded like they had solved it.

That's OK so, will no doubt get built on schedule and on budget.

Oh how easy it is to be the hurler on the ditch!

I'll pick up a copy of the N&S later, looking forward to reading for myself about how this is all progressing.

That's OK so, will no doubt get built on schedule and on budget.

Are you alright lad? Ya seem a bit tense or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

This is why Engineers get paid well. They solve problems. In the grand scheme of things id say that issue is small one for them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement