Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€300M Investment into Waterford City

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Really don't think it should be bulldozed. It's an imposing 1905 Hennebique-designed structure (one of only two in Ireland, I think?). A bit of imagination and it could be transformed into something impressive.

Disappointed in this decision.

The problem is many of the rooms only have 7/8ft ceilings in them and therefore its not viable for any sort of restoration at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭IspeakcozIcan

Max Powers wrote: »
    Apparently a lot of the floors on it are about 5' high, so virtually impossible to have them suitable for access.(don't quote me on the 5'but something small, was in the paper.)
    I'd imagine since it is reinforced concrete, changing the floor heights would be incredibly awkward structurally.I agree with your sentiment but in this case it just seems beyond practical to keep it.

Thanks for the explanation.

Still it's terrible to see a building of such significance demolished. It's not like poor decisions haven't been made regarding buildings in Waterford before (& other counties, of course).

I definitely will be sad the first time I see its absence.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 229 ✭✭Sosurface

Really don't think it should be bulldozed. It's an imposing 1905 Hennebique-designed structure (one of only two in Ireland, I think?). A bit of imagination and it could be transformed into something impressive.

Disappointed in this decision.
    Looks like we know now where those dreadful architects of the 1960s took their inspiration from. A dreadful dreary featureless cuboid. Tear it down, then burn it. Twice to make sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭buzzinfly83

Sosurface wrote: »
    Looks like we know now where those dreadful architects of the 1960s took their inspiration from. A dreadful dreary featureless cuboid. Tear it down, then burn it. Twice to make sure.

Amen to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

I'm in 2 minds about this; if knocking it facilitates the speedy building of something fantastic then I agree with you. But, there's lots of examples of these old dockside buildings being transformed into something beautiful and useful whilst retaining the heritage of the original e.g. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baltic_Centre_for_Contemporary_Art

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

I'm in 2 minds about this; if knocking it facilitates the speedy building of something fantastic then I agree with you. But, there's lots of examples of these old dockside buildings being transformed into something beautiful and useful whilst retaining the heritage of the original e.g. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baltic_Centre_for_Contemporary_Art

Pretty sure the one in Newcastle didn't have that reinforced concrete floors issue.I'm not 100% but think it had steel gantries instead of floors...a much different situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Pretty sure the one in Newcastle didn't have that reinforced concrete floors issue.I'm not 100% but think it had steel gantries instead of floors...a much different situation.

https://www.architectsjournal.co.uk/home/flour-power/176339.article
    The new gallery is formed inside the original skin of the Baltic Flour Mill.The mill was originally constructed as a series of reinforced concrete cells or shafts, which set a very difficult structural problem.

The concrete cores were flour silos which also provided the structural stability to the building, yet would eventually be removed to make way for new gallery floors.The solution was to stabilise the external skin of the main building by use of a temporary space frame wrapping around it, then create a new structure within.First, with the space frame in place, the concrete was removed section by section until the building was completely hollowed out.

It's just occurred to me reading that back that they might as just as well have knocked the whole thing and rebuilt it in the exact style and detail. Would have been much cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

It's an imposing 1905 Hennebique-designed structure (one of only two in Ireland, I think?).

Anyone know where the other one is, and what it's being used for now?

fricatus wrote: »

Searched on line, think there is a smaller version in Sligo, still possibly standing and used for storage, dont know how up to date info is,was one in Swansea, now demolished.he was fairly prolific and had/has buildings all over Ireland and Europe I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

fricatus wrote: »

Belfast I remember reading somewhere.

http://www.geograph.ie/photo/597097

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Deiseen

Has there been any update on this development? Didn't WCC put out a tender to carry out a survey. has it been done?

Deiseen wrote: »
    Has there been any update on this development? Didn't WCC put out a tender to carry out a survey. has it been done?

I'm guessing contract stage still going, tendering, lowest price, dates etc.I'd say we'll see some machine drilling holes at some stage, how long who knows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭IspeakcozIcan

https://www.architectsjournal.co.uk/home/flour-power/176339.article

It's just occurred to me reading that back that they might as just as well have knocked the whole thing and rebuilt it in the exact style and detail. Would have been much cheaper.

Interesting link. So it can be done if the will is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭DE DEISE

Any update on funding for this project, all seems very quiet around here lately,

Was thinking the same alright, there was a small piece in this weeks News and Star that mentioned something ok, but wasn't very promising to be honest.

I’m trying to stay positive, that they will give the money needed. Admittedly it is hard considering the way this government has treated Waterford.

The council haven't submitted request yet, they are doing full cost benefit analysis , plus full cost estimates and designs for infrastructure needs.reporter in n&s said saw a more detailed drawing of pedestrian bridge, we know this works is more than north quays and Michael street, theres access road on north quays, services etc, all this sounds like they are doing a thorough case on this plan, getting all their ducks in a row.
    I e-mailed a few td's saying they need to get behind this together, top priority.got back some replies so far saying they have made representations to the capital investment plan which is being drawn up in September, etc, etc.I e-mailed paschal donohoe and coveney too saying, this is vital, thousands of jobs, once in lifetime opportunity, private investor, etc.
    I e-mailed John deasy specifically as he might possibly be best placed to have ear of new govt expenditure minister, now that he is set to be brought in from the cold shoulder he got from enda (no secret there).
    Bottom line, we won't hear much on this for months i reckon, not until September probably close to when capital plan being released.capital plan can't be done until public pay negotiations sorted, and other stuff probably.
    I'd advice people to contact local td's in the REGION, relevant ministers, likes of paschal,coveney, New taoiseach and stress importance, massive opportunity,, thousands of jobs, social housing, private investor, vital for region, not just Waterford, etc etc.
    You can say that will do no good whatever,I believe if enough people do, message gets thru.

The council haven't submitted request yet, they are doing full cost benefit analysis , plus full cost estimates and designs for infrastructure needs.reporter in n&s said saw a more detailed drawing of pedestrian bridge, we know this works is more than north quays and Michael street, theres access road on north quays, services etc, all this sounds like they are doing a thorough case on this plan, getting all their ducks in a row.
    I e-mailed a few td's saying they need to get behind this together, top priority.got back some replies so far saying they have made representations to the capital investment plan which is being drawn up in September, etc, etc.I e-mailed paschal donohoe and coveney too saying, this is vital, thousands of jobs, once in lifetime opportunity, private investor, etc.
    I e-mailed John deasy specifically as he might possibly be best placed to have ear of new govt expenditure minister, now that he is set to be brought in from the cold shoulder he got from enda (no secret there).
    Bottom line, we won't hear much on this for months i reckon, not until September probably close to when capital plan being released.capital plan can't be done until public pay negotiations sorted, and other stuff probably.
    I'd advice people to contact local td's in the REGION, relevant ministers, likes of paschal,coveney, New taoiseach and stress importance, massive opportunity,, thousands of jobs, social housing, private investor, vital for region, not just Waterford, etc etc.
    You can say that will do no good whatever,I believe if enough people do, message gets thru.

Did John Deasy reply?

Only sent recently.

Only sent recently.

How well do Leo and Deasy get on?

Also lads no one mentioning the abysmal drop in IDA visits to Waterford. Who's to blame for this? Our TDs the IDA south east manager?

• Advertisement

Also lads no one mentioning the abysmal drop in IDA visits to Waterford. Who's to blame for this? Our TDs the IDA south east manager?

They're on very good terms.
    We taking about that weeks ago, drop off over last year or so is down to not having a td in position to affect it.IMO, Coffey did, visits were higher, we have no one there now..

We taking about that weeks ago, drop off over last year or so is down to not having a td in position to affect it.IMO, Coffey did, visits were higher, we have no one there now..

I have agreed with you on this Max, I've said that Coffey got us those visits and we have both been slated. Interesting that Coffey supported Coveneny but leo won out in the end. Maybe Deasy might end up useful for us after all these years of being anonymous.

Considering how Deasy behaved when he was a spokesperson in the opposition (can’t remember the dept), if you were the Taoiseach would you promote him? Would you even trust him? I certainly would not.

If Coffey was still a TD I’d be confident that he would get something. I can’t see Deasy getting anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Teebor15

John Paul Phelan will be Leo's pick as the South East Rep at the cabinet table, then we're all f**ked!!

Teebor15 wrote: »
    John Paul Phelan will be Leo's pick as the South East Rep at the cabinet table, then we're all f**ked!!

Not necessarily, he big supporter of uhw campaign, saw him on marches myself, plus, I'd say he positive about north quays too which is priority 1 I'd say for us.

I have agreed with you on this Max, I've said that Coffey got us those visits and we have both been slated. Interesting that Coffey supported Coveneny but leo won out in the end. Maybe Deasy might end up useful for us after all these years of being anonymous.

That's our big hope alright, every commentator saying jp phelan going to be chief whip and many saying deasy in line for promotion too since long time allay of Leo.anything can happen of course.we have strong case for this sdz infrastructure funding,a little push is what is needed.I'd make the point again, get word out to td's, likes of paschal Donohoe, etc.

That's our big hope alright, every commentator saying jp phelan going to be chief whip and many saying deasy in line for promotion too since long time allay of Leo.anything can happen of course.we have strong case for this sdz infrastructure funding,a little push is what is needed.I'd make the point again, get word out to td's, likes of paschal Donohoe, etc.

JP can't be publicly supportive of the north quays thou because it won't be good for Kilkenny, in fact it could be the death of retail in Kilkenny.

JP can't be publicly supportive of the north quays thou because it won't be good for Kilkenny, in fact it could be the death of retail in Kilkenny.

But the fact that he's living 2 mins from the proposed development area he'll find it difficult to not be positive about it.

Aquos76 wrote: »
    But the fact that he's living 2 mins from the proposed development area he'll find it difficult to not be positive about it.

Thousands of jobs on his constituents doorstep practically, it would be crazy to not support it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Teebor15

Thousands of jobs on his constituents doorstep practically, it would be crazy to not support it.

From a common sense point of view it would be crazy not to.support it but this is politics where common sense is never in abundance. Phelan says nothing in support of the 24hr cardiac care which affects all his constitutes lives but goes bananas threatening to resign if a mythical line in the ground is moved which ironically benefits his constituency also..they just can't see it!

Those hospital marches were just token gestures..he really couldn't give a fiddlers!

The North Quays may be a stones throw from his house but it's just at the wrong side of the imaginary line in the ground (The county Boundary) He, like alot of his constitutes would like to see the North Quays fail as it might benefit Waterford. Cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Call me paranoid but it's the truth unfortunately!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement