Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€300M Investment into Waterford City

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

I hope the negativity in this thread doesn’t dissuade you from giving us updates in the future. Unfortunately empty vessels make the most noise, but the vast majority of people following this thread are passionate about this project and eager for updates and information.

It isnt negativity if someone asks questions even if some comments do trigger some posters.

Iv said it so many times i want to see this project happen and if someone can point out otherwise id love to see it.

Anyone who comes out with what you have just posted has nothing else to counter with only the usual tripe about negativity and the likes. A weak argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭azimuth17

alta stare wrote: »
    To be fair Rob had no problem coming on here playing up to the usual people who frequent this forum as he seems to like having his ego stroked.

He reminds me of that chap over in the uk who was recently found out to have duped investors into the tune of millions. Eventually caught up with him.

These comments are out of order and while Alta Stare protests his hope that the NQ projects will be done as we all want to see, the UK comparison is really contemptible and should be withdrawn. It is possibly libelous and actionable at law. An apology, at least, is in order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

I did. It wasnt to insult it was more tongue in cheek but ye all jump on it as par the course on Boards. Iv criticised him, iv questioned him, iv complemented him and all at various times throughout the thread yet people just see one single comment and go for it. Its pretty predictable hence why i said it.

Iv nothing personal against Rob and iv made that clear. I want to see this project happen and iv made that clear. I have no doubt Rob is being professional in his private/public meetings and yes iv made that clear so lets all get over ourselves here and stop the fake outrage before someone has a heart attack.

But if anyone is having heart attack , now would be a good time. Cat lab open till 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

azimuth17 wrote: »
    These comments are out of order and while Alta Stare protests his hope that the NQ projects will be done as we all want to see, the UK comparison is really contemptible and should be withdrawn. It is possibly libelous and actionable at law. An apology, at least, is in order.

Have to agree on the apology, even if tongue in cheek, bang out of order, at best

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

I did. It wasnt to insult it was more tongue in cheek but ye all jump on it as par the course on Boards. Iv criticised him, iv questioned him, iv complemented him and all at various times throughout the thread yet people just see one single comment and go for it. Its pretty predictable hence why i said it.

Iv nothing personal against Rob and iv made that clear. I want to see this project happen and iv made that clear. I have no doubt Rob is being professional in his private/public meetings and yes iv made that clear so lets all get over ourselves here and stop the fake outrage before someone has a heart attack.

You seem to think people have an issue with you asking questions and being skeptical/critical - just to let you know, nobody has an issue with that.

First point, it was clearly an insult, you claim it was a tongue in cheek insult that people took the wrong way, I would say there is no reasonable other way for people to take that given what seems a very deep issue you have with Rob and this project.

Second, there's a massive logic gap with that whole 'Its pretty predictable hence why i said it.' - just makes no sense.

Third, you certainly haven't made anything of that nature clear, it would appear to anyone who hasn't forensically dug over this thread that you do in fact dislike this person.
    Why do it on Boards Rob? By all means strut your stuff when in meetings with those who matter but why do it here? How is that professional. You came on here to give updates and some posters wet themselves and hung on your every word yet those who question you are almost ostracised for doing so. Its pretty pathetic to be honest.

Fourth; why not use boards? In this day and age social media is a perfectly valid way to communicate. Whether or not this is ultimately successful, clear open communication with the public (which we are) is broadly good, is it not?

Finally, I'd probably drop the victim complex.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭realmoonunit

I hope the negativity in this thread doesn’t dissuade you from giving us updates in the future. Unfortunately empty vessels make the most noise, but the vast majority of people following this thread are passionate about this project and eager for updates and information.

I 100% second this sentiment. Forget the noise, as I am sure you are doing anyway. To see the updates here is a great "behind the scenes" look at what is going on. When the project is delivered the likes of the detractors will still bitch and moan anyway, I suspect its their MO. I for one would like to thank you for what you are doing and look forward to a vibrant, rich and usable project.

Best

azimuth17 wrote: »

I said it reminds me. I didnt accuse him of doing such things so calm down there with the hyperbole.

Max Powers wrote: »
    Have to agree on the apology, even if tongue in cheek, bang out of order, at best

Bang out of order.....coming from you???

mayordenis wrote: »
    You seem to think people have an issue with you asking questions and being skeptical/critical - just to let you know, nobody has an issue with that.

First point, it was clearly an insult, you claim it was a tongue in cheek insult that people took the wrong way, I would say there is no reasonable other way for people to take that given what seems a very deep issue you have with Rob and this project.

Second, there's a massive logic gap with that whole 'Its pretty predictable hence why i said it.' - just makes no sense.

Third, you certainly haven't made anything of that nature clear, it would appear to anyone who hasn't forensically dug over this thread that you do in fact dislike this person.

Fourth; why not use boards? In this day and age social media is a perfectly valid way to communicate. Whether or not this is ultimately successful, clear open communication with the public (which we are) is broadly good, is it not?

Finally, I'd probably drop the victim complex.

I dont have an issue with Rob and this project. Iv said so multiple times. Iv has an issue on his slating the very people he needed to win over for this project to even go ahead.

No there is no gap. I posted a comment that i knew would trigger some of ye because that's what ye do.

I dont know him at all so i cant dislike him. Again iv pointed this out loads of times.

By all means use Boards to give updates but dont use Boards to slate the very people he needs for this project to succeed. I mean iv explained this a milliom times.

Victim complex.....cop on. I couldnt give a toss what anyone on Boards thinks of me. I am not a victim of anything. Boards is a bloody social media platform for gods sakes. Unlike some here i don't spend my time searching for posts to get offended by :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

I dont have an issue with Rob and this project. Iv said so multiple times. Iv has an issue on his slating the very people he needed to win over for this project to even go ahead.

No there is no gap. I posted a comment that i knew would trigger some of ye because that's what ye do.

I dont know him at all so i cant dislike him. Again iv pointed this out loads of times.

By all means use Boards to give updates but dont use Boards to slate the very people he needs for this project to succeed. I mean iv explained this a milliom times.

Victim complex.....cop on. I couldnt give a toss what anyone on Boards thinks of me. I am not a victim of anything. Boards is a bloody social media platform for gods sakes. Unlike some here i don't spend my time searching for posts to get offended by :D

You should take a break from social media for a while,why dont you go and talk to Rob face to face?

• Advertisement

You should take a break from social media for a while,why dont you go and talk to Rob face to face?

Why should I? I have no problem interacting with people here even if it triggers the blessed souls. Its the snowflakes who get offended by innocuous comments who need to take the break, im perfectly fine thanks.

Haha, triggered snowflakes, is this some bad internet argument bingo you're going for?

Just to add something here which shows the hypocrisy of some users..take a look at what is being posted in the traveller thread....wheres all the outrage there???? There isnt, because ye are selective in what ye give out about. Some of ye really do need to grow up.

Haha, triggered snowflakes, is this some bad internet argument bingo you're going for?

Is that all you got for a reply? If it is im not surprised.

Is that all you got for a reply? If it is im not surprised.

To your repeated comments about triggering the libtards? Yes, that is my full response.

To your repeated comments about triggering the libtards? Yes, that is my full response.

Right. Fair play.

Right. Fair play.

You seem fairly triggered yourself. It's like in an argument the first fella to say calm down calm down, seems to think they have the high ground then.

debok wrote: »
    You seem fairly triggered yourself. It's like in an argument the first fella to say calm down calm down, seems to think they have the high ground then.

:D no not at all. Im not looking for any high ground.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

MOD Warning: this thread is getting way off topic and turning into personal attacks on each other, I really don’t want to have to close it, but will do if these smart comments continue. Time to cut it out now and get back on topic please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Gardner

The one big obstacle I can see with this development is attracting a Main Contractor to take on the Works. No local Contractor is within an asses roar of taking this job on.
    If you look at say the big 3 Contractors at the moment BAM, Sisk & Hegarty’s, they all have full portfolios with Developers O’Callaghan’s, Ronan and Cleary etc. in both Cork and Dublin for the considerable future. Take Cork for example both BAM and Hegarty’s will have upcoming works at the Odlum’s and the Sextant Site and that’s just to name a few. I personally work as a rep in the construction waterproofing industry all over Ireland and from talking to many Contractor’s they don’t see the NQ as a potential project of target. All currently are struggling to procure and maintain Subcontractors within the Dublin and Cork regions so another headache in Waterford is not on their agenda. Another huge concern for any Main Contractor is the Falcon Real Estate Group itself who have no previous exposure to the Irish market or business. While most clients demand Construction Bonds to be set in place between the Client and the main Contractor the opposite will be demanded by the main Contractor here also. A parent company bond maybe looked at here. This is quite common in USA, Australia and Asia but not so much here. On the 300m figure that is been thrown about, I have spoken to several QS about this and they believe this will be easily doubled if the project actually takes off. They stress the words “actually take off” as most don’t think it will when it comes down to the final figure. It must be noted that no tender for any form of the main development works has been thrown out to the market yet. Fun times ahead. Rob will probably tell us all different but I’m only going on what senior people in main Contractors are telling me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Gardner wrote: »
    The one big obstacle I can see with this development is attracting a Main Contractor to take on the Works. No local Contractor is within an asses roar of taking this job on.
    If you look at say the big 3 Contractors at the moment BAM, Sisk & Hegarty’s, they all have full portfolios with Developers O’Callaghan’s, Ronan and Cleary etc. in both Cork and Dublin for the considerable future. Take Cork for example both BAM and Hegarty’s will have upcoming works at the Odlum’s and the Sextant Site and that’s just to name a few. I personally work as a rep in the construction waterproofing industry all over Ireland and from talking to many Contractor’s they don’t see the NQ as a potential project of target. All currently are struggling to procure and maintain Subcontractors within the Dublin and Cork regions so another headache in Waterford is not on their agenda. Another huge concern for any Main Contractor is the Falcon Real Estate Group itself who have no previous exposure to the Irish market or business. While most clients demand Construction Bonds to be set in place between the Client and the main Contractor the opposite will be demanded by the main Contractor here also. A parent company bond maybe looked at here. This is quite common in USA, Australia and Asia but not so much here. On the 300m figure that is been thrown about, I have spoken to several QS about this and they believe this will be easily doubled if the project actually takes off. They stress the words “actually take off” as most don’t think it will when it comes down to the final figure. It must be noted that no tender for any form of the main development works has been thrown out to the market yet. Fun times ahead. Rob will probably tell us all different but I’m only going on what senior people in main Contractors are telling me.

Have Falcon Real Estate gave any indications that they'd look to do this project with Irish firms, or could they seek to do this with contractors from overseas?

hardybuck wrote: »
    Have Falcon Real Estate gave any indications that they'd look to do this project with Irish firms, or could they seek to do this with contractors from overseas?

wouldn't have a clue HB. have only been talking to people in Ireland. the same principle would apply with UK Contractors in terms of procuring and securing Subcontractors and the implementation of Bonds

Just as we are talking about Cork and developments, the yanks have engaged with Gensler and with Henry J Lyons who would be streets ahead of the 2 appointed on the NQ in terms of reputation and experience. the more i see coming from Cork and Dublin in terms of major developments i can't see the NQ taking off. hope im proved wrong!

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/irelands-tallest-building-part-of-ambitious-plan-for-200m-redevelopment-in-cork-38305670.html

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭curmudgeonly

Just as we are talking about Cork and developments, the yanks have engaged with Gensler and with Henry J Lyons who would be streets ahead of the 2 appointed on the NQ in terms of reputation and experience. the more i see coming from Cork and Dublin in terms of major developments i can't see the NQ taking off. hope im proved wrong!

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/irelands-tallest-building-part-of-ambitious-plan-for-200m-redevelopment-in-cork-38305670.html

The big plus for the NQ is it is shovel ready all the other projects are literally years away from start date.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

The big plus for the NQ is it is shovel ready all the other projects are literally years away from start date.

The article may be a bit misleading with its "kickstarting the regeneration" comment. It's already well underway with One Albert Quay finished, Navigation Square almost done and Penrose Dock well underway. The Kennedy Quay site that got sold last week will be the next stage. It all seems to be moving pretty quickly really.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    it’s to do with visual aspect of that protection system

It sounds like it is not too serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Deiseen

Without sounding too critical, how high-up are the people you have been speaking to?

My experience is that people on the lower levels like to assume they know the full story and will commonly spread misinformation based on what one insignificant person said one time during an informal chat.

The reality being they usually don't have a clue.

Not saying this is the case here but in my experience, it almost always is.

As to the location, if there's money on the table then you make it happen. This project is likely to have over €100 million of government money plus €300+ million from a sizeable Saudi Corporation. To hear that the location has come into the conversation at all is very very hard to believe. I'm not sure I've ever heard location being a sticking point and I've done projects in the Shetlands! If there's money to be made, you take the job. It's as simple as that.

Understandable on Falcon's exposure/experience in Irish market but Rob is the director and he has extensive experience not to mention the experience of Al Hokair themselves.

I'm sure Rob will reply to some of your points if he can.

Careful now with all that negative talk as may may get jumped on.

• Advertisement

Careful now with all that negative talk as may may get jumped on.

Triggered!!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement