Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€300M Investment into Waterford City

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Deiseen

alta stare wrote: »
    Careful now with all that negative talk as may may get jumped on.

Did everyone strike a nerve?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

alta stare wrote: »
    Maybe he was referring to your updates on here.

exactly....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

tbayers wrote: »
    Harsh, looks like he has done more for this project than anyone else on this island. Do you want him to give out sensitive commercial information or something??

not harsh the truth, he has given no good updates on here... so when someone was asking to come back and give more updates I was just given an opinion they where of no real benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Deiseen wrote: »
    Did everyone strike a nerve?

Yeah...their own id say. I am not the one who is selective in their fake outrage. Again ill point to this thread and the traveller thread the latter is where some the stuff being posted is a bit ott yet it is this thread that all the snowflakes seem to be getting offended.

debok wrote: »
    Triggered!!!!

:D

Well done you got me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Gardner

The article may be a bit misleading with its "kickstarting the regeneration" comment. It's already well underway with One Albert Quay finished, Navigation Square almost done and Penrose Dock well underway. The Kennedy Quay site that got sold last week will be the next stage. It all seems to be moving pretty quickly really.

sextant Site has already been designed and in final stages of tender negotiations. its well ahead of the NQ. expecting demolition by Xmas and 1st quarter start of 2020. all the buildings are similar to previous developments for the developers so in many cases its a copy and paste exercise with the same nominated and domestic subcontractors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Gardner

Deiseen wrote: »
    Without sounding too critical, how high-up are the people you have been speaking to?

My experience is that people on the lower levels like to assume they know the full story and will commonly spread misinformation based on what one insignificant person said one time during an informal chat.

The reality being they usually don't have a clue.

Not saying this is the case here but in my experience, it almost always is.

As to the location, if there's money on the table then you make it happen. This project is likely to have over €100 million of government money plus €300+ million from a sizeable Saudi Corporation. To hear that the location has come into the conversation at all is very very hard to believe. I'm not sure I've ever heard location being a sticking point and I've done projects in the Shetlands! If there's money to be made, you take the job. It's as simple as that.

Understandable on Falcon's exposure/experience in Irish market but Rob is the director and he has extensive experience not to mention the experience of Al Hokair themselves.

I'm sure Rob will reply to some of your points if he can.

very high up. with our works contained in these projects our costs can be vast so we go straight to the lead QS or bid leader.

i agree on the location factor but you are failing to realise that Subbies are way way way stretched beyond capacity at this moment in time. i dunno if you have projects yourself in Cork and Dublin but its a huge eye opener. will be very surprised if one of the big 3 in Ireland take it on and wouldn't be surprised to see an UK based contractor come on board due to Brexit and set up shop over here. Laing O'Rourke are potentially looking at getting back in over here as the Australian side to their business is on the way down considerably and we have tendered a bits and bobs for them. Their Rail side of their business is the only reason why they have kept their head above water.

Gardner wrote: »
    very high up. with our works contained in these projects our costs can be vast so we go straight to the lead QS or bid leader.

i agree on the location factor but you are failing to realise that Subbies are way way way stretched beyond capacity at this moment in time. i dunno if you have projects yourself in Cork and Dublin but its a huge eye opener. will be very surprised if one of the big 3 in Ireland take it on and wouldn't be surprised to see an UK based contractor come on board due to Brexit and set up shop over here. Laing O'Rourke are potentially looking at getting back in over here as the Australian side to their business is on the way down considerably and we have tendered a bits and bobs for them. Their Rail side of their business is the only reason why they have kept their head above water.

Its nearly impossible to get contractors to commit to jobs these days. Everyone seems so busy. I see it through my own job that contractors are turning down work because they cannot commit to it when the client wants. Good to see everyone so busy though and lets hope the arse dont fall out of it anytime soon.

I agree with your comment of an outsider possibly coming in. I would not be surprised if that did happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭taytobreath

0?e=1566432000&v=beta&t=Td2dOGnCL1kEyaGWLVkOzbD3EW6rakyMvUS7wx9BSGs

0?e=1566432000&v=beta&t=lJdtl4__1L1KB7kM-K1GXrbI4tsoh8SJBplsRwtPq6c

Some pictures of the proposed North quays development, if anyone hasnt seen these yet

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Neworder79

Sorry to dig up the original North Quays plan (admittedly 20 years back when they ran the original design competition). But that plan cantered on an iconic building anchoring the site. Various concepts for a museum, concert hall to high-rise hotel were put forward. When was this abandoned and why (cost, commercial focus?)

I don't want to be negative and have yet to see the shopping centre and other detailed plans. But it does seem like a missed opportunity architecturally for this unique site as the visualisations show apartments and offices of a typical modern development standard, but nothing unique stands out.

I've always though Waterford has so much potential to leap-frog other Irish cities with the right investment and VISION (Galway is a mess at the moment and I wouldn't choose to move there). So brilliant to see this finally progress and delighted the new scheme centres on the transport hub and new bridges. Look forward to seeing the final designs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

Neworder79 wrote: »
    Sorry to dig up the original North Quays plan (admittedly 20 years back when they ran the original design competition). But that plan cantered on an iconic building anchoring the site. Various concepts for a museum, concert hall to high-rise hotel were put forward. When was this abandoned and why (cost, commercial focus?)

I don't want to be negative and have yet to see the shopping centre and other detailed plans. But it does seem like a missed opportunity architecturally for this unique site as the visualisations show apartments and offices of a typical modern development standard, but nothing unique stands out.

I've always though Waterford has so much potential to leap-frog other Irish cities with the right investment and VISION (Galway is a mess at the moment and I wouldn't choose to move there). So brilliant to see this finally progress and delighted the new scheme centres on the transport hub and new bridges. Look forward to seeing the final designs.

You answered your own question there. That was all that plan was is a concept. The current North Wharf plan is based on what can actually be achieved and is viable based on research. The pictures look pretty good to me and fit in well with the South Quays.

Any city, even bigger ones than Waterford, would be delighted to see a project like this get even this far. Don’t see why so many here have to keep picking holes in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Some pictures of the proposed North quays development, if anyone hasnt seen these yet
    Waterford Walls will be busy in a decade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

vriesmays wrote: »
    Waterford Walls will be busy in a decade.

Your a hoot.

The North Quays will be like those 100-year trees the council chopped to replace with new ones that are dying already.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Irishlad2014

vriesmays wrote:
    The North Quays will be like those 100-year trees the council chopped to replace with new ones that are dying already.

What point are you attempting to make?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

What point are you attempting to make?

Just throwing **** at the wall and hoping someone will care enough to reply and give him the attention he craves

Iv said it before and I will say it again your a hoot.

Hoot

• Registered Users Posts: 23 paddler1974

http://www.munster-express.ie/front-page-news/investment-secured-for-%E2%80%98guardian-of-the-deise%E2%80%99/

will we have the guardian of the deise before north quays or micheal street development,
    this looks like a great project and can become the landmark architecture missing from the north quays,
    guardian of the deise standing on mount misery over looking the quays

More pie-in-the sky nonsense from the small-minded and deluded. Once Waterford gets a 24-hour university beside the extended runway on the North Quays with a mortuary and a silly statue the town will recover and become a gateway to the South East. This in a country over €200 billion in debt and a no-deal Brexit on the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Muttley79

http://www.munster-express.ie/front-page-news/investment-secured-for-%E2%80%98guardian-of-the-deise%E2%80%99/

will we have the guardian of the deise before north quays or micheal street development,
    this looks like a great project and can become the landmark architecture missing from the north quays,
    guardian of the deise standing on mount misery over looking the quays

Looks to be a bit of a publicity stunt that's only in its very early stages.the Munster express going for click bait headlines again.planning permission will look to be very difficult in approving a '200 ft' sculpture as I'd imagine the access to it and walking up in it could be a big public insurance headache on the council.maybe something 30/40ft might be more appropriate that people can just look at on a street in waterford

• Registered Users Posts: 29,404 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

More pie-in-the sky nonsense from the small-minded and deluded. Once Waterford gets a 24-hour university beside the extended runway on the North Quays with a mortuary and a silly statue the town will recover and become a gateway to the South East. This in a country over €200 billion in debt and a no-deal Brexit on the way.

again, public debt isnt really a major problem globally, its actually private debt, but public debt is regularly cited as being a major problem, when in fact, its not really, its also very important to realise where the majority of that 200 billion of public debt came from!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭azimuth17

Such determined opposition even to aspirations. It might or might not happen, but people in Waterford are anxious to test the limits. I can imagine standing with you on the bank of some river in the African rift valley 100,000 years ago and suggesting we fell a tree to cross to see whats on the other side. I'd say we'd still be there.

Please feel free to post suggested remarks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

Falcon video of development https://youtu.be/i_8uGxRYBSM

azimuth17 wrote: »
    Such determined opposition even to aspirations. It might or might not happen, but people in Waterford are anxious to test the limits. I can imagine standing with you on the bank of some river in the African rift valley 100,000 years ago and suggesting we fell a tree to cross to see whats on the other side. I'd say we'd still be there.

Haha yes! Great analogy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

thomasm wrote: »
    Falcon video of development https://youtu.be/i_8uGxRYBSM

Which makes me wonder how accurate that rendering is, hopefully it's a bit speculative - it's a matter of taste but I'd love something more distinct and coherent than a collection of cubes and panels.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Which makes me wonder how accurate that rendering is, hopefully it's a bit speculative - it's a matter of taste but I'd love something more distinct and coherent than a collection of cubes and panels.

I would hate to be a wheelchair user trying to negotiate that layout as depicted in the video.

Hopefully it will be user friendly for all users.

azimuth17 wrote: »

You're still in Waterford aren't you. Where's your ambition. Trees in that town get cut down or carved into a sword. How many people will cross that river to the North Quays more than once.

You're still in Waterford aren't you. Where's your ambition. Trees in that town get cut down or carved into a sword. How many people will cross that river to the North Quays more than once.

The tree for that sword was never chopped down. It fell down by itself and was used as a result. Did you not see the roots?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I thought you were about to go all mystical for a moment and say it chopped itself down before being carved by a ancient spirit and levitated to Reggies Tower.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement