Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€300M Investment into Waterford City

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

Really a big optimist about the whole North Quays development. I think it has the capacity to change the face of Waterford for the better. Have to say though, I am slightly disappointed by the video released last week of the development. Out of all the mock ups I've seen to date, it's by far the least interesting in my opinion. Also, I hope I'm wrong but it looks quite prefabricated... it almost has a Railway Square feel about it which would be massively disappointing. Hopefully the finished product looks better and it doesn't date very badly.

So what exactly would impress you?

Its like there is a schedule or something.

First people whinge the site is an eyesore. When plans appear they whinge that it is never going to happen. Then as soon as it looks certain to happen they whinge that the development is disappointing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Given the scale of it you'd want to get it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Waterboy2014

BBM77 wrote: »
    So what exactly would impress you?

Its like there is a schedule or something.

First people whinge the site is an eyesore. When plans appear they whinge that it is never going to happen. Then as soon as it looks certain to happen they whinge that the development is disappointing.

I think you're reaction is a bit OTT. I was simply sharing an opinion. If you look at ALL my previous comments on this thread, I've been massively positive about this development. I am disappointed by current designs, think previously released designs (e.g. pitched roofs facing river) were more aesthetically interesting and had more of a wow factor. Think the current design is quite generic and looks similar to other large mall developments. I'll wait to have a proper look at planning document when it's out.

And I think the Transport Hub plans look really good so not all negative!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Deiseen

I think you're reaction is a bit OTT. I was simply sharing an opinion. If you look at ALL my previous comments on this thread, I've been massively positive about this development. I am disappointed by current designs, think previously released designs (e.g. pitched roofs facing river) were more aesthetically interesting and had more of a wow factor. Think the current design is quite generic and looks similar to other large mall developments. I'll wait to have a proper look at planning document when it's out.

Rob Cass has really bigged up the design, so if that is the final design then it's disappointing based solely on what he has said.

Disregarding his comments then it looks great.

I also think they are not the final design and there may be an ace the sleeve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

I could be wrong but I think there are escalators clearly in the plans. To the right of the main steps.

Maybe I mixed up Irish rails minimum requirements and actual design. Will take another look over the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

Does anyone know what's happening with regard to the row of cottages that runs up to the Top Oil service station? Some are still occupied. Will the end section still in use be retained or are CPO's in the post?

One of them, a 3 bed is for sale at the moment so I'd imagine they are staying as is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Maybe I mixed up Irish rails minimum requirements and actual design. Will take another look over the weekend.

Do Irish rail actually have ‘requirements’.....and design standards. I would say they are carbon copies of British rails

I thought planning was going in by the end of July at the latest?

Nearly Mid-August now and nothing.....

Deiseen wrote: »

Yea it's a pity that this has dragged on. August is a slow month so it's hard to imagine it being lodged before September.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,404 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

ah delays would be expected with these type of projects, id still be very hopeful it ll all happen eventually

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭rgmmg

Road-Hog wrote: »
    Do Irish rail actually have ‘requirements’.....and design standards. I would say they are carbon copies of British rails

Hornby

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Why is the bridge wall on Sally Park dual carriageway painted yellow.

Hopefully black doesn't appear next to it :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Waterford Walls is this month. Maybe someone getting a start on that?

So are we going to head into September with the plans still not submitted? It has all gone extremely quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

So are we going to head into September with the plans still not submitted? It has all gone extremely quiet.

August is one of the quietest months in a lot of professions, but particularly in the construction sector and Government.

Therefore the likelihood of anything being submitted in August was particularly remote.

hardybuck wrote: »
    August is one of the quietest months in a lot of professions, but particularly in the construction sector and Government.

Therefore the likelihood of anything being submitted in August was particularly remote.

But it wasn't supposed to be in August. It was supposed to be end of June, then definitely before end of July and then end of last week at the latest as Al Hokair had to sign it off.

If all it was waiting on was the sign off and submission, then August being quiet shouldn't come into it really.

But it wasn't supposed to be in August. It was supposed to be end of June, then definitely before end of July and then end of last week at the latest as Al Hokair had to sign it off.

If all it was waiting on was the sign off and submission, then August being quiet shouldn't come into it really.

When it wasn't July it was definitely not going to be August.

Anyone who had built even a kitchen extension knows the amount of planning involved in a construction project and delays are just a regular occurrence.

When it wasn't July it was definitely not going to be August.

Anyone who had built even a kitchen extension knows the amount of planning involved in a construction project and delays are just a regular occurrence.

In fairness, this isn't a kitchen. It's a €300 million euro development and a potential delay of 2 months can result a huge financial loss.

I think Rob produced a figure for how much a delay costs per day and it was fairly substantial.

In fairness, this isn't a kitchen. It's a €300 million euro development and a potential delay of 2 months can result a huge financial loss.

I think Rob produced a figure for how much a delay costs per day and it was fairly substantial.

Exactly - a project of this size is no doubt hugely complex, and would have a huge number of moving parts and inter dependencies.

I'm personally involved in a construction project at the moment, the planning authority recently asked a number of fairly straightforward questions that will result in a 6-8 week delay minimum straightaway even when everything is responded to as soon as is possible by us.

Any properly planned project will build contingency in for delays and unforeseen problems. I would have been openly questioning lots of aspects of this project, but this isn't something I'd be fussing about.

• Advertisement

Exactly - a project of this size is no doubt hugely complex, and would have a huge number of moving parts and inter dependencies.

I'm personally involved in a construction project at the moment, the planning authority recently asked a number of fairly straightforward questions that will result in a 6-8 week delay minimum straightaway even when everything is responded to as soon as is possible by us.

Any properly planned project will build contingency in for delays and unforeseen problems. I would have been openly questioning lots of aspects of this project, but this isn't something I'd be fussing about.

Yes, I understand all of this but as far as I understand, it was literally ready to go once it was signed off.

If this delay happened a few months back before it was ready for submission, or after it was submitted or during construction then i would fully understand but it's either printed and ready to go or it's not if you understand what I am saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭azimuth17

Awaiting a very long delayed Bord Pleanala decision on the pedestrian bridge? Unless that is passed, the project is at nothing. Decision supposed to be due some months ago was delayed to August. So must be expected soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Bards

Some sort of Saudi holiday I believe.. Meant to be signed off once holidays are over

Bards wrote: »
    Some sort of Saudi holiday I believe.. Meant to be signed off once holidays are over

That was the last excuse alright. The holiday end about a week and a half ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Dexpat

Been lurking for a long time. This is my first post.

I agree that August is a very slow month in many areas so the delay in the planning application may be just down to holidays and making sure everything is perfect.

However I wonder if Brexit is having any affect on the release of funding in relation to infrastructure and/or urban renewal. As far as I'm aware the dates for new tranches of funding haven't been released even though they should be due.

With the uncertainty of Brexit the goverment seem to be tightening the purse strings. The crash out Brexit budget will be very different to the budget if there is an agreement and at the moment the crash out one seems to be the one we'll get.

We know that Waterford has to fight for every cent so despite the North Quays being of huge benefit to Waterford and positive returns to the excheqer in the medium term, short-termisim may kick in as it usually does in this country. Hopefully the investors stick with it if that's the case despite giving a November deadline for the funding approval.
    Fingers crossed that it works out.

In relation to the bridge information request from an bord pleannala I don't think that it's critical to the north quays starting as mentioned here by Rob Cass. It seems to be a small technical issue that that won't mean the bridges refusal.

I've no connection with the project, just thoughts based on reading the thread and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Muttley79

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Falcon Real estate will pull the plug unless North Quay infrastructure funding is forthcoming by November 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

If I write something in italics some people might think that these are not my own words/thoughts.

(Hopefully they won't notice that I'm not quoting or linking any credible source.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

The link is in the previous post, dope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

vriesmays wrote: »
    The link is in the previous post, dope.

True colours.

Life ain't bad you know, enjoy the sunshine!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement