Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€300M Investment into Waterford City

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Bards

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Dexpat

Planning approval for the bridge is certainly great news but I don't think that this was ever in doubt. It's not part of the Falcoln development but obviously is critical to it.

The planing hasn't gone in yet for the North Quays and full funding for the infrastructure including the transport hub is doubtful (or maybe will be drip fed over a number of years).

Surely Falcon won't walk away in November having invested so muct time/ resources into it. Even if they did, the ground work has been done for major development of the site and now with planning and funding for the bridge it's a step closer. I wonder if the bridge would be build as a statement for the future even if it led to nowhere (for a while) if the overall development fell through.

It's a big few months ahead to see if the full planning goes in and whether extra funding comes through.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Dexpat wrote: »
    Planning approval for the bridge is certainly great news but I don't think that this was ever in doubt. It's not part of the Falcoln development but obviously is critical to it.

The planing hasn't gone in yet for the North Quays and full funding for the infrastructure including the transport hub is doubtful (or maybe will be drip fed over a number of years).

Surely Falcon won't walk away in November having invested so muct time/ resources into it. Even if they did, the ground work has been done for major development of the site and now with planning and funding for the bridge it's a step closer. I wonder if the bridge would be build as a statement for the future even if it led to nowhere (for a while) if the overall development fell through.

It's a big few months ahead to see if the full planning goes in and whether extra funding comes through.

Planning will certainly go through for the proposed development. It would turn a valuable site into and incredibly valuable site.

Whether Falcon or the ones to develop it or not remains to be seen.

David Cullinane spoke very well and was very positive on the issue earlier in the week. He’s wasted in Sinn Fein as he’d make a decent minister IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,404 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Gavlor wrote: »
    Planning will certainly go through for the proposed development. It would turn a valuable site into and incredibly valuable site.

David Cullinane spoke very well and was very positive on the issue earlier in the week. He’s wasted in Sinn Fein as he’d make a decent minister IMO.

supporting the idea of a much needed land value tax

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    supporting the idea of a much needed land value tax

Not at all. That tax is a deterrent to growth.

• Advertisement

Not at all. That tax is a deterrent to growth.

plenty of evidence to support its not, plenty of well respected economic commemorators talk about it in their work, explaining how it helps to deal with reducing the effects of wealth extraction and rentier behavior

plenty of evidence to support its not, plenty of well respected economic commemorators talk about it in their work, explaining how it helps to deal with reducing the effects of wealth extraction and rentier behavior

Let’s not go down that road on this thread again.

Gavlor wrote:
    Let’s not go down that road on this thread again.

Why bloody not!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

Dexpat wrote: »

Have to agree on cullinane. Very good speaker. Would be a minister achieving results if in any other party. Might never be a minister with Sein Fein.

Why bloody not!

Maybe start a thread entitled 'Land value tax supported by well respected economists to deal with the effects of weath extraction and 'rentier' behaviour'

If you even wanted to keep it in the Waterford forum maybe add 'in Waterford City' at the end of it

• Advertisement

Dexpat wrote:
    Maybe start a thread entitled 'Land value tax supported by well respected economists to deal with the effects of weath extraction and 'rentier' behaviour'

Thank you, but I think this should be apart of this thread, whereby a major foreign investor, who has significant interests in real estate, potentially could be investing in our city, I.e. wealth extraction and rentier behaviour in action

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭DLS_75

Not sure about David Cullinane. He's definitely capable but is being made to look a lot better than he actually is by being surrounded by terrible politicians such as Mary butler and John Halligan (and obviously MR No Show himself). I'd like to see Matt Shanahan and Eddie Mulligan get elected with Cullinane next year, so then he won't get that much of an easy time of things.

He hasn't put in any work on the North Quays - none of our TDs have - and that's something that needs to be addressed in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

DLS_75 wrote: »
    Not sure about David Cullinane. He's definitely capable but is being made to look a lot better than he actually is by being surrounded by terrible politicians such as Mary butler and John Halligan (and obviously MR No Show himself). I'd like to see Matt Shanahan and Eddie Mulligan get elected with Cullinane next year, so then he won't get that much of an easy time of things.

He hasn't put in any work on the North Quays - none of our TDs have - and that's something that needs to be addressed in the future.

Matt shanahan....have we not learned that table bangers are useless, just like halligan, nobody who matters will listen to him. We need people elected who are at least members of the parties who will be in government. I think mulligan is decent to be fair.

Thank you, but I think this should be apart of this thread, whereby a major foreign investor, who has significant interests in real estate, potentially could be investing in our city, I.e. wealth extraction and rentier behaviour in action

I take your point that is somewhat relevent but wealth extraction is surely taking over and charging for something already there .i.e making people pay for something they may already own. Wealth creation involves making something new happen/adding value, providing jobs and prosperity.

Surely the North Quays fit more into that category. Sure the company will make a profit. Theres nothing wrong with profit. They take a risk and get a reward. I'm fine with that as long as it's as sustainable as possible which it seems to be as it's right in the city centre.

I don't see any wealth being extracted from Waterford in this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

300m+ in means we're all being ripped off somehow!

300m+ in means we're all being ripped off somehow!

They should really be taxed on that. Let’s say 10% of the value back to central government coffers on an annual basis.

That’ll help the people of the south east and ensure that the system is fair and equitable for the man on the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

They should really be taxed on that. Let’s say 10% of the value back to central government coffers on an annual basis.

That’ll help the people of the south east and ensure that the system is fair and equitable for the man on the street.

The contrasting argument is that €300m of external FDI will be invested, and there will be taxes on the development incurred by the company, and the workers will pay income taxes etc. etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Given the chronic lack of public investment in Waterford, private capital needs to be encouraged to the max.

hardybuck wrote: »
    The contrasting argument is that €300m of external FDI will be invested, and there will be taxes on the development incurred by the company, and the workers will pay income taxes etc. etc.

You get that I was being sarcastic right??

You get that I was being sarcastic right??

Sorry I didn't!

• Advertisement

hardybuck wrote: »
    Sorry I didn't!

I wouldn’t trust the government to reinvest the value of my own taxes back into Waterford never mind the millions from any north quays tax!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Did anyone read the quotes from Eddie mulligan from last council meeting in local papers, paraphrasing slightly but he is quoted as saying along the following lines.......’who will be held to account if the north quays doesn’t go ahead’...’Waterford will be left with the most valuable zoned urban development site in europe’

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

Road-Hog wrote: »
    Did anyone read the quotes from Eddie mulligan from last council meeting in local papers, paraphrasing slightly but he is quoted as saying along the following lines.......’who will be held to account if the north quays doesn’t go ahead’...’Waterford will be left with the most valuable zoned urban development site in europe’

This is one thing I hate about the north quays project. Politicians have attached them like leeches to it. Wish the government and politicians could be taken out of the picture altogether.

BBM77 wrote: »
    This is one thing I hate about the north quays project. Politicians have attached them like leeches to it. Wish the government and politicians could be taken out of the picture altogether.

yea democracy sucks, plutocracy all the way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Gardner

Fianna Fail and Fianna Fail Lite :D

a single issue candidate with vested interests (MS) and an independent scab (EM). A LOT DONE MORE TO DO...

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭DLS_75

Gardner wrote: »
    Fianna Fail and Fianna Fail Lite :D

a single issue candidate with vested interests (MS) and an independent scab (EM). A LOT DONE MORE TO DO...

Well look, you're either a member of John Halligan's family or a member of his paramilatry style following so this response is of no surprise.

This is a man who went on WLR and declared that he delivered the second cath lab, crucially forgetting two things

1 - The cath lab hasn't been delivered yet.
    2 - The thousands of people who marhed the streets of waterford and dublin had more influence than he ever could.

Matt Shanahan is one of the more intelligent representatives that we've had in a while and I'm sure he'll shake things up at national level if he has the chance.

Eddie Mulligan works harder than any other politician out there, and to call him a scab, aside from being scandelous, just shows that you don't have anything else to throw at him other than him joining Fianna Fail, where I assume he thought he could exert more influence for Waterford.

Anyone looking tothrow something at your beloeved Halligan can pick from dozens of things. Aside from Deasy, he's the worst national politican we have ever had. A national laughing stock.

Just to confirm, a single policy candidate can't go to the Dail and just focus on their single policy item - because if they're lucky they might get about 20 mins over 5 years to talk about it.

It's the same for any candidate who thinks they can go up there and only represent Waterford - that's not how it works.

You've got to work with colleagues, either in your party or other independents you get on with, to help each others proposals get traction. Anyone worth their salt should also be involved in Oireachtas Committees which focus on national and sectoral issues.

So if anyone is chatting to Matt, or anyone else like him, ask him what he plans to focus on for the other 90% of his time up there, because if he only wants to talk about the hospital all the time he'll be having a conversation with himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Is something starting with the Michael St. development? I notice that park area has been boarded up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Gardner

Well look, you're either a member of John Halligan's family or a member of his paramilatry style following so this response is of no surprise.

This is a man who went on WLR and declared that he delivered the second cath lab, crucially forgetting two things

1 - The cath lab hasn't been delivered yet.
    2 - The thousands of people who marhed the streets of waterford and dublin had more influence than he ever could.

Matt Shanahan is one of the more intelligent representatives that we've had in a while and I'm sure he'll shake things up at national level if he has the chance.

Eddie Mulligan works harder than any other politician out there, and to call him a scab, aside from being scandelous, just shows that you don't have anything else to throw at him other than him joining Fianna Fail, where I assume he thought he could exert more influence for Waterford.

Anyone looking tothrow something at your beloeved Halligan can pick from dozens of things. Aside from Deasy, he's the worst national politican we have ever had. A national laughing stock.

sme craic :D:D:D

far as i'm concerned the 2nd Cath Lab is been built. all TD's in the South east have confirmed this and acknowledge this. next business case is for it to go 24/7. it will happen but it will take time. Herity report has been dismissed by all local representatives but yet we hear the same ****e coming from Matt Shanahand repetitivly. As Hardybuck said himself, a single issue candidate doesn't work. Dr Michael Harty is a prime example of this and note he is a doctor not like our medical sales rep Mr Shanahan :rolleyes: Matt is a very right wing independent as illustrated in how he voted in the Repeal the 8th referendum. Will be interesting to see how he votes when the right to die legislation comes before the people whether in this government or the next. will he have a chat with GOD?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭iseegirls

JohnC. wrote: »
    Is something starting with the Michael St. development? I notice that park area has been boarded up.

That was just done to stop the antisocial behaviour from what was happening, along with drug taking etc...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement