Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€300M Investment into Waterford City

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Deiseen

Teebor15 wrote: »
    Max Powers wrote: »
    Thousands of jobs on his constituents doorstep practically, it would be crazy to not support it.

From a common sense point of view it would be crazy not to.support it but this is politics where common sense is never in abundance. Phelan says nothing in support of the 24hr cardiac care which affects all his constitutes lives but goes bananas threatening to resign if a mythical line in the ground is moved which ironically benefits his constituency also..they just can't see it!

Those hospital marches were just token gestures..he really couldn't give a fiddlers!

The North Quays may be a stones throw from his house but it's just at the wrong side of the imaginary line in the ground (The county Boundary) He, like alot of his constitutes would like to see the North Quays fail as it might benefit Waterford. Cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Call me paranoid but it's the truth unfortunately!

Nope, your dead right.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Deiseen wrote: »
    Nope, your dead right.

Disagree,I think people in south kk would like to see thousands of jobs appear within a stones throw, they all want to work, have families, kids, just like the rest of us...if the other way around,I'd be delighted to see a couple thousand jobs appear in sliverue or kilmacow. Clearly, the boundary was an issue, but putting money in your pocket, jobs for your kids different.

Nope, your dead right.

Disagree,I think people in south kk would like to see thousands of jobs appear within a stones throw, they all want to work, have families, kids, just like the rest of us...if the other way around,I'd be delighted to see a couple thousand jobs appear in sliverue or kilmacow. Clearly, the boundary was an issue, but putting money in your pocket, jobs for your kids different.

Think you are underestimating what we are dealing with Max

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

couldn't agree more!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭914

I see on the history page on Facebook, some people are getting very excited about the possibility of the clock tower being dismantled and moved to facilitate the new footbridge, and quoting plans from 2008 -2014.

Even though the plans from this time clearly display the clock tower. I give up!!!

People looking for negativity and faults even before plans have been released!

• Advertisement

914 wrote: »
    I see on the history page on Facebook, some people are getting very excited about the possibility of the clock tower being dismantled and moved to facilitate the new footbridge, and quoting plans from 2008 -2014.

Even though the plans from this time clearly display the clock tower. I give up!!!

People looking for negativity and faults even before plans have been released!

I know,a few hysterical posts on facebook though, who cares.if bridge goes in, clock tower would probably have to be moved,I think its been moved before to widen quay road , it can be moved again, no biggie if its moved up/down quay somewhere IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

A footbridge at the Clock Tower would rule out any cruise traffic berthing on the quays.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

I think the proposed 'foot bridge' will be openable......in any case how much 'cruise traffic' berths upstream of clock tower at the moment. Not a huge amount I would think??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Not many but having a structure, even one that opens, halfway up the quays would cut the berthing/manoeuvring area in half, I suspect too small for safety. If the opening bridge were at the Tower then it would be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

I know,a few hysterical posts on facebook though, who cares.if bridge goes in, clock tower would probably have to be moved,I think its been moved before to widen quay road , it can be moved again, no biggie if its moved up/down quay somewhere IMO

With careful planning I'm sure bridge location will be such that click tower will remain in-situ......why would council want the burden of moving such a structure. Also who ever said it has been moved I. Not so recent past is seriously mistaken. Check out old maps on ordnance survey web site 'geo-hive' where you can overlay old maps on new ones!

• Advertisement

Road-Hog wrote: »
    With careful planning I'm sure bridge location will be such that click tower will remain in-situ......why would council want the burden of moving such a structure. Also who ever said it has been moved I. Not so recent past is seriously mistaken. Check out old maps on ordnance survey web site 'geo-hive' where you can overlay old maps on new ones!

Yeah, might be wrong, thought it was moved towards river small bit about 20 years approx ago, sounds like you're on the ball with this geo stuff..you're right about that alright, probably won't be moved unless for some important reason.Anyway, all in all, this is minor detail stuff in the whole plan

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭buzzinfly83

I'd be pleasantly surprised if this project goes ahead. The whole thing seems far fetched. Really hope it does happen it would be amazing for the city. It will change the whole look of the place. Something needs to happen in the North Quays.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

I had thought the project is contingent on a government investment of at least €50m. Eddie mulligan reckons €70m. Do we really have the political pull to get these funds?

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭buzzinfly83

I had thought the project is contingent on a government investment of at least €50m. Eddie mulligan reckons €70m. Do we really have the political pull to get these funds?

That's what I'm worried about.

That's the worrying part of the whole project it's government dependant! Their track record with Waterford hasn't been the best.

That's the worrying part of the whole project it's government dependant! Their track record with Waterford hasn't been the best.

They should be inundated with e-mails from people about it,tds, ministers, etc..let them know this is a big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Have any plans been submitted for this supposed development?

Plans for the project will be available for viewing in July

Plans for the project will be available for viewing in July

Very good thanks and has planning been applied for?

alta stare wrote: »
    Very good thanks and has planning been applied for?

Not sure of planning needs to be lodged as it's an SDZ area.

• Advertisement

Not sure of planning needs to be lodged as it's an SDZ area.

Ah right good stuff. I hope it goes ahead but i fear it wont. It seems all a bit odd as to why someone would invest such a large amount of money work and time into Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

This was all go a few months ago, Michael Walsh smiling on the front of the News and Star, and now.....not a peep about it. So is it just one of those things that will fizzle away to nothing? They really shouldn't be singing it from the rooftops a while back when it will more than likely come to nothing. Typical Waterford.

This was all go a few months ago, Michael Walsh smiling on the front of the News and Star, and now.....not a peep about it. So is it just one of those things that will fizzle away to nothing? They really shouldn't be singing it from the rooftops a while back when it will more than likely come to nothing. Typical Waterford.

Yeah you're right, this things usually start straight away without any planning what so ever and are finished within weeks. Disgraceful stuff altogether.

....not a peep about it. So is it just one of those things that will fizzle away to nothing? They really shouldn't be singing it from the rooftops a while back when it will more than likely come to nothing. Typical Waterford.

This is what i fear is going to happen. It has all the hallmarks of a con or a brilliant prank which Waterford isnt in on :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

This is what i fear is going to happen. It has all the hallmarks of a con or a brilliant prank which Waterford isnt in on :D

Literally everyone I have spoken to about this has taken an attitude of "Ha, ill believe that when I see it" when this is mentioned. Its funny, the Council are as quick as you like when it comes to tearing up the Quay and various roads around the city but when it comes to inward investment, they cant even get that right, going on record to say in the News and Star that a deal is only "weeks away", and that was back in February. Fcuking hell :rolleyes:

Literally everyone I have spoken to about this has taken an attitude of "Ha, ill believe that when I see it" when this is mentioned. Its funny, the Council are as quick as you like when it comes to tearing up the Quay and various roads around the city but when it comes to inward investment, they cant even get that right, going on record to say in the News and Star that a deal is only "weeks away", and that was back in February. Fcuking hell :rolleyes:

Yeah id be one of those who will only believe it when im walking through the building :D but sssssh no one is allowed be skeptical so lets toe the line and believe it is happening. Ah no to be fair it would be great but yeah i dont see it happening, like why Waterford? I think someone in the council is being trolled and they fell for it big time :D

Yeah id be one of those who will only believe it when im walking through the building :D but sssssh no one is allowed be skeptical so lets toe the line and believe it is happening. Ah no to be fair it would be great but yeah i dont see it happening, like why Waterford? I think someone in the council is being trolled and they fell for it big time :D

Waterford fell behind big time and didn't have any major development during the boom. It is prime for development and no other city centre has a site on the scale of the North Quays, right in its city centre ready for development. Throw in the SDZ planning and then why not?

Waterford fell behind big time and didn't have any major development during the boom. It is prime for development and no other city centre has a site on the scale of the North Quays, right in its city centre ready for development. Throw in the SDZ planning and then why not?

You are spot on, why not, but come on some Arabs planning a 300million development in a small city in South East Ireland seems a bit odd to be fair. If it was a consortium from the UK, America Europe id believe it more. There are far more places in which these Arabs could invest and more so in the UK so its a bit odd they chose Waterford.

You are spot on, why not, but come on some Arabs planning a 300million development in a small city in South East Ireland seems a bit odd to be fair. If it was a consortium from the UK, America Europe id believe it more. There are far more places in which these Arabs could invest and more so in the UK so its a bit odd they chose Waterford.

They have stores in the UK and why in the hell would they build anything new in the UK with Brexit heating up? In fact, as far as I know, part of this development will be geared towards capitalising on Brexit.

• Advertisement

They have stores in the UK and why in the hell would they build anything new in the UK with Brexit heating up? In fact, as far as I know, part of this development will be geared towards capitalising on Brexit.

So you are saying because of Brexit they would not build in the UK? Can you tell me why and would that not mean they could possibly pull out of the UK altogether. Brexit or not the UK has a bigger population than Ireland witj bigger cities heck even some of their towns are bigger than our cities so it would still be viable for them to build and operate in the UK more so than Waterford.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement