Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raised planter beds

Options
  • 21-03-2017 3:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

Hi all

Have a patch of our back garden fenced off as a veg garden for the last two years. So far all I've managed is some messy spuds carrots onions and the occasional broad beans and lettuce plant. It is a lot of work as we're quite rural and weeds take hold quite quick (get airborne when the farmers around us cut their fields and so it's near impossible to keep them down).

Was thinking that maybe installing raised beds might help with the weed problem? I have some scrap metal left over from a shed that got killed in one of the storms last winter and could pick up some timber. Anyone got any ideas or seen this done? Am i correct in thinking the raised beds will help with the weed problem? What could I install at ground level around the raised beds to walk on that might be less susceptible to weeds?

I don't have as much time to put into the garden as i would like anymore as we have had a new arrival and he doesn't quite understand that spuds need to go in the ground a.s.a.p!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭phormium

I have raised beds for veg/fruit, between them I put down strips of old carpet and gravel on top, easy to walk on, doesn't get muddy and keeps down weeds.

I am in town so no farmers weeds blowing this way but I still get a good few weeds in the planters when they are left bare this time of the year. Just went out and cleared them all last week, had nettles and other big weeds I don't know the name of in them. Quick enough to clean off though.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

I grew veg in a raised bed and a non-raised bed (if you know what i mean) last year. Keeping the raised beds weed free was far easier, have put in another few now.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭wicky9

Thanks for the replies folks. I've salvaged some materials from a few failed projects and i think I'll crack on with the raised beds over the next few weeks. Thanks again

Advertisement