Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non mainstream A1 bikes - experiences?

• 21-03-2017 8:55am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,782 ✭✭✭✭

As my young lad is on the cusp of a bike, I've been looking at the various A1 choices out there.

Ideally I'd be looking at the big Jap manufacturers but when you see some of the prices - €5600 for the Yamaha R125 for example - that's just nuts. He'll fall off it, and if he doesn't, as soon as the 2 years is up, he'll be on to A2 (for which there is a much wider choice). Yes, I'm aware and have looked at CB125F so that's on the list. A YBR125 I haven't managed to see yet. Indeed at the recent bike show there was only 1 A1 bike at the entire show.....

So, I started looking at other brands and saw some nice, and some awful, alternatives.

So, has anyone got experience of, say, Sinnis, Kymco, Keeway, or any other non-obvious brands you can share ?

The usual things : reliability, quality of finish, availability/price of spares,value etc (no point in buying something completely unsaleable in 2 years time)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭mamax

I've always thought trail bikes like the old kmx125 (or whatever the modern equivalent is) were a good bike to learn on, they are very forgiving on irish roads for a novice rider.
    But if he's into road bikes that's a bit different I suppose but I'd be getting him something cheap and cheerful for a first road going bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭CaptainR

I have a 2008 YBR125 that I haven't really used since I got my ER5 last September. I'll be selling that soon I think and from what I've been reading and talking to people I should be looking for a grand if that helps give you an idea.

If I were you I'd go for something like that or maybe a bit newer, just be careful of getting an ex delivery/couriers one.

There's no way I'd buy new if I wasn't going to have it for years. I'd say you could get your son an older bike for 1000-1500 and sell it after a year or two and recoup most of the money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭GBX

The YBR is a fantastic bike - ideal to start out on. Personally I'd avoid the Kymco etc - they tend to be plentiful on Donedeal because they are harder bikes to sell on than the big 4 etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,782 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

mamax wrote: »
    I've always thought trail bikes like the old kmx125 (or whatever the modern equivalent is) were a good bike to learn on, they are very forgiving on irish roads for a novice rider.
    But if he's into road bikes that's a bit different I suppose but I'd be getting him something cheap and cheerful for a first road going bike.

That would be ideal, but I couldn'tget a quote on one a while ago. Is that even A1 legal though ?

That's the problem : there is no modern equivalent by the big brands as far as I can see.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭mamax

Something like this > https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/honda-xr-125/14630782

All the 125 should be under 12kw or at least they used to be
    I had loads of similar when I was in my teens, kmx125, ts125, mtx etc
    They chew up tyres, chain & sprockets, brake pads, wheel bearings and blow the odd piston lol but apart from that they are great for young lads to learn to ride and repair, keep him away from the cbr125 and the like he'll have enough of that when he gets his full A

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭KonFusion

Why are you only considering new bikes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,782 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

KonFusion wrote: »
    Why are you only considering new bikes?

I'm not - but when you consider the likes of the a lot of the 'Jap' bikes are actually no longer built in Japan (BMW 310 & G650, China. Suzuki's, Korea. Honda, (Grom is made in Thailand, CBF125 is made in India), but they also make in, Brazil, Spain. Yamaha make in Brazil, Italy. Kawasaki, Taiwan. Even Triumph Bonneville, Thailand), then you must wonder if buying a brand from that market directly would be give better value, and wouldn't the quality be the same ?

And then you see the prices: a new Keeway RKV125 for instance (who own Benelli btw, and there's a hint of that in some of them), for €2700 - then a €5700 Yamaha 125 (actually made by Minarelli) is eye opening.

I've had an (awful) Chinese quad years ago and vowed to not repeat the experience, so my kids have ridden Honda's since. (Ironically, I've no idea where they're actually made !)

But there comes a time when people catch up, and wondering if that has already happened.

The big thing for me really is quality of finish: will the thing rust just by looking at it ? Will bits fall off ? Tbh, I think the engines are the last things that will give trouble, it's more likely to be the cycle/frame and electric parts.

Look at these for example, on a (virtually) new bike with only 422kms on it - and it's parked indoors overnight..... :
    hAaZ7wUnXVTQ2OtaXNLtinjqOz4_5XHDUyq0PxysRvP0AEKGjs-rFfgCHvGhP41bABOrSYannEU5qVr6ErQ1hFYV1_wcajOogUiV6CzynbKRnY-kc1edAM8QpM1N-xaXhCm92GEUTKl3S0mqtfDINZJNL0askKnZuwOGy2YRDr5l2cbGYu2qeSXy7YF6YGDZoqip_VeYNohJBTk6GoY_iLC_-fPui0I4gFJUYrwfYDaJYhArZDJQejHTbpWR5121QUtYAu7gWArFikSTNw8CTMaE4B4moH0NpyLSM2DSaiLU5uGKpb-0oYyiRsGNDbb09PmTWEWJsg7Q225A64g9dM97tlh_ubrJalC9dw4Gs2zexgbihJ-3Ott2aTYoaCXHX7ACWpeOtbaWmkMEswxYrMOAYUSTWQUvzQPOqVlrEVv8zapNlEvLz8lRXlJufpRYPGQkosyw3dLba-AP9oc6V3d2QiV3PBDPBG57wm7o3pA0OQ3Vr-fMfNFLk3D7lOOx0q6JFvagzjVzMpCC9VkRzK5qS0hDDxsv7HXetCwQNRR0NXH5eRLB52e21vilOhCTsGuU1jH3T9L65bw9vlk2YeXPu1poc0skMFFUddWgLHjzk_Mx-APQK3rVuvRwIGl_dI2nvtLtIFlD37Iycbp2TQFFl1305Zo1d9ABJlWgCgI=w1903-h1070-no

Or this:

ZpdmJs-58Gbuzwd-eaWudgvGSZ8_O3ZOuyqUoGpP7ivv593KzIMGA7M0lkQBoWtJjxc3ovLr2I_LFdkEtEOFrxW31H4pbbMXv4z2Rsb91d26P97ZDHkuTMP5R984rg9jGZCgDXWTJBoaj5cRX9pPqnO1DpoVKALfqfpR4EsamMp0DwuNDO48azRe6HwA4lcIR5u4nVx3CSdYTCH7bGTDFPe_hSpymR_Bv95gXBxONEBqWAbSfR6tsR2Ti3gJ0wlIIAXnea2eSC0a58gi_q1Z1UBZRhfXyqgc6cDNzq-NlPkOYEE2vcTwGGk_2kmeERGWpMADZ0fmkA5TF8A4MoaYabl82_TwfAX-vaj4NEBy_GFvudATZUwOOx7_gH9sTfrdXxU1_p5wik0tW7h7mrCiBbhEcUnFXDg8wwMGv3zxKn4vx_ANzkFBGgKN3IpnZtV47OabV34V7o6abdt5QTcQZErKZLLPK3iG0-E3T5WUh3wEmGJrTdgFFGZ1TIQOpHMjfR_9MGD-78mxxhMO6b7R_8XX74tW82lbaDyy2ItDmSm-VINxI5qhrgm9a5A-OkTjTTRO-SKrpEe_13aJQ3x6smIdukmu5Zj_-YlpF8yx0Ba1SW_CcB1TgnaQm6pQMrEFZJyP14xbWcNVb29uZzKFfXoHXR04lvBkijHP_waWTUU=w603-h1070-no

Ode To The Motorist

Advertisement