Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ET101 Regulations in Ireland - Electrical work in a bathroom

Options
  • 21-03-2017 9:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Good morning,
    I have a question regarding electrical installation standards in Ireland:
    ET101 at table 52A states: "Sheathed cables without metal screen or armouring can be installed..."
    at point 4a: "...embedded in solid walls within 150mm of room edges or in a horizontal or vertical run going directly to a point or accessory"
    I'm doing electrical work inside a bathroom, so I refer to chapter 7; point 701.522.6.01 of ET101 does not state anything about those 150mm.
    My conclusion is that since I'm doing electrical installations in a bathroom, I must ignore what table 52A says, and I have to refer to chapter 7, therefore cables must be mechanically protected.
    What do you think?
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Hoagy

Emerald89 wrote: »
    Good morning,
    I have a question regarding electrical installation standards in Ireland:
    ET101 at table 52A states: "Sheathed cables without metal screen or armouring can be installed..."
    at point 4a: "...embedded in solid walls within 150mm of room edges or in a horizontal or vertical run going directly to a point or accessory"
    I'm doing electrical work inside a bathroom, so I refer to chapter 7; point 701.522.6.01 of ET101 does not state anything about those 150mm.
    My conclusion is that since I'm doing electrical installations in a bathroom, I must ignore what table 52A says, and I have to refer to chapter 7, therefore cables must be mechanically protected.
    What do you think?
    Thanks in advance

Does paragraph a) in 6.01 not cover your situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Emerald89

Hoagy wrote: »
    Does paragraph a) in 6.01 not cover your situation?
    Thanks for your reply.
    Paragraph a) in 6.01 states that not mechanically protected cables can be installed embedded in the walls of the bathroom with distance between the wiring and the "reverse side of the wall" not less than 50mm.

I don't know why it states the "reverse side" instead of "within... of room edges"; anyway i was looking for someone to confirm me that i should ignore table 52A since i'm installing in a bathroom

Well as I read 52A (4) the 150mm from room edges is only applicable for wiring not in a horizontal or vertical run going directly to a point or accessory.

Hoagy wrote: »
    Well as I read 52A (4) the 150mm from room edges is only applicable for wiring not in a horizontal or vertical run going directly to a point or accessory.
    Clear, so basically the "150mm from room edges" is not applicable to bathroom wirings.
    While cables in bathrooms can be embedded in walls and mechanically unprotected only if the wiring is installed in a straight vertical or horizontal run going directly to a point or accessory (and distance between wiring and reverse side of the wall > 50mm)

Clear, so basically the "150mm from room edges" is not applicable to bathroom wirings.
    While cables in bathrooms can be embedded in walls and mechanically unprotected only if the wiring is installed in a straight vertical or horizontal run going directly to a point or accessory (and distance between wiring and reverse side of the wall > 50mm)

Yes you're correct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Section 701 contains additional requirements in a room containing a bath or shower. All other rules still apply unless stated otherwise. Also, to be pedantic, the cables always require mechanical protection - the sheath of an insulated and sheathed cable is there to provide mechanical protection to the cable.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Risteard81 wrote: »
    Section 701 contains additional requirements in a room containing a bath or shower. All other rules still apply unless stated otherwise.

Agree 100%.

Statistically a bathroom is a dangerous place from an electrical perspective.
    For this reason there are more arduous regulations in place to mitigate the risk.

Nowhere in ET101 doesn't state that there is any sort of derogation on the "150mm from room edges" rule for bathrooms.
    This simply would not make sense.

Risteard81 wrote: »
    Section 701 contains additional requirements in a room containing a bath or shower. All other rules still apply unless stated otherwise. Also, to be pedantic, the cables always require mechanical protection - the sheath of an insulated and sheathed cable is there to provide mechanical protection to the cable.
    2011 wrote: »
    Agree 100%.

Statistically a bathroom is a dangerous place from an electrical perspective.
    For this reason there are more arduous regulations in place to mitigate the risk.

Nowhere in ET101 doesn't state that there is any sort of derogation on the "150mm from room edges" rule for bathrooms.
    This simply would not make sense.

Ok, but in any case:
    wirings embedded in walls with distance between wiring and walls being less than 50mm always have to be mechanically protected by means of an earthed metal screen, armouring, metal conduit or trunking.
    Is that correct?

Advertisement