Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pending transactions doesn't make sense

Options
  • 21-03-2017 10:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I've noticed a recurring issue with my online account when I check the pending transactions section. There are several transactions that took place over a week ago that had already appeared as pending, then disappeared leaving me to assume they'd been paid (especially since my account balance went down appropriately). For example, my gym membership fee came out on the 15th, my account balance went down while it still appeared as in pending for the 16th, then it disappeared and when I check my account today it's showing that it was still in pending as of the 20th. 

Some food I ordered last week that came out of my account immediately is also showing up as pending under today the 21st. This keeps happening with several items pending despite my balance having decreased and then my account suddenly drops, like it did last night by 70 euros. Some transactions don't appear at all. 

I do keep tabs on my spending anyway but when I'm checking my account and I have pending transactions constantly changing and repeating itself it's making it impossible to keep track of my money and now I'm suddenly down 70 euros that I thought I had already paid. I don't understand how something can appear as pending for over a week when the money has clearly come out of my account, or how something can appear as pending, then clear, then appear as pending again.

As online banking is down today yet again I can't go through my account in detail. I've never heard of other bank users having this issue and I'm on the verge of changing banks because it's such a messy and confusing system and makes it impossible to keep track of my money. Any advice on this would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

the system is a bit of a joke,some transactions appear then clear,and appear again,recently had few cash backs,they cleared,spent that money,next day log into account see full money there in the balance,next day it corrected itself,thus if you try to keep track use notepad or smth else since only way to see them is months statement otherwise youll always get random ones re appear.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 MellBell

scamalert wrote: »
    the system is a bit of a joke,some transactions appear then clear,and appear again,recently had few cash backs,they cleared,spent that money,next day log into account see full money there in the balance,next day it corrected itself,thus if you try to keep track use notepad or smth else since only way to see them is months statement otherwise youll always get random ones re appear.
    It's a crap system! There's been a few times I've checked my account at night and there's duplicates of things showing up, like a Lidl purchase showing up 3 times and my account balance not adding up with what's come out. Even keeping my own tabs of what I'm spending is practically impossible when your account makes no sense whatsoever. 

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

I have constantly had this problem, so much so that Christmas before last I was 2 weeks without cash as the transactions were debiting, crediting and then debiting again.

It doesn't happen with AIB. Once a transaction goes through, balance reduces and stays that way.

It's a major problem that BOI need to address. Not good enough to tell customers to keep a track of everything their spending, we're not back in the old days when you had to do a bank rec all the time.

If banks are trying to encourage cashless transactions this is completely the wrong way to go about it. I've gone back to taking out cash for my daily spending.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara P

Hi,

Thank you for your post here.

Sorry to hear that you are unhappy with the online service.

When transactions appear on your 365 Online as pending these will be debited from your balance and update your account with new your new available balance.

When the pending transactions update they will appear in your completed transactions. Transactions appear as completed once retailer fully processes the transaction, we do not have any control over when the retailer does this.

We’ll certainly pass on your feedback to our online team.

Thanks,

Tara C

Hi,

When transactions appear on your 365 Online as pending these will be debited from your balance and update your account with new your new available balance.

When the pending transactions update they will appear in your completed transactions. Transactions appear as completed once retailer fully processes the transaction, we do not have any control over when the retailer does this.

Thanks,

Tara C
    Thanks Tara, I understand that individual retailers process sales at their own pace and that certain things take longer to appear, my issue is with things jumping about in the pending transactions section and repeatedly disappearing and reappearing, in this case over the course of more than a week, making me think I have successfully paid something only to have it reappear as pending again. The BOI system needs to be fixed in order to reflect transactions better. I know it's nothing to do with you but I really would appreciate it if the team responsible for this would take this into account as compared to other banks it's just unnecessarily confusing and misleading and I'm clearly not the only one having this issue.

• Advertisement

pilly wrote: »
    I have constantly had this problem, so much so that Christmas before last I was 2 weeks without cash as the transactions were debiting, crediting and then debiting again.

It doesn't happen with AIB. Once a transaction goes through, balance reduces and stays that way.

It's a major problem that BOI need to address. Not good enough to tell customers to keep a track of everything their spending, we're not back in the old days when you had to do a bank rec all the time.

If banks are trying to encourage cashless transactions this is completely the wrong way to go about it. I've gone back to taking out cash for my daily spending.
    Yeah I hate carrying cash with me and much prefer paying with card but after the shock I had checking my account this morning to see things that had disappeared from pending reappear there, and with my balance 70 quid down, I think I'll have to start using cash again. Or just switch to AIB since they don't have this issue at all. :rolleyes:

Hi,

Thanks,

Tara C
    Hi Tara C,

I've had the same answer in branch and it's just not true. The issue people are having is that pending transactions appear and then disappear, so your balance goes down and then back up again, sometimes in the same day. It also happens with completed transactions. They appear, disappear and reappear.

It is not a problem with retailers because this issue doesn't happen with AIB.

Regards,

Paula.

Hi,

When the retailer does not process the transaction for a number of days this is what will cause the transactions to disappear from your pending transactions.

The transactions will only update once the retailer has fully processed the transaction. We’d have no control over when a retailer processes the payment.

We will pass on your feedback to our online team.

Thanks,

Tara C

Hi,

When the retailer does not process the transaction for a number of days this is what will cause the transactions to disappear from your pending transactions.

The transactions will only update once the retailer has fully processed the transaction. We’d have no control over when a retailer processes the payment.

Thanks,

Tara C
    So why does that not happen to AIB?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

Hi,

Thanks,

Tara C
    How would someone in BOI know that?

• Advertisement

snowflaker wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks,

Tara C
    How would someone in BOI know that?
    My point is that BOI are blaming the retailers on this issue. It's not a retailer issue because it doesn't happen with other banks.

Have finally been able to get into my online banking and there's still all the same things appearing as pending as there was yesterday, going back as far as the 16th, despite the fact they've clearly come out of my account because I'm down 70 from yesterday. Another messy and confusing part of this system - if they've cleared why are they still showing up as pending? I honestly have no idea what I've actually paid for and what I still have to pay for.

MellBell wrote: »
    Have finally been able to get into my online banking and there's still all the same things appearing as pending as there was yesterday, going back as far as the 16th, despite the fact they've clearly come out of my account because I'm down 70 from yesterday. Another messy and confusing part of this system - if they've cleared why are they still showing up as pending? I honestly have no idea what I've actually paid for and what I still have to pay for.
    Hi MellBell,

The transactions will still appear as pending transactions on your Banking 365 Online if they have not yet been fully processed by the retailer.

Sorry if this caused you any inconvenience.

Tara C

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭CryWolf

I am also perplexed with this system.  It seems to have got worse.  Sometimes pending transactions appear for days!!  How long should it take for pending transactions to clear?  I got a message this morning from BOI to say make sure you have enough money in your Account to pay a DD and it gets paid automatically every week when pay goes into Bank Account?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Jennifer

CryWolf wrote: »
    I am also perplexed with this system.  It seems to have got worse.  Sometimes pending transactions appear for days!!  How long should it take for pending transactions to clear?  I got a message this morning from BOI to say make sure you have enough money in your Account to pay a DD and it gets paid automatically every week when pay goes into Bank Account?

Hi CryWolf,

Thanks for getting in touch with us. Please refer to the thread for our response in relation to pending transactions on an account. Please be assured that Direct debits are looked for very first thing in the morning if there is insufficient funds in the account at this time it would generate a text message to be sent to you advising that the Direct Debit due on your account. If then the credit of your wages is applied to your account the Direct Debit will be paid out as normal.

Please feel free to get back in touch if we can help you with anything else.

Thanks Jen

Hi CryWolf,

Thanks for getting in touch with us. Please refer to the thread for our response in relation to pending transactions on an account. Please be assured that Direct debits are looked for very first thing in the morning if there is insufficient funds in the account at this time it would generate a text message to be sent to you advising that the Direct Debit due on your account. If then the credit of your wages is applied to your account the Direct Debit will be paid out as normal.

Please feel free to get back in touch if we can help you with anything else.

Thanks Jen

Not good enough Jen

And today another problem with Bank Of Ireland tried to get extra money out of Account and message “Card Issuer has declined this transaction”. Even though I am in credit to a few hundred. [snipped]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭katiek102010

I have had this over the last month and I am now down over 100 quid and I can't understand how. 

The transaction had shown as cleared and after a deposit of over 70 went in the balance was lower than what it was initially.

I am now considering closing my bank of Ireland account as this is not acceptable. The transaction in questions took place at the end of March was showing at the end of March.  Balance appeared correct yet it is showing now as 9th April.  This means I have to travel and take approx 2 hours to go to a branch and do a lodgment for direct debits to go through next week.

It's crazy.  You have a serious issue and it needs to get sorted.  

Yes

And well as that, Bank Of Ireland had a top class online banking facility for a number of years. Now though, you blame the retailers all it is with this bank is a blame game. You are not to be trusted with your standard reply emails. Treating your customers this way is an absolute disgrace!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Jennifer

CryWolf wrote: »

Not good enough Jen

And today another problem with Bank Of Ireland tried to get extra money out of Account and message “Card Issuer has declined this transaction”. Even though I am in credit to a few hundred. [snipped]

We are sorry that you are unhappy with our previous response. If you are experiencing difficulty with using your Visa Debit Card we would ask that you review your emails and Text messages to see if you have received an email or text message from our Card Security Team. For account specific queries we would advise that you raise this by logging into your account through a Pc/Laptop, Select Service Desk and Ask a Question. Alternatively you can call our Customer Service Team on 0818 365 365 and one of our advisors will be happy to look into this for you.

If you remain unhappy with any aspects of our service or responses to you here on Boards and would like to make a formal complaint please see here for our complaints process.

Thanks Jen

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Sonicaesthetic

I made a purchase from Lenovo on the 25th and got charged by them then but for some reason I have noticed that it says “transaction in progress” for 1st of September and seems that the same amount of money is being taken out. It shows my bank has gone down again. I’m not too sure on how to do this. But why am I being double charged? I have received my one laptop. But I don’t know why I’m being charged twice?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Richard F

Hi Sonicaesthetic,

Thanks for your question today.

Can we ask is this transaction still appearing twice on your account? Sometimes transactions will appear twice on your account during bookkeeping hours. If both transactions are still showing, it is likely that the merchant voided one transaction and represented for it. In this case, the second transaction will fall off the account after 5 working days. This will also reflect in your balance.

Please don't hesitate to get back in touch if we can help any further.

Thanks,
    Richard

Advertisement